Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffing Arcane Shield

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Default Buffing Arcane Shield

Good day STS, I have a suggestion, to address the squishy issues of mages.

Replace the knock back upgrade of arcane shield (which no one uses), to reduce cooldown to 15 seconds upgrade.

That way, there is less gap for us being unprotected. I say "less", and not "no gap" is because the arcane shield's 15 seconds duration (assuming you got the longer duration upgrade), rarely lasts the whole 15 seconds. In normal Shuyal/Tindirin, In elites, in PvP, shield maybe lasts at most 8-10 seconds when mages get the aggro of mobs.

When I recently did elite oltgar, you know the area wherein there's a long run towards the boss? I had to run there alone because i died on the boss area, the shield lasted only 2 seconds i think after the 2 seconds of invulnerability, and I died. Sad to say that I never made it to the boss area back again because I cant do it on my own. I just left the map. sigh.

Warriors have their permanent health and armor, rogues have their permanent dodge and armor, so at least give mages better protection pls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Pvp perspective: A big no no from me. Shield is already OP as it is. Mages have more survivalility than a warrior. On a mage, I can hardly do more than 600~ dmg non-crit whereas on a warrior I can do about 700+ non-crit. The arcane shield, with the right upgrades can easily triple a mages survivability.

Prove me wrong, but I don't think you'd like it if rogues had their Combat Medic (only heal/survival skill) reduced to 5 seconds, now would you?

Also, the following arguments are quite illogical/conflicting (replies in bold):

Quote Originally Posted by otb:1549732
    Good day STS, I have a suggestion, to address the squishy issues of mages.
    I have never played an mmo where the mage has >= armor than the tank or rogue. Fyi, mages have about equal hp to rogues

Replace the knock back upgrade of arcane shield (which no one uses), to reduce cooldown to 15 seconds upgrade.

That way, there is less gap for us being unprotected. So, you want to have the survivabilty of a tank, without any vulnerabilities? I say "less", and not "no gap" is because the arcane shield's 15 seconds duration (assuming you got the longer duration upgrade), rarely lasts the whole 15 seconds. In normal Shuyal/Tindirin, In elites, in PvP, shield maybe lasts at most 8-10 seconds when mages get the aggro of mobs.
    Well, the shield absorbs damage, not repels it, so of course it has to be broken. Scorch's shield is the same, it doesnt last for 8 seconds in combat..

When I recently did elite oltgar, you know the area wherein there's a long run towards the boss? I had to run there alone because i died on the boss area, the shield lasted only 2 seconds i think after the 2 seconds of invulnerability, and I died. Sad to say that I never made it to the boss area back again because I cant do it on my own. I just left the map. sigh.
    Play with a team, or buy good gear

Warriors have their permanent health and armor, rogues have their permanent dodge and armor, so at least give mages better protection pls. Ok. Lets look at this from the pvp perspective.

-Warriors have their permanent hp, armor - THEY DO LOWER DAMAGE - huge tradeoff
    -Rogues have dodge and armor - armor? Just 300 more armor. Dodge? Dodge is USELESS in pvp, it does practically NOTHING.
    -And whilst mages may have the lowest armor, they have the highest dmg! You want mages to have the best damage, stuns and many more abilities WITH the same armor as warriors? Get real, it's not going to happen.

Rogues, unlike the other two classes has no survivability buffing skill, pretty much. They are vulnerable to 3-4 hits ALL THE TIME, whereas mages are vulnerable to 3 hits, every 15 seconds? Hah!
    From reading your situation, I can conclude that instead of asking for buffs when you die (whilst soloing) in elites, you should switch classes to a tank. Reason being, is that you favour survival more than damage.

Good day.
    ~ Bless
    Last edited by Bless; 03-29-2014 at 06:05 AM.
    Credits to Iady

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bless For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheMiraclebird View Post
    Pvp perspective: A big no no from me. Shield is already OP as it is. Mages have more survivalility than a warrior. On a mage, I can hardly do more than 600~ dmg non-crit whereas on a warrior I can do about 700+ non-crit. The arcane shield, with the right upgrades can easily triple a mages survivability.

Prove me wrong, but I don't think you'd like it if rogues had their Combat Medic (only heal/survival skill) reduced to 5 seconds, now would you?

Also, the following arguments are quite illogical/conflicting (replies in bold):

From reading your situation, I can conclude that instead of asking for buffs when you die (whilst soloing) in elites, you should switch classes to a tank. Reason being, is that you favour survival more than damage.

Good day.
    ~ Bless
    In PvP, mages are FAR from being "OP". If the shield in itself is OP for you, then so be it, I'm too lazy to go into details, but the mage as a whole, again, is FAR from being OP. But whatever, I rarely pvp.

Its in the elites that I wished about this a lot. That 20 seconds gap of not having a shield translates into too many deaths for me. Spamming pots doesn't even help. lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Side note:

Also, STS, by replacing junk skills/skill upgrades with good ones, you could delay the major issue and work that you are facing right now about how characters and skills are already maxed out at L41.

With good skills and skill upgrades, people will be putting points there, instead of just putting it in passives because they ran out of place to spend their skill points in.

There are many skill and skill upgrades in all classes that are useless. rally cry, shadow storm shot, exploding traps, exploding time shift, shield knock back, life giver health and mana regen, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

I was saying that Arcane shield is op, not mages.

If you solely pve, shield isnt even useful there, unless you arent maxed. You may need to run with more tanks.
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I was saying that Arcane shield is op, not mages.

If you solely pve, shield isnt even useful there, unless you arent maxed. You may need to run with more tanks.
    ..but the mages are the ones using arcane shield sir.

Have you ever played a mage? A mage's main problem is survivability. So shield is useful wherever. The problem with shield is that there is a wide gap between active and inactive state. It still leaves a mage very vulnerable even though he has shield in his skills. In elite Nordr and above especially, try dropping a clock in the middle of a mob and the warrior is not holding aggro (warriors cannot hold aggro all the time because their taunt skills have their gaps too). Lets see what happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Mages have more survivalility than a warrior.
    What are you talking about? Whichever way you want to put it, however you want to explain it, this is just not true. lol.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to otb For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

I'm too Squishy :[

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

unless you arent maxed.
    I am not maxed. I'm all pinks actually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otb:1549927

Good day.
    ~ Bless
    In PvP, mages are FAR from being "OP". If the shield in itself is OP for you, then so be it, I'm too lazy to go into details, but the mage as a whole, again, is FAR from being OP. But whatever, I rarely pvp.

Its in the elites that I wished about this a lot. That 20 seconds gap of not having a shield translates into too many deaths for me. Spamming pots doesn't even help. lol.
    @Bless You can do 600 DMG on Mage with Arcane Shield and 700 DMG on Warrior....

Mage- 3K HP 3000/600= 5Hits= Death
    Warrior- 6K HP 6000/700= 8-9Hits= Death

Still Mages are Squishy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

LOL no they are not if you know how to play. If you say squishy, rogues have the same hp with only 300 more armor, no shield no absorb no 2sec invulnerability. Give me any rogue in 1v1 with same gear as me (not the ones with maxed out gear) and see how I take out that rogue who doesnt have any skill to increase survivability.
    If you say in PvE mages are the squishy because the shield will be broken fast, then dont run into a group of mobs of 10 or more, seriously. Everyone knows how many mobs after the boss-spawn-pull will be left behind in oltgar keep.
    EDIT: time bomb is NOT useless. It is really a bomb, useful in both PvE and PvP. If I managed to keep a rogue in the clock, after 10 sec of tick tocking, shes dead.
    Last edited by Sceazikua; 03-29-2014 at 10:05 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sceazikua For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Mages are too squishy...
    Mages may have the highest damage but.... (It's a big but) this class is at the highest disadvantage. Let's start with pve. The lowest survivability is the main concern... There really is nothing you can do to alter your toon so that you can run to the boss if the aggro from mobs is too much. A simple solution is to pull the mobs to a corner, die and then sneak past (this method does not work sometime and will not work in solo mode).

Now pvp lol. @bless just because the mages have more skills that stuns doesn't mean anything in pvp. Each class can only stun once in 7.5 seconds. But you are right in saying that dodge is next to useless in pvp. Mages have more survivability than a warrior? that is unheard of. Warriors have 4 skills to improve survivability, horn of renew, vengeful blood, juggernaut with rally cry being the weakest. Mages have three, arcane shield, lifegiver and gale (counting the 50% armour upgrade). Rogues have 4 but 2 of which are rarely used in pvp, so shadow pierce (counting the75% chance to 10% self heal), razor shield (avoids movement impairing debuffs I believe this includes stuns + 20% dodge), shadow veil (armour buff (works wonders against curse)) and lastly a rogues best friend, medic. Believe me waiting for the CD on shield in pvp is the most antagonising wait ever. The amount of times rogues rush out to kill me after I've killed them 1v1 is not cool at all.

Btw if you didn't know 300 armour is a lot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sceazikua View Post
    If you say in PvE mages are the squishy because the shield will be broken fast, then dont run into a group of mobs of 10 or more, seriosuly
    You have to run into them when you use clock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

And yes, 300 armor is a lot if you dont realize it. Combine this with high dodge, and it makes pot spamming a viable strategy for rogues, whereas in mages (w/o shield) it just doesnt cut it

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Yes, as bless said. It will be very too op.
    In pvp perspective. In pvp mage can also stun hard without using any stunning/locking pet like crawly, slag etc
    What more if the shield last longer and mages use stun pet a mage will turn into a hybrid of a tank, in pve it is fine specially in elites but using mage in maps without dying is kinda easy (with a party of course)., there long range, have big Aoe skills and a stunner.

Imho

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PlayerANDRE View Post
    in pve it is fine specially in elites but using mage in maps without dying is kinda easy (with a party of course)., there long range, have big Aoe skills and a stunner.

Imho
    No its not.

The clock which arguably is the most important skill in elite requires that you go into the middle of the mobs and drop it there. If you go in w/o shield because its CD, and the warrior is not maintaining taunt, youre doomed. Also many mobs dont get stunned in elite. If you play long range, with lightning ice and fire, then yes surviving is quite easy but again, no one would want to do elite with a mage w/o timeshift, unless ur gears are super op.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

Then find a better party instead of making your own smurf rambo, LOL. Btw There is always few seconds before the clock falls down from the sky, so it doesnt take agro that quickly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

And don't forget some mob (snakes & scorn) can't be rooted or snared using clock. And the exploding clock is a useless skill. And about gale, worst skill for elite and best skill in normal map(50/50). Buffing Shield is not required. Increase our ARMOR!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Instead of decreasing the cooldown of the shield, I think the shield just needs to be able to absorb more damage, or just make it last a whole 15 seconds. My shield doesn't even last 15 seconds against non-glaive/maul warriors, and even normal Tindirin mobs can destroy my shield before its time is up. And I have 140ish STR so this is a big problem.

Besides, without your shield, you are doomed as a mage. Most mages have 3.5k - 3.9k hp, and horribly geared rogues can hit a lucky 3.7k crit no problem. A geared rogue with razorbacks can easily hit a 4.1k crit, which would even one-shot arcane mages. Hell knows what a rogue with an arcane ring could do, are we talking about 6k crits here?

Bless, you and I both know that in a way, the Arcane shield is probably the mage's most important skill, as well as the mage's most horrible skill. You and I both know that any mage without a shield is good as dead. And you and I both know that it is ridiculously easy to 2 combo (and kill) any mage even with their shield activated.

Please buff the shields tyvm.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Instanthumor For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor:1550502
    Instead of decreasing the cooldown of the shield, I think the shield just needs to be able to absorb more damage, or just make it last a whole 15 seconds. My shield doesn't even last 15 seconds against non-glaive/maul warriors, and even normal Tindirin mobs can destroy my shield before its time is up. And I have 140ish STR so this is a big problem.

Besides, without your shield, you are doomed as a mage. Most mages have 3.5k - 3.9k hp, and horribly geared rogues can hit a lucky 3.7k crit no problem. A geared rogue with razorbacks can easily hit a 4.1k crit, which would even one-shot arcane mages. Hell knows what a rogue with an arcane ring could do, are we talking about 6k crits here?

Bless, you and I both know that in a way, the Arcane shield is probably the mage's most important skill, as well as the mage's most horrible skill. You and I both know that any mage without a shield is good as dead. And you and I both know that it is ridiculously easy to 2 combo (and kill) any mage even with their shield activated.

Please buff the shields tyvm.
    I agree with you, I wouldnt mind 500-600 dmg more absorption, but the arcane shield has already been buffed once previously.

Also, the new skill system can change gameplay so right now I am neutral (or slightly against) over skill balances.
    Credits to Iady