Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: [Arcane Staff]: Charged Attack = Low Damage & Slow Charge Time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carapace View Post
    Something to keep in mind is that unlike the fireball spell, there is no mana cost associated with the charged Ker'shal Staff. A 1 Second cast time in PVP with no mana cost would be... mildly overpowered
    Carapace, then again 1.6 seconds is still a bit too much no? What is the charge time on the Infused Orbital Mythic Staff? That charge time seemed feasible to me.

Also, since we are looking at the staff overall, please take a look into the proc effect. +10 Mana Regen is pretty useless. Mana regen is a pretty useless stat overall and this is coming from I'd say every mage.
    Last edited by keikali; 02-21-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Something to keep in mind is that unlike the fireball spell, there is no mana cost associated with the charged Ker'shal Staff. A 1 Second cast time in PVP with no mana cost would be... mildly overpowered
    And oh, how would this be owerpowered? Mages have no mana problems as i stated in my previous comment..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

Reasonable fixes:

1) change proc from +mana regen to either +crit% or dmg%.
    2) lower the charge time and increase the dmg of shadowflare by some but not too much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Mages NEVER have mana problem, and usually we die or win the fight(1v1 or team fight) before our mana pool even drop to 60%, therefore for the proc +10 mana is making wanna CURSE!!!!! Even +10 Hp regain is more useful but still laughable.

If mana is what u concerned, hell, make it mana costs and gives it 1 sec charge time.
    1.8 sec to 1.6 sec..... R u humiliating mages? LOL
    I feel insulted after months of this thread has been out and this is what we got lol.

And trust me, mage has never been overpower since the stun immunity rule applied.
    Last edited by puresai; 02-21-2014 at 01:05 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to puresai For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

There is no mana cost for doing a normal noncharged attack either. And in PvP mages don't have mana issues. So basically all our skills are no mana cost. So I am kind of surprised you would bring this up. I am curious how much play testing you guys do? Because mages have such a large mana pool that I am usually dead before I can even exhaust my mana pool. The charged attack 'shadowflare spell' is no different then a proc. Because its only a chance to do some effect and most of the time it doesn't happen. So you can't call it a spell. A spell is something that happens every time so its closer to a proc. So you have to keep firing a charged attack to even get this effect since the chance is so low. I wish STS would realize no mana cost and +10 mana regen is useless to mages. This is level 36 and not level 6, we have plenty of mana. Whether its 1 second or 1.6 seconds makes no difference to me at this point. The fact it has lower damage then a normal attack and not even close to the damage to a charged fireball as promised, makes it useless to me. I'd rather keep firing a normal staff attack, then at least I may proc +60 INT.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to falmear For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

We do not need MANA buff on Kershal give us something more useful like health regen or more armor .......! Non charge attack needs more better process like chance to lower crit or process like reflect dmg?? we do not have this compared to a maul with chance to stun AOE.

I disagree if charged shadowflare "spell" is OP being zero mana and 1 sec to cast, it has lower damage than all our skills ........ chance to slow %?? (even shadowflare requires mana there's no issue at all to mages)
    Last edited by will0; 02-21-2014 at 10:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I find it weird how STS intended to give Mages a totally hyped-up spell (Shadowflare) for an Arcane item, then tweak it down based on assumptions that it would be overpowered. In the end, we get a completely useless unique spell for an Arcane item. Please just remove this shadowflare altogether if there is no intention to buff it significantly (reducing 0.2 sec cast does not count).

And I have to suggest this again, can you make mage procs (when wielding staff specifically) happen "when casting any spell" as opposed to "when doing a normal attack" only? Our class requires us to cast spells (offensive/defensive/buffs) most of the time, yet procs will only happen when we do a normal attack... In the end, we lowered our dps to include normal attack in our rotation trying to proc some buffs/debuffs. This is not specific to Ker'shal but for all staffs in general.

I always thought it should be,

Rare items: Under-powered
    Epic items: Slightly under-powered
    Legendary items: Average-powered
    Mythic items: Slightly over-powered
    Arcane items: Over-powered

No?
    Last edited by Rean; 02-24-2014 at 03:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Falmear got right, even with standard ~1 sec charging time, this shadowflare would be still useless. There were top weapons in the past with doing smaller aoe damage on charged attack and chance to cast something, and these were still considered as not worth charging. (Combustion Cannon of Brutality l26, Borean cage rifle of Brutality l31, etc)

To Mr Carapace:

If you were serious about 'it worth a look' then try to think in big or better do nothing.

We dont want a 0.2 sec less charging time, rather an aoe stun with some buff like the lvl31 mythic sorcerer gun or the lvl31 arcane maul. Or a skill paired proc like the shield on the mythic dagger.
    Last edited by Haligali; 02-24-2014 at 08:44 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haligali For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Please don't take this offensive,
    However, I imagine this in STS' meeting "DEVs say : lets less 0.2 sec charge time just to shut these whining arcane staff mages up and move on" LOL

Also when I use shadowflare, people laugh at me, how can this be overpower with lame damage?

BTW Delphina, Please kindly share your experience as a arcane staff mage. have you ever use shadowflare in 1 vs 1 or team fight? Have you ever run out of mana in PVP?!!
    Last edited by puresai; 02-25-2014 at 07:50 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to puresai For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

Since when does a mage run out of 5000+ mana? If a fight went that long we would be dead anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

I never use the charged attack either, seems pointless. the proc on normal attack is worth more (not the mana regen). I concur with the others here, when has mana ever been a concern to a mage? in PVP the fight better be over by then and in PVE i run with 9k mana pots.

would be ok maybe if it had knock down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't have an arcane staff but STS you should rlly do tht what the guys are sayying here...
    Something tht rlly happened:
    I was in pvp (im rlly biggest noob i have frozen potency eq. LOL) and a guy with arcane stuff came and killed me...
    I pm tht guy and said him u r weak u only can kill noobs like me, u have arc staff and cant kill pro's.....He wrote back and said :It's impossible to kill a pro warrior with a mage!
    And its half true when the mage isn't a superduper pro he won't kill the pro warrior.
    Maybe im wrong but its my sight. And the bad thing is tht, tht staff is the best item ATM!!! When u can't kill him with a staff like tht, u won't have any chances further.
    Sorry for this strange writing I know it's not good written...every word is red underlined

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

Seriously... /ignore on mages. Always. It's very disheartening. Does anyone at the studio even play a mage?

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk

The toeless smurf!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default [Arcane Staff]: Charged Attack = Low Damage & Slow Charge Time

I've also experience this "lower charged attack damage" on the new tiki guns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redheadwendy View Post
    i think that is to compensate for the AoE damage i guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redheadwendy View Post
    This isnt new, molten guns was same in season3. Despite the regular charging time still not worth charging as we discussed before.
    Check the gun thread in my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

Apologies I think I resurrected an old thread on this, I'll repost here.

Is the problem with the damage that you (DEVs) refer to a plain fire ball with no upgrades, and possibly no gear damage bonus either.

so a vanilla FB with only staff is 356-445 (259% bonus dmg, 326.1 dam) that seems to be about what a non crit staff ball does.

The discrepancy occurs when you gear up boosting FB to 614-786 (378% bonus dmg, 562.9 dam)

Unsure how Int/%dam & Dam increase skill damage but I get 1.2k crit on FB and mid 500s with staff.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by falmear View Post
    While waiting for victims in TDM, I asked a rogue on my team with a devourer bow to fire a charged auto attack at trulle. And I did the same thing with my arcane staff. The devourer bow does more damage on a charged attack then arcane staff. How does an item which is worth 1k in CS do more damage then a weapon which costs 55m? I'd like to hear an explanation on that one.
    Maybe coz hes an rogue and u r mage? Gawd...

Sent from Vox TV via...wait,what?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandorix View Post
    Maybe coz hes an rogue and u r mage? Gawd...

A Mage with arcane staff and full or almost full supers has 600 damage that I've seen (slightly more). A rogue with devourer bow has like 350. That shows how extremely weak the charged attack is - considering it has 250 more damage behind it, what on EARTH is the base damage of this thing?

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UndeadJudge View Post
    A Mage with arcane staff and full or almost full supers has 600 damage that I've seen (slightly more). A rogue with devourer bow has like 350. That shows how extremely weak the charged attack is - considering it has 250 more damage behind it, what on EARTH is the base damage of this thing?
    U should learn more about how this or any other mmorpg works...