Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Spacetime support - handling scams/loss of items

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    I hope "nailed" wasn't directed towards the sister...
    And you call me a dirty birdy? Smh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crowsfoot View Post
    And you call me a dirty birdy? Smh
    I don't think I've ever called you that! Although, it is your fault for making an ambiguity error and letting my mind wander.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I got banned , and i dont know why they banned me... i dont do anything weird or break rules , but they banned me ...

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    150 Posts

Lol has this turned into english class? stay on topic please

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk,Ign Vploit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

i agree with lim"s situation. 100m just doesnt drop from the sky. besides, that wasnt scamming. the 1 chance per ip is better than 1 chance per character as it could be exploited.
    From mortal hope springs immortal power
    toons: goebejake rogue, saltspear mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

If sts support investigated all "scams" to decide whether to give the person's items back, the wait time for any and all support would increase from 1-3 days to 3-6 months. How many people would claim to have been scammed in hopes the support team will give them free stuff? Anyone who has ever been an officer or gm in a guild knows how many ridiculous stories are told by people hoping to get handouts. If sts said "ok we'll give people's stuff back when scammed" they would be innundated with this stuff and not be able to help those who actually need it.

Now, the case where someone gets banned when they have an overly valuable item in their posession that belongs to someone else, this is totally different. When that person is banned, the company should already have all that person's data on hand.

If the owner of that overly valuable item then contacts them and requests it back, this should be granted. It is not the lender's fault the other person was banned. There is no scam involved, and the ownership of something like that should be easy to verify if the lender has the transfer date. I can't imagine this situation would be something to happen more than once in a blue moon, so would not be at all draining on the resources of support. It would also not set the unwanted precedent of returning scammed goods, since it is a totally different scenereo.

That being said, if you know someone well enough to be loaning them something worth a year's savings, you should know them well enough to be aware if they are participating in nefarious activities. I imagine this is the company's perspective, and likely an additional attempt at deterring tos violators. If they make it so loaning to bannable people is an even higher risk, those people will have a harder time succeeding in their whatevers. I would agree with this except that we continue to see certain people making a sport out of getting others banned to eliminate their "competition". The fact that this behaviour is catered to results in good people like Lim getting punished as collateral damage, which is just wrong.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Sts can see what you had, have

For God's SAKE! lvl 15 armor and helm (rare) for tank
    The guy who scored 4m 20s 420ms in Elite

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

@Serancha If the Vindication of ToS > Player's happiness, then why does support even reply to scam reports? Why do they even bother pasting the message? They shouldn't even be dealing with scams and just continue refunding accidental plat purchases or whatever. Isn't the support supposed to be bending ToS a little bit and helping players in special circumstances? Well that is how it is in other mmos like WoW and by doing so I haven't seen WoW crash. Sts makes thousands of $ a day, yet they cannot hire around two or three support representatives dedicated to solely handling scam cases?

Quote Originally Posted by Crowsfoot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraze View Post
    Perhaps one should look up the difference between synthesize and summarize while they are in the online dictionary.
    In academic writing:

A synthesis is a brief listing of the main points in a paragraph format.

A summary is a brief listing of the main ideas ​in a paragraph format.
    I did do a mixture of both actually.

@Kraze I know perfectly well what a Synthesis is.
    Last edited by Bless; 06-24-2014 at 07:40 PM.
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

I don't know the answer, Bless. I can see both sides and the reasons for making either decision. I do admin and tech support as part of my business, so know first hand that there is no way to make everyone happy. You need to make decisions and stick to them, and this usually goes over best if there is an explanation for those decisions stated publicly. Yes, there are exceptions to rules, and policies should be reviewed and amended as time goes by and things evolve.

My experience with STS support has been excellent. They are prompt, courteous and take care of issues well. I have never gotten a pasted response, but then I don't call them often. I would also not presume to ask sts to reimburse me if I loaned someone a mythic or arcane item and that person took off with it. (An example only. I have a strict no-loan policy)
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

10.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #30
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,907 Posts

Hi all,

Bless, I appreciate you taking the time to write us about this. Scamming is a terrible thing and can be really devastating, especially if you lose an item or items that you worked really hard or even paid real money for. Here is the difficulty with these situations: The trade and gifting functions, as we've mentioned, are meant for passing items to another character without the intent of receiving it back. For this reason, there is limited tracking that we can do once an item has been sent to another player. Support does all that they can to investigate each scam report, but sometimes it is just not possible for us to recover the item(s). I know that sometimes the copy and paste response can be frustrating. It can seem impersonal when you're dealing with a crisis, but you have to understand that we get tons of these reports every day. That is why we try our best to equip everyone with the tools to recognize and avoid scams.

I hope this helps clear some things up. Locking this one down.

Remiem
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com