Thread: Fae's PVE build for the new elite maps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Default Fae's PVE build for the new elite maps

I would like to share my PVE build which I have posted in my guild forum group sometimes ago:

Intro

As you all know, the new elite maps are much harder than those before. Squishy mages struggle to survive in these new maps. The focus of this build is to enhance mob control and survivability in the new elite maps. The build is slightly ‘untraditional’ as it includes ‘gale’, which may be dangerous to an elite party if it is not properly used.

The Build

Actives

5/5 Fire
    Traditionally, mages do not use the ‘scotch upgrade’ (charged fireball reducing hit chance of 20%) because there is no point to reduce the hit chance of mobs which have already been stunned by your charged fireball. However, in the new elite maps, some powerful mobs are immune from being stunned by charged fireball, hopefully getting this upgrade can enhance the survivability of the whole party.

5/5 Gale
    The reason I use gale is that ice becomes less effective in mob control in new elite maps. The mobs are now smarter and they tend to scatter instead of grouping together. As you may know, ice can only freeze a group of mobs when they are packed together. If I use ice, I can only freeze one to two mobs at one time (some mobs are even immune from being freezed!), unless a teammate has the cute whim brothers.
    Gale has a lower damage but it can stun a large area of mobs. With the ‘make the enemy stay on the ground for 3 more seconds’ upgrade, you can make mobs stay on the ground for even longer time!
    Another reason for using gale is that its charged attack is a move of dashing forward plus 50% armor boost, speed boost and it can stun the mobs surrounding the gale caster. This is particularly useful to running to the boss without dying.

4/5 Timeshift (No Time Bomb)
    I think there is no need to explain the use of a clock. I dropped the ‘time bomb’ upgrade as its damage is insignificant in elites.

4/5 shield (No Displacement Wave)
    A must-have for me.

5/5 ice
    Someone said the ‘ice patch’ upgrade is useless. I dunno…I just keep it as I find it quite useful.

Passives

5/5 Agility
    5/5 Knowledge
    5/5 Might
    2/5 Critical

Summary

This is a 5-skill build. I switch clock for ice at bosses. I also switch gale for ice if the rogue in party can use trap or someone has whim brothers which can pull the mobs together.

One point to note is that gale has to be used very carefully. A charged gale can make a tight group of mobs scattered. This will definitely piss off your teammates who try to pull the mobs together for fast killing.

I normally use ‘uncharged’ gale on mobs. As gale can push mobs forward, I usually circle around a group of mobs and use gale to push the archers towards the center of my clock. Please note that gale cannot push the mobs that have been stunned already. So what I do is to use gale to push the mobs to whatever direction you want and then stun them with charged fireballs.

This is my build and I find it quite useful in the new elite maps. It makes me and my teammates die less.

Feel free to give your comment.

Officer of the Collective

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,018 Posts

Fae. xoxoxo

Good share from best mage I know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts

Thanks for sharing your build.

I have re-spec Gale a number of times and have dropped it every time. After reading through your reasoning - maybe I just haven't given it enough time. I just have
    difficulty controlling the skill the way I can the others. Perhaps I need to just stick with it longer and with practice come to see it differently.

I agree with you on the scorch upgrade with fire (I believe its a 25% chance...) - anything to slow down the armadillos :-)

Cheers!
    Last edited by Otahaanak; 05-10-2014 at 08:13 AM.
    IGN:

Rogue: Drizzitty
    Mage: Cryformana

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Thank you for sharing...
    Mine is a bit different since i added heal for lolpvp,just for some APS
    YOU HAVE FAILED THIS GAME!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

ice is still better than gale in my opinion as it can still immobilize spiders, whelps and shamans. Personally I only spec 2/5 ice (main skill + the duration upgrade). I use Fireball>Shield> run in with charged ice and freeze mobs > drop clock > repeat. Efficient timing of Fireball>Ice>Clock combo will literally make sure a stunnable mob never moves, with charged proximity ice being the main skill to always re-apply after cooldown. With mobs that can't be stunned I like to use clock defensively to distance myself from them and attack from range. Use a magmatic totem if you need help grouping the mobs, that pull proc is very useful, whim not needed .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I already see a sorc use uncharged gale help warr manage mobs. Not using it right now, but wanna try it on the next free respec
    [Newcomx, Newcomy, & Newcomz]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

In what order do you launch your skills when attacking?
    "Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare." - Japanese Proverb
    IGN: Pureloot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

I usually start off with a charged fireball. I will then drop a clock. Then I will circle around mobs and use uncharged gale to blow them towards the centre of my clock.

However, it all depends on circumstances. If there is a good tank in your party who knows how to bring all mobs together (including archers), you will need to time your charged fireball or clock carefully. In this case, do not use charged fireball to stun mobs until your tank could bring all of them together. After your tank brings the mobs together, use charged fireball to stun the mobs first, then clock, then uncharged gale. (if you use uncharged gale first, the mobs will be blown away)

Officer of the Collective