Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with LVL 20 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Lightbulb Help with LVL 20 Mage

Hey PL Forums!

Im new to forums and PVP so cut me a little slack if I do/say something wrong. But please do criticise me! It helps =D
    I wanted some help with a lvl 20 str mage. I have read the guides, and their comments and tried a few different builds but I'd still like some help.

Before you post comments about how tank mages are noob, or require no skill, let me say something: I KNOW!
    I agree it requires less or practically no skill and I have been called noob many times, but I simply dont care. Its fun.
    Even the long and tedious fights are interesting for me. SO please refrain from comments like this.

Now onto the matter at hand:

GEAR and STATS
    62 Str then rest Int

I currently own the L20 Bear 4-Piece Plat Pack, L20 Rhino 3-Piece Plat Pack, Alchemists L5, Purp Toy L20 and the Fine crystal ring of life L10 (3 m/s one)
    I am planning to buy a Purp Paw L20 as well

BUILD
    The build I am currently using is:
    6 Light
    6 Heal
    4 Buff
    1 Fire
    1 Frostbite
    1 Ice Storm

I like this build, but I get called noob all the time because I am a tank mage, with 6 heal and I kite.
    I am open to trial new builds so please tell me some good builds XD

COMBOS
    Since I tank mage, I try to play the mana game. Conserve mana and health till buff runs out and then use Hammer to destroy.
    I guess thats the crux of my style. I would really appreciate some advice on my combos, what I can change and what Im doing okay.

Rhinos - Using sword, I tank damage while keeping them away from me use fire/ices. I only use light sparingly to waste their mana. As soon as they run out, I pull out hammer and go ham on them.
    Birds - I use sword so I can tank their nukes and ice to make sure they dont kite. When buffed I generally hold back on heal i.e. when they root I dont heal out of it. I use frost light fire ice and heal after their nuke.
    Bears - Under 18, I just stay up close and just use sweet combo: ice fire light frost heal. If they talon, I generally use hammer, and kite a little when low. If forg then sword.
    Bears - 18 and above I have some troubles with. My strat is just tank and kite. I need help with this.
    Fox - Same as bear 18 and above. I try to kite as much as possible to avoid their dash and nuke. They have high dodge, and coupled with the tank mages low hit, it becomes hard.
    Mage (Dex/Int) - Using sword, I tank damage while conserving mana i.e. use your skills less. As soon as they run out, I pull out hammer and go ham on them.
    Mage (Str/Int) - These are long fights. Normally I aim to do the same, tank damage and let them waste their mana. But I get bored sometimes. Id like help with these as well.

SOOO this is what my tank mage is.
    This thread has turned into a half guide I guess, with builds and strats and whatnot. But I mainly tell these so that the lovely forumers can help me out with ease.

Thanks in advance to those that do reply and assist me. It is very much appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Procness For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

First of all, not trying to deeply criticise here, but 5 Heal is enough. And secondly, tank mage really doesn't need a guide, but the way you right is good. Sorry if the first guide isn't as lucky on feedback, man.
    Last edited by The Voices; 06-13-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

@The Voices as a level 20 mager myself I can tell you you are wrong. Str doesn't give much heal.

I would also change that ice storm to drain, as sometimes someone lies to you and you need the heal. Also, why on earth would you use ice storm if you kite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I AM..... Depury | Hammerologist | Mydadsapizza | Lvlbearz | Lvlbatti | Lvlflight | Dished | Rhinotacular | Truesome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Depury View Post
    @The Voices as a level 20 mager myself I can tell you you are wrong. Str doesn't give much heal.

I would also change that ice storm to drain, as sometimes someone lies to you and you need the heal. Also, why on earth would you use ice storm if you kite?

Drain would be good to use, but I fear that I might miss it quite often as my hit % is around 80-85. I use ice storm to freeze them if I'm trying to run away or after my frost fire combo to keep them at the same spot and auto.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Drain seems like a good idea, but when I previously tried it, I was missing alot due to my already low hit %.
    I use Icestorm so i can freeze them after my frost fire combo and use auto. I can also use it to freeze them when they are close, run, then use frost to freeze again.

What build could you suggest that includes drain, ill give it a shot.

Los Angeles, Korea. umm wait that seems a little off
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts

it's not worth getting drain. you won't much damage since youre most str. i'd rather use it on icestorm or more heal

FONDLING, CARESSED, GROPED, BUSTING, JIGGLING, CRUELAID

BOO!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Maybe I could switch to 5 buff 5 heal? Would that be more effective? Or lower lightning to increase points on buff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts

Definitely need to keep 6 light because that's what basically deals damage with it's 3sec cool down

BOO!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Procness View Post
    Maybe I could switch to 5 buff 5 heal? Would that be more effective? Or lower lightning to increase points on buff?

The 6 heal is essential because you already have more than enough armor to tank. Now you need heal to keep up with your hp ups and downs.

I AM..... Depury | Hammerologist | Mydadsapizza | Lvlbearz | Lvlbatti | Lvlflight | Dished | Rhinotacular | Truesome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Any build suggestions guys?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

6 armor buff, 5 heal, 4 light, 3 fire, 1 frost. alternatively you can use 2 light/5 fire if you're more kite oriented. imo, just keep practicing til you can master 10m range on fire and rock the 4 light. the debuff on light stacks like three times i believe? (maybe four?), you can cast it every 3 seconds, and the dmg is pretty damn good. also, i'd ditch all weapons and other than paw and throw on alch during mage duels or if the duel is going on longer than it should and you need some mana regen. and if you have enough plat then keep buying the rhino packs until you have a full guru set (not the armor that is black). i feel like having a full guru set is integral to the 20-22 str mage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts

In my opinion I think 6 lightning is a must. It gives you the 3 sec cool down skill and gives debuffs in arm and hit and damage
    This is what I use for my tank support
    6 heal
    5 bov
    6 light
    1 ice
    1 fire

Works great in FFAs and 1v1
    Like flitz said, you should get guru. For me guru arm isn't a must but guru helm is a must
    Use enough for plat pack and rest on int (int so you can use the 3m/s and 1 h/s 2damage ring)

BOO!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rescind View Post
    In my opinion I think 6 lightning is a must. It gives you the 3 sec cool down skill and gives debuffs in arm and hit and damage
    This is what I use for my tank support
    6 heal
    5 bov
    6 light
    1 ice
    1 fire

Works great in FFAs and 1v1
    Like flitz said, you should get guru. For me guru arm isn't a must but guru helm is a must
    Use enough for plat pack and rest on int (int so you can use the 3m/s and 1 h/s 2damage ring)
    6 light is fantastic but i don't think you'd have much success with an 8m fire for kiting. you're never going to be able to tank a l20-22 bear who has the slightest idea of what he's doing. i think 10m fire is the bare minimum you can go with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If I remember correctly I have the Guru Helm and Hammer. Id rather not spend 30 plat just for the armour.
    @Rescind I used to use that build, but decided I wanted a bit more damage.
    @Flitz I could try that build. It seems like it would work on bears and foxes. And the other classes I could focus of mana drain.

Yeah I switch between Alch and my normal armour quite a bit to make sure I always have enough mana.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flitz View Post
    6 armor buff, 5 heal, 4 light, 3 fire, 1 frost. alternatively you can use 2 light/5 fire if you're more kite oriented. imo, just keep practicing til you can master 10m range on fire and rock the 4 light. the debuff on light stacks like three times i believe? (maybe four?), you can cast it every 3 seconds, and the dmg is pretty damn good. also, i'd ditch all weapons and other than paw and throw on alch during mage duels or if the duel is going on longer than it should and you need some mana regen. and if you have enough plat then keep buying the rhino packs until you have a full guru set (not the armor that is black). i feel like having a full guru set is integral to the 20-22 str mage.
    This doesn't remotely make sense, and let me tell you why. Mages use 6 light for the armor debuff you get at level 6, not for damage. The 4 light doesn't give nearly ad much of a debuff.

3 fire is useless in tanks because you're not kiting! Use 1 fire and put the 2 extra points into light.

6 bov is redundant in this case because you already have enough armor to tank. Add a point to drain as you don't have it and add a point to heal to keep your hp up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

3 fire is useless in tanks because you're not kiting!
    ......and this is where i stopped reading.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flitz View Post
    ......and this is where i stopped reading.
    Do you not understand the concept of tank? I'll pvp you with my build and you use yours and we'll see who wins.

Spoiler: I'll win

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Kiting is very effective for bears. Using the 3 fire build I am easily able to tank and kite bears, even 22 bears. However I find trouble with other tank mages, who use a more nukey build with drain and 6 light etc.
    @Depury Could you give me a build to use and a strat to take on other tank mages? Ill try it and compare the results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts

The point of your Mage is to tank.. With that said, you should focus on survivability. And also kiting with 1 fire is viable. Although it doesn't say knockback on the description, there is knockback on1 fire

BOO!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So would this build be viable: 6 Heal, 6 Light, 4 BOM, 1 Fire, 1 Frost, 1 Drain?
    And what would my order be? I havent used drain before so I dont know timings/range/delay etc.