Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bulwark Analysis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Exclamation Bulwark Analysis: Procs

<Ehh, Spell checking later. just posting so I stop getting PMs>

The main focus of this thread will be the procs of the Bulwark. Please do not spam comments such as "Yeah, buff the damage" or "damage is only for PvP." If you do so, I will assume you failed to read even the first two line of this thread and therefore I will ignore your comment.

This said, here are the stats of the avatar used for the testing.

Name:  Screenshot_2014-07-12-19-27-56.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  179.7 KB

I do not have screen shots of the numerous other players who have helped with the proc testing, but I would like to throw thanks out to ER as a whole for allowing me to randomly pull member into elite maps to watch me proc. (I may adjust this later when I can look up exact names. I won't post names for now out of fear of misspelling)

---

The Spirit Proc:

The Spirit Proc occurs randomly as the user of the Bulwark takes damage. The proc causes the user of the Bulwark to gain a glowing patch below their feet.

The proc adds +10 Str and +250 armor for 5 seconds and self heals the target 8 times over a period of 10 seconds. After 5 seconds of being active, the armor and StR buff move on to the nearest ally as well as starting that player's self heal.

The self heal returns roughly 5% (+/-2%) of the affected Avatar's HP per tic. The HP returned by the first 4 tics are usually more than the last 4 due to the initial Str buff. The HP return differs for each avatar. A mage's self heal will be based off their personal HP stat NOT the Bulwark user's HP. Therefore you will receive a total of 40% of your max HP returned per proc.

Initial proc with stat buff:
    Name:  _20140712_195723.JPG
Views: 801
Size:  435.3 KB

HP return after stat buff wears off:
    Name:  _20140712_200502.JPG
Views: 821
Size:  432.3 KB

The total HP return of this effect, for me, is about 2500 by the time all 8 tics of the self heal.

This can be compared to HoR which causes 6 self heals of about 780 with this gear. That's a total of 4680 HP returned. That is about 87% more HP returned than the spirit proc on top of HoR returning the HP faster and effecting all party members at the same time. HoR also heals all allies based off the caster's stats instead of the individual player's HP. Therefore, non ta ks benefit more from HoR's system of healing. HoR also creates a shield that stops all damage intake for just under 3 seconds.

One tic of HoR:
    Name:  _20140712_201559.JPG
Views: 799
Size:  446.1 KB

A single potion returns about 30% of the user's HP. In this way, HoR is equal to almost two and a half potions. The Bulwark's spirit i proc is equal to about one and a quarter potions.

One potion:
    Name:  _20140712_201641.JPG
Views: 789
Size:  436.5 KB

I would now like to compare the Bulwark's spirit proc to Pavise's proc. The Pavise's proc causes any mob to attack the user during the proc to be stunned. This is a life saver in elite and allows the party to regroup and better align skill rotations without the distraction of potion spamming for about 3 seconds.

The Bulwark proc is not enough to keep a player alive besides for the initial +250 armor buff that makes it easier to survive without guaranteeing it as a stun or total shield (like HoR) causes. The long span of time of which the self heal works (8 tics over 10 seconds) it will not keep you alive or aid much during potion spamming.

Pros of the Spirit Proc:
    - The armor proc is a constant number of 250 armor. Thus, it benefits from percentage armor buffs like passive armor and veils instead of conflicting with them.

Cons of the Spirit Proc:
    -The over time heal is very low.
    -The over time heal relies on each individual's HP instead of the tank's.
    -The procs duration from start to finish is 25 seconds. That creates a 25 second window each time in which it cannot proc again even though it affects each party member for only 10 seconds at a time.
    -The +10 Str is almost unnoticeable.
    -The best part of the proc lasts 5 seconds.

The Spirit Proc sounds really cool on paper, but it is disappointing in practice.

Suggested Changes:

Idea 1) Invigorating Spirit:
    -A nova occurs on proc. Allies in range recieve the benefit of the proc.
    -Return about 20% of the Bulwark user's HP to allies in range.
    -Allies in range are buffed by 250 armor for 5 seconds.

Idea 2) Thick Bark
    -No heal
    -Buff party armor by 250 for 8 seconds.

Idea 3) Stump the Enemy
    -Self buff only.
    - increase armor by 250 (or more) for 10 seconds, and maybe self heal. Heal is not required.
    -Taunt surrounding enemies.

---

The Reflect Proc:

The Reflect Proc will be applied to any target hit by a charged basic attack from the Bulwark. It lasts only a few seconds and applies a -15% hit chance debuff (as confirmed by Carapace). Mobs afflicted by the Reflect Proc will have a partical effect around their feet.

To dismiss previous rumors: This proc does NOT reduce armor and this proc does NOT taunt.

The reflect damage is calculated as about half the users raw damage stat (confirmed by Carapace except for how much if the user's damage stat which was later derived). There is give and take but it should be around half.

In Elite Tindirin maps, the damage dealt from an uncharged basic attack is greater than that of reflect damage. An uncharged basic attack can be used once every second but a charged attack can be used once every 2 seconds. Therefore, there is no gain in damage output gained from charging the Bulwark. In fact, you will deal lower damage charging the Bulwark because most mobs attack slower than once per second. Beyond this, charging the Bulwark's basic attack has a chance to stun mobs, wasting the reflect period and always lowers their hit chance.

Basic attack hit on an Elite Tindirin mob (right number):
    Name:  _20140712_204158.JPG
Views: 791
Size:  385.9 KB

Reflect damage on an Elite Tindirin mob:
    Name:  _20140712_204335.JPG
Views: 772
Size:  392.9 KB

Pros of the Reflect proc:
    -N/A

Cons of the Reflect proc:
    -It is calculated using the raw damage stat of a low damage weapon
    -It reduces the mobs hit chance while they receive damage by landing hits.
    -Mobs can be stunned by charging the bulwark, wasting both the hit chance reduction and the reflect.
    -The hit chance reduction is likely has no impact on targets inflicted with the -25% hit chance of fire ball.
    -The long charge time is unreasonable when you have to focus on potions.
    -the short duration means that boss can be hit with the proc and fail to attack once while it is active.
    -You deal more damage by not charging the weapon.

I will admit, I was taken away by this fancy proc at first. The more I tested it, the less impressed I was. I remember claiming it was the better of the Bulwark's two procs. It isn't. The +250 armor proc of the Bulwark is it's best proc. It is also the rarest and shortest lasting proc.

Suggested Changes:

Crucial Change: Don't make it a charge proc.
    -Chance to proc by dealing damage.

Idea 1) Pierce
    -Throw out the proc entirely and replace it with pierce, chance to deal damage based on armor (Pierce only applies to one attack at a time. It is similar to critical hits in this manner).

Idea 2) A Better Curse
    -Base damage reflected off a more warrior friendly stat like HP or armor.
    Or
    -Base damage reflected off damage intake.

Idea 3) Why fix it? Charge procs are always a failure and the most popular weapons usually have one proc. Just throw this proc out entirely and focus on making the main proc effective.

Or

Idea 4) Leaves Them Alone
    -Still a charge proc (zzz) but the charge time is to be shortened.
    -Mobs receive a damage debuff.
    -Mobs are taunted by charged attacks.

---

Don't let the following take away from the main purpose of this thread, the Bulwark's Procs. This just shows that the stats of the Bulwark as compared to a Conqueror's Wall as has been referenced many times without a screen shot.

Name:  Screenshot_2014-07-12-22-34-36.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  179.3 KB

Above shows the large DPS difference between the Bulwark and a Conqueror's Wall of Potency. Both have +9 Str in gems.
    Last edited by Crowsfoot; 07-18-2014 at 09:25 AM.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Crowsfoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Nice evaluation.

So as figured, a healing proc is useless in PvE where you are constantly spamming pots anyways. HoR is only really used for shielding the team, not for the health regen it provides. The proc, being a proc, gives you the 250 armor for 5 seconds, but the chances of that happening when you actually need it are very slim.

Reducing hit chance of mobs while they are supposed to be getting damaged by hitting you? Brilliant. (insert sarcasm here)

The proc doesn't stack so can only happen every 25 seconds, minimum? What the hell?

The weapon, has appallingly low damage, equivilant to a crate item worth 3000 gold. Sure it gives you more armor / hp (the amount varies somewhat depending on the other gear you have equipped / gems etc) but the benefits are not in any way enough to rate mythic quality. They certainly don't make it worth it for anyone running with a warrior using this gear.

Damage this bad means much longer runs causing the entire party taking more damage in the span of the run. (Lower damage / longer to kill / mobs live longer so get more hits in). So even though the warrior may save on pots and take less damage, the rest of the team is going to spend a whole lot more on pots (add on another 150-200 mana pots per rogue since they're carrying a damageless tank), and likely die more, especially since the proc doesn't even taunt. Useless.

The healing proc would be of some benefit in PvP, except the weapon is useless for that area due to said lack of damage.

So how exactly is this weapon mythic?
    Last edited by Samhayne; 07-15-2014 at 11:27 AM.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Serancha For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serancha View Post
    Nice evaluation.

So as figured, a healing proc is useless in PvE where you are constantly spamming pots anyways. HoR is only really used for shielding the team, not for the health regen it provides. The proc, being a proc, gives you the 250 armor for 5 seconds, but the chances of that happening when you actually need it are very slim.

Reducing hit chance of mobs while they are supposed to be getting damaged by hitting you? Brilliant. (insert sarcasm here)

The proc doesn't stack so can only happen every 25 seconds, minimum? What the hell?

The weapon, has appallingly low damage, equivilant to a crate item worth 3000 gold. Sure it gives you more armor / hp (the amount varies somewhat depending on the other gear you have equipped / gems etc) but the benefits are not in any way enough to rate mythic quality. They certainly don't make it worth it for anyone running with a warrior using this gear.

Damage this bad means much longer runs causing the entire party taking more damage in the span of the run. (Lower damage / longer to kill / mobs live longer so get more hits in). So even though the warrior may save on pots and take less damage, the rest of the team is going to spend a whole lot more on pots (add on another 150-200 mana pots per rogue since they're carrying a damageless tank), and likely die more, especially since the proc doesn't even taunt. Useless.

The healing proc would be of some benefit in PvP, except the weapon is useless for that area due to said lack of damage.

So how exactly is this weapon mythic? Warrior isn't even my main character and I find this insulting to the entire class.
    Yes, the Charge proc seemed to have conflicting effects, and the best proc was limited by the second worst. The heal is only the second worst because it might help rogues KS you in PvP.

---

My suggestion to fix the Bulwark assuming any change is possible:

1) Add at least +30 DPS; Preferably +50 DPS and +20 Damage, but I won't be picky at this point. Let's make the Bulwark better than a Conqueror's Wall and go from there.

2) Drop the self heal to 20% (down from 40%) of the tank's raw HP (roughly 1200) and return it all at once simultaneously with the +250 armor proc. It will be a nova like effect which only hits allies in range. The proc duration is shortened to 5 seconds and focuses on the most useful part. Remove the +10 Str buff as well, because it serves no purpose.

3) Remove the charge proc and add a Pierce proc. The Pierce proc is a favorite of the Glaive; it makes random attacks, both basic attacks and skills, deal damage based on armor. It is random, similar to critical hits in that manner.
    Last edited by Crowsfoot; 07-12-2014 at 08:46 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crowsfoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Damage should be substantially higher than the conqueror wall. I would suggest at least halfway between what it is now and the magmatic of assault. This is a mythic weapon after all.

The damage / dps ratio is what affects charge time. They did state this weapon has a larger charge time because of it's "super awesome" proc. (lol), so this would explain why its dps is lower than the wall for the same damage. Increasing the basic damage would increase the dps at the same time, however, that ratio would possibly only change if they decide to shorten the charge time. Since the weapon isn't worth charging, I don't think shortening it would be a problem.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Serancha For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serancha View Post
    Damage should be substantially higher than the conqueror wall. I would suggest at least halfway between what it is now and the magmatic of assault. This is a mythic weapon after all.

The damage / dps ratio is what affects charge time. They did state this weapon has a larger charge time because of it's "super awesome" proc. (lol), so this would explain why its dps is lower than the wall for the same damage. Increasing the basic damage would increase the dps at the same time, however, that ratio would possibly only change if they decide to shorten the charge time. Since the weapon isn't worth charging, I don't think shortening it would be a problem.
    Name:  Screenshot_2014-07-12-22-35-00.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  233.2 KB

That would be about +26 DPS and +35 Damage.

I am still waiting to borrow a glaive for another comparison, so I don't know if I support that large of a stat buff. However, it is Mythic.

---

Back to procs where I would like to focus until I know what I need. Throw the charge proc out. It either needs a huge buff or they can just replace it. I almost never charge weapons to begin with.

The charge proc on the arcane staff was a disaster. Let's cut our losses now and improve the main proc. If a sub proc is to be added for extra damage output, make it pierce. This is a high armor weapon that would greatly benefit from pierce.
    Last edited by Crowsfoot; 07-12-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Totally agree with the proc thing. They got rid of charge proc for 90% of weapons after season 3. There's no reason they should be using it at all, especially on mythic or arcane weapons, since it's an obvious fail.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Serancha For This Useful Post:

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Based on the above analysis by Crow, the cons totally outweigh the pros. I mean the best proc is +250 armour ??? Ironbite can buff your armour +225!

This mythic bulwark should've laid the conquerer wall weapon and mythic pavise to rest and be the ultimate tanking weapon. Based on the above analysis and how, many warriors are slating this weapon, It is not worthy to be called a mythic warrior weapon especially when something like a cheap sword and shield weapon can give it a good run for it's money - get that, some good gears and a tanking pet and your good to go in elites.

I was really looking forward to the mythic bulwark. I may still buy it if it becomes dirt cheap like a a mill or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Waheedski View Post
    Based on the above analysis by Crow, the cons totally outweigh the pros. I mean the best proc is +250 armour ??? Ironbite can buff your armour +225!

This mythic bulwark should've laid the conquerer wall weapon and mythic pavise to rest and be the ultimate tanking weapon. Based on the above analysis and how, many warriors are slating this weapon, It is not worthy to be called a mythic warrior weapon especially when something like a cheap sword and shield weapon can give it a good run for it's money - get that, some good gears and a tanking pet and your good to go in elites.

I was really looking forward to the mythic bulwark. I may still buy it [when] it becomes dirt cheap like a a mill or two.
    Fixed

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crowsfoot View Post
    fixed
    lol ocd ftw
    Last edited by Waheedski; 07-12-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe make the dmg reflected equal to half of the dmg taken, then this weapon would be great in pvp against rogue and in elite against high dmg mobs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cctv View Post
    Maybe make the dmg reflected equal to half of the dmg taken, then this weapon would be great in pvp against rogue and in elite against high dmg mobs
    A rogue crits you 4k and kills themself. OP, won't happen. Basing the reflect off damage intake was my original idea but it is based off mage curse according to Carapace. It may be easier to just throw it out.

Plus: charge procs are terrible so I would like the charge aspect removed no matter what.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Crowsfoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crowsfoot View Post
    A rogue crits you 4k and kills themself. OP, won't happen. Basing the reflect off damage intake was my original idea but it is based off mage curse according to Carapace. It may be easier to just throw it out.

Plus: charge procs are terrible so I would like the charge aspect removed no matter what.
    Or reduce 20% of the incoming dmg and reflect them to the enemy around you, this is a lvl41 mythic weapon and it should be as good as rogue's new mythic bow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Or reduce 20% of the incoming dmg and reflect them to the enemy around you, this is a lvl41 mythic weapon and it should be as good as rogue's new mythic bow
    1) that's still OP.

2) you skipped a part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

No it shouldn't, actually. You can't compare a damage weapon with a tanking weapon. Not saying Bulwark doesn't need a DPS buff because it does (and also proc refinements).

Good job on the analysis crow, looking forward to fixes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

PS: Fireball's hit % reduce is 25%.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Madnex For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madnex View Post
    No it shouldn't, actually. You can't compare a damage weapon with a tanking weapon. Not saying Bulwark doesn't need a DPS buff because it does (and also proc refinements).

Good job on the analysis crow, looking forward to fixes.
    The issue is that reflect is based off of raw damage. It is difficult to go back and change the main factor to armor, damage intake, or other factor. Best to just throw it away and replace it in my opinion. The point of the reflect proc is to deal more damage. Pierce will do that without being another ship wreck charge proc.

PS: The Bulwark is a low damage weapon with a proc based on raw damage. Fantastic :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Seems like the proc could use some fixing, but the stats seem very good to me, and much better than the Conquerer's Wall. Just look at the armor and health differences, and even your damage is slightly higher. DPS is probably the least important stat as it does not affect skill damage. Also, mythics have an extra gem slot, which means you can have an extra +6 STR over the Conquerer's Wall with perfect gems, which would give you another 60 health and a couple of extra damage points.

Clearly this is a tanking weapon and probably not very appropriate for PvP, so comparing it to the claymore is like comparing a sorcerer gun to a staff. Yes, the gun will be better in PvP, but not in PvE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

dam. i think charge should proc -20%armor, -15%hit its really useless, or -50%hit its ok. .
    i and my frd tried this weapon, its worsttank weapon, no one replaced.
    maybe bulwark proc is awesome, just bcoz we are too stupid。。。o( ̄ヘ ̄o)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Sorcerer curse is total useless in pve, it a fail if a pve style weapon based on it.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Haligali For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haligali View Post
    Sorcerer curse is total useless in pve, it a fail if a pve style weapon based on it.
    I didn't think of this but you are absolutely right. Why would we want a Nerfed version that only lasts 1.5 seconds if it is a failure in its prime?