Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Bows: Part II

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

Default Forgotten Bows: Part II

I know this may stir up some controversy, so I will try to keep it as objective as possible...

For those of you who didn't play Pocket Legends, I will let you know about the forgotten bows. There was a week long event in PL in which a special boss dropped new weapons called the Forgotten weapons. The mage and the warrior weapons were so so, but the bow was incredibly good. Not only were they good, but if you knew how to farm them, they would drop like rain. One might ask: what is wrong with this? These weapons were so good that they changed twink pvp and changed the twink weapon market. Now everyone from bears, to mages, to birds were all using bows in pvp, and weapons which had been in the past very expensive were suddenly worthless. This cause much controversy and much argument on the forums, with the bows being eventually partially nerfed, but it was too late as the damage had already been done.

So why do I bring this up? I see a similar situation with the Tarlok legendary gear. This gear is incredibly overpowered at a few twink levels. For example if you compare the sorcerer top damage gear from season one (clever demonologist of grace/fitness) at lvl15 to the top damage tarlok gear (helm, armor, heart of assault) at lvl15, every single stat is improved with the damage increasing by approximately 15%!

Name:  IMG_20131214_025344.jpg
Views: 1781
Size:  279.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20131214_025425.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  188.6 KB

I understand the need to infuse the market with more elite/legendary twink gear as the stuff from seasons gone by are no longer farmable, and the number of items in circulation decreases as people leave the game, essentially taking their gear with them. This is especially true of some merchs who may have amassed hoards of these items and no longer play. This would all be good if this happened under two conditions: 1) the gear was not blatantly better or worse than old gear, but added some variety to the game; and 2) the gear was difficult to farm and did not flood the market. Unfortunately, neither of these conditions were met, with the new gear being substantially better than old gear in some cases, and with the gear already flooding the market only a few days into this month long event. Just take a look in the auction house and you will see what I mean, even at low levels which should theoretically be hard to farm for. Having farmed myself at several twink levels it is just far too easy if you are willing to spend a little plat. This has just killed the twink gear market with prices plummeting and forcing many players to buy new sets of gear. Now I and not a merch, but more of a collector, and I will not get rid of all my old gear just because prices dropped, but this is a little dissapointing.

I think the winter event has been a fun and great event so far, but I think the new items are just too overpowered and are dropping far too easily. The new items should be rarer, considering that we have a whole month to farm for them. They should also be different yet somewhat equivalent to old elite legendary gear, being better in some stats, but worse in others.

Please let me know what you all think.
    Last edited by drgrimmy; 12-14-2013 at 06:40 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to drgrimmy For This Useful Post:

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

Agreed. The Architect set which I paid 100k+ for is being shown up by the Tarlok set I bought for 1k...something wrong?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alhuntrazeck View Post
    Agreed. The Architect set which I paid 100k+ for is being shown up by the Tarlok set I bought for 1k...something wrong?
    Well actually, I'm pretty sure tarlok should have a low drop chance, but since that glitch came, people could farm much easier with tonsa stock in few days thats why tarlok are cheap..
    Judgementals, Retired Officer of Rated M.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

i think its fair, after all thats event gear only.....no longer available after event, plus the really low drop rate after sts fix the glitch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    259 Posts

Yep its unfair and unfortunate for those who will start doing twink pvp. Look at how many tarlok assault(warrior), there are only few or almost nothing to buy. There are many warrior twinks who are in demand. Anyways there are still 3weeks til the event ends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

Hard to farm for? Look at the inventory in the auction house for this top lvl15 mage helm only 5 days into the event. There is also 4-5 times as many of these items in the auction house than there was during the glitch. I can speak from experience that with a good team willing to spend a little plat this stuff is not hard to farm for. Just think how many the game will be flooded by in a months time. And this is for a helm which is significantly better that the prior top helm which was rare and went for hundreds of thousands of gold before the event. This is really killing the twink gear market, although those farming for them are not going to admit it because they are making a killing at the moment.

Name:  IMG_20131214_090024.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  259.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_20131214_085946.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  257.2 KB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

And unlike previous hellish items which is epic at twink lvl, the Tarlok gear is legendary type that will be more overpowered after gem socketed.
    This reminds me the previous pirate ring which is even better than mythic ring. (Though dev claimed it's a bug and fixed.)

It is good to bring lots of new items into the game, but they should not make the new items dominate old ones statwise. This will ruin the value of previous discontinued items, and players would get confused whether they should buy current top gears, or wait till next event when better gears will come.

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts

Hopefully they will get a nerf, considering the op-ness. If they were compared to PL's forg bows, (against the same level weapon) they wouldn't be AS op, but I see them being a problem in the future. If they end up being a problem, I'm sure STS will nerf them, they just need to know about it, hence the thread. Cheers to Drgrimmy for bringing this problem up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Generally, in STG games, the holiday gear is the best gear one can get for a twink. Gears change and so does the gameplay. People had an entire year to enjoy the L15 gear, now it's time for a new set to come along.

The amount of players that have bought the gear already, to ask for a rollback on them is simply not fair. Sure, you could argue that the L15 discontinued cap gear players also lost a lot from, but what I've learned from STG is that never to invest. It's simply to risky and there can always be better gear versions released at any moment.

The amount of people who've bought this gear > amount of people who lost money on L15 cap gear.

Also, note, that this is said from someone who is not making a killing off of them.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Generally, in STG games, the holiday gear is the best gear one can get for a twink. Gears change and so does the gameplay. People had an entire year to enjoy the L15 gear, now it's time for a new set to come along.

The amount of players that have bought the gear already, to ask for a rollback on them is simply not fair. Sure, you could argue that the L15 discontinued cap gear players also lost a lot from, but what I've learned from STG is that never to invest. It's simply to risky and there can always be better gear versions released at any moment.

The amount of people who've bought this gear > amount of people who lost money on L15 cap gear.

Also, note, that this is said from someone who is not making a killing off of them.
    I hear what you're saying, but why would people be expected to buy new gear for their twinks every new couple seasons? Some people only twink, and don't farm/don't have a main. I know this isn't necessarily my problem, but it seems as when new "better" gear comes out, the gear before that loses its value. Then the new gear is expensive, and the twinks don't have enough gold to buy the new gear, even if they sell their gear (since its value has decreased) Like I said, it's not really my problem since I farm and I make my own gold, more than enough to twink, but what about the hundreds that actually do only twink?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

If the new gear is dropping too much then it will be cheap to buy now. But I'm guessing once this event ends then the prices will go up for tarlok twink gear. So its a good thing to have more Tarlok gear in the game so later on its not at a ridiculous price. I don't play twink but I'd rather see new gear brought into the game. Using the same stuff gets stale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

New strong gear is refreshing. Makes it possible so the same old 8 people aren't dominating everyone simply because no one is willing to trade scarce top gear to newcomers.

I'm just sad to hear that so many people are already farming for the gear...I was intending to make a twink to farm Tarlok since the beginning of this event...just too busy to get it started.

Also, anyone who plays only a twink char or two is a fool, and that goes for any mmorpg. If you mainly PvP at low lvls, that's fine; however, you should always have a high lvl character, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

just compare the mythics and the discontinued best gear for twinks, someday new mythic items will release and some end gamer will buy again their new mythics.. all gears here has an expiration,. so dont invest rather merch it while the price is high

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
    I hear what you're saying, but why would people be expected to buy new gear for their twinks every new couple seasons? Some people only twink, and don't farm/don't have a main. I know this isn't necessarily my problem, but it seems as when new "better" gear comes out, the gear before that loses its value. Then the new gear is expensive, and the twinks don't have enough gold to buy the new gear, even if they sell their gear (since its value has decreased) Like I said, it's not really my problem since I farm and I make my own gold, more than enough to twink, but what about the hundreds that actually do only twink?
    First off, welcome to the world of MMOs, where there will always be advancements - even in the twinking world.

The way that it is currently set up, it's not even bad. Bad would be when they release amazing gear into locked crates - i.e: dark watch sword of potency.

Gear has an expiration date. Even in PL, I realize that. Does that mean the other gear is worthless? Heck no, it's still discontinued.

I remember still being able to sell my PL WF gear for millions despite it being completely dominated by forgotten gear.

Also, everybody is allowed to farm for these. If you get an imbued chest, it's a 100% chance for the gear.

The MMO world isn't stagnant and honestly, everybody should be ready for advancements & new competition.

This update allows for that & everybody is encouraged to join in on it! I mean, it's not like they're necessarily difficult to farm.
    Last edited by Zeus; 12-14-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts

forgotten gear was 10k
    now u can liquidate for 100k...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    First off, welcome to the world of MMOs, where there will always be advancements - even in the twinking world.

The way that it is currently set up, it's not even bad. Bad would be when they release amazing gear into locked crates - i.e: dark watch sword of potency.

Gear has an expiration date. Even in PL, I realize that. Does that mean the other gear is worthless? Heck no, it's still discontinued.

I remember still being able to sell my PL WF gear for millions despite it being completely dominated by forgotten gear.

Also, everybody is allowed to farm for these. If you get an imbued chest, it's a 100% chance for the gear.

The MMO world isn't stagnant and honestly, everybody should be ready for advancements & new competition.

This update allows for that & everybody is encouraged to join in on it! I mean, it's not like they're necessarily difficult to farm.
    The WF gear is classified as "collectible" such as heraldic and crier,. etc.

The WF users were dubbed "retro twinks"

I think that a hint at the new gear would have been fair,\

last season the gear wasnt any good and was trash, no one couldve expected them to do a "forg" like event

stay on ur toes people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Postulate1 View Post
    The WF gear is classified as "collectible" such as heraldic and crier,. etc.

The WF users were dubbed "retro twinks"

I think that a hint at the new gear would have been fair,\

last season the gear wasnt any good and was trash, no one couldve expected them to do a "forg" like event

stay on ur toes people.
    Cap gear will also go collectible, just like it is every season. Nothing has changed about that - it is still rare and discontinued
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Maybe their flooding game with good gear because a new level cap will come soon? Its all speculation, but jf they were to release soon, they might allow everyone to get good leveling gear before hand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

I think the main problem is the glitch that occurred during the first 2 days. Yes there are tons of these items still on the market, but I'm guessing most of them were farmed during the first few days.

We saw the same thing happen during the first week of the current expansion with the quills. I bought up tons of the "of brutality" versions for less than 20k. Even right after the bug was fixed, the price only went up to 80-100k where it stayed for about a month. I held onto mine, and eventually sold them for 300-400k each.

The price of these Tarlok armors and helms will settle down in a few weeks time. Remember that they will be discontinued after the event is over, so will ultimately become rare just because of that.

The real issue that concerns me is if STS will feel the need to continue to "one-up" themselves on these items, with every subsequent event having items that are a little better than the last. The result of that would not be good. This event has OP amulets, armors and helms. So maybe next event should have rings and weapons. And then maybe the next event should go back to armors and helms, but this time maybe for different levels. Instead of level 10, 15, 20, etc. they could make it level 13, 18, 23, etc. Then they wouldn't directly compete against the last weapons.

I understand they need to make ways to make the items in each of these events somehow interesting. But they need to find a way to do that which does not involve making old rare expensive discontinued items worthless.

The one thing from PL that I always think of is the dragon farming. For months we all kept running those fang dungeons over and over, and most of us never got a single item to drop. Yet we all knew at any moment we could drop a dragon helm or armor worth 10m+, and that is what kept us interested. I'd like to see STS have an event where the items that drop are mythic or arcane, but let them be extremely rare. I posted an idea similar to this in the suggestions forum a couple of months ago, so I guess we will see if they implement such a thing in the future.

Imagine if instead of making these Tarlok items drop, we all had a chance to get that bros whim egg to drop. I think we would all be running these dungeons day and night hoping to be the one who gets that drop. And in the meantime, we could be farming those winter tokens and use them to buy vanities, other pet eggs, etc. I think that would have been a more interesting way to go. And any money STS would lose by people not opening crates would instead be spent on access fees to the dungeon to farm for the egg. Ultimately I think even plat spenders would prefer paying to run a fun dungeon over and over than to sit there opening crates.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I do like the wintermancer set, how its exactly the same as hellish but looks different. I love this! I have both sets of potency armors that I switch on a whim, because my stats stay the same but I like having 2 sets of awesome looking armor to use.

Tarlok is different. Its hard to get, expensive, and I'm hoping means new mythics/arcanes will be out soon and they're just upgrading pinks first. Either way, I think that tarlok set is something special, because they already have a wintermance set mirroring other event armors. I don't think we should assume they will be doing that every event simply because of the wintermancer set. Why release it as well, unless they plan on making identical sets every event, as collectibles