Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey I made a game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Waheedski View Post
    Yep script the handling of scores, the paddles and let game physics handle the rest. Will be an interesting project. I personally would love to make a game, only coding is an issue for me.
    Idek how to upload pics and stuff xD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    haha yes.

yup, it's pretty fun. want to make a top down shooter next. like minigore.

It might seem intimidating at first, but it's easy if you do it step by step. did the models in 3ds max, and the rest of it in Unity, and some basic scripting in C#. don't get scared by all this please, you don't need to learn all of it just enough to do what you want. there are tutorials for most type of games on you tube. There is student version of 3ds max, free version of unity, so all the tools are free if you just want to learn or are interested. Tougher, or rather more time consuming part is modeling your own assets on 3ds max than making the game in unity actually. There is plenty of scope to play around with pre-made assets and scripts though.
    Oooo, where did you learn C# I've learnt C++ and when I finish C I'm gunna learn C#

Worst sig EU, got bored

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

hmm... Learnt some Java and C++ using non standard libraries and really horrible coding practices in school
    then I just followed the basic unity project tutorials. There are 3 of them, and they cover different aspects of scripting. So this is strictly not coding at all. There are easy references within unity, with code snippets in C# and JS, so it's more about taking the code and changing the values. I did write from scratch, but there is like 10 lines of code in it. Im gonna post it if it helps, and also to show that it's really easy to do, especially if you know modeling.

this is the script to make the camera follow the ball

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;

public class CameraController : MonoBehaviour
    {
    public GameObject Player;
    private Vector3 offset;

void Start ()
    {
    offset = transform.position;
    }

void LateUpdate ()
    {
    transform.position = Player.transform.position + offset;
    }
    }
    that's it. There are such small scripts to move the ball, make it jump, and rotate the merry go round.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    hmm... Learnt some Java and C++ using non standard libraries and really horrible coding practices in school
    then I just followed the basic unity project tutorials. There are 3 of them, and they cover different aspects of scripting. So this is strictly not coding at all. There are easy references within unity, with code snippets in C# and JS, so it's more about taking the code and changing the values. I did write from scratch, but there is like 10 lines of code in it. Im gonna post it if it helps, and also to show that it's really easy to do, especially if you know modeling.

this is the script to make the camera follow the ball

that's it. There are such small scripts to move the ball, make it jump, and rotate the merry go round.
    So confusing ;-;

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

The coding is simple, I mean I don't know Java or C# but if I did, then I would be to lazy to find out what that means

Worst sig EU, got bored

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

That piece of code looks interesting, just trying to figure it out. I get the gist of it.
    I think the camera is being repositioned to the ball (player) offset values + new position. /it's a rough guess BTW, don't shoot me if I'm wrong

I have a book on programming in C# somewhere! I might dig that out later in the year too many languages wanting to learn, some human, some computer.

C++, C#, API, Ruby, SQL, Unix.

Back in the day I was a mean COBOL programmer, seriously, don't laugh! Did some Pascal and object oriented Pascal too, even did a tad bit of machine code, ok it was very tiny bit, like programming to say hello world.

Nowadays, my priority is to make 3D stuff, for hobby and hopefully later on the year for a nice bit of extra income too. At the moment I'm undertaking a project for an online world, it's in the design phase and soon if I can get out of procrastinating it will be a 3d model.
    Last edited by Waheedski; 07-19-2014 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    317 Posts

Make a mmo :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Waheedski View Post
    That piece of code looks interesting, just trying to figure it out. I get the gist of it.
    I think the camera is being repositioned to the ball (player) offset values + new position. /it's a rough guess BTW, don't shoot me if I'm wrong
    yep, that's entirely accurate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

I decided to take coding as an option for my exams at school, we are using Scratch ( It's some stupid 7year old program in which you can move and object around your screen), I cried

Worst sig EU, got bored