Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous prices

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    You cannot have an income tax in this game. I don't even know how you would implement it, as "income" tax is based on income, not total wealth.

But there is no need to have that. Just sell an item as a gold sink. The better the item, the more you can charge for it.
    I'll repeat what Zeus posted earlier, as you may have missed it. Zeus, who may be in the top 5% of the game with regards to wealth, couldn't care less about the 10M for the gold vanity sink. What I think needs to be addressed is that even if you add a sink, those players with 100M+ gold and 50m+ in items can merch several million a day. With 100M, you can merch all the arlor vanities you want, as well as arcane weapons and the new mythics.

I think a safe assumption is that 75% of those with that much money play over 6 hours a day, so merching those items would make, for argument's sake, 5M a day. Way more if they don't use auction. A 50M gold sink? Just over a weeks work.

Maybe the numbers are off, but the core concept remains. It's even echoed in the common advice given to new players: "As you make money, you can begin to merch more expensive items, and make more money with each trade." I can't think of a solution at the moment, but I don't think adding expensive gold sinks will make much of a difference to the players this thread is centred around. It'll just become more of a nuisance for them, having to buy that "dumb new arcane pet" (to have everything), and work to get the money back.
    Last edited by FluidShot; 07-23-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Those who say it cannot be done should not stop those who are doing it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FluidShot For This Useful Post:

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

The only way to change this trend would be to have some kind of luxury tax on the wealthy. The elite vanity items were a good start, but I don't see that many of them around, so I'm not sure how effective that has been.
    Did you buy one?

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

It's better to make shady and surge and future lb pet rewards to be non tradeable problem solved!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tharidom View Post
    Lolz says u, and I know that deary prices aren't controllable. Only things like original jester can be controlled by buying them all.
    no, a dude bought many mage jester sets thinking it will rise in value.. check traders market if u find a single buying mage jester set after the sets were given away.. there are none.. the value of mage jester is same on the other hand war and rogue ones are 25-30m.

it all depends on demand.

as ive already mentioned before no matter how hard a person try he cannot control a market (in game) played by thousands of individuals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iliketolol View Post
    no, a dude bought many mage jester sets thinking it will rise in value.. check traders market if u find a single buying mage jester set after the sets were given away.. there are none.. the value of mage jester is same on the other hand war and rogue ones are 25-30m.

as ive already mentioned before no matter how hard a person try he cannot control a market (in game) played by thousands of individuals.
    Wrong, with the appropriate knowledge and financial backup you can control a few items.

It has been done before and it can be done again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts

Zeus is gonna try if I'm correct he's trying to collect rogue jester sets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Wrong, with the appropriate knowledge and financial backup you can control a few items.

It has been done before and it can be done again.
    hmm yep makes sense but still its extremely difficult as a single person. (close to impossible yet possible maybe by some sheik? lol)

it will need obscene anount of money that will be locked with items for a long period of time until the price increases..

i know some people who have tried that but never successful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

Rich merchers don't work alone, some plan with friends and guildies.
    In some guilds you can even witness group manipulation, where the richest members agree to collectively invest on the same items.

Even a lone mercher with around 100/200m can control the arlor market without having to buy majoriy of all the arlors ingame.
    What he has to do is continue buying all the ones for sale for 2/3 weeks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

It's been done before. When a majority of merchers hoard items they will go up. This actually happened a couple weeks ago when slag went from 500k to 1mil+. But sometimes merchers give up like what happened to the whim eggs and now the demand is huge so when the Tarlok event returns everyone will try to hoard them. Then the market will crash again.

Still unles you have 200m+ it's very hard to control the market alone especially if it's something that can be used forever (vanities) vs things that are extinguished after using (eggs)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

It's completely possible, you just have to have the right circumstances. If you learn to identify what those circumstances are, it's like taking candy from a baby.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    It's completely possible, you just have to have the right circumstances. If you learn to identify what those circumstances are, it's like taking candy from a baby.
    Clearly we have much to learn from the almighty Zeus.

Please teach us the ways of stealing candy from innocent children who can't fight back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    Did you buy one?
    No, but then again I'm not that rich. I have yet to buy samael or an arcane ring, so I would certainly not spend my hard earned gold on a vanity unless I had all the best non-vanity items first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

One possible way to control prices of the most expensive items is to simply offer them for sale from an NPC in addition to them coming in elite golden chests and locked crates. For example, imagine if an NPC sold arcane shards for 50m. 50m is no small amount, but it would keep the market price steady. If you looted one from a locked crate and decided to sell it, you would have to undercut the NPC in order to make a sale. Eventually as the supply of them increases, and as they become more dated gear (like an arcane maul), the price would fall below 50m and then nobody would buy from the NPC anymore.

I don't think this would hurt locked crate sales for STS as nobody is going to not open crates because an arcane shard is worth ONLY 50m LOL

This would also serve to work as a gold sink as some players would buy from the NPC.

I don't think it's fair to make a change like this for current gear, as someone who spent 100m on an arcane ring yesterday would be very angry, but perhaps this is an idea that should be presented with the introduction of future arcane items/pets. I'm not talking about limited run pets like Whim or Shady & Surge, but for regular arcane pets like Samael, Singe, etc.

Yes, it would cause a temporary increase in the supply of these items when they are new, but in the end it would serve to drive the market price lower. Call it a price control if you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

One possible way to control prices of the most expensive items is to simply offer them for sale from an NPC in addition to them coming in elite golden chests and locked crates. For example, imagine if an NPC sold arcane shards for 50m. 50m is no small amount, but it would keep the market price steady. If you looted one from a locked crate and decided to sell it, you would have to undercut the NPC in order to make a sale. Eventually as the supply of them increases, and as they become more dated gear (like an arcane maul), the price would fall below 50m and then nobody would buy from the NPC anymore.

I don't think this would hurt locked crate sales for STS as nobody is going to not open crates because an arcane shard is worth ONLY 50m LOL

This would also serve to work as a gold sink as some players would buy from the NPC.

I don't think it's fair to make a change like this for current gear, as someone who spent 100m on an arcane ring yesterday would be very angry, but perhaps this is an idea that should be presented with the introduction of future arcane items/pets. I'm not talking about limited run pets like Whim or Shady & Surge, but for regular arcane pets like Samael, Singe, etc.

Yes, it would cause a temporary increase in the supply of these items when they are new, but in the end it would serve to drive the market price lower. Call it a price control if you want.
    I remember proposing something identical 2/3 months ago or so. A NPC that was going to sell at rotation different mythic and arcane items in order to give them a max roof. This NPC was going to Change the current item it was selling in a time that went from 2weeks to 1 month. No mercher can surpass this roof.

Edit:
    And it was in another economy depression thread. All this time has past and here we are again today discussing economy, we keep sayin the same things in different ways, words from different people each with different opinions and cure but AL economy never gets better. On a personal note i have ideas, lots of ideas on how to get things better but whats the use of writing them over and over again if they just remain in another thread that will soon get buried deep in the archives.

Or all the ideas till date were trash or maybe sts simply doesnt listen and cant gaf less.
    Last edited by Anarchist; 07-23-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

"gold sink" , is not enough unless you are obliged to sink your gold ... just saying , you have the choice to buy the 10m vanity , and you have the choice to buy a 50m pet too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

i support this 100% , Stg should have a limit on prices by using an NPC , and above all people will not be having to find a seller and search for days , and people cannot " monopoly " the items which leads subsequently to the " ridiculous prices "

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Filthyness For This Useful Post:

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

So this item they sell, how is the price decided? When is the price decided? Is it uniform? Let's say there was a NPC that sold Mythic Weapons. Let's say 25M is the price set for weapons. Should it sell all types at the same price? The market set a rough max of 5M for the sword, 15 for the gun and 30 for the bow.
    An arcane example is Singe. At this point we are charging 50M for arcane. But back in Sam's Day we would have charged 25M. (Gold has gone higher but Sam is inflation proof.) Right now Singe has a max of 11M and Sam still costs 25M.

Point is that letting the market decide is still the best solution., even when the market decides that something costs more then you have.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SacredKnight View Post
    Clearly we have much to learn from the almighty Zeus.

Please teach us the ways of stealing candy from innocent children who can't fight back.
    Not almighty, hehe. -.-

I really can't say though. If it works for me, I don't want more competition.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts

Well I gave it some thought and...
    Just try to wrap your head around this idea: all the gold that has EVER come out of Lockeds needs to be drained, minus the negligible bit spent on potions.
    This is so much gold it's beyond hope. Not to mention that people will not just let their gold go, given a choice.

So... can you remind me why exactly inflation is bad? After thinking about it for a few minutes, it looks like the only viable solution.
    Disclaimer: my lameness is figurative but strong

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    So this item they sell, how is the price decided? When is the price decided? Is it uniform? Let's say there was a NPC that sold Mythic Weapons. Let's say 25M is the price set for weapons. Should it sell all types at the same price? The market set a rough max of 5M for the sword, 15 for the gun and 30 for the bow.
    An arcane example is Singe. At this point we are charging 50M for arcane. But back in Sam's Day we would have charged 25M. (Gold has gone higher but Sam is inflation proof.) Right now Singe has a max of 11M and Sam still costs 25M.

Point is that letting the market decide is still the best solution., even when the market decides that something costs more then you have.
    The market would still decide the price of all items, the NPC would only provide a ceiling. So yes, if the ceiling on an arcane pet was 25m, then Singe would still sell for 11m. It just means that items like the arcane shard won't get out of hand. And maybe the price on mythic weapons should be 20m. So if the sword only sells for 5m, then fine. But since the bow is so expensive, it would top out at 20m.

Also, we are not talking about limited run or discontinued items/collectors items. I have no problem with those being super expensive. I have my super rare level 26 kraken skewer, and it is fine if that is worth a ton, because nobody needs to have that item to compete. But when we are talking about the best mythic and arcane end game gear, then yes there should be some sort of ceiling on these items, or else we are going to wake up one day and have the 1 billion gold level 66 arcane bow. LOL
    Last edited by Energizeric; 07-23-2014 at 09:05 PM.