Thread: Ping and distance from server

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ping and distance from server

Maybe the devs can help here. I'm trying to get a better understanding of Ping and lag issues. Most of us suffer from this at some point and it would make it more acceptable if we knew why this happens.

Let's assume we have a fast wifi connection with nothing to affect gameplay i.e. email push off, all other apps closed and no one else draining your wifi etc. From my understanding, the DL servers are either in Texas or North Carolina and the closer you are to the servers the better ping you'll have. For example, I'm guessing that people in the USA can expect a ping any where between 40-150. Europe and the rest of the world is connected to the USA via cables laid across oceans so we expect a higher ping, maybe 150-300. Further afield i.e. Australia 300-500. So assuming no wifi/hardware issues, ping depends on distance from server?

I'd also like to know the effect of ping on lag. I read somewhere that a 500 ping corresponds to a lag time of 0.5 seconds? Is this linear? Would a ping of say 1159 equate to a lag time of 1.1/1.2 seconds etc?

Also, what target ping do Spacetime aim to work towards to make gameplay acceptable to us all?

Aside from answering my questions, maybe people could post their location and their normal/average ping and general playability of DL.

Fiio

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm in NYC and my ping never goes beyond 100, I mean to ask about that too, I know I saw something about ping somewhere in the game but I can't remember if my ping is good or not

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Michigan. Ping is anywhere from 50 -150 usually around 80 on DL. On AL anywhere from 30 - 300 usually about 150. I just wanted to add my AL ping stats in there to add a high traffic game into any of the possibilities in any of your questions.

GM- Machines of Hate
    DL: Castdown - Castper - Dyingfetus
    AL: Castdown - Casteddown - Castela

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Great thread! I believe I may have some good information to add.

First of all, back when I lived in South Korea (military) my ping was always around 300-450. That was in Pocket Legends, however. Once I moved to the states my pocket legends ping was generally around 100-250. I was in Kentucky at that time.

Whenever I played Dark Legends I remember the ping being slightly better. In South Korea it would be about 250-300 and in the states here in Virginia it is usually around 100-150.

Also, as far as actual seconds go, I remember awhile back JustG had posted in a pocket legends thread which was whining about all the lag. He said something like, "In the end you're only lagging about 1-3 seconds. It shouldn't make much of a difference in gameplay."

Clearly JustG hasn't played pvp, but maybe we can learn something from his statement about 1-3 seconds? Perhaps if your ping is green, it's 0-1 second, if it's yellow it's 1-2 seconds, and if it's red, it's 2-3 seconds? Just a guess.

I hope all this helps!
    Last edited by MightyMicah; 01-27-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Castdown:1446170
    Michigan. Ping is anywhere from 50 -150 usually around 80 on DL. On AL anywhere from 30 - 300 usually about 150. I just wanted to add my AL ping stats in there to add a high traffic game into any of the possibilities in any of your questions.
    This is off topic but what part of michigan im from michigan ann arbor... Curious

Thank You Aaroniero Arruruerie!
    Proud Member of Restoration

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Im about 30 mins from Ann Arbor. GO BLUE! LOL

GM- Machines of Hate
    DL: Castdown - Castper - Dyingfetus
    AL: Castdown - Casteddown - Castela

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah View Post
    Also, as far as actual seconds go, I remember awhile back JustG had posted in a pocket legends thread which was whining about all the lag. He said something like, "In the end you're only lagging about 1-3 seconds. It shouldn't make much of a difference in gameplay."

Clearly JustG hasn't played pvp, but maybe we can learn something from his statement about 1-3 seconds? Perhaps if your ping is green, it's 0-1 second, if it's yellow it's 1-2 seconds, and if it's red, it's 2-3 seconds? Just a guess.

Hahaha clearly he hasn't played pvp...with 3 seconds lag, you would of been anilelated by your enemy and been able to respawn. Well probably not respawned but you get my drift.

I'm London, UK and I average around 200~300 during gameplay. Saying that, I stand still in Club Strreet and normally ping at 800-900. I'm thinking that's prob due to the density of traffic of other players hanging around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good fiio!
    My place is italy, and ping is always 250/400, slow in pve and much slow in pvp.. :-(
    Solution?.. Good luck to us!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

boughtinblood, ping 69
    ITS A MADHOUSE YO!
    DL IGNs: qingsana, flareblitz, boughtinalcohol, etc.
    Guild: Madhouse

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

well I'm in south east asia and my ping is horrendous around 400-600. if I'm lucky, lowest is perhaps 325 lol and sometimes my ping fluctuates. and this causes my screen to freeze . especially when my ping decides to become a magician and disappear. lag causes a major problem in pvp, flags not caught, missing hearts and switches. agh i wish i hv less than 200 ping! anyway, sorry to vent >.<

"They never let me go, scars are left as proof, but tears they soak on through"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There seems to be a correlation of distance from server and increased lag/ping. I can empathise with Tatya when she mentions missing light/gate switches etc. Olocausto's ping 250/400 matches my prediction for his location in Italy, likewise Tatya's ping of 400-600 for south-east Asia. Obviously a higher ping will disadvantage a player when playing against lower ping opponents. Skills can be executed earlier thus causing critical damage before the other player has time to react.

I've also noticed lag/ping is worse when the majority of other players are in the arena are from the USA - my ping and lag becomes erratic, probably desperately trying to play catchup with their lower ping.

Sadly I don't think there is a solution. One possible theory would be if players of similar distance and ping play each other. We kind of do that at the moment because of time zones and people sleeping - but not always the case!

For those of you who are interested, here's a link that shows a map of fibre optic internet cables laid under the sea. It gives you an appreciation of how far away we are from the server in Texas/North Carolina and how we all connect to each other.

http://www.submarinecablemap.com

Boughtinblood, whereabouts are you based? I'm guessing USA with a ping of 69...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    227 Posts

at central europe, i have a ping between 250 and 350 when the servers dont lag for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flareblitz View Post
    boughtinblood, ping 69
    Flareblitz is not Boughtinblood. I am Boughtinblood. Flareblitz is an unoriginal wannabe.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,047 Posts

I think Flareblitz meant he lives in an imaginary town named after you. And the ping there is apparently pretty nice.

DL IGNs: doomdoom, doomdoomdoom, littledoom, tinydoom
    Guild Master of Satan's Cheerleaders

15. The Following User Says Thank You to doomdoomdoom For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doomdoomdoom View Post
    I think Flareblitz meant he lives in an imaginary town named after you. And the ping there is apparently pretty nice.
    That must be why he stays even though nobody there likes him.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

sure ping depends in ur distance to server. but affect to ur internet. if u have a bad pc or mobil and the game run slow u can have a highly ping too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes,I agree with.
    From the last three months i had ping problem due to server distance.
    So i reduced my ping by using the following instructions.
    1.Don't open any videos,stream and check if there any problem in your router.
    2.Make sure there's no browser .exe's still running in task manager
    3.Try to contact your internet service provider and get suitable data plan.
    4.Use any software like Game Booster
    5.Move closer to server
    Now i reduced my ping value than before and i confirmed whether my new ping is high or low using WhoisXY.com I got good results.