Thread: Plat VS Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default Plat VS Gold

I wanted to get some additional input on what people thought in regard to which currency it is most profitable to purchase elixirs with. I was having a discussion with another individual and it was off topic for the thread so I thought id start a new one. Any feed back would be great appreciated the structure and premises for my argument in favor of purchasing elixirs with gold are as follows:

Premise:Platinum has a great value than gold

Conclusion:Because Platinum has a greater value than gold it logically follows that elixirs should be purchased with gold given that gold is the less valuable currency

**Here is the post from the previous thread which was taken off topic by my post**

One- Plat is ACTUAL money. It originates by coming out of a players Credit Card or Bank Account
    Two- Gold is VIRTUAL money which can be acquired without a players Credit Card or Bank Account

Now lets look at a real world scenario with a regular plat purchaser. Perhaps he has a bad month bills are behind and he cant afford to purchase platinum because he must use ACTUAL money to do so. Now this is a real gamer who loves AL and wants to farm, hunt, and play, but he also has real world obligations which must be met what does he do?

Well, I would bet while this player may not be in a position to purchase Plat this month. He DOES have gold in his stash and in THIS case given THESE circumstances it is MUCH more preferable to buy that elixir with gold at whatever the market price is. Because again it does not have to be paid with ACTUAL money.

We can not operate under the misconception that gold and plat are one and the same. If you have plat are you likely to have gold? Absolutely. If you have gold did you use plat to acquire it? More than likely. However they are NOT the same due to their origin of acquisition for each currency.

**Yes there are the free plat offers I did not factor these in since any significant ones still require using ACTUAL money**
    **Yes an individual can purchase gold for RL money but this does nothing to disprove the premise "Plat has greater value than gold"**

The question being asked is which of the two types of currency holds more value Plat or Gold?

If the answer is Plat then my premise is true; and logically the conclusion must follow. Therefore gold should be the primary currency spent and Plat saved and spent on the items that it has so much more versatility in such as creating Stash, Inventory, Alts, Respecs, XP, New Pets, Event Items, Revives, Opening Locked Crates (I am personally opposed to opening crates but thats an entirely different thread) and so many other things that can be done so much more efficiently using Plat and in most cases may ONLY be done WITH Plat.

Why spend the more valuable currency Plat on something like elixirs, when they can be purchased with the lesser of the two currencies gold?

I would not go to the store and buy groceries and pay the cashier with precious gems or diamonds which appreciate in value when I can just use plain old cash. Would you?

Below is a rebuttal I received to my premise: Platinum has a greater value than gold.

"Platinum has no monetary value. You can convert money into platinum, but you can't convert it back. So platinum is not real-world currency. When you complete a free offer, you aren't getting paid with a real-world currency. You can only buy virtual items with plat, so it is a virtual currency. Just like gold. Like i said before, there is a gold-value for plat. It's whatever the amount you can officially liquidate it (in this case, 1 plat = 1,000 gold).

Another thing: When you buy plat, you can also buy gold. If you buy $89.99 worth of plat, you can liquidate it all to 1.7 million gold (though it wont be a smart move). Though most people use their plat for all those reasons Otatotomustam mentioned in his rebuttal of my post, you cannot use it for buying things in the CS (the #1 place where players buy items). You need gold for the CS. You need gold for trades. Gold is a precious currency."

Now nowhere in this rebuttal is my premise addressed. All that simply happened was misdirection about gold being used for trades and not being able to convert Platinum back into real world currency. Neither of which am I debating. Yes gold is used for buying things in CS. No, you cannot convert Platinum back into real world currency. However these do nothing to disprove my premise: Platinum has a greater value than Gold.

Anyone wanting to debate this must now either state if this premise is TRUE or FALSE. If your going to say my premise is FALSE please provide your reasoning.

Now consider this; Platinum can be used to acquire gold easily in a FAR greater ratio than 1:3. However GOLD can NEVER be used to acquire Platinum.

Another reason why I argue my premise: Platinum has a greater value than gold is TRUE.
    Last edited by OtAtOtomustam; 04-13-2014 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Update

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

Without doubt.

Plat>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gold.

Who says this is a lie should seriously consider seeing a shrimp or taking a long pause from the game cause maybe he is spending a lil bit too much on it.
    Last edited by Anarchist; 04-13-2014 at 04:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

You can easily convert plat in gold by buying elixir kits for 4 plat and selling them for 10k gold. 1:2,5k ratio is the biggest plat/gold ratio I ever seen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

If everything can be bought with gold, all of their top paying customers would stop buying plat. Anyone over 50mil would stop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zhaucakieeIsDead View Post
    If everything can be bought with gold, all of their top paying customers would stop buying plat. Anyone over 50mil would stop.
    I wouldn't necessarily say that plat buyers will stop buying plat. The gold has to originate from somewhere. In this economy, unless you work really hard, gold is quite hard to obtain (in large amounts)
    Hey, I'm a lone wolf. A wolf who wants to be friends with you :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MoloToha View Post
    You can easily convert plat in gold by buying elixir kits for 4 plat and selling them for 10k gold. 1:2,5k ratio is the biggest plat/gold ratio I ever seen.
    Grimm's egg is the best I think

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to basketholic209 For This Useful Post:

Z

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by basketholic209 View Post

Agreed, 250 plat for 800k yeah definitely tops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EliteFamily View Post
    Without doubt.

Plat>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gold.

Who says this is a lie should seriously consider seeing a shrimp or taking a long pause from the game cause maybe he is spending a lil bit too much on it.
    Name:  shrimp2.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  119.9 KB

Are we talking about a wild shrimp or can it be a cooked one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madnex View Post

That is a typo i meant "Shrink".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madnex View Post

Hohoho. Allergies. Pass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by basketholic209 View Post

Actually I'd say that arlor and steel commando have a better ratio....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ♕The king of AL has returned♕

Proud member of <21 Jump Street>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doomreaper View Post
    Actually I'd say that arlor and steel commando have a better ratio....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was aware about that ones, but if I'm not mistaken, vanities are untradeable at that time, right? So I don't count them, CMIIW

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I have updated the original post for review.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    936 Posts

The OP of the original thread was asking about the kits becoming unavailable after the limited time expires. I provided my reasons on why the kits should be a permanent implementation. Yes, platinum is more valuable than gold (1,000 times more valuable), but it still has a value in gold (1 plat is 1,000 gold). Your premise has nothing to do with that. Platinum has its exclusive uses as well as gold.

There are people out there who can virtually afford to spend gold more than they can platinum (those with lots of gold and little platinum). There are also people out there who can afford to spend platinum than they can gold (those with lots of platinum, and little gold). To the latter, your premise does not apply.

IGN: Łʊƈɨƒɛʀ
    Join the Discord Community!
    Arcane Legends Discord

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zylx View Post
    The OP of the original thread was asking about the kits becoming unavailable after the limited time expires. I provided my reasons on why the kits should be a permanent implementation. Yes, platinum is more valuable than gold (1,000 times more valuable), but it still has a value in gold (1 plat is 1,000 gold). Your premise has nothing to do with that. Platinum has its exclusive uses as well as gold.

There are people out there who can virtually afford to spend gold more than they can platinum (those with lots of gold and little platinum). There are also people out there who can afford to spend platinum than they can gold (those with lots of platinum, and little gold). To the latter, your premise does not apply.
    If we are in agreement then that Platinum is more valuable than Gold. My conclusion: Elixirs should be purchased with Gold because it has less value than Platinum is also true.

The debate came from your original statement:

"regular plat-buyers will still buy elixirs for 4 plat to use them. If they buy them for gold, then they lost profit potential. 1 plat is worth 1,000 gold. 9-13,000 (price of a kit) gold = 9-13 plat. It's a better deal for them to buy with plat"

There is in no way profit potential lost. Profit potential is lost by making elixir purchases with Platinum as opposed to Gold, not the other way around. If we are looking at potential profit we have to look at factors such as inventory space (To hold bulk investment items such as vanities or locked crates), mule alts(Additional Investment Storage), Auction Slots (To unload quickly into the market while prices are at peak levels sometimes only for a few seconds), even opening Locked Crates. All these are diminished when someone who has Platinum and Gold and says to themselves "Its better for me to buy this elixir with Platinum than it is for me to purchase this with Gold"

My point is all things being equal IF these elixirs remain a permanent fixture, given their current market value it is in no way more beneficial to for a user to continue to purchase elixirs with Platinum when they have the option to do so with Gold. There is simply too much more value in Platinum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    936 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OtAtOtomustam
    If we are in agreement then that Platinum is more valuable than Gold. My conclusion: Elixirs should be purchased with Gold because it has less value than Platinum is also true.

You disregarded the last paragraph to my post. In order for your conclusion to be valid, it would have to be true 100% of the time. It isnt. If you have 3,000 platinum and only 50,000 gold, it would make better sense to buy with plat than gold.

"regular plat-buyers will still buy elixirs for 4 plat to use them. If they buy them for gold, then they lost profit potential. 1 plat is worth 1,000 gold. 9-13,000 (price of a kit) gold = 9-13 plat. It's a better deal for them to buy with plat"

There is in no way profit potential lost. Profit potential is lost by making elixir purchases with Platinum as opposed to Gold, not the other way around. If we are looking at potential profit we have to look at factors such as inventory space (To hold bulk investment items such as vanities or locked crates), mule alts(Additional Investment Storage), Auction Slots (To unload quickly into the market while prices are at peak levels sometimes only for a few seconds), even opening Locked Crates. All these are diminished when someone who has Platinum and Gold and says to themselves "Its better for me to buy this elixir with Platinum than it is for me to purchase this with Gold"

Here is what i mean by a potential profit: Since plat can be converted into gold at 1:1,000, in order for the profit to be the same in both instances, a luck kit would have to be 4k in CS. So, here is the scenario:

If you buy a luck elixir for 4 platinum, and loot 4 locked crates during that 30 minute buff and sell them for ~44k, that would be 44k-4k (4 plat=4k gold) which would be a net profit of 40k.

If you buy a luck kit for 10,000 gold, and loot 4 locked crates during that 30 minute buff and sell them for ~44k, that would be 44k-10k, which would be a net profit of 34k.

My point is all things being equal IF these elixirs remain a permanent fixture, given their current market value it is in no way more beneficial to for a user to continue to purchase elixirs with Platinum when they have the option to do so with Gold. There is simply too much more value in Platinum.

In the end, the amount of gold you have determines your wealth. This statement is reinforced by the midas touch/goldfinger/filthy rich acheivements.
    My responses are bolded.

Arcane Legends Discord

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OtAtOtomustam View Post

Correct!

I also add that i usually buy plats just for revives and lix and i am not stinkingly rich BUT certainly i won't buy elixir with plats ever again cause those in AH are free elixirs.

And i won't buy revives with plat anymore if they come in form of kits infact all the stuff i spent plat for to farm will just be free stuff for me if i could buy them with gold.

The majority of the players that buy plat i think at least search for how to maximize their profit from the plats and it wont take long before they discover, if they haven't already discovered, that buying kits instead of plat lix is way more better.

The veterans? Pfft thier stashes and inventory slots are already filled with kits bought with gold for at least a month or two.
    Last edited by Anarchist; 04-14-2014 at 02:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

To your first point Zyl:

"You disregarded the last paragraph to my post. In order for your conclusion to be valid, it would have to be true 100% of the time. It isnt. If you have 3,000 platinum and only 50,000 gold, it would make better sense to buy with plat than gold."

No, it would be better in the long term to purchase an elixir with Gold. Here is why:

Lets take a look back at Halloween, Kraken Vanities, Even the St Pattys Day Event (Storage Space for Lock Purchases). Using a very simplistic and common form of conversion from Plat to Gold lets look at vanities. Halloween Vanities could have been purchased for 25P in October, lets put their average going market rate today at an average of 300K-400K (We can also do the same with Kraken Vanities although their average is higher). That means had these elixirs been available at that time and an individual decided to purchase just 5 elixirs for 4p each as opposed to purchasing a vanity set for 25p they lost 397,500gold (based on your calculations and ratio). Compound this amount several times over and we now have losses in the millions.

**Yes, vanities could also be purchased with Gold. But the ability to compound and maximize these gains is in Storage Space, and for bulk items to be maximized at peak prices which is usually only seconds Auction Slots. Both of which are done most efficiently using Plat**

You make a valid point and I understand your perspective more in this statement:

"Here is what i mean by a potential profit: Since plat can be converted into gold at 1:1,000, in order for the profit to be the same in both instances, a luck kit would have to be 4k in CS. So, here is the scenario:
    If you buy a luck elixir for 4 platinum, and loot 4 locked crates during that 30 minute buff and sell them for ~44k, that would be 44k-4k (4 plat=4k gold) which would be a net profit of 40k.
    If you buy a luck kit for 10,000 gold, and loot 4 locked crates during that 30 minute buff and sell them for ~44k, that would be 44k-10k, which would be a net profit of 34k."

A VERY good point.(Although in the first scenario my using 4p means that in some point in time I whipped out the Credit Card and STS got some of my hard earned cash, by me purchasing that same elixir with Gold I did not have to whip out the Credit Card)

However I was speaking more in the long term gains (whereas short term gains I can see your point and its valid).

The long term benefits of having Platinum saved up (By refraining from purchasing elixirs with it when it can be done with gold) for future events gives the ability to take full advantage of the opportunities that inevitably arise out of those events. Those opportunities can also usually be maximized most with Platinum wether directly or indirectly (Store Space, Auction Slots, Alts, Etc).

These opportunities maximized to their full potential in the long term will far out weight any short term losses.

Therefore I feel my conclusion remains valid: Elixirs should be purchased with gold given that gold is the less valuable currency

**I will concede though to your point Zly if we are looking at short term gains within a limited time period**
    Last edited by OtAtOtomustam; 04-14-2014 at 04:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    936 Posts

I agree that we both have valid points. I enjoyed this little debate. Not so often i find someone with conflicting viewpoints who are willing to intelligently argue the point. Thank you.

Arcane Legends Discord

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Zylx For This Useful Post:

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OtAtOtomustam View Post
    To your first point Zyl:

"You disregarded the last paragraph to my post. In order for your conclusion to be valid, it would have to be true 100% of the time. It isnt. If you have 3,000 platinum and only 50,000 gold, it would make better sense to buy with plat than gold."

No, it would be better in the long term to purchase an elixir with Gold. Here is why:

Lets take a look back at Halloween, Kraken Vanities, Even the St Pattys Day Event (Storage Space for Lock Purchases). Using a very simplistic and common form of conversion from Plat to Gold lets look at vanities. Halloween Vanities could have been purchased for 25P in October, lets put their average going market rate today at an average of 300K-400K (We can also do the same with Kraken Vanities although their average is higher). That means had these elixirs been available at that time and an individual decided to purchase just 5 elixirs for 4p each as opposed to purchasing a vanity set for 25p they lost 397,500gold (based on your calculations and ratio). Compound this amount several times over and we now have losses in the millions.

**Yes, vanities could also be purchased with Gold. But the ability to compound and maximize these gains is in Storage Space, and for bulk items to be maximized at peak prices which is usually only seconds Auction Slots. Both of which are done most efficiently using Plat**

You make a valid point and I understand your perspective more in this statement:

"Here is what i mean by a potential profit: Since plat can be converted into gold at 1:1,000, in order for the profit to be the same in both instances, a luck kit would have to be 4k in CS. So, here is the scenario:
    If you buy a luck kit for 10,000 gold, and loot 4 locked crates during that 30 minute buff and sell them for ~44k, that would be 44k-10k, which would be a net profit of 34k."

A VERY good point.(Although in the first scenario my using 4p means that in some point in time I whipped out the Credit Card and STS got some of my hard earned cash, by me purchasing that same elixir with Gold I did not have to whip out the Credit Card)

However I was speaking more in the long term gains (whereas short term gains I can see your point and its valid).

The long term benefits of having Platinum saved up (By refraining from purchasing elixirs with it when it can be done with gold) for future events gives the ability to take full advantage of the opportunities that inevitably arise out of those events. Those opportunities can also usually be maximized most with Platinum wether directly or indirectly (Store Space, Auction Slots, Alts, Etc).

These opportunities maximized to their full potential in the long term will far out weight any short term losses.

Therefore I feel my conclusion remains valid: Elixirs should be purchased with gold given that gold is the less valuable currency

**I will concede though to your point Zly if we are looking at short term gains within a limited time period**
    halloween vanities were 50p