Thread: How do you beat a mage that uses curse

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How do you beat a mage that uses curse

I've versed plenty of mages and won, However I seem to have a problem with one type...those that use curse. Yeah I've beaten a few but there just those specific guys who you just cant beat. Usually I get there health at 10%-43% (AT BEST). I just need help on specific combos pets and stuff like that. I use

*Light
    *Ice
    *Shield
    *Heal

(they would be easier to beat if frost bolts stun worked)

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Fireball would help also its better to not have dots on your abilities when facing a curse mage. Also some makes swap skulls after dropping curse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmmm but isnt fireballs overtime dmg abit of a disadvantage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

Misty neutralizes the curse if you have this pet. Works well if facing one mage with curse, but not if facing many mages with curse due to the slow cooldown.

And yes, the damage over time (dot) upgrade of any skill is going to kill you very quickly against a curse mage. Just like against alpha wolf, the reflected damage of dot is massive. For this reason, rogues will avoid nox when fighting a curse mage, and some mages have dropped the dot upgrades of fire and frost specifically for fighting curse mages.

Forum Legend
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts

In my opinion, curse mages are easy as pie. Just try to dodge his curse after you land your combo. I have difficulty aganist heal mages. I don't know why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Go with a stun lock build. 3/5 fire (except radius and miss upgrade), 2/5 wind (get only the additional 2 seconds stun upgrade. Aim carefully though. If you often miss, then get AOE upgrade, making it 3/5) 4/5 lightning (except the chance AOE upgrade) 4/5 shield (no knockback). And get a slag, or clyde as pets. I think orion also has arcane stun but i havent tried it. Alternatively, colton also has very good passive stunning and his arcane is really helpful for quick kills though your gameplay will vary.

gameplay: run towards opponent with shield charged. Then if you get cursed, use wind, it will disable him for a moment, then use pet, then use lightning, when the curse has run out, use fire. charge skill attack everything. and space your stuns well to get their maximum potential. use normal uncharged attacks in between stuns.

gameplay 2: charged fireball first, then charged wind, then charged lightning then pet (with normal uncharged attacks in between stuns). after the opponent has got out of stunlock, thats when you shield.

Edit: If you like switching skills, then add 2/5 heal (with only the mana upgrade). Charged shield then quickly swap shield with heal, within the 2 sec invulnerability period.
    Last edited by otb; 02-17-2014 at 01:38 PM.

Forum Legend
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts

By the way, what PvP level is this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
    By the way, what PvP level is this?
    this is lvl 21 havent tried lvl 36 though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otb View Post
    Go with a stun lock build. 3/5 fire (except radius and miss upgrade), 2/5 wind (get only the additional 2 seconds stun upgrade. Aim carefully though. If you often miss, then get AOE upgrade, making it 3/5) 4/5 lightning (except the chance AOE upgrade) 4/5 shield (no knockback). And get a slag, or clyde as pets. I think orion also has arcane stun but i havent tried it. Alternatively, colton also has very good passive stunning and his arcane is really helpful for quick kills though your gameplay will vary.

gameplay: run towards opponent with shield charged. Then if you get cursed, use wind, it will disable him for a moment, then use pet, then use lightning, when the curse has run out, use fire. charge skill attack everything. and space your stuns well to get their maximum potential. use normal uncharged attacks in between stuns.

gameplay 2: charged fireball first, then charged wind, then charged lightning then pet (with normal uncharged attacks in between stuns). after the opponent has got out of stunlock, thats when you shield.

Edit: If you like switching skills, then add 2/5 heal (with only the mana upgrade). Charged shield then quickly swap shield with heal, within the 2 sec invulnerability period.
    what you say makes sense however to a mage I have realized that the first to put on their shield in most cases looses. I have tested this from lvl 7-21 and I was always last to use shield making me winner. But i do like they idea though it would be more useful in lvl 27-36 dont you think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drgrimmy View Post
    Misty neutralizes the curse if you have this pet. Works well if facing one mage with curse, but not if facing many mages with curse due to the slow cooldown.

And yes, the damage over time (dot) upgrade of any skill is going to kill you very quickly against a curse mage. Just like against alpha wolf, the reflected damage of dot is massive. For this reason, rogues will avoid nox when fighting a curse mage, and some mages have dropped the dot upgrades of fire and frost specifically for fighting curse mages.
    I thought misty only removes debuffs or something like that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

Misty does neutralize curse. Some pvp teams will have one person using misty if their opponent has a curse mage. Misty's arcane removes curse when it is used. The problem is the slow cooldown of Misty's arcane (40s plus) making you vulnerable if a second curse mage curses you right after you use Misty's arcane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

1) Remove all dot damage on skills
    2) Use misty to remove curse. If you want to "cheat" dismiss/summon misty to reset cool down.
    3) Time your shield with your opponents curse since shield is effective counter to curse
    4) Slow play your attacks. If you don't attack then curse doesn't do anything. Start to count down and when curse has 2-3 seconds, start attacking.
    5) Stun your opponent with a pet like samael or slag and don't attack this will shave off a few seconds.
    6) Have a warrior use charged horn of renewal while cursed.
    7) Avoid being cursed. The mage needs to be close, in a 1v1 battle this can be hard. But in a group fight, its easier to dodge curse.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to falmear For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rollerz View Post
    what you say makes sense however to a mage I have realized that the first to put on their shield in most cases looses. I have tested this from lvl 7-21 and I was always last to use shield making me winner. But i do like they idea though it would be more useful in lvl 27-36 dont you think?
    Yup, just use game play 2. Its only with rogues that you have to put your shield up first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rollerz View Post
    this is lvl 21 havent tried lvl 36 though
    oh, what i posted was for L36. I missed out on the L21 part hehe.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to otb For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see thank you all for the advice