Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide: Should I get mythics now or wait for new mythics?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Default Guide: Should I get mythics now or wait for new mythics?

This continues to be a recurring question, especially among newer players who have not been around since season 3 and have not seen the progression of the mythics since they were first released. So here are some answers to some common questions:

Question: Will there be new mythics?

Answer: Yes there will be, although nobody knows when, but you can bet there will be some new mythic items released this season.

Question: Should I get mythics now or hold onto my money to buy the new mythics when they come out?

Answer: Be prepared for new mythic items to have similar cost to what the current mythics did when they were first released. That means 8-12m per item. So if you currently have 1.5m and you expect to be able to purchase a new level 41 mythic armor if & when it is released, you will be disappointed. In that case I suggest you buy the old one.

Question: When is a good time to buy a mythic item?

Answer: When there are more people selling than buying. This goes for everything, not just mythics. Prices drop when there are more sellers than buyers, and prices rise when there are more buyers than sellers.

So if you are worried that you may spend 1m on a mythic helm and only be able to use it for a couple of months before it becomes outdated, you should realize that those who have used their mythic helms for 6 months or more paid much more money for them. If you are worried about buying a mythic armor and/or helm and upgrading them to level 36, and then not being able to sell them afterwards, then I suggest buying magma armor and helm which you will later be able to sell.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    This continues to be a recurring question, especially among newer players who have not been around since season 3 and have not seen the progression of the mythics since they were first released. So here are some answers to some common questions:

Answer: Yes there will be, although nobody knows when, but you can bet there will be some new mythic items released this season.

Question: Should I get mythics now or hold onto my money to buy the new mythics when they come out?

Answer: Be prepared for new mythic items to have similar cost to what the current mythics did when they were first released. That means 8-12m per item. So if you currently have 1.5m and you expect to be able to purchase a new level 41 mythic armor if & when it is released, you will be disappointed. In that case I suggest you buy the old one.

Answer: When there are more people selling than buying. This goes for everything, not just mythics. Prices drop when there are more sellers than buyers, and prices rise when there are more buyers than sellers.

So if you are worried that you may spend 1m on a mythic helm and only be able to use it for a couple of months before it becomes outdated, you should realize that those who have used their mythic helms for 6 months or more paid much more money for them. If you are worried about buying a mythic armor and/or helm and upgrading them to level 36, and then not being able to sell them afterwards, then I suggest buying magma armor and helm which you will later be able to sell.
    As far as tanks go, I would suggest the new magma gear over myth. Higher armor (and in some cases HP) than myth at a much lower cost. I, myself, am considering buying g a magmatic will set for running the more strainuous elites.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Cant believe that we have to keep non-tradable set forever...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by faychen View Post
    Cant believe that we have to keep non-tradable set forever...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Liquidate it if you want to. The point of the upgrade system was to remove myth from the market so people can't sell their old sets, add 1-5mil, and buy the new latest greatest. It gave us a season of economic break but will be followed by a more expensive season (assuming people buy the new best gear).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Well explained.

Another recurring and even annoying question is:

Question: If I get mythics now and upgrade them to Lv 36, will they be 'upgradable' to Lv 41 again?

Answer: No, simply no.

Officer of the Collective

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Very well said. By my point of view, the hidden answer in eric's post is, wait for the new mythics to be released.

Assuming there will be new armors (new amulets are certain), a lot of people who have accumulated enough gold will switch to them and also another large branch of people who plan to gear up will probably save to buy the 41 mythics right-off (not buy the 26-31's first, which they'll have to upgrade). Thus the demand for mythic items around that level range will fall steadily but progressively, allowing access to them for the group of 500k-1m budget.

tl;dr: Save your gold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madnex View Post
    Very well said. By my point of view, the hidden answer in eric's post is, wait for the new mythics to be released.

Assuming there will be new armors (new amulets are certain), a lot of people who have accumulated enough gold will switch to them and also another large branch of people who plan to gear up will probably save to buy the 41 mythics right-off (not buy the 26-31's first, which they'll have to upgrade). Thus the demand for mythic items around that level range will fall steadily but progressively, allowing access to them for the group of 500k-1m budget.

tl;dr: Save your gold.
    News flash: when new myth helm and armor come out, the old ones won't be in locks anymore. I would reevaluate that 500k estimate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crowsfoot View Post
    News flash: when new myth helm and armor come out, the old ones won't be in locks anymore. I would reevaluate that 500k estimate.
    I'm guessing the old ones will still be in locked crates. Otherwise how will future players get the achievements for crafting the mythics? There needs to be a continuous supply of the older mythics. I suspect they will still come in locked crates, but at lower rates.

The fact that the upgraded sets are not tradable is what will keep the price somewhat high on the older armors and helms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Well while that may be true, I don't expect new mythic armors to come out first. The reason is simple - mythics released two and three seasons back are still slightly overcoming the best legendaries. Introducing new level 41 mythic armors is the fastest and most guaranteed way to sink the prices of the current elite legendaries and remove any excitement from awaiting the new ones.

Personally, I don't believe they would make such a wrong choice because in that case, we'll be returning to square one and the staggered gear system will have failed to increase the longevity of the freshly introduced gear. New armors would be upgraded, elites would become easy, cheap new pinks, nothing worth farming, ""what am I doing in this game again" type of situation will repeat itself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

I'm guessing the old ones will still be in locked crates. Otherwise how will future players get the achievements for crafting the mythics? There needs to be a continuous supply of the older mythics. I suspect they will still come in locked crates, but at lower rates.

The fact that the upgraded sets are not tradable is what will keep the price somewhat high on the older armors and helms.
    Elite chests drop myth, I got my armor by trading the mage version I looted from an EGW. By my understanding, arcane weapons are no longer in lcoks. I can confirm hooks are in EGPs still.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Well, based on your expertise when should we expect the new mythics? Thanks in advance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sdbigdaddy View Post
    Well, based on your expertise when should we expect the new mythics? Thanks in advance!
    There is going to be some sort of event/update that will happen in another few weeks and new mythics will be part of that. I'm guessing we are looking at a mini-update similar to what we saw during season 3 (when they added 2 new dungeons and the kraken mines) or season 4 (when they added the shuyal gladiator arena).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

And the AP to upgrade them became impossible. Impossibility is impossible to happen, you know.
    There should be a new quest line that destroys the lvl 36 mythics to something else, so people will have their mythic set used. In general, the current lvl 36 mythic set will be used for something (not upgrade again of course) because they cant be left alone like that when new gear are better.
    Last edited by Sceazikua; 04-08-2014 at 12:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

The problem is that for some reason new players do not want to actually play the previous campaigns. The game was not meant to skip right to level 41 in a few days. New players should be playing out each campaign to completion the same way original players did. So when you reach 26, you should work towards acquiring a mythic helm, then the armor at 31, and then you can use the upgraded version at 36.

I don't know why players are always in such a rush. I've played AL since the beginning, but I started playing PL about 2 years after it was released, and it took me 6 months of playing to reach end game, which was 66 at the time. Obviously end game in AL is not so high, but it's ridiculous that new players who just started are reaching 41 within a couple of weeks and then expect to be able to compete at end game without going through the proper grind to get there.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Hm. It was my understanding that the mythics were going to be upgradeable BC of the new "system" they want to go to. Ie using teeth for special purchases and upgrades. Mb i read wrong but this is what i understood. Itd be nice if someone from sts could just give us something on what to expect, if they even know yet. Just all seems wishy washy atm and unfirtunately the new magma armours, at least for rogue, are not very good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

I think a good solution would be to have "grand locked crates" and "grand locked crates II" with old arcanes (hooks, maul and kershal) and old mythics (lvl26 helm, lvl31 armor, lvl31 amulets and rings) in "grand locked crates" and new lvl41+ arcanes and mythics in "grand locked crates II." The old "grand locked crates" would be farmable from the same old maps and "grand locked crates II" would be farmable from new maps going forward including tindrin maps and new tombs as they come out. This would allow people to still farm for old crates containing old mythic and arcane gear, but also allow people to specifically farm for new crates containing the new mythics and arcane without fear of opening the crates and getting the same old gear.

Just a suggestion, although I highly doubt it will be implemented....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

As far as tanks go, I would suggest the new magma gear over myth. Higher armor (and in some cases HP) than myth at a much lower cost. I, myself, am considering buying g a magmatic will set for running the more strainuous elites.
    Selling Magma Plate of Tactics lvl41..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

I thought about this too Crow for my alt, but settled for Mythics instead. As I am aware there is still MORE items to be released later on during the season due to item staggering which most likely will replace these items. And those items I believe would probably be much more competitive or even blow the Mythics out of the water.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

This is FAQ lol and Looks Awesome!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Thanks energetic and btw good guide and starting pt for discussion. As to why players want to skip lvls: why wouldn't they want to? Their friends who got them into the game are all high lvls. If you want to roll with your friends you've got to lvl in watchers, etc... Also, the most valuable (scarce) items are in the higher lvl elites.
    Everybody's saving gold I noticed. 5 million per mythics here we come.