Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Guide: The Mage Kills The Maul! Part II

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    As for skill switching, they should just make it so you cannot switch out a skill while it is in cool down. You have to wait until that skill is cooled down before you can switch it out.

As for balance, that is another issue entirely. The classes should be balanced without having to rely on skill switching, and this may take STS some further time to sort out, since switching skills has given them a false sense of class balance.

For example, warriors may not be quite as good as they have been. Since warrior skills have the longest cool downs, they will probably be most affected by this change, which I think we all agree will help class balance. But mages will also be affected. So we will have to see.

My suggestion for addressing the issue of class balance is to play with skill cool down times, not the skills themselves, and not damage amounts. So for example, if STS determines that mages have issues against warriors, but not against rogues, then they should ask themselves what skills do mages use against warriors that they do not use against rogues? Answer would be lifegiver. So maybe lower the cool down on lifegiver by a few seconds. I just give that as an example, but that is how class balance should be addressed. If rogues are causing too much damage too quickly, then maybe their cool downs on some of their skills should be raised.

It would be nice if we reach a point where a 1-on-1 battle is pretty even regardless of class, and is more dependent on gear and skill. The best mage should be able to beat the best warrior 50% of the time. And the best warrior should be able to beat the best rogue 50% of the time. And the best rogue should be able to beat the best mage 50% of the time.
    ^^^^^^^This!! An issue with buffing mages is that they can already kill a rogue in seconds, however doing something subtle like this will help mage class!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

I'm just talking anything related with your thread bro, please be polite..

What I talk is about switching skills, I even do not blame or judge your own very nice thread for mage (even do not mention anyone here).
    I mean is so mage can kills a maul by "switching skills", and read some comment before that did STS allowed "switching skills"
    thats all ^^

Sorry if my perspective different with others and bother you (didnt meant that bro), just share what I know about mage switching skills ^^

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kreasadriii For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kreasadriii View Post
    I'm just talking anything related with your thread bro, please be polite..

What I talk is about switching skills, I even do not blame or judge your own very nice thread for mage (even do not mention anyone here).
    I mean is so mage can kills a maul by "switching skills", and read some comment before that did STS allowed "switching skills"
    thats all ^^

Sorry if my perspective different with others and bother you (didnt meant that bro), just share what I know about mage switching skills ^^
    Thank you for your opinion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Instanthumor For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

The only thing I disagree with here is that mages are useless and better be swapped for rogues on clashes except if they have curse. A team with a warrior, two rogues and a sorcerer will win against a warrior and three rogues anytime. A well-placed early AoE stun with fireball decides clash outcomes - in those two seconds you and your team members can deal a very large amount of damage and possibly take out one/two opponents (without counting the chances of canceling a long cooldown skill on the warrior).

Good guide overall, I'd like to see an updated version if skill-swapping is taken out. Heck, I'll even help compose it then.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Madnex For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madnex View Post
    The only thing I disagree with here is that mages are useless and better be swapped for rogues on clashes except if they have curse. A team with a warrior, two rogues and a sorcerer will win against a warrior and three rogues anytime. A well-placed early AoE stun with fireball decides clash outcomes - in those two seconds you and your team members can deal a very large amount of damage and possibly take out one/two opponents (without counting the chances of canceling a long cooldown skill on the warrior).

Good guide overall, I'd like to see an updated version if skill-swapping is taken out. Heck, I'll even help compose it then.
    I disagree, mages especialy curse mages in group fights will easily win against rogues. Mages have high aoe damage which is perfect for clashes too

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Primeblades For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

Default Guide: The Mage Kills The Maul! Part II

Quote Originally Posted by Primeblades View Post
    I disagree, mages especialy curse mages in group fights will easily win against rogues. Mages have high aoe damage which is perfect for clashes too
    That's exactly what he was saying. He said he disagreed that mages are useless on clashes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by UndeadJudge; 05-22-2014 at 06:41 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to UndeadJudge For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

The 4 skill build to kill war?
    Fire lightning Heal shield
    Passive str, int, crit, dex,
    and you have rly on crit pets or panic pets ( slag, samel, ribbit)
    Don't close combat against war ( that's one of the reasons staff sucks in pvp). Use gun. Keep range.

And one another tip is zoom out camera to maximum in game options. so you can effectively see the enemies and range. however certain war use 6, 7 skills. can't kill them. now disallowing skill swap will give mage a higher chance to kill warrior.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by supersyan View Post
    The 4 skill build to kill war?
    Fire lightning Heal shield
    Passive str, int, crit, dex,
    and you have rly on crit pets or panic pets ( slag, samel, ribbit)
    Don't close combat against war ( that's one of the reasons staff sucks in pvp). Use gun. Keep range.

And one another tip is zoom out camera to maximum in game options. so you can effectively see the enemies and range. however certain war use 6, 7 skills. can't kill them. now disallowing skill swap will give mage a higher chance to kill warrior.
    As of right now, yes. Fireball, Lightning, Heal, and Shield would be the ideal 4 skill build.

As I mentioned in the guide, pet's like Slag aren't recommended because they give no crit. You'd have to be an Omninub to use Ribbit against warriors, but you lose a significant amount of damage (no INT).

Keep in mind that this thread is a discussion for 1v1 mage vs warriors, not how well mages strive in clashes, thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor View Post
    As of right now, yes. Fireball, Lightning, Heal, and Shield would be the ideal 4 skill build.

As I mentioned in the guide, pet's like Slag aren't recommended because they give no crit. You'd have to be an Omninub to use Ribbit against warriors, but you lose a significant amount of damage (no INT).
    Instanab, try this: fit two lightings in a ribbit AA. Ribbit is the ideal pet for sorcerer since the huge STR boosts the longevity of arcane shield while the lack of INT is bypassed by nuke-playstyle. You do lose the ability to stunlock though.

One very nice piece of advice here is keep your Ribbit low level. The debuffs and/or damage are not worth it while they increase the chances of a warrior recovering mana/HP through veng/jugg.

On another note, curse is pretty weak in 1v1's if you know how to counter it and it's not worth giving up neither your fireball stun nor your lucky lighting critical hits. Apart from sorc vs sorc with no heal, you can counter curse easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor View Post

Keep in mind that this thread is a discussion for 1v1 mage vs warriors, not how well mages strive in clashes, thank you.
    Agreed! Slag is not good at any lvl for 1 vs 1 especially against war -__-
    Colton at least give crit for 6 seconds and passively stunt better than slag

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

ethyl and grimm are very good too. Grimm will become wiser choice for mages getting new mythic gun. Because of the armor reduction 25% by gun and grimm passive 20% and AA 10%. it can stack.
    Mccraw is a good choice too. its snares and stun( looks different) passive.

The reason i suggested slag because of its additional burning dmg and speed bonus
    Last edited by supersyan; 05-23-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

ethyl and grimm are very good too. Grimm will become wiser choice for mages getting new mythic gun. Because of the armor reduction 25% by gun and grimm passive 20% and AA 10%. it can stack.
    Mccraw is a good choice too. its snares and stun( looks different) passive.

The reason i suggested slag because of its additional burning dmg and speed bonus
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but they won't stack. I understand that Grimm's passive stacks with itself, but I'm not sure if it would stack with other debuffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UndeadJudge View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but they won't stack. I understand that Grimm's passive stacks with itself, but I'm not sure if it would stack with other debuffs.

What i meant is grimm passive stacks and we get constant armor reduction if we use gun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts

What i meant is grimm passive stacks and we get constant armor reduction if we use gun
    Ah, I misunderstood. True though, that would be nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

To be honest you do not need to switch skill to kill a mauler as a mage. I've done it many times with 4 skills. That said, mages are still weak. Buff please.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonut For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leonut View Post
    To be honest you do not need to switch skill to kill a mauler as a mage. I've done it many times with 4 skills. That said, mages are still weak. Buff please.
    I vs maulers with Samael on a daily basis, and I need 5 skills. Feel free to show me, it'd be very interesting to watch you use only 4 skills AND win. My ign is Jackmihada and I'll be online all day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leonut View Post
    I've done it many times with 4 skills.
    Name:  Zt6x2U6.png
Views: 276
Size:  336.8 KB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madnex View Post
    Name:  Zt6x2U6.png
Views: 276
Size:  336.8 KB
    Ikr... Nice arcane gun you got there Leonut.

Robhawk

Have you ever played vs a warrior with axe throw? How you want to keep distance? lmao... 1 pull and you are in meele range.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robhawk View Post
    Have you ever played vs a warrior with axe throw? How you want to keep distance? lmao... 1 pull and you are in meele range.
    Yup. They pull me within melee range. But not every war uses Axethrow. even if they use try to get away from melee range by using wall corner or use panic pet or fireball stun/panic them before landing next blow and escape from melee range. Instead of blind spamming use timing. In theory its easy to say. In reality 90% chance mage will die anyway.

What they do when vs is they activate jugger and throw every skill they got by switching. Axe SS WM CS. That will finish me off anyway. If somehow i survived they switch again use heal and vb to replenish and attacks again.