Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: New gold vanities - make it tradeable?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Default New gold vanities - make it tradeable?

As suggested by Falmear before, I think it will be more effective as a gold sink if STG replaces it with a new vanity every X months, so it will become more desirable.

And I think, in addition to the limited time aspect, why don't just make the vanity tradeable? With current condition, only the super rich people ( probably 200m+ in hand) will buy these vanities. Others won't even think about it since 10m will just disappear like that.

But if we make it tradeable, merchers (or hoarders, I should say), probably will buy some and hope to resell it for profit in the future (although I doubt the price will rise a lot since 10m is realistically insane).

Even more, some middle-rich guys who like the vanity but don't want to flush 10m down the toilet, can buy and wear it, and probably resell it for profit in the far future or just resell it for less than 10m if he needs fast gold. At least he only lose a bit.

And that will make a very effective gold sink.

So, what are your thoughts?

Disclaimer: I am a mercher, but my sole purpose for this thread is because I don't see current method as an effective gold sink.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to basketholic209 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts

It's quite effective as it is. Just wish it would cost more like 50-100m and it looked more epic with golden lights and such. This method there is no way of the gold to come back which was the point. If you want it, gold needs to sink never to resurface agree with more of these styles coming every now and then, but untradable makes these things a sink to only those very wealthy or something for the rest of us to strive towards rather than marching and inflating Arcane / mythic items.

100m for a sexy goddess vanity that spills out blue orbs. Who wouldn't save towards that!!
    Last edited by Kakashis; 06-04-2014 at 02:08 PM.
    IGN: Kakashi <Deviant Misfits> - We run PVE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

i think if its tradeable it just causes the same problem of moving money around but not really eliminating it. A good gold sink has to remove the gold from the economy completely. It doesn't matter if only the super rich buy this vanity because that is still another 10 mil eliminated from the economy. The source doesn't matter as long as that gold is no longer circulating. However, you do bring up the valid point of desirability. What happens when all the rich people buy the vanity and no one else wants to spend the gold for it?

This type of untradable vanity gold sink will only work if there is a constant and steady emergence of a new upper class. However, this can only be possible if everyone has a equal chance at excess wealth. Given that the game does indeed favor plat spenders, long term wealth generally only favors the same heavy spenders and the few savvy merchers. From my perspective, the demand curve for the vanity will saturate much faster than the supply of would be buyers.

At that point, when demand has been satisfied, STS should introduce a new gold sink, either a consumable or another untradeable item. Otherwise, the market will inflate again. (this is assuming a stable game population of course)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    322 Posts

NO!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    i think if its tradeable it just causes the same problem of moving money around but not really eliminating it. A good gold sink has to remove the gold from the economy completely. It doesn't matter if only the super rich buy this vanity because that is still another 10 mil eliminated from the economy. The source doesn't matter as long as that gold is no longer circulating. However, you do bring up the valid point of desirability. What happens when all the rich people buy the vanity and no one else wants to spend the gold for it?

This type of untradable vanity gold sink will only work if there is a constant and steady emergence of a new upper class. However, this can only be possible if everyone has a equal chance at excess wealth. Given that the game does indeed favor plat spenders, long term wealth generally only favors the same heavy spenders and the few savvy merchers. From my perspective, the demand curve for the vanity will saturate much faster than the supply of would be buyers.

At that point, when demand has been satisfied, STS should introduce a new gold sink, either a consumable or another untradeable item. Otherwise, the market will inflate again. (this is assuming a stable game population of course)
    Hmm, could you elaborate about "moving money around but not really eliminating it"? I'm pretty sure the 10m gold is removed from the economy completely, because for every vanity out there, 10m gold is paid to the NPC.

About someone buying it second-hand, it doesn't matter because the first 10m gold has already gone.

For example:
    - A has 11m gold.
    - B has only 9m gold.
    - There are 20m gold circulating between the 2 players.
    - A and B likes the vanity very much.
    - A decides to buy it and now only has 1m gold.
    - 10m gold has disappeared from the economy. POOF!
    - After 10 days, A suddenly needs money to buy something fast, so he sells it to B for only 8m.
    - Now A has 9m gold and B has 1m gold.
    - Still 10m is already gone from the economy.

This type of example would never happen if it is untradeable, because A in the first place will never buy it since it will only left him with 1m gold and no backup plan for fast gold, thus we have a potential loss of 10m gold sink.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kakashis View Post
    It's quite effective as it is. Just wish it would cost more like 50-100m and it looked more epic with golden lights and such. This method there is no way of the gold to come back which was the point. If you want it, gold needs to sink never to resurface agree with more of these styles coming every now and then, but untradable makes these things a sink to only those very wealthy or something for the rest of us to strive towards rather than marching and inflating Arcane / mythic items.

100m for a sexy goddess vanity that spills out blue orbs. Who wouldn't save towards that!!
    You could refer to my post above for my reply

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by matanofx View Post
    NO!
    And why would that be?

9.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #8
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

No plans to make it tradeable.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Samhayne For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    322 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by basketholic209 View Post
    And why would that be?

It costs 10m, the price is 10m, the idea is to get RID of the gold, make it vanish, give it back to dear STG

The only way to fix a gold sink is lessen the amount of gold hoarded up in this game, making it tradeable would just make the gold switch from 1 hand to the next in a vicious cycle of gold sinkness. I know you want to merch e'm but youll just have to pick any other item in this game to merch.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to matanofx For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post

I dont understand a thing u just said, they make it tradable or not.. The 10m is completely eliminating from system..

Its a very effective gold sink, we are talking in billions here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by matanofx View Post
    It costs 10m, the price is 10m, the idea is to get RID of the gold, make it vanish, give it back to dear STG

The only way to fix a gold sink is lessen the amount of gold hoarded up in this game, making it tradeable would just make the gold switch from 1 hand to the next in a vicious cycle of gold sinkness. I know you want to merch e'm but youll just have to pick any other item in this game to merch.
    Just like I said in my previous post, tradeable or not, 10m will still be disappeared from the economy. Please refer to my previous post for a clear example

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

sorry got lost in my train of thought and was thinking of something else, saw a major dumb logic hole in my initial comment. Please disregard. for some reason i forgot the 10 mil initial purchase when I was reasoning it all out. my bad, brain fart lol.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpy For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts

As suggested by Falmear before, I think it will be more effective as a gold sink if STG replaces it with a new vanity every X months, so it will become more desirable.

And I think, in addition to the limited time aspect, why don't just make the vanity tradeable? With current condition, only the super rich people ( probably 200m+ in hand) will buy these vanities. Others won't even think about it since 10m will just disappear like that.

But if we make it tradeable, merchers (or hoarders, I should say), probably will buy some and hope to resell it for profit in the future (although I doubt the price will rise a lot since 10m is realistically insane).

Even more, some middle-rich guys who like the vanity but don't want to flush 10m down the toilet, can buy and wear it, and probably resell it for profit in the far future or just resell it for less than 10m if he needs fast gold. At least he only lose a bit.

And that will make a very effective gold sink.

So, what are your thoughts?

Disclaimer: I am a mercher, but my sole purpose for this thread is because I don't see current method as an effective gold sink.

Nope never tradeable is the right choice, if u want it cough up the 10 mil
    it does matter where the gold comes from, if someone with 200m buys it they should never be able 2 recoup their 10 mil ....
    the reason is because it is people with that much or more that are currently inflating the prices on everything.

Unfortunately i do not think a 10 million gold sink is nearly enough to fix the inflation problem, that is a drop in the bucket to the people who are causing all this inflation.
    the in game economy is broken and it will stay that way regardless
    Retired Officer
    Chivalrous Union
    AARRGGGGGG/ARCHANIST

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    322 Posts

Lets say this vanity becomes discontinued, and is tradeable...

Ill hoard up like 6-7 sets for fun and later resell, people who didnt have a chance to buy it will hoard gold later and buy it from me for... 20m a piece and boom! more goldsinkness i just doubled my 70m to 140m

Just a theory for you to think about, STG thought about it before and thats why it is not tradeable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Just like I said in my previous post, tradeable or not, 10m will still be disappeared from the economy. Please refer to my previous post for a clear example

Hers an example.

Rich guy A buys the vanity.

Poor guy B can't afford it.

It's discontinued.

Rich guy A sells it to no longer poor guy B some time later for 15m.

Now, rich guy A just made 5m. There is less gold in the economy, but rich guy A now has a greater percentage of the overall gold.

This is just an example. We saw the exact same thing happen in Dark Legends as another example.

This is the problem gold sinks try to address. To narrow the widening gap between the rich and the poor. It shouldn't be used as an investment for rich players to make gold from. There are plenty of those already.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rare For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rare View Post
    Hers an example.

It's discontinued.

Now, rich guy A just made 5m. There is less gold in the economy, but rich guy A now has a greater percentage of the overall gold.

This is just an example. We saw the exact same thing happen in Dark Legends as another example.

This is the problem gold sinks try to address. To narrow the widening gap between the rich and the poor. It shouldn't be used as an investment for rich players to make gold from. There are plenty of those already.
    Hmm okay, now that makes sense, in another way

Because before, I was only thinking about the most effective gold sink, without considering the gap between the rich and the poor.

Thanks for enlightening me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts

I like its "exclusivity" purpose other than it being gold sink, making it tradeable will attract more gold to AL thus possibly making arcane amulet 150m <- laughable price to me anyway
    Kronos Divine Guild Development PICS HERE -- PVP VIDS HERE AL Retiree

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts

Hers an example.

It's discontinued.

Genius :thumbup:

How about making them tradeable and never making them discontinued? That will keep price of vanity less than its original price and flush all waste gold from system... Am sure people will be rdy to sell their vanity for 5-6m ( 3-4m for ap)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Hers an example.

It's discontinued.

Out of curiousity, what happened in Dark Legends and what is the impact?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by epicrrr View Post
    I like its "exclusivity" purpose other than it being gold sink, making it tradeable will attract more gold to AL thus possibly making arcane amulet 150m <- laughable price to me anyway
    How exactly will it attract more gold to AL?