Thread: Event leaderboards here to stay?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Default Event leaderboards here to stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    We are definitely doing class leaderboards in the next one
    As a moderate plat spender I still could not have come close to being on the leaderboard, let alone win it. Falmear broke down how much you would have had to spend to win this contest.

Quote Originally Posted by falmear View Post
    To win this contest you need to spend around 45 million in gold buying kits or around 15,000 plat. A simple formula to see what everyone spent is take their points, divide by 30. The most common boss gave 30 points. Then multiply that number by the cost of 1 entry. So lets say an average of 15k per kit or 5 plat per entry.

Most people don't have this kind of money to spend. There is a middle class in this game and it was ignored completely. That's why so many people were upset. Most people were trying to just deal with getting energy to run this event let alone try for the LB. This event was made for the plat whales and to see how much money sts could bring in from such a plat hungry event. But I wonder since they are going to be continuing with using a leaderboard, how much are the events really going to change from this one? Will shady and surge be the top prize for the next leaderboard? With only the rich able to achieve it? There are many questions this pose.

Instagram: arcanemusings
    Guild: Immaculate

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oonova For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

There is many more problems with this event system in my opinion then what is only achievable by the top ~1% of players. However I feel like the train is on the tracks and moving in a certain direction. There is no changing which way we are going, you can only get off if you want. I'm sure we will see some refinements but basically this is how it is so don't really expect too much to change.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to falmear For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oonova View Post
    Most people don't have this kind of money to spend.
    In the end, maybe this was a genius move that no one quite gets.
    Everyone and their mother comes up with ideas for gold sinks for the rich, so that the gap is not as extreme as it is now.
    Now this leaderboard thing made ~40 top players spend 10s of millions for just a banner and, lets admit it, a pet that is just one pet, however rare. It's not like they are going to breeze through elites with it.
    So, with the right mindset, the leaderboard was a total succcess.
    Disclaimer: my lameness is figurative but strong

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Milan Lame Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts

The leaderboard isn't the real problem here. The problem with this event is the fact that unless you spent tons of gold or plat you couldn't play and enjoy it. It has to open up to all players whether rich or poor. Energy is a good way for players to convert plat into gold so it is a good thing for some people. Also, I think it generated some real revenue for STS. That can be a good thing for the game in the long run. However, there needs to be a way for free players to get some enjoyment from these events.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigboyblue For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

The root of my issue with the event is the fundamental design of it and the general direction of this game.

Anything that restricts players from playing, yet continues to reward the big spenders pushes me that much closer to stepping away. I am a moderate plat spender, and even though I burned about 600 plat and 1m gold in energy, reroll and combo, I walked away thoroughly disgusted by the whole event.

So, in a nutshell, what did this event do besides decimating elite loot and elite activity in general while at the same time alienating every player without gold/plat for energy? Not a thing - all it did was reinforce the feeling that STS continues to favor the rich (in plat and/or gold) and the broad "middle-class" of Arlor was largely ignored. Portal guarding, setting up the map with a twink and entering with a capped toon and all the other things that were known and subsequently corrected during the Tarlok event were somehow overlooked. Even the mid-event patch which put a portal in town only serviced the plat/gold spenders and did nothing for the mainstream player. How many times did the average player spawn a portal but didn't have the energy, nor energy kit/plat to enter it?

Then, on top of the event, STS designs and announces a new Locked Crate, which, almost immediately, erodes the value of the "old" Locked by 20%. So, where can this "middle-class" go to generate some reasonable in-game revenue when elite loot isn't moving, Locked are losing value and you have an event system which throws up a pay wall and only grants free entrance once every 8 hours?

Each and every step being made lately has obviously turned this into a P2W game, and with each passing season, I long for a return back to seasons 1 and 2, where skill was rewarded, plat gave just a small advantage and it didn't take tens (or hundreds) of millions in gear/pets to be an elite player. Now, you can only realistically loot Elite Legendaries with combo/reroll plus a Lep, and even if you do get lucky, most Elite Legendary gear is effectively worthless; compare this to season 1 and 2 Elite Legendaries, where even the worst drops held substantial value. Any version of a Vorpal, Juggernaut, Beserker, Ranger, Lifethief, etc., all were desirable.

It's just difficult to stay motivated to farm elites when the loot isn't moving. I don't run normal maps, I don't farm locked, and I don't have 20 different toons all farming story tokens. I play the main spine of the game, yet it isn't all that challenging and not very profitable right now, so where should nubs like me turn to?

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    The root of my issue with the event is the fundamental design of it and the general direction of this game.

Anything that restricts players from playing, yet continues to reward the big spenders pushes me that much closer to stepping away. I am a moderate plat spender, and even though I burned about 600 plat and 1m gold in energy, reroll and combo, I walked away thoroughly disgusted by the whole event.

So, in a nutshell, what did this event do besides decimating elite loot and elite activity in general while at the same time alienating every player without gold/plat for energy? Not a thing - all it did was reinforce the feeling that STS continues to favor the rich (in plat and/or gold) and the broad "middle-class" of Arlor was largely ignored. Portal guarding, setting up the map with a twink and entering with a capped toon and all the other things that were known and subsequently corrected during the Tarlok event were somehow overlooked. Even the mid-event patch which put a portal in town only serviced the plat/gold spenders and did nothing for the mainstream player. How many times did the average player spawn a portal but didn't have the energy, nor energy kit/plat to enter it?

Then, on top of the event, STS designs and announces a new Locked Crate, which, almost immediately, erodes the value of the "old" Locked by 20%. So, where can this "middle-class" go to generate some reasonable in-game revenue when elite loot isn't moving, Locked are losing value and you have an event system which throws up a pay wall and only grants free entrance once every 8 hours?

Each and every step being made lately has obviously turned this into a P2W game, and with each passing season, I long for a return back to seasons 1 and 2, where skill was rewarded, plat gave just a small advantage and it didn't take tens (or hundreds) of millions in gear/pets to be an elite player. Now, you can only realistically loot Elite Legendaries with combo/reroll plus a Lep, and even if you do get lucky, most Elite Legendary gear is effectively worthless; compare this to season 1 and 2 Elite Legendaries, where even the worst drops held substantial value. Any version of a Vorpal, Juggernaut, Beserker, Ranger, Lifethief, etc., all were desirable.

It's just difficult to stay motivated to farm elites when the loot isn't moving. I don't run normal maps, I don't farm locked, and I don't have 20 different toons all farming story tokens. I play the main spine of the game, yet it isn't all that challenging and not very profitable right now, so where should nubs like me turn to?
    I've been asking exactly the same question. I have 2 toons - I've just equipped my tank to the point where he should be running high elites, getting more APs and generally strutting a bit. My smurf (also capped) ought to be farming his little blue butt off, plus looking to upgrade gear.

But ... now you almost have to add a 10k+ elixir to your lep to posssssssibly get a bit of profit, it's become kind of a grind.

I've bought 2 plat chests and enjoyed having them, but the great green greasy goblin goo event has put me right off.

I head to Arlor to escape the real world, not be reminded about paying bills lol.

I wants my fun and fantasy back.

ain't got no how whatchamacallit (kurt cobain)

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Kalizzaa,

Almost Everyone has expressed there discerning voices, including me vociferously, let's see what STS delivers in the upcoming event.

What I would like to say is that I hope you don't leave in the foreseeable future, it is your guides that has inspired me to play this game, your very own solo elite guides help everyone with tactics and knowledge, I am a tank and I refer to your guides for strategy on elites and how to deal with mobs and bosses, which I discuss with my band of hapless merrymen

Your an integral part of this community and it will def be a sad time if you ever called it a day. Also your rap skills will be missed. LOLeth!

P.S The thing where you have to combo luck lix + lepre to have a 'chance' at decent loot, just sux.
    Last edited by Waheedski; 06-11-2014 at 08:59 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Waheedski For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

^This +5m

Let it also be noted that there was no contest run on the forums for a Nightshade egg like there has been for every event up till this point to the public so that everyone had a chance no matter what.
    Lvl 46 Mage - Sorcerie|Lvl 46 Rogue - Noxbolt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by falmear View Post
    There is many more problems with this event system in my opinion then what is only achievable by the top ~1% of players. However I feel like the train is on the tracks and moving in a certain direction. There is no changing which way we are going, you can only get off if you want. I'm sure we will see some refinements but basically this is how it is so don't really expect too much to change.
    +1 this. It seems STS is locked into the energy system especially with how it ties into the event system and the new client. I'll reserve judgement till the next event, but I don't see how the changes can be effective and encompassing of the problems that have been discussed in many threads