Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Archer Skills and Equipment Guide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Is it wise to leave the heal and mana regen empty, especially for pvp?

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

These skills are too slow and not effective to utilize in pvp. You'll see when you go through matches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    These skills are too slow and not effective to utilize in pvp. You'll see when you go through matches.
    u still need it unless u only do 1v1s. in 5v5, lasting long matters
    Prettipaliboi= LVL50 full rift pally
    Prettiboiz= LVL50 full dex birdie
    Prettiguy= LVL50 bear tank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pretticlan View Post
    u still need it unless u only do 1v1s. in 5v5, lasting long matters
    I've never found much utility for meditation and restore even in 3v3 matches, but I haven't done too many 5v5s to say the same thing. Anyway, I should've emphasized that this build is primarily for a new player using an archer, strictly pve only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never found much utility for meditation and restore even in 3v3 matches, but I haven't done too many 5v5s to say the same thing. Anyway, I should've emphasized that this build is primarily for a new player using an archer, strictly pve only.
    nice picture guide btw ;]
    Prettipaliboi= LVL50 full rift pally
    Prettiboiz= LVL50 full dex birdie
    Prettiguy= LVL50 bear tank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very nice guide. I was looking for a bit of information on what skills are more useful than others. And I've found that and a lot more. Certainly not my first MMO, but it's nice to have something to help guide me through the basics of how to effectively play my role. I appreciate the hard work, keep it up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolRPGs View Post
    Very nice guide. I was looking for a bit of information on what skills are more useful than others. And I've found that and a lot more. Certainly not my first MMO, but it's nice to have something to help guide me through the basics of how to effectively play my role. I appreciate the hard work, keep it up!
    Thank you! I will continually update this guide as much as possible and add in new information with each major patch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Finally...a comprehensive guide on how-to-build a character and what the stats actually represent. It's good that you notes earlier the devs are soon to take a look at attribute skills and perhaps rework them into meaningful purpose instead of overstacking into one attribute.
    I already commented on that topic to another forum user.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WolfShaman View Post
    Finally...a comprehensive guide on how-to-build a character and what the stats actually represent. It's good that you notes earlier the devs are soon to take a look at attribute skills and perhaps rework them into meaningful purpose instead of overstacking into one attribute.
    I already commented on that topic to another forum user.
    Go to Ellie the Ench' in Forest Haven, and talk to the human... mysterious, isn't it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

When it comes to the Cruel Blast combo. Is it best to use this every single time once you have the ability to do so? I ask because sometimes you get in groups where they don't round up the mobs to AoE them down. The tank might blast them away, or their might not even be a tank and it's just mass chaos and everything is picking off mobs individually. I only ask because it would seem like a waste of Mana to use it if you were only attacking 1 mob (besides a boss). But I'm only 25 at the moment, it's possible that mobs might get a lot harder later on and it's in my best benefit then to use it each time. Currently I can burn one down in just a few seconds without the Cruel Blast combo, but I always use it when there are 2+ mobs near each other.

I also have a question about which stats have the highest priority. I am an all Dex bird at level 25. If I were to get, lets say 9 different bows. The difference in each being 1 Crit, 1 Dex, 1 Hit%, 1 DPS, 1 Armor, 1 has a 1 point higher low end damage, 1 has a 1 point higher high end damage, 1 Hp/s, 1 Mp/s. In what order is the stat most important? Cause I'll get armor sets where it's 10 Armor 3 Dex 1 Hit%, and another thats 10 Armor 2 Dex 2 Crit%, and sometimes they are so close that it's hard to make a choice. Obviously if I am going with a pure DD build then Hp/s and Mp/s aren't a big deal, but where do the rest stack in terms of which to go with?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

When it comes to the Cruel Blast combo. Is it best to use this every single time once you have the ability to do so? I ask because sometimes you get in groups where they don't round up the mobs to AoE them down. The tank might blast them away, or their might not even be a tank and it's just mass chaos and everything is picking off mobs individually. I only ask because it would seem like a waste of Mana to use it if you were only attacking 1 mob (besides a boss). But I'm only 25 at the moment, it's possible that mobs might get a lot harder later on and it's in my best benefit then to use it each time. Currently I can burn one down in just a few seconds without the Cruel Blast combo, but I always use it when there are 2+ mobs near each other.

I also have a question about which stats have the highest priority. I am an all Dex bird at level 25. If I were to get, lets say 9 different bows. The difference in each being 1 Crit, 1 Dex, 1 Hit%, 1 DPS, 1 Armor, 1 has a 1 point higher low end damage, 1 has a 1 point higher high end damage, 1 Hp/s, 1 Mp/s. In what order is the stat most important? Cause I'll get armor sets where it's 10 Armor 3 Dex 1 Hit%, and another thats 10 Armor 2 Dex 2 Crit%, and sometimes they are so close that it's hard to make a choice. Obviously if I am going with a pure DD build then Hp/s and Mp/s aren't a big deal, but where do the rest stack in terms of which to go with?
    As you level and get richer, spending for mana potions won't be a big deal. It's up to your discretion as to how you want to use Cruel Blast. I forgot to mention how exactly Cruel Blast works - it's essentially a Blast Shot + normal attack (with your enemy debuffed from Shattered Scream) all at the same time. Is it worth it to spend on a single enemy? If you have the money to do so, then do as you wish, but take into consideration the cool-down time for those skills to be used again (you wouldn't want to run into a mob of enemies after you used those skills and still be waiting for your skills to be available). Personally, I only use Cruel Blast against one enemy if the enemy is a big guy (like those big green demons with lots of health).

Here's how I rate the importance of weapon stats. Keep in mind I am aimed to making my character as strong as possible, which means I want to eliminate enemies quickly.

1. Damage/DPS - Interchangeable because they are nearly equivalent. If damage is about the same, look at DPS. DPS is directly derived from weapon speed and damage (see here for calculation example). DPS matters more on bosses because you spend more time attacking bosses, whereas it may take 1-2 seconds to kill a normal enemy.
    2. Crit - Second most important weapon stat as a bird. You have a high chance to critically hit an enemy - or effectively double your damage output (see here to examine the importance of crits)
    3. Armor, H/s, M/s - Improves survival, saves money on pots
    5. Hit% - Important in the beginning, but once you reach a hit% of 100, anything beyond that is meaningless since hit% is capped.
    6. Dex/Str/Int - Non-important if a weapon increases Dex, because it's already shown in damage/DPS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

One thing I notice sometimes is the Cruel Blast combo not working on the bigger guys. Maybe I wasn't close enough some of the times, but I swear that every time I try to do the Cruel Blast combo on big enemies that it just doesn't work, as in give me the big "Combo" text. I never have a problem doing it on normal mobs. Are some enemies resistant to this combo? Or am I just missing it an not realizing?

Also, about Heavy Crossbows. I've yet to run into one that has even close to as much DPS as normal bows. Why is that? The only reason I could see using it would be if you were only going to get off 1 shot before the mob dies because they have higher damage per shot. Do they get better than normal bows? Or is there something I am not understanding?
    Last edited by OldSchoolRPGs; 01-17-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

One thing I notice sometimes is the Cruel Blast combo not working on the bigger guys. Maybe I wasn't close enough some of the times, but I swear that every time I try to do the Cruel Blast combo on big enemies that it just doesn't work, as in give me the big "Combo" text. I never have a problem doing it on normal mobs. Are some enemies resistant to this combo? Or am I just missing it an not realizing?

Also, about Heavy Crossbows. I've yet to run into one that has even close to as much DPS as normal bows. Why is that? The only reason I could see using it would be if you were only going to get off 1 shot before the mob dies because they have higher damage per shot. Do they get better than normal bows? Or is there something I am not understanding?
    Cruel Blast, from what I've seen, works on every single enemy in game. If there's an enemy that you can't seem to get the combo on, let me know which enemy it is and which map you're in so I can attempt to duplicate your results.

Heavy xbows have huge damage and low DPS for a reason. For example, let's say there's a xbow with 140-165 damage and DPS of 100. Let's say an enemy has 140 health. Using a heavy xbow, you'll automatically kill it in one shot, so need for DPS.

Now let's say you have a normal bow with 100-125 damage and DPS of 140, and an enemy has 140 health. This bow is weaker than the xbow of 140-165 damage, but since it has a DPS of 140, you're pretty much guaranteed to kill it in one second.

Now let's say you are using the bow and the xbow against a boss with a lot of health, and it'll take approximately 30 seconds to kill it. Which has a better damage output?
    Xbow Damage 140-165, DPS of 100: 100x30sec= 3,000 damage
    Bow Damage 100-125, DPS of 140: 140x30sec= 4,200 damage

So the bow, with a low damage and high DPS, beats the xbow in a long, extended fight.

The rule of thumb I follow is that DPS matters more during boss fights, while damage matters more during normal enemy mobs.

Hope this somehow clears up the difference and helps you choose between damage or DPS, because they're both important

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha you're the man Psyiologic! I appreciate all the help!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Xbow Damage 140-165, DPS of 100: 100x30sec= 3,000 damage
    Bow Damage 100-125, DPS of 140: 140x30sec= 4,200 damage

So the bow, with a low damage and high DPS, beats the xbow in a long, extended fight.
    Unless the mob has armor.

The dps only counts if the hit causes damage. For mobs with armor greater than what dmg you rolled, you get the big goose egg, so its like a miss.

Vs armor of 100 (I guessed at the speeds to approximate your example of 100dps slow v 140 dps fast):

140-165 speed 1.5 is 40 to 65 realized per hit so avg 52.5 x 21.4 hits in 30 secs = 1123.5 dmg in encounter

100-125 speed 0.8 is 0 to 25 realized per hit so avg 12.5 x 37.5 hits in 30 secs= 468.75 dmg in encounter

Ya, its extreme example, but as the armor becomes a larger percent of the per hit damage, dps becomes more & more misleading since it's calculated against armor zero & thus favors the speed.

Damag
    Xymorg --- Xymian --- Xymli

A E O
    Proud owner of 20 charm points! /arcane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xymorg View Post
    Unless the mob has armor.

The dps only counts if the hit causes damage. For mobs with armor greater than what dmg you rolled, you get the big goose egg, so its like a miss.

Vs armor of 100 (I guessed at the speeds to approximate your example of 100dps slow v 140 dps fast):

140-165 speed 1.5 is 40 to 65 realized per hit so avg 52.5 x 21.4 hits in 30 secs = 1123.5 dmg in encounter

100-125 speed 0.8 is 0 to 25 realized per hit so avg 12.5 x 37.5 hits in 30 secs= 468.75 dmg in encounter

Ya, its extreme example, but as the armor becomes a larger percent of the per hit damage, dps becomes more & more misleading since it's calculated against armor zero & thus favors the speed.

Damag
    I'm aware of the existence of variable enemy armor, and DPS actually isn't calculated against an armor of zero because it is a function of both damage and weapon speed. Since damage is affected by variable enemy armor, DPS will follow in accordance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow dude, you are hard core!

I missed that posts of yours & thanks, there's a lot of good content there.

I still think dmg > dps for the vast majority of the game both from the math and from experience, but it's fine if you disagree. I mean no disrespect and give you and your guides full props.

Just for discussion sake, did i get something wrong in the math? Does the dps 140 (100-125 speed 0.8) not do less than half as much damage over 30 second than the dps 100 (140-165 speed 1.5) against armor of 100?
    Xymorg --- Xymian --- Xymli

A E O
    Proud owner of 20 charm points! /arcane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Also, the hard hitters add more damage to the skill I think? Conformation needed.