Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guide to Being a Successful Mage in CTF

Are you a stalker? Awesomeness: ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alhuntrazeck View Post
    A mage should never try to be a rogue. You're a mage. Act like one. Don't use 3 attack skills and sacrifice curse and heal because those are essential parts of a mage's skill build, in my opinion.
    Thanks for the guide, but these last comments bothered me.
    My twink level 16 mage has 3 attack skills and shield.
    Lightning,fireball,ice and shiled.

My gears were brutality and Assault equipments, and my pet is singe

I have 2500 health (very high health for this level) and armor of 575 (high armor for mage in this level, thanks to the new 'ancient' gears) so I didn't bothered for heals and goes in all out attack.
    I find it very good at 1v1 against warriors and rogues a like. Yes I do die a lot but, the ratio would be 3-5 kills before dying.

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kinzmet View Post
    Thanks for the guide, but these last comments bothered me.
    My twink level 16 mage has 3 attack skills and shield.
    Lightning,fireball,ice and shiled.

My gears were brutality and Assault equipments, and my pet is singe

I have 2500 health (very high health for this level) and armor of 575 (high armor for mage in this level, thanks to the new 'ancient' gears) so I didn't bothered for heals and goes in all out attack.
    I find it very good at 1v1 against warriors and rogues a like. Yes I do die a lot but, the ratio would be 3-5 kills before dying.
    Thank you for the post,

I wrote that bit to dissuade the 3 attack skill mages running around PvP this season, and the main reason is - you're aiming to do damage with that build, aiming to ks more than the rogue itself which is fine in FFAs but not how clashes are meant to be played IMO. Besides, no heal = no mana for the rogue = team dead because a disabled rogue is a disabled team. I play a rogue and I do know the frustrations of having to run after the 2 mana packs which are usually taken by flaggers. However this guide isn't meant to dictate how you play, its the build I find most effective.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    259 Posts

A good mage for me is someone who knows how to support not just kill. This guy helps other mages to learn the importance of support class no just to kill other class.
    Other guides that teach how to kills is good but having to learn to become a support type is better.
    What would you do with your 3attack skills when you die like a paper tank.

Good guide.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cero For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

Hey forumers,

I have created this guide to help newer and older mages play CTF better. Keep in mind, I will be stating my own views and thus this might be controversial. Hence, I request posters to remain cordial and not resort to flaming. Constructive criticism and opinions are welcome.

I have to first pose a question to the mage community:

In PvE, the question is easily answered; the mage is used for dealing out massive AoE damage, holding mobs in check by stunning, panicking, freezing, rooting them.

PvP is a tiny bit more complicated.

First we must look at the mage class’s specifics.

They have:

• Low HP; usually lower than rogues’ and tanks’.
    • Decent damage; higher than tanks, lower than rogues’. Bear in mind, mages usually have higher stat page damage, but a rogues’ actual damage is way higher.
    • Great CC (crowd control): In PvP and PvE, mages shine at hitting many targets with AoE damage. Rogues and Warriors also use CC but at a much less extent.
    • Stuns: All classes in AL have stuns, but mages have the best ones (Fireball alone is a 100% guaranteed stun, while rogues’ bow stuns are about a 70, and warriors’ Skyward Smash and Axe Throw are 25% each.)
    • Mana Healing: The only class in AL who can heal mana.

To become a good mage in PvP, I first analyzed the above and decided how to make the best out of all of them. So below is my guide which contains all my experience of 2 seasons of PvP, 1 and a half as a non-mythic mage.

-~-

Type A: CTF – Free For All (FFA)

A mage in FFA is much less effective than a rogue; a rogue specializes in single target damage, which is what FFA is all about – singling out targets and killing them and moving on to the next. Since this is what makes up the majority of CTF, let’s get right to the heart of the matter.

I. The BUILD(S)

FFA as a rogue or warrior is fairly simple; you have one build you can stick to. For mages, its more complicated. For fighting different classes, you need different builds.

For general FFA, this is my build:

Fireball: 4/5, all except Scorch
    Lightning: 3/5, Empowered Bolt and Positive Surge upgrades
    Shield: 4/5, all except Displacement Wave
    Heal: 2/5, Empower upgrade.

You need to use different fighting strategies for each class.

If you see a rogue, charge shield, charge fireball (make it hit before the charged bow hits you if possible) and quickly follow up by lightning. Charge fire and charge lightning, spamming auto attack in between. Heal when HP's low. If you have a stun pet, stunlock the rogue. This should be enough. If you cannot kill the rogue, visit this link: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...-Rogue-a-Guide!.

For a warrior, charge fire and lightning. Stunlocking is helpful, so long as the warrior doesn't start with Juggernaut (you'll know by the brief pot sign over his head, and the fact that your FB doesn't stun him). Warrior vs mage fights are difficult, the odds are stacked heavily against you; but lucky crits can win.

For a mage, do the same thing as for rogue.

II. Pets

Favorites of mine are Samael, Slag, Grimm, Orion, Malison, Ribbit.

Type B: Clashes

When you FFA, you'll probably get the enemy RG'd and ready to gang-bang your butt - how could you kill them when they were peacefully flagging?! You naughty mage, you!

Get your team ready. An optimum team is 2 warriors, 2 rogues and 1 mage (you). Another good one is 2 warriors, 2 mages and 1 rogue.

A clash is where mages truly shine. With our vast CC and stunning skills, we can amass large amounts of kills and keep the other team literally stunned.

For clashes, we must go back to what a mage does. In my opinion, the role of a mage in a clash is IMMOBILIZING THE OPPONENTS.

What does this mean? Simple. Immobilizing the opponents means to not allow them to attack effectively. This can be achieved by the following skill build:

Fireball: 4/5, all except Scorch
    Curse: 5/5
    Shield: 4/5, all except Displacement Wave
    Heal: 2/5, Empower upgrade.

As you can see, the above build utilizes this requirement to the utmost. With this build a mage can:

1. Lower the other team's attacking - Curse handles this. A team cursed is a handicapped team. Mages cannot drop clock or use skills like ice or, for that matter, spam attack skills; rogues cannot use nox or spam combos like no tomorrow; the only immune class is the warrior, though their magma proc can severely reflect damage on themselves.

2. Stuns: Charged fireball potentially stuns all 5 opponents, thus enabling your team to move forward and attack while the other team is stunned.

3. Stay Alive: Charged shield grants 2 seconds invulnerability and can absorb vast amounts of damage - it is the most essential skill in a clash.

4. Heal mana: Another of the most important benefits. Charged heal heals the rogues' mana and this is vital; because a team with a rogue who cannot attack is, again, a handicapped team.

Once I started playing with this build, I remained unsatisfied. I was still dying much too often and not inflicting enough damage with my 1 attack skill. And that's when I thought of something else.

A high HP build.

This can easily be achieved by buying a Magma Totem of Potency, Ancient Druidic helm & armor (or mythic helm & armor if you have them), and a Tarlok Heart of Brutality. You can use at least one strength gem on at least 1 of these; or a better option is the new Health shard which adds 54 HP.

The Magma Totem is amazing. With one attack skill alone (Fireball), there's no way you can deal out enough damage with gun - and that's where Magma's killer DPS factors in. Since in clashes with the above build you end up spamming your auto attack, what better way to do it than with a staff? Also if you're worried about curse's damage reflection, your high HP will guarantee you won't die because of your weapon's attacks.

While in a clash, monitor your rogues' mana and HP bars. Use heal when your HP falls below 40% or when a rogue is out of mana; also watch the rogue's HP. Focus on the damage classes of the opposing team and ignore the tanks if possible.

That brings us to the end of this guide. Using this, you should become a successful mage in PvP while also killing a lot.

I'll sum up with my golden rule of PvPing:

A mage should never try to be a rogue. You're a mage. Act like one. Don't use 3 attack skills and sacrifice curse and heal because those are essential parts of a mage's skill build, in my opinion.

Thanks for reading,

Al.

P.S: Mages! This thread is for you! Go on and be the best class in AL.

So I've highlighted this part: What is the mage’s role in PvP?
    And just for you alhunt, the purpose is to BRING ME MANA! <3

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Soundlesskill For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soundlesskill:1728916
    null
    What's your new ign again?
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bless View Post
    What's your new ign again?
    Noisykillar o.o

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soundlesskill View Post
    And just for you alhunt, the purpose is to BRING ME MANA! <3
    Hypocrite^, making a twink mage without heal now are you?!

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

Edited the main post with a few pointers on how to play in a clash.

Playing with guns in a clash is also good, though not preferable; your damage with 1 attack skill isn't all that great. Just my opinion, and thought I should explain why I use a staff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

Hypocrite^, making a twink mage without heal now are you?!
    Yah and it reks rouges so hard it's fun!

And yes my smurf is 40, going 41 if I'm not too lazy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I don't see where you stated how you are suppose to dodge rogues aim shot and how to outrun a bulky warrior chasing you for dear life. Please add that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Imjebus:1740181
    I don't see where you stated how you are suppose to dodge rogues aim shot and how to outrun a bulky warrior chasing you for dear life. Please add that
    Simply, you can't dodge a good rogue's aimshot.
    Credits to Iady

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Imjebus View Post
    Rogues aren't that hard to kill, nor are warriors, imo. With the new mythic gun, I can kill about 70% of warriors with regular mythics (no glaive/maul).

I must add that the most annoying type of rogue you'll face is the one who respawns so fast you can barely move very far (since you've got no dash skills, n the rogue has) and then combos you while you have no shield. xD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Rogues aren't that hard to kill, nor are warriors, imo. With the new mythic gun, I can kill about 70% of warriors with regular mythics (no glaive/maul).

I must add that the most annoying type of rogue you'll face is the one who respawns so fast you can barely move very far (since you've got no dash skills, n the rogue has) and then combos you while you have no shield. xD
    Not for twinks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

The trick is to stay in your flag room. It pisses off rogues lol... The amount of time it takes to kill the rogue + the amount of time it takes the rogue to come back for you = shield CD done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Amazing and all around a pat on the back, i always wanted to be a pvp mage.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Cool thread