Thread: How to take screenshots on a "UNROOTED" Android Phone!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Exclamation How to take screenshots on a "UNROOTED" Android Phone!

Ok, after several hours of searching the web and a lot of trial and error. I figured out how to do screenshots on a UNROOTED Android Phone.

I will give links and add the stuff that I had to figure out on my own because the guides had some flaws (for me) in the setup.

First off go to this link and follow the instructions there. It says for HTC Doid Incredible but I would think this part would work for all Droids. Other guides I have read are similar to this that doesn't specify HTC Incredible. This site site was the easiest to follow.
    http://www.knowyourcell.com/htc/htc-...ncredible.html
    Make sure to install the google add ons also.

Ok where it tells you once you install the SDK and the Java then it tells you to open the DDMS. I had a error telling me that it couldn't find the ADB File. What I had to do there is go to the platform-tools Folder and copy everything there (except the subfolders) and paste it into the tools folder then the Dalvik Debug Monitor would open correctly.

This section for HTC Droid Incredible only. I will do some more searching tomorrow to see if there is something special like this needed for rest of the Droids. Once I got threw SDK & JAVA part then I had to get it to read my phone. What I had to do it explained in this link.
    http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-droid-...t-capture.html

Then I was able to do UNROOTED screenshots on my android phone.

Now my disclaimer lol I am in no way a computer expert. I learned how to do this by pure trial and error so if some of my added tips are not needed or don't work correctly for you I'm sorry. This is what I had to do to get it to work for me.

I'm going to show you some of my screens I believe the only reason mine aren't perfect is because I have such a slow old pc. I don't even have USB 2.0 on it so that could affect why I had such a hard time getting the the moving images to come out even. I had to recapture the screen several times to get them to come out that good. So if you have a newer pc I think if will take the screenshots faster making them more even. Soon I will have my laptop then I can take better screens myself.

So good luck and hopefully it works for you too like it did me. Now those iPhone people won't be the only ones being able to take screenshots.

Droid rules!!!!!
    Last edited by Cabero; 12-24-2010 at 06:02 AM. Reason: To add, remove & rearrange some stuff to make it more readable.
    Currently playing Acabero in PL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks, I'll make sure to try later .

Fiuevy - Level 60 Enchantress.
    Sanatorium - Level 5 Twink Enchantress.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes the SDK is quite handy for unrooted Gingerbread devices in particular. These instructions worked for me: http://www.wmlcloud.com/mobile/how-t...bread-devices/