Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: 2014-05-19 Content Update (148101)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Just tried the revamped Shadowflare in PvE. The cast time is so much better, but...

- The 33% chance snare from Shadowflare does not help since I have charged clock (roots 100%) and frost (freezes/snares 100%).
    - The 14% chance crit reduction from Shadowflare does nothing for me because I have charged fire (stun 100%/reduct hit 25%) and frost (freezes 100%).

Also, for the same cast time, I do more damage with my regular spells/normal attacks. In short, Shadowflare still does nothing for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

So in pvp i see no difference in vs and minimal difference in clash... it wasnt like my team was thanking me for throwing some shadowballs into the mix, even tho i was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rean View Post
    In short, Shadowflare still does nothing for me.
    My point exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Ran some elites and testes it... still not seeing anything major... cam we plz just get this staff to be on par with other seasons arcane weapons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

nice improvement. thnx!
    Ign: Cooletzzz (AL & AB)
    “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carapace View Post
    it's quite a large damage boost in terms of the Ker'shal changes. If originally you can only do 1 attack every 1.6 seconds, that means with a .75 charge time players can cast a little over two shadow balls in the same amount of time as before, in addition to shooting backwards which allows better kiting. compared to the previous version the same amount of time will yield about 150% damage over the previous charged abilty of the Ker'shal Scepter, with an improved slow chance to boot.
    Dear DEV

1. Arcane staff was a last season gear and no major changes until now. those changes should be made months ago.
    I felt STS do not care about mage players in a very disrespectful way.
    2. The currently proc is not helping mages,(I dont know how many time we have to say it) please give us armor buff or lower opponents armor or Heal regain
    3. I dont wnat to get in to how warriors farm mages, everyone knows.......

Thank you Jon!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

sell it .. use mythic everyone happy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I would at least like an explanation of why getting rid of Shadowflare isn't on the board from a Dev?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts

Singe 2.0

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

I realized that while replacing Singe's stun with Slag's panic is a great fix, and I am sure the developer's already know that, they also know that it is too dangerous at this time. Having Slag's panic would definitely make Singe too powerful for those who abuse the current bug that allows Arcane Spamming! I do hate that the cheaters ruin it for the rest of us, but I can accept it if we have to wait for a fix to Singe to come out with the new client to prevent him from becoming over powered.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

After playing around with shadowflare in PvE, I have to agree that it's still pretty useless. The chance to slow or reduce crit aren't worth charging your normal attack for.

It would be nice if we got a a proc for PvE that would actually make the staff worth charging for. Currently, you'd sacrifice damage for a barely noticeable and fairly useless debuff. I can understand it could potentially have its uses in PvP, but PvE is completely overlooked here.

Let's take a look at the current state of shadow flare...

It deals about xxx dmg on x targets. You guys make it sound like it's just like fireball, but it's nowhere near an upgraded fireball skill. Compared to fb, it takes around the same time to charge, deals way less impact damage, doesn't have any dot component or any useful debuff (see further down this post for details). Sure, it deals AoE dmg, but so does my non-charged weapon attack. To make matters worse, the damage is even lower than a normal attack now. Why on earth would anyone charge an attack in PvE if it deals LESS damage as compared to an uncharged attack? For the additional benefits? Let's take a look at the procs...

33% chance to slow. As a PvE sorcerer, one of the thing you need is crowd control. Most sorcerers group up mobs until they are tightly packed and drop time on their butts. Where's the use of a slow proc there? It would only slow down the time before everything is nicely grouped together.

14% chance to reduce crit. Maybe could save you a death here and there, but nowhere near enough (or even noticeably) to warrant loosing damage output over.

My suggestion would be to add something that would make it worth charging for in PvE. Sorcerers already need to charge most of their skills (in PvE), risking their squishy lives every time they do so (unless they use some hotkeys on PC to spam health pots). Unless it's something worth charging for, nobody will charge. I know I won't.

So what would make it useful for PvE?
    I could think about a ton of thing like some slight crowd control (similar to the magmatic staffs), stuns, armor buffs, a dot component, higher impact dmg, enemy armor debuffs... You name it. I understand PvP balance should be considered with any buffing of weapons, but that doesn't mean it should have totally useless charged procs in PvE.

So yeah, it's nice of you guys to seemingly make the staff a bit better for PvP, but it would also be nice if PvE would get the same kind of attention.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JaytB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    So yeah, it's nice of you guys to seemingly make the staff a bit better for PvP, but it would also be nice if PvE would get the same kind of attention.
    Charged attack is just as useless in PvP. You don't win by doing less damage. You don't win by having less of a chance to reduce your opponent's damage. The staff was only made better for PvE when fighting a boss because it auto targets now. But in PvP this has very little application. If you lead with a charged staff attack, then you are giving up other options. The two most obvious is leading with a charged fireball (stun your opponents = 0 damage inflicted on you) or charged shield (2 seconds of invulnerability = 0 damage inflicted on you). Why anyone would give up canceling your opponents attack to charge the staff to do significantly less damage and having an extremely low chance to do anything is beyond my comprehension. So the design is an absolute failure in my opinion by having two separate procs.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to falmear For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Kershal Scepter is the biggest disappointment in the history of AL without a doubt. As a mage, you have been always underpowered, but unlike the former seasons, you need now an arcane weapon just to be decent vs rogues with crate bow and still running away from warriors.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

after watching the livestream few days ago, i got to say: ' sts don't really play their own games. What else do you guys expect from them?

IGN: Thorluffy,Thorluffybolt,Thorluffysama,Thorluffyris e

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

I dont think Kershal Scepter is worth the "arcane" red color. Carapace said arcane weapons should make the user a "bad mama jama", it happens with Maul and Hooks at their levels but I dont think Kershal Scepter did get sorceror to anywhere with the proc or (75% damage than normal attack) shadowflare. Lets compare with other arcanes
    -Maul of Ollerus: 60 STR, -50% AOE armor along with panic on them, a charged attack that deals about doubled damage than the normal attack which is already super strong
    -Black Beard's nefarious hook: Chance to jump to others, -15% Armor, -20% Movement Speed, and Bleed Effect. Charged attack does about doubled damage too.
    -Kershal Scepter: 60 INT, 10 mana regen (which is basically nothing in the mana pool of 5000) <--- wtf? Now it has a charged attack which casts shadowflare dealing 75% damage than non-charged attack. "Chance" to slow (which is nothing compared to ice and time shift skills), "chance" to debuff 14% crit, while only 1 shot of aimed shot gives rogue 10% crit and it stacks. All these debuffs have high chance not to do anything.

-Suggestion 1: give it a "good chance" to stun/panic, or at least make the debuffs noticeable. Even the expedition recurve from crates do a "powerful snare" and it comes from spammed normal attacks.
    -Suggestion 2: make the uncharged attack a chance to cast shadowflare (5% maybe), and get rid of the 100% cast shadowflare from charged attack and let it deal doubled damage like any other weapons.
    Last edited by Sceazikua; 05-21-2014 at 08:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

After using the "arcane" staff since the update, I still have to admit that the only thing that has had a positive change has been the charging time and the auto aimed charged attack. Other than that, I still consider this very unworthy of being considered an "arcane" weapon. I don't know about everyone else, but I still feel that the only good thing about this staff is the stat boosts. The procs are pathetic, the damage it does is even worse, and it's still not worth the time charging this thing. Please make this staff worthy of being "ARCANE". Hopefully devs will take another look at this staff and try to make it live up to its name. Of course, we may be waiting another 6 months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Yeah, after testing it out I'm back to just using it non-charged.

Shadowflare sounded like a nice idea, and now that it auto-targets I could see it being useful IF it had a decent proc and decent damage. But with such low damage, even lower than a non-charged attack, and such a low chance to proc a pretty useless debuff, I don't see the point really.

What it really needs is a armor debuff like the maul, something that would actually help me fight a warrior.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    What it really needs is a armor debuff like the maul, something that would actually help me fight a warrior.
    An AoE armor debuff would be great for PvE too.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JaytB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haligali View Post
    Kershal Scepter is the biggest disappointment in the history of AL without a doubt. As a mage, you have been always underpowered, but unlike the former seasons, you need now an arcane weapon just to be decent vs rogues with crate bow and still running away from warriors.
    This who made mage with arcane staff still hard to winning PvP 1 vs 1 against rogue (mythic dagger) and warrior (legend weapon)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

I wish they would remove the proc on charged attack and just move everything to non-charged attack proc. No matter what they do no way I will be charging to do less damage given how low the chances are to do anything. They can just leave the charge attack as the shadowflare with no proc.