Thread: Merching

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Merching

I am really stuck on how to merch :/ I have around 2.9-3.1M but don't know where to start at merching. When I ask others they simply say "buy low" and I know there is more to that...

Can someone please tell me what I have to do first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Hello

I am very conservative kind of merchant, so you need to consider my advice like that. I personaly do merch with almost any kind of items worth 10k+. And I almost never make those buyout advertisements in public chat and buying from people very rarely. Thats not the advantage for sure, I just never got very comfortable with personal dealings, and I also hate to offer lowballs to those, who dont know items value. I mostly buy stuff in CS and sell in CS aswell.

Anyway, what is most important for you is to study learn and watch price range on that group of items you want to merch with. Many people want to know what kind of stuff us "best to merch with?". I have NO answer for this question. Rentability of each item is changing with current supply, demand, pricing etc. But basically, you can earn on almost anything, if you manage your purchases and sales.

Your merchant career hardly depends on style you choose. Essentialy, you can differ two basic styles and theri combinations. Depending on the number of CS slots you have, you can be either pure "CS merchant" like I am, or "Street merchant". For sure, you can use both styles, like buying from players and selling in cs. Also, very hard to say which style is the best. I believe, that you can buy items overal cheaper directly from people (even without being hated lowballer 70% off), especially with set discounts etc. But it requres your time spent advertising your buyout, dealing with people... Among Cs sellers I also distinguish "Fast sellers" who list their items bellow average price to sell them fast and replace with others, or "Cs competitors" who list mostly less common items for pretty top prices, dont mind re-listing within days and wait for the right buyer. You have to choose what is best for you.

"Buy low" is useless advice for sure. Based on your gold state you mentioned, for casual merhing I'd recommend you to choose items in range of 50-500k. This includes glyph items, tiki items, gemstone items (harder to sell) also different haloween stuff, cheaper blacksmoke pinks. For sure thats not all, just examples. I follow one simple rule on items in this price range, whi is: less that 10% profitt (including CS fees) is not succes. For sure there are exceptions but I mostly try to reach this or higher profit on each item.

All in all, there is no easy step-by-step instruction how to become succesfull merchant. It takes decent time for you to find suitable way, then you will improve by the time. I hope I was at least a bit helpful and i with you best luck.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BroadCastle For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

^ Ily
    Doodlebeast, Onyxbleak, Magnabeam, Vacuole
    I bes ping

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

thx beast!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

Find out the popular and heavily in demand items. Watch their average prices for a while, and buy at a low price and sell at high or average price. Try to to buy too expensive items, so in case of loss you won't lose much.

I recommended the BSM items (75,71) humanian items, crafted fang items, 61 fang items, glyph(60,56) crafted 55 items, 50 shadow items, 32 green ice, reinforced/expert, and event items.
    PL:Xxkoopyxx~Xpertfarmer~Avianftw~Ithepvptwink~ Expertfarmer~Gratuity~Theaviantwink~Bearocalypsed~ Tehmagetwink~Tehbeartwink~Koopymerch+more AL:Thepvptwink~Xxkoopyxx~Ithepvptwink SL: Thepvptwink DL: Thepvptwink

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

A solid understanding of the items you are selling is recomended. I started off merching only selling items I had used before. I only focused on these items at first. I knew what was desirable and what items were good for crawling dungeons. After spending days and weeks in Bally I started slowly branching out. Be careful with big ticket items as you can get burned easily. Buying a lvl 71 set can get ugly if you use cs to check your prices. Also be wary of items people use as vanities, such as Nuri mini sets. These items will sell slow and fluctuate greatly in price.

If you don't already know, then understanding twinks and pvp can make you gold as well. Follow some guides and put together some "twink sets" and figure out why those items are desirable.

Also, you can hoard items after you have a good stack of gold to your name. Instead of stashing that gold cap on another character you stash items and over the course of a few months they can double in value if you choose your items properly.

Some people are successful at merching big items like humania elites and make millions per transaction. However, you really put yourself out there for deals gone wrong and risk losing large sums of gold.

One other thing I've learned is that farming is misunderstood (a lot of people already know and are often times unwilling to open their minds) and is very effective if done properly.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys. One more thing. You guys recommend me choosing an item to merch first. How do I find the sellers, via cs or via saying the "buying humania, bsm! Etc..."?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

As I said, its your choice which approach u consider better. If you focus strictly on cs, you need to be more versatile in what kind of items you can merch with, because you can't determine which items do people put in cs for good prices. Finding sellers through cs works sometimes, but not very well for merhant purposes. You need to search for their names and then pm them via /t (besides your friend with) and you need to be lucky to catch the exact player online. People do this mostly when offering on some more expensive item they really need to buy, since they think its listet to high in cs. So, to answer your question, its easier to dind possible seller by saying "buying" statements.

The Castle That Never Was, with my Shadowstar and Eternal Frost, also with Ebonine.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts

"B) Valuable Pinks 50-75% off Normal/Cs price! No AO, FN, or Skeller Krunch!"
    Thats what many merches use, they spam it in Towns hoping for some good stuff.
    If it works I do not know.

All for One, and One for All!
    The Brightest of Flames..cast the Darkest of Shadows..
    One who knows nothing cannot understand anything..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowstar View Post
    "B) Valuable Pinks 50-75% off Normal/Cs price! No AO, FN, or Skeller Krunch!"
    Thats what many merches use, they spam it in Towns hoping for some good stuff.
    If it works I do not know.
    Personally I hate this percentage and disrespect all people doing this. Asking for "reasonable" discount is ok, yea sometimes it may be even close to 50% but rarely and especially on cheaper items (for sure, 5k discount is almost not worth effort sometimes). But asking this discount on "valuable pinks" is pure imbecility, theft or whatever you call it. It only shows how damn unable to merch are those people, since they need to pay 1/4 of real value to make profit.

Doing this is noobish, it's spam and it bothers most of others. Thats my point of view.

On the other hand, except that stupid percent, its pretty ok to say B) and S) statements time to time as you stand in town and seek for sellers/customers. Just it's good to keep spam frequency decent (not to chat it every 3 seconds like some idiots do).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

I personally dislike the spamming of merchs, I'll buy things off the cs or when ppl trade me. I usually buy at 10-33% discount, depending on the item.

When you buy at 50+% off, you're just ripping the seller off and discourages them to sell things IMO
    PL:Xxkoopyxx~Xpertfarmer~Avianftw~Ithepvptwink~ Expertfarmer~Gratuity~Theaviantwink~Bearocalypsed~ Tehmagetwink~Tehbeartwink~Koopymerch+more AL:Thepvptwink~Xxkoopyxx~Ithepvptwink SL: Thepvptwink DL: Thepvptwink

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

^agreed, same for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BroadCastle View Post
    Hello

I am very conservative kind of merchant, so you need to consider my advice like that. I personaly do merch with almost any kind of items worth 10k+. And I almost never make those buyout advertisements in public chat and buying from people very rarely. Thats not the advantage for sure, I just never got very comfortable with personal dealings, and I also hate to offer lowballs to those, who dont know items value. I mostly buy stuff in CS and sell in CS aswell.

Anyway, what is most important for you is to study learn and watch price range on that group of items you want to merch with. Many people want to know what kind of stuff us "best to merch with?". I have NO answer for this question. Rentability of each item is changing with current supply, demand, pricing etc. But basically, you can earn on almost anything, if you manage your purchases and sales.

Your merchant career hardly depends on style you choose. Essentialy, you can differ two basic styles and theri combinations. Depending on the number of CS slots you have, you can be either pure "CS merchant" like I am, or "Street merchant". For sure, you can use both styles, like buying from players and selling in cs. Also, very hard to say which style is the best. I believe, that you can buy items overal cheaper directly from people (even without being hated lowballer 70% off), especially with set discounts etc. But it requres your time spent advertising your buyout, dealing with people... Among Cs sellers I also distinguish "Fast sellers" who list their items bellow average price to sell them fast and replace with others, or "Cs competitors" who list mostly less common items for pretty top prices, dont mind re-listing within days and wait for the right buyer. You have to choose what is best for you.

"Buy low" is useless advice for sure. Based on your gold state you mentioned, for casual merhing I'd recommend you to choose items in range of 50-500k. This includes glyph items, tiki items, gemstone items (harder to sell) also different haloween stuff, cheaper blacksmoke pinks. For sure thats not all, just examples. I follow one simple rule on items in this price range, whi is: less that 10% profitt (including CS fees) is not succes. For sure there are exceptions but I mostly try to reach this or higher profit on each item.

All in all, there is no easy step-by-step instruction how to become succesfull merchant. It takes decent time for you to find suitable way, then you will improve by the time. I hope I was at least a bit helpful and i with you best luck.
    Best answer ever i ll just copy it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

^ Haha thanks, however I'm pretty sure u would make better (btw you have my request on bear)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BroadCastle View Post
    ^ Haha thanks, however I'm pretty sure u would make better (btw you have my request on bear)
    sorry i dont usually accept requests. I kinda collect them so whats the name?
    and i suck at merching after i got scammed but i ll start again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Also if someone asks a price. You have two options that I would highly recommend. Either say what you want to pay straight out. Like for a lvl 71 sharp set if I want to pay 700k I do either "700k?" or "700k". The question mark or lack of question mark will tell how flexible I am on price. (btw this is just an example. Idk if price is real) or if you are unsure and want to see if they'll give you a deal you can say "offer?" I always put a question mark because it doesn't make the other person feel as though you are trying to rip them off or scared to say an exact price. With the question mark what I'm really saying is "Do you have a price in mind and we can work from there?" and not "Idk price gimme a price and I'll try to lowball ya"..

And the number 1 rule! DON'T BE RUDE... TO ANYBODY, EVEN HIGH?LOWBALLERS. You never know when they can help you. Unless they are rude and beligerent to you first lol.
    As they always say don't burn bridges you haven't crossed.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks guys! I'll stick to the "buying pinks! Discounted etc.." Thing. But I'll also check in to cs for lookout for a cheap deal