Thread: Ker'shal Scepter vs. Elondrian Gnarled Rifle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Default Ker'shal Scepter vs. Elondrian Gnarled Rifle

This is going to be the big debate for sorcerers. I currently have both weapons in my possession and spent some time playing with both of them today. The rifle did not yet have any gems, so my stats and damage suffered slightly -- my Kershal is +18 INT with all super gems. Here is my comparison...

In terms of stats, the Kershal is better, no doubt about it. With equal gems, the rifle should give around 8-10 more damage, but the Kerhsal will have the advantage in every other stat: +4.3 crit, +40 dps, +160 health

The real story here is the proc..... I think we all agree that the Kershal proc is terrible. I did not play long enough with the rifle really judge the root proc... in fact I only used it in PvP for a few minutes, and I was so excited using it that I forgot to pay attention and look for the proc, so I did not notice if the root proc was ever activated or not. But the +30 armor buff is huge. If you keep firing the rifle, it stacks 5 times for +150 armor. This does make a noticeable difference.

Together with the new Ancient Druid armor, I saw a very big armor increase. The big issue is that by changing away from the Kershal and the mythic helm & armor, you are losing most of your crit points. So this is more of a survivability build. You have much higher armor, and the increased range from the rifle means you no longer have to stand right in front of your target, instead you can kite from a distance.

The new rifle is really really good in PvP. Once again I have a chance to win against a warrior since I can keep my distance from them. You can run and fire at the same time, something you cannot do with a staff. I think if you are more concerned with PvP, you will want to have this new rifle.

However, in PvE I think the Kershal still rules, especially in places like the tombs or elites where you are trying to take down mobs. I think this is more of a staff vs. gun issue, but staffs attack many targets at the same time, where as guns only hit a single target. So against mobs, the kershal cannot be matched. But boss fights would be a different story, as there I would prefer the rifle. Although some bosses spawn mobs, so take your pick.

Overall I would not be surprised if both weapons retain a similar value. They are both good weapons, and each has its advantage. I think depending on your style of play and what you prefer to focus on (PvE vs PvP), you may prefer one over the other.

For me, I'm going to stick with the rifle as I'm more of a PvP focused player, and I just prefer rifles. I'm going to miss the Kershal disco ball glow though
    Last edited by Energizeric; 07-05-2014 at 04:37 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Kershal is still better in pvp imo. Tho... as all arcane mages say... kershal proc still needs a buff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

The only way the Kershal is better ... Is the crit and HP. I think overall, the gun would be better. On the stat page, it seems that the gun gives less damage compared to Kershal, but as far as skill damage, the gun rules. And it doesn't matter how much DPS is given on Kershal. Gun has auto-aim. As far as the HP loss, as you said, the armor bonus is slighty OP, so it kinda evens out. You can always add some STR points since you have more damage anyways. I think I would choose gun over Kershal, especially doing timed recs tombs... You have the ability to keep running foward, better damage, and be able to shoot backwards. One a Kershal cannot do.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Instanthumor For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

Without any gems and showing lower damage on the stats page, mythic gun gives higher skill damage. And mythic gun even had higher skill damage compare to kershal with +60 INT. Once fully gemmed the health difference is small. The loss of crit is the only thing that is of any concern. So between the two the mythic gun is superior.

As for single target vs multiple target, this is irrelevant. Because you use your skills for the most part. Kershal will probably drop in price since the gun is better both in skill damage and proc.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to falmear For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts

kershal maybe good in tombs but ill have to disagree that both will retain similar value, pvp items go up and pve items go down..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

As for the usefulness in tombs, I suppose it depends a lot on your build. When I run tombs (not for record times, but just for farming essences/crates) I use Fire, Ice, Shield, Heal so that I don't die and don't have to use any pots. So with only 2 offensive skills, using the regular weapon attack is something I do quite often. I found the Kershal to be much better in this situation as it just mows down the mobs.

Against bosses though, I much prefer to kite and the range of the gun makes a huge difference.

Good observation about the skill damage. I had not really looked at that. I am still baffled at how skill damage is computed. Originally we were lead to believe that skill damage was based on the damage stat, but now we see that is not the case. So I really have no idea how skill damage is computed.

Either way, I will be using the rifle. It just fits so much better with my playing style, that even if the damage was not higher I would still make the switch. Even if it had slightly worse stats, I think I would have better success with it.

As for the reduced crit, I think it's just a question of having a different build based less on chance. Landing a critical blow is always a chance game, and if you rely on that to win a battle, you will sometimes not get it. I actually prefer a higher damage/lower crit build as I know what I am getting and there is not as much luck involved. By moving to the Ancient Druid armor and the rifle, I am losing around 12-13% crit compared to the mythic helm/armor and kershal, but gaining quite a bit of armor and health. That together with the gun's armor proc and the gun's increased range will make me much harder to kill. The only area I see this trade not working out is in timed runs.
    Last edited by Energizeric; 07-05-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts

skill damage is based on your bonus dmg% and damage.
    there is some relation (formula to be precise) between bonus dmg% and damage regarding skill dmg.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by utpal View Post
    skill damage is based on your bonus dmg% and damage.
    there is some relation (formula to be precise) between bonus dmg% and damage regarding skill dmg.
    Then why is skill damage higher with an ungemmed rifle when both bonus damage% and damage are higher with the Kershal?

I think the same issue has been observed with the Magma Claymore of Assault compared to the arcane Maul.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

So the 'Arcane' staff basically lasted for 1 cap? Why even call it Arcane if it's going to be outclassed every cap? You know, just like mythics?

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JaytB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    Then why is skill damage higher with an ungemmed rifle when both bonus damage% and damage are higher with the Kershal?

I think the same issue has been observed with the Magma Claymore of Assault compared to the arcane Maul.
    Skill damage always been related to the level of the weapon and the rarity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gumball3000 View Post
    Skill damage always been related to the level of the weapon and the rarity.
    This is wrong as I provide here:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...=1#post1612390

However skill damage doesn't seem to be solely based on damage as many have believed (including myself). Whatever the reason or formula is the mythic gun outclasses the arcane staff on skill damage. And for a mage this is the first and most important thing to consider. So if you want the best weapon then its the mythic gun and not even the proc of +60 INT by the arcane staff surpasses the mythic gun in skill damage. Basically arcane staff has always been something that looks good like a vanity with impressive stats but is just a paper tiger.