Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A modest proposal for gear/stats/etc for End Game

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Default A modest proposal for gear/stats/etc for End Game

I was about to reply in a thread and decided I should make my own post about it... please read through this entire thread before responding.

So in end game PvE/PvP, each class has two sets of weapons to choose from. Strength users can choose from a sword & shield or a 2h smoldering boulder; INT users can choose from a wand/bracer or a staff; Dex users can choose from a talon/shield or a bow.

A little background information before my proposal:

A big reason why some classes can outcompete other classes unfairly is because PL doesn't have a system where gear is class-specific. Any class can choose any type of gear, so long as it meets the attribute points and level. HOWEVER, we can see that as long as you're using the "OP" set, you're practically invincible. When everyone is "invincibile", nobody truly is. Because nobody is truly "invincible" then it diminishes skill and team play over time. Hate to break it to you guys, but our community has absolutely no skill and understanding of the game mechanics because we just spam our skills and run into action. People hardly know how to play their class respectively.

So... here's what I propose.

Each class has two sets of weapons, right? There are two important factors to this proposal.

1. Both sets (1h vs. 2h weapons) focus on either OFFENSIVE capabilities or DEFENSIVE capabilities.
    2. Weapons designed for class provided boosts/upgrades/etc. for the specific class(es).

Let's begin with 1.

I think this game would be a lot more fun and diverse if STS made use of the underpowered weapons. For instance, we have these sweet smoldering boulders for STR users, but nobody uses them because they're useless stat-wise! Why can't we adjust the stats on them to balance out with the other weapons?

To narrow it down for STS... or for the matter of more simplicity, each set of weapons should focus on 3 stats and lack the rest.

STR users 2h weapons advantages (Smoldering boulder): Damage, Skill Damage, Critical
    STR users 1h weapon advantages (Sword+shield): Armor, Dodge, HP/HP regen

INT users 2h weapons (a staff): Damage, Crit, Skill Damage
    INT users 1h weapons (Wand+bracer): Armor, Health points, Mana points/Mana regen <-- encourages a support class = more team play

DEX users 2h weapons (Bow): Damage, Crit, Skill damage
    DEX users 1h weapons( (Talon+Shield): Dodge, Armor, Hit Percent

Obviously all the classes will be balanced properly according to what class you're actually playing (a bear's STR 2h gear will always grant more armor than a mages 2h gear... role of classes).

*The next part of my suggestion to end game sets (and all sets) is COMPLETELY NECESSARY. Without this part of the idea, everything written above is completely useless.*

It's really cool that PL allows players to use different gear regardless of their class. But this then promotes HUGE inflations of prices for gear, lack of diversity, lack of teamplay, etc. I guarantee 85% of end game uses the STR sets... it's absurd - no other community is like this.

SOLUTION: Provide incentives for using your class specific gear. What do I mean by this?

Bare with me here:

As a mage, I would side towards buying a savage set. How can we prevent this? INT gear needs to provide separate stats that grant boosts/perks for the mages specific skills. For example, if I buy a int gear, then my spell called "Lightning Storm" will do +45 damage. MAKE PLAYERS TEMPTED TO USE THEIR CLASSES GEAR. That, however, does NOT mean players have to choose their class specific gear. It just promotes more diversity and more teamplay.

Other examples of this "incentive" method on gear:

A.) If you're a Rhino or a Bear, using (insert STR equipment) will increase your duration of "Stone Armor" or "Iron Blood" by 3 seconds.
    B.) If you're a Fox or a Bird, using (insert DEX equipment) will increase the spell "Rapid Bite" or "Blast Shot" by +30 damage.
    C. If you're a mage, using (insert INT equipment) will increase the range of all debuffs by 2m.

INCENTIVES. People will use the gear that makes their class as OP as possible. Make people forced to master their skills rather than the gear. This promotes better gameplay, fewer excuses, and an overall positive side to the game.

I kind of threw this together, so please ask questions or add ideas below. I know STS won't make many changes in the near future, but this is just for thought.
    Last edited by XghostzX; 03-17-2014 at 10:42 PM.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to XghostzX For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Sorry for the double post, but I tried emphasizing on the second factor more than the first factor. Both are important, but if I had to choose one, it would be the second factor to balancing gear/creating diversity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts

Well written, will.
    Judgementals, Retired Officer of Rated M.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Extreme For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Default A modest proposal for gear/stats/etc for End Game

Awesome, would stop all these nub str sets everywhere save the birds

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Impact For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys! Appreciate it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts

Good idea never thought of it like that. thumbs up for you will �� lets hope a dev replys with their thoughts on thread too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Good thoughts, Will! Practically speaking, I'm just not sure how it would look like (this statement isn't meant to be negative or positive. I'm just stating that I genuinely don't know what would happen), but in concept, this is a very smart idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts

I agree.

But still, as a l76 Rhino who plays a large amount of pve and some pvp, rhinos need something other than an armor boost. I can amass well over 80 armor with my buffs alone, which is enough. DMG received - Armor= DMG gained, which is subtracted on my health. Rhinos do not have any problems tanking, or being a pure support class.

I understand that a rhino was made that way. Well the truth is, support classes aren't used much anymore. Nowadays mages have 4x/3x combos and have no need for a pure tank support.

With the lack of dmg and an aoe combo Rhinos are useless in most situations. If there was non-elixired pugs then I believe that Rhinos would be wanted right off!

Even in slayer, I'll get booted even though I have a 3x or a Shamus on. Something has to be done?

Possibly making charge + redemption an aoe combo, or even better, making might have a slight root effect, and combined with wind, a knock back lightning combo.

Increasing the rhinos starting health a bit to compete with an ursans? Also a decrease in armor or an increase in dmg. Fix the one terrible buff as well lol.

Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

I like how any class can equip any items. I enjoy the freedom and I feel like if the system was used better it would add more diversity and build types rather than simplifying them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DivineMoustache View Post
    I like how any class can equip any items. I enjoy the freedom and I feel like if the system was used better it would add more diversity and build types rather than simplifying them.
    You did not read the entire thread. I'm not taking away the freedom to use different gear, but having a better focus on using your gear for your particular class creates a more positive atmosphere overall by promoting teamplay and more knowledge of legitimate skill. People still have the ability to use any type of gear they want.

@Micah - Thanks for the response. This is all in a very broad perspective - just taking a completely new approach that still seems reasonable, even though it may be a stretch statistically and time-wise. But still just another look at things.

@Argy - To reassure that Rhino's get more damage when applying it to my concept: In this case they would be more suited to a 2h weapon that ALSO grants them a perk (such as +50 damage on every charge attack). The sword + shield would grant them more defensive capabilities and would be for support/tanking. After all, a Paladin is a secondary Tanking class... it's more for support (in my opinion, but that's generally the role of Paladin's in many MMO's).
    Last edited by XghostzX; 03-17-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts

Very nice post. I would have to say for all gear sets though, not just end game. Pretty sure alot of 51-56 mages are tired of beckon stomp im so pro bears. If certain sets for mages offer less mana loss during ms or bears got a few seconds of extra health regen over the "op" gear pretty sure alot of people would switch.
    the day the world died I didn't even say goodbye
    Ign: Pocket Legends: WickedKlownz, Cainnblecter, Corpsefarm, Arcane Legends: cainnblecter, traumatized

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xcainnblecterx View Post
    Very nice post. I would have to say for all gear sets though, not just end game. Pretty sure alot of 51-56 mages are tired of beckon stomp im so pro bears. If certain sets for mages offer less mana loss during ms or bears got a few seconds of extra health regen over the "op" gear pretty sure alot of people would switch.
    Yes, I stated that this should be implemented for each level range. It's more directed towards higher levels because the stats are gradually more blown out... this would be a challenge to scale, but again - just a possibility/new aspect to the game.

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    615 Posts

Great idea!!!!! However, not to be rude or anything, but you may want to fix a little error: switch up the 1h and the 2h weapons as it may confuse some folks. (e.g bow is 2h wep not 1h)

The Castle That Never Was, with my Shadowstar and Eternal Frost, also with Ebonine.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Argyros View Post
    I agree.

But still, as a l76 Rhino who plays a large amount of pve and some pvp, rhinos need something other than an armor boost. I can amass well over 80 armor with my buffs alone, which is enough. DMG received - Armor= DMG gained, which is subtracted on my health. Rhinos do not have any problems tanking, or being a pure support class.

I understand that a rhino was made that way. Well the truth is, support classes aren't used much anymore. Nowadays mages have 4x/3x combos and have no need for a pure tank support.

With the lack of dmg and an aoe combo Rhinos are useless in most situations. If there was non-elixired pugs then I believe that Rhinos would be wanted right off!

Even in slayer, I'll get booted even though I have a 3x or a Shamus on. Something has to be done?

Possibly making charge + redemption an aoe combo, or even better, making might have a slight root effect, and combined with wind, a knock back lightning combo.

Increasing the rhinos starting health a bit to compete with an ursans? Also a decrease in armor or an increase in dmg. Fix the one terrible buff as well lol.

Thoughts?
    I've got a bit of a mini guide on how to boost rhinos without being OP, Ill see if I can get links up.

All for one, and one for all.

All for One, and One for All!
    The Brightest of Flames..cast the Darkest of Shadows..
    One who knows nothing cannot understand anything..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggron View Post
    Great idea!!!!! However, not to be rude or anything, but you may want to fix a little error: switch up the 1h and the 2h weapons as it may confuse some folks. (e.g bow is 2h wep not 1h)
    Oops, sorry. Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Hs should also be 10m max. Bears are for up close and tanking. Birds and mages should have an ability to kite it

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Why would bow focus on armor? shouldn't the bow focus more on damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

um also another thing. anyone notice how all the elite weps are 2h? y not add elite weps and shields and add set bonus upon those. So now we activate these effects through weapons that force you to use the proper skill spec. just trying to add on good idea i think. especially when i see more and more endgame mages around me go to str int.

-Dijnes-Sloppyslayer-Sleepyslayer-Scaryslayer-Anotherslayer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XghostzX View Post
    Yes, I stated that this should be implemented for each level range. It's more directed towards higher levels because the stats are gradually more blown out... this would be a challenge to scale, but again - just a possibility/new aspect to the game.
    Definitely would be a welcomed possibility. Wont argue there and definitely better then the same old "new ring idea read now plox" threads. Keep it fresh
    the day the world died I didn't even say goodbye
    Ign: Pocket Legends: WickedKlownz, Cainnblecter, Corpsefarm, Arcane Legends: cainnblecter, traumatized

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

As a Player who is playing halfway across the globe having only luxury of 3G internet with a ping that will never ever experience green, i will still stay strength regardless what are the changes, some of players like me need to be strength not because we are lazy to master the int skills sets, its because we are darn slow and to squishy, 486+ average ping vs 50 average ping players is suicide, its like a Ferrari vs Toyota Prius, most players who have never experience the condition that we have here will always say bad things that we are useless and have no skills using str sets, i wish i live in Austin, Texas where the server is but than the reality is I have no luxury of a good ping and i'm just a useless unskilled strength Pro noob.
    Last edited by bglir; 03-17-2014 at 08:37 PM.

Git – Ssneakykills

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bglir For This Useful Post: