Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why healing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

He was talking about health and mana pots.
    Sometimes people rely TOO much on mages healing and think they don't need to use any pots. Mages can reduce the amount of (health) pots you need, but it's not fair to the Mage if you don't use pots when you're about to die. Mages can't cover ALL the healing neeeded, especially if there's only one Mage to cover 5 people.

Plus, in a heated battle, mages are often popping mana pots to stay alive/use skills. It's not fair to a Mage to expect them to pop even more mana pots at that point just to save you a few health pots.
    Last edited by Lesrider; 12-01-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

cool. I'm there. just didn't want to be mssing another tool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess what was missing here is the class tree, where you can specialize in certain aspects of your class.

Take for an example an Enchantress. In other games, you can go for classes like Warlock (Elemental Damage dealers) or Clerics (Support class).

I guess (and hope) they would come up with this in the future
    File not found. Should I fake it? (Y/N)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Eh, I like my Mage being able to both heal and do damage. I never liked classes that just heal -- I find them boring and would never choose to play. The only reason I like being a Mage on PL is because you get to do both. I hope they don't change that.
    Last edited by Lesrider; 12-01-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Healing and damage!! I have no problem charging into a room letting off a combo of freeze, lighting & fire followed by a quick cast of healing, weakness and drain - auto attacking with my cosmo wand and popping a couple potions... works great!!

Axavier-- Lvl 50 PureMage
    10833 kills -- 411 deaths
    Last edited by Axavier; 12-01-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axavier View Post
    Healing and damage!! I have no problem charging into a room letting off a combo of freeze, lighting & fire followed by a quick cast of healing, weakness and drain - auto attacking with my cosmo wand and popping a couple potions... works great!!

Axavier-- Lvl 50 PureMage
    10833 kills -- 411 deaths
    weakness after?

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shadywack View Post
    Combined with an archer's rooting spells my mage does enormous amounts of damage. Far more than the bear can do. If there's no archer present I'm usually the main death dealer while the bear is a distraction. With nightmare, weaken, and lightning I almost double the effectiveness of an archer too.

Healing is almost a back seat. Really I just use it to keep the meatshields/bears alive so that my mana doesn't drain so fast.
    The 'distraction' is what is keeping you alive, so be nice and keep it alive.

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I should also say that the purpose of playing a video game is to have fun, so if NOT using heal is fun for you then it is your right. Just don't expect to ever win at any challenging content and don't complain when you earn a bad reputation and people start banning you from their games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Playing how you want the game doesn't constitute you to doing what other people want you to do.

If you want to hang back and support, it's your choice. If you want to get down and dirty with the rest of them it's your choice as well.
    File not found. Should I fake it? (Y/N)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played both bear and mage, and one thing I learned in three months of playing this game is that there are certain expectations when you join a group game. To be a good bear tank, you have to be willing to take aggro and lead the charge. To do this effectively, though, you need a good Mage who will keep you alive. Before they nerfed AO3, bad teamwork will always result in a wipeout because bears can not pop pots fast enough to stay alive.

This does not mean that mages are useless otherwise. As a Mage, I learned to spam heals while dealing damage. Lots of damage. Healing does not only keep your bear alive, it also keeps you healthy to continue with the carnage. The AOE spells that mages have are very effective, and the combos with the other classes can really do damage big time.

And as some have pointed out, mages are absolutely essential in Frozen Nightmares. My level 50 bear tank and two level 30 mages can clear the entire series of maps as long as they continue to heal.

In any case, when playing bear in the lower levels I always make it a point to thank the healers.
    Last edited by chrononh; 12-01-2010 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    weakness after?
    Yes I typically go in and hit hard... then the weakness will hit them as they come in close as well as the drain spell which helps recover hit points followed by another heal and pots as needed... by that time I am charged for the next round of the combo!!

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by addiekai View Post
    Playing how you want the game doesn't constitute you to doing what other people want you to do.

If you want to hang back and support, it's your choice. If you want to get down and dirty with the rest of them it's your choice as well.
    Yes, you can play how you want if you think it is fun. But ultimately this is a group game and if you are not a good team player who uses all of your skills effectively then people will not want to play with you. Thus, when you earn a reputation as a person who does not play effectively and no one will play with you, don't complain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by addiekai View Post

True, and it's not just for mages!!
    If you don't want stay behind the tank so you avoid agroing up the mobs, it's your choice!
    If you don't want to use weakness or lightning for combos, it's your choice!
    If you don't want to use roots for the mage to lightning strike, it's your choice!
    If you don't want to hell scream when the mage casts weakness, it's your choice!
    If you don't want to use heal, it's your choice!
    If you don't want to cast nightmare or break armor, it's your choice!
    If you don't want to taunt because you prefer the mage's and archers getting the agro, it's your choice.

But never forget:
    If someone does not want you in their group, well that's THEIR choice.

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axavier View Post
    Yes I typically go in and hit hard... then the weakness will hit them as they come in close as well as the drain spell which helps recover hit points followed by another heal and pots as needed... by that time I am charged for the next round of the combo!!
    Ahh, you need to read your skills better. Weakness has dodge reduction, which greatly adds to the chances your combo will actually hit. It is actually more useful then the damage reduction.

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't want stay behind the tank so you avoid agroing up the mobs, it's your choice!
    If you don't want to use roots for the mage to lightning strike, it's your choice!
    If you don't want to hell scream when the mage casts weakness, it's your choice!
    If you don't want to taunt because you prefer the mage's and archers getting the agro, it's your choice.

But never forget:
    I think it will actually be instructive for new mages to start a new char and play the other classes, especially the bear. THEN they'll really appreciate what it's like to play with a good Mage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrononh View Post
    I think it will actually be instructive for new mages to start a new char and play the other classes, especially the bear. THEN they'll really appreciate what it's like to play with a good Mage.
    Absolutely!! I played for quite a while with a Bear and Bird... I just prefer the Mage at this point My style... that is the beauty of the game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that the other thing that we really need to consider here is the NULL effect that healing has on the enchantress. I am at 5/5 healing, I keep it on CD, I spam all my spells and still never run out of mana. Honestly, other than ego, there is no viable reason why you are unable to heal and dps. More over, I consider healing a DPS spell as it keeps my groups up keeps their DPS high. I am very rarely running around kiting trying to kill the last mob becuase my group died. Why? I heal.

Seriously its one spell, has no effect on your DPS rotation, getting into a good habit allows you to put LESS points into STR and go pure INT becuase you know you'll always be a full HP, and you'll have a tank to take aggro.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I've stated this a million times in this section of the forums and I will state it again.
    Healing costs 16 mana, I regenerate 20 mana a second. basicly to me healing is nothing, its like taking a penny out of bill gates saving account.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde View Post
    Healing costs 16 mana, I regenerate 20 mana a second. basicly to me healing is nothing, its like taking a penny out of bill gates saving account.
    Couldn't have put it better myself. I may have to use that as my signature!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

But never forget:
    WOW. Awesome statements. Thanks for this.