Thread: is new pet worth it for mage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default is new pet worth it for mage?

Is new pet scorch good for mage I bought it but the only thing I see in difference is in the crit and the shield but it seems to be alright on lower levels .. but anyways what do you guys think about new pet?.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

It also give good mana regen .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

In my opinion, no. You're better off using something that boosts your damage and total HP. For PvE, it's one of the worst choices; solid damage and HP > critical rate when it comes to mob control. Mana is useless, charged lifegiver with the second unlock beats it any day.

Try Ribbit, Crawly, Haze or Clyde.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own all the pets just trying to see what do you guys think its better

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madnex View Post
    In my opinion, no. You're better off using something that boosts your damage and total HP. For PvE, it's one of the worst choices; solid damage and HP > critical rate when it comes to mob control. Mana is useless, charged lifegiver with the second unlock beats it any day.

I'd definitely pick up a Haze first for 90 Plat before grabbing a Scorch. IMO Haze should have been a Mythic Pet. Its abilities are way OP and I love it on my mage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madnex View Post

I have yet to try Scorch yet but based on hp which pets stats boost more than 1550 hp? I am thinking for pvp 1550hp goes slots further then a single stun or even 15% damage. You can go with 3 offensive skills and do more than 15% more... but you are guaranteed to be short lived.

I agree for pve Scorch is too defensive. FYI anyone still using lifegiver for pve is a liability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

I own Scorch, leveled him to 22 now and have only used him in PVE

My opinion so far is that he's not that good. His passive at the moment is single target with chance of slow which isnt very useful on a large mob. He does get a multi-hit upgrade at 30 with hit reduction, however. His arcane ability is not bad, although not needed for my mage with arcane shield at its current level. If I can control the mob, then scorch's arcane ability will at best save me 1-2 pots, which if im already spamming pots makes little difference. If im being overwhelmed and cannot control mob or if i get an unlucky crit with my arcane shield on cooldown, scorch's arcane ability has a slight animation lag that it doesn't help and I'll die regardless. The ability will tend to activate right after my death. BUT my scorch is only level 22, i'm sure at 36+ his shield will have a much more noticeable effect.

His happiness bonus is only "okay". I love the 15% movement boost but his 12% critical is pretty unnoticeable for a mage that doesn't carry lightning or doesn't already have high crit%. What I mean by that is that mobs still die about the same pace. Damage% boost is much more worthwhile than a crit% boost for mages IMO. The mana and mana regen is absolutely useless at endgame when I have a pool of 5k+ mana and an architect pylon that procs 50% mana restore. The 20+ primary stat is also subpar and I wished it also had +10 str because my HP drops a lot using this pet.

In my opinion, a mythic pet for sorcs, go with Slag
    Last edited by grumpy; 02-23-2014 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Of course it's Slag over Scorch. In PvE it's almost obsolete, you don't really need it as mentioned above neither is as life saving as arcane shield can be.

The main misconception that people have when they hear 1550 extra HP is that they believe it's going to add clean 1550 to their HP. No. The shield has no invulnerability, just a plain 35% damage reduction. Which means, the pure extra HP given is about 1000. Now if you believe that you can rely on that when rogues can destroy this punny shield with an Aimed Shot-Pierce combo dealing over 3300 damage, that's your problem lol.

On the other hand, Slag's panic can be used to secure victory in many more ways than plain extra defense. Those few seconds can easily decide a fight, allowing you to heal or prevent the opponent(s) from doing so. Keep in mind that any stun/panic/terrify attribute has a chance of completely canceling a charged skill, which can be lethal if timed when the opponent is charging his main healing one.

Scorch is for rogues.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Madnex For This Useful Post:

Robhawk

Shield + mana + mana regen = welcome 1 more rogue pet! well done sts! *lol*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

The base stats on Scorch is bad. Better to use Clyde over Scorch. Only -5% crit, but more damage and more health. Since Clyde also gives you +10 STR, you can move 2 passive from STR to CRIT if you really want which gives you +9% crit.
    Plus you have terrify/panic. Its the same with Crawly. In PvP speed is really only useful in TDM. In CTF, you're not really going anywhere. It maybe useful in a 1v1 fight if you overlap shields (arcane shield + Scorch arcane) if you don't use life giver. If you use life giver it maybe better to chain your shields one after another. But ultimate you have to think a rogue or mages can do a lot of damage in a few seconds, so whatever damage reduction there is, its not 100%. If you really like crit I would also look at Colton or Ribbit. Their cool downs are not that long when you look at pets like with panic/terrify and Scorch.

In PvE there isn't anything I like about Scorch. Maybe good for arena if you find you are too squishy. But you can also use Orion. I don't see how Scorch is worth 250 plat.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to falmear For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Scorch is wasted plat mythic pet... How can a shield that only give u damage reduction in around 10 sec (if ur shield dnt break down too fast and i believe in elite enemies hits hard) with very long cooldown, i believe 25 sec, be very precious ?

mana boost? LOL wasted status.. Better abbadon who give u permanent defense and damage with nice AA.. in PVP? it is far from slag.. U can get hitted 1 by Rogue and KO bcause of ur health

lack.. no health boost or permanent def only mana mana mana and mana is useless

But Anyway Scorch is the best MYTHIC MANA PET mage want to have LOL #sarcasm
    Last edited by n19one; 02-25-2014 at 03:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

is not.useless i used it in war its a good pet it seems uselesss but its good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Its good... Just good but nothing more than it..

Many pets ar better for PVE, even Orion as legend pets give better health boost permanent and nice damage too

Not worthed for mage.. Try it. 250 plats is wasted plats for this one..

I hav all mythic pet and i like abaddon and slag more than scorch. Nice shield? Yes.. But overall not good for PVE / PVP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pets arent useless just gotta find a way to use em properly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

So if i were to go into a ctf match witch pet would i bring in with me? Scorch or slag? Keep in mind i am a level 21 mage

Robhawk

Quote Originally Posted by Primeblades View Post
    So if i were to go into a ctf match witch pet would i bring in with me? Scorch or slag? Keep in mind i am a level 21 mage

Samael.