Thread: Why is weapon damage constant even though speed varies widely?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why is weapon damage constant even though speed varies widely?

Maybe I don't understand the melee damage mechanics of this game, but I'm seeing 1.4 speed weapons with nearly the same damage range as 2.0 speed weapons. Obviously the DPS of the faster weapons is much, much higher. Also the 2H weapons don't seem to have a much higher average damage than the 1H weapons, even though they're even slower. I have two Board and Nail of Legends (is it ever possible to dual wield?), and I haven't found anything better since level 19. I'm 26 now.

Am I missing something, or is melee heavily biased towards fast weapons?

--
    zooicidez - warrior
    xasha - enchantress

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

First, you cannot dual wield, though i wish you can =)
    2H weapons should have a much higher damage, what weapons are you comparing? that may be a problem.
    After last big update, weapons became MUCH slower, so now, really less people use 2handers, as they are twice as slow and even fast onehanders are now as slow as the slow hammers before update.
    http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8743/cerealsigpicfinal.png
    Signature Credits: Rebel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can Dual Weild, no doubt. Try collecting Pink items or "power" items for warriors. the items must be less than your surrent attribute points. Example at Level30 you dual weild at 70str and 70dex, find lower level pinks or items that may boost your str/dex up.
    [FONT=garamond]I like Bears. Be jealous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaw View Post
    You can Dual Weild, no doubt. Try collecting Pink items or "power" items for warriors. the items must be less than your surrent attribute points. Example at Level30 you dual weild at 70str and 70dex, find lower level pinks or items that may boost your str/dex up.
    Think by dual weild he meant one handed weapons in each hand not dual spec.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, giayuan's post was really confusing. And if so, why cant he Dual Weild? The hammer and 2H Sword speeds are stuck at 2.0 if I'm not mistaken.
    [FONT=garamond]I like Bears. Be jealous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaw View Post
    Well, giayuan's post was really confusing. And if so, why cant he Dual Weild? The hammer and 2H Sword speeds are stuck at 2.0 if I'm not mistaken.
    Huh? You cant dual wield in the first place right? One sword in each hand? I think that's what they've been talking about. Not dual spec-ing where you can switch between sets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In any game I've ever played "dual-wield" means a 1H weapon in each hand. TheLaw must be confused on terminology.

I'm comparing Board and Nail vs. Pink & Purple 2H weapons I've come across since lvl 19. I just bought a 2H hammer at auction that is a level 30 weapon and only about 6DPS better than my 1H Board and Nail. I wish you could compare items at auction with what you're currently wearing, because I bought the hammer hoping it might be 1H (which would be a safe assumption, based on the DPS of my current lvl 19 1H purple). BTW that was the first weapon I saw at all with higher DPS than my current weapon (I'm 27 now).

A lot of the other pink & purple 1H I saw had nearly the same damage range, but were 1.7, 1.9, or 2.0 speed vs. the 1.4 speed of my current weapon. The fast daggers for my general level are 0.9 and 1.0 and seem like they're around 20-25 DPS vs. my club that's roughly 48 base DPS (pre-stats). I'm talking about looking at what's up for auction. There are a lot of pink & purple 1H axes with similar damage, maybe slightly higher, but 2.0 speed instead of 1.4. The DPS of those weapons is far lower.

With the big improvement in shields around lvl 30, it looks like I'll be better off using an upgraded shield with my lvl 19 epic weapon for a long time, rather than "upgrade" to a higher lvl 1H and lose DPS, or a 2H weapon and lose a lot of armor.

Are the slash attacks base weapon damage + static damage, or only static damage from the ability description? I guess if the slash includes base weapon damage (similar to Mortal Strike and Whirlwind in WoW) then a 2H weapon would be favorable in a slash-heavy build.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Yeah that what was I was about to say. I think the skill damage multiplier towards the weapons are higher, so the higher the base damage of the weapon, the higher the slashes. Which make 2handed weapons more favorable towards spike damages and such.

I'm not entirely sure since even devs say on the 1.6 change logs that skill numbers will be corrected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Totally hijacking my own thread now, but since you're around and knowledgeable, any idea what the increase is between rank2 and rank3 of Stomp? (or maybe it's 3-4). The skill description is identical (early ranks increase range). Same with Beckon1-2-3 (don't know about higher yet).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You need to not focus on dps but on damage range.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DPS is what you get waiting for the weapon to auto-swing on it's own. The only way it makes sense to look at average damage per swing is if there are special attacks on a fixed cooldown (not tied to the swing speed) that do a multiplier of base weapon damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I have a pink conqueror's board and nail that I used way past lvl 19. It still a great weapon - very fast. You'll probably want to upgrade stomp - it increases at rank 5. And definitely increase beckon all the way - it is much more effective even though the description doesn't change.

axan (bear)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

For Beckon and Stomp the range increases as the skill level gets higher, I would say to max out both beckon and put stomp at 4 or 5, I don't notice a difference on either level.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iolite View Post
    Yeah, I have a pink conqueror's board and nail that I used way past lvl 19. It still a great weapon - very fast.
    axan (bear)
    Yep, I bought one of those as a slight upgrade for only about 3k plat.

From reading the Ursan guide I realized that there are unpublished improvements to Beckon as ranks increase, which are definitely worth taking. Stomp IMO doesn't improve much past rank3. It looks like damage, range, and cooldown improve, but not each at each rank.

I also didn't realize Hellscream has a chance to stun, which is awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    Huh? You cant dual wield in the first place right? One sword in each hand? I think that's what they've been talking about. Not dual spec-ing where you can switch between sets.
    Shadow Swords are dual wield. This means the skill providing additional dps increases by each weapon...