Thread: The Social Network

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default The Social Network

I recommend this film to all those programmers who are wanting some inspiration. It's about the birth of Facebook.

Facebook wasn't just a guy programming it, it had a very interesting history. Great film to watch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    273 Posts

Ye it was made to rage after his ex after she dumped him then not long ago she tried to sue him.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

That was FaceSmash were they compared people. He gave 65m to people who accused him of stealing they're idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

My inspiration was when I saw the news a few years ago say by 2015 computer science will be one of the most important jobs and the highest paying job (ya know, since they plan on everything using the Internet someday) and also there's more jobs in computer science than there are programmers to do those jobs. Plus I have always been good with computers. And thought to myself "if bill gates became the richest man on the planet from creating microsoft until steve jobs came along then why cant i do something like that too" after seeing that on that on the news.

Programmed-Level 85 mage, Praktica-Level 85 rhino

5. The Following User Says Thank You to programmed For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheScaryBeary View Post
    My inspiration was when I saw the news a few years ago say by 2015 computer science will be one of the most important jobs and the highest paying job (ya know, since they plan on everything using the Internet someday) and also there's more jobs in computer science than there are programmers to do those jobs. Plus I have always been good with computers. And thought to myself "if bill gates became the richest man on the planet from creating microsoft until steve jobs came along then why cant i do something like that too" after seeing that on that on the news.
    I totally agree, All you need is an idea which would become very popular and a good understanding in programming. As Bill said, "When the PC was launched, we knew it would be important". Possibly in the future our lives would involve computers 99% of the time and the reason why it is such a well payed job is because it is not the most common and people are constantly looking for programmers.

"Don't be mean to nerds; for all you know they could be your future boss"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BurnedAlive View Post
    I totally agree, All you need is an idea which would become very popular and a good understanding in programming. As Bill said, "When the PC was launched, we knew it would be important". Possibly in the future our lives would involve computers 99% of the time and the reason why it is such a well payed job is because it is not the most common and people are constantly looking for programmers.

"Don't be mean to nerds; for all you know they could be your future boss"
    Well that's what is being planned for the future, what you said about 99% of things involving the Internet. So us programmers could become some of the most important people on the planet some day. I am not going to go to college I already know that, my math grades i feel just aren't good enough to even possibly graduate high school next year. I don't even need college for programming, I have worked with computers my whole life. Heck I helped my dad some when I was younger build our family computer from scratch. Every year my technology classes grades are over 100%. So why not do something I'm great at. I myself am not a "nerd" and never have i picked on someone for being one but I totally agree with that quote. You could make fun of them all you want but if they become your boss someday you'll regret it haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Well that's what is being planned for the future, what you said about 99% of things involving the Internet. So us programmers could become some of the most important people on the planet some day. I am not going to go to college I already know that, my math grades i feel just aren't good enough to even possibly graduate high school next year. I don't even need college for programming, I have worked with computers my whole life. Heck I helped my dad some when I was younger build our family computer from scratch. Every year my technology classes grades are over 100%. So why not do something I'm great at. I myself am not a "nerd" and never have i picked on someone for being one but I totally agree with that quote. You could make fun of them all you want but if they become your boss someday you'll regret it haha.
    Trust me, for C++, you'll need to understand the logic behind math.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Seriously? Well like what kind of math.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts

Not university math though.
    <Enigmatic>
    Ludens necesse est, vivere non est necesse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Right now I just do HTML and javascript. I haven't gotten into c++ or anything else yet. Have to have computer access to practice and learn but right now my brothers use the only computer 24/7. Luckily I know for Christmas I'm getting a laptop and then ill be able to start back up again with coding and try other languages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Seriously? Well like what kind of math.
    Algebra and Algebra II at most. So, if you didn't pay attention to them in high school, I suggest you learn the concepts.

Also, I suggest you go to college. Trust me, it's worth it. My friend, who didn't go to college, is doing computer programming. He makes $40-50 an hour. My parents, who did go to college, make about $150-200 an hour each depending on the contract they are working.

College will increase your salary and you'll also pick up some stuff that you couldn't or might skip over by learning on your own. To succeed in programming, you need a very good grasp of logic and all the possible ways each statement can be executed, etc etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    769 Posts

I heard the FB guy created FB for a school project..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Algebra and Algebra II at most. So, if you didn't pay attention to them in high school, I suggest you learn the concepts.

Also, I suggest you go to college. Trust me, it's worth it. My friend, who didn't go to college, is doing computer programming. He makes $40-50 an hour. My parents, who did go to college, make about $150-200 an hour each depending on the contract they are working.

College will increase your salary and you'll also pick up some stuff that you couldn't or might skip over by learning on your own. To succeed in programming, you need a very good grasp of logic and all the possible ways each statement can be executed, etc etc.
    Is c++ a need to know language? Algebra is the hardest part in math for me. I have failed algebra twice and again this year. I study day after day, I try to get help from my teacher, I just can't do math other than basic maths. That is part of why I am not going to college. The two needed classes to graduate high school now are Algebra II and Politics which that is new this year to need those two. But if I can't pass Algebra then I can't do Algebra II. The other big reason I'm not doing college is unless its important for me to know its hard for me to pay attention. For math I do pay attention it's just I can't do math. $40-$50 an hour isn't that bad to me. My dad went to college and is a psychologist who I think makes a little less than that and still we get by with 5 people in out family, our dogs, cat, birds, and the whole farm.

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts

Is c++ a need to know language? Algebra is the hardest part in math for me. I have failed algebra twice and again this year. I study day after day, I try to get help from my teacher, I just can't do math other than basic maths. That is part of why I am not going to college. The two needed classes to graduate high school now are Algebra II and Politics which that is new this year to need those two. But if I can't pass Algebra then I can't do Algebra II. The other big reason I'm not doing college is unless its important for me to know its hard for me to pay attention. For math I do pay attention it's just I can't do math. $40-$50 an hour isn't that bad to me. My dad went to college and is a psychologist who I think makes a little less than that and still we get by with 5 people in out family, our dogs, cat, birds, and the whole farm.
    You said you were homeschooled

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
    You said you were homeschooled
    I am. An online school at home. I still have real teachers and classes.

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts

I am. An online school at home. I still have real teachers and classes.
    Wow teachers actually sit online just to have their own personal student to teach? Or are you connected with the public school in your town, but don't actually go there..? I never get these things, I have two homeschooled friends and they just did their courses online and their mom taught them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
    Wow teachers actually sit online just to have their own personal student to teach? Or are you connected with the public school in your town, but don't actually go there..? I never get these things, I have two homeschooled friends and they just did their courses online and their mom taught them
    Teachers don't have their own personal students its entire classrooms of around 20-300 students. It's possibly the largest school there is and is made up of students all over the United States. More and more students join every day and some people think eventually schools will mostly be online like this because its growing in popularity so much. I personally don't like it. I preferred an actual public school when I went to one where I could actually have friends and do things with them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

IMO, you need to know it. If you learn it, all the other computer languages will seem easy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts

IMO, you need to know it. If you learn it, all the other computer languages will seem easy.
    Ok I will try then. Do you know where a good website to learn would be? Codecademy is what I use and don't think they have c++ there. If you don't I could see if my moms friend could help me if she knows it. She has done code since computers came out so I'm sure she'd know it.