Thread: [Review]: Elondrian Gnarled Rifle of Brutality

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

Default [Review]: Elondrian Gnarled Rifle of Brutality

Hey all,

Below is a short review of the L41 Elondrian Gnarled Rifle of Brutality, looted from Elondrian Spirit Chests [DISCONTINUED] or Locked Grand Crates of Elondria [DISCONTINUED].

Comparison between Expedition Rifle of Brutality and the Elondrian Gnarled Rifle of Brutality:
    Having gemmed both guns with an equal amount of gems (2 on both), the stat differences are:

Name:  Mythic gun 2.png
Views: 1545
Size:  1.26 MB

This is quite a large jump!

Skill damage of Lightning Strike with the Elondrian Rifle:

Name:  gun.png
Views: 1301
Size:  1.27 MB

And the skill damage of the Expedition Rifle:

Name:  gun.png
Views: 1134
Size:  1.29 MB

Again, a large jump. Bear in mind, the actual damage output is much higher since Lightning has 250% damage on a critical hit.

Proc:
    The proc is one of the best things about the gun, IMO. It has 2 procs - a shield and a root.

-Shield: The shield proc cannot be classified as a proc, as it procs every gun attack. It procs an armor buff of +30 armor which stacks progressively every gun attack for 5 attacks, resulting in a shield that grants 150 armor. The proc can potentially last forever if you could fire your gun that long, as once you hit the max buff, the gun will go on proccing it.

Overall, an amazing feature; proc it before clashes and/or 1v1's (if you can ignore your opponent telling you to stop) for a neat boost.

-Root: By far the most amazing proc of any mage weapon in my opinion. It summons a root similar to Herond's that leaves your opponents rooted to the spot for a few seconds. It doesn't sound so hot but in actual fact, it gives you a MASSIVE advantage. In fighting rogues, its an automatic GG (mostly) if your gun roots them - because a rooted rogue cannot reach her packs. This results in their pack rotation being destroyed. When fighting tanks, this is THE best proc, because the tank's close ranged attacks (except ax) cannot reach you at all, thus nullifying them for a couple of seconds, giving you valuable breathing space.

It also reduces a target's dodge to -100%, which also gives you a large advantage over rogues because they cannot dodge your auto attacks (which do a good amount of damage) or pet stuns! It also does a -25% armor reduction, which is again amazing vs both tanks and rogues.

Proc Rate:
    The root proc rate is quite low - chances are you won't see it happen in a 1v1 unless you're pretty lucky. The shield procs every auto attack though which is awesome.

Conclusion:
    If you can afford it, it is the best weapon a mage can own currently besides the Kershal; kind of like a Fortified Glaive for mages! It is definitely better than the Infused Orbital, and completely overtakes the Expedition Rifle both in terms of HP and damage. If you can afford the price tag, go for it!
    Last edited by Alhuntrazeck; 07-27-2014 at 10:42 AM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Alhuntrazeck For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

Alhun is the mythic gun better than the arcane staff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Overall, yes it is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts

nerf it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor View Post
    Overall, yes it is
    Skill Damage the gun is superior to Kershal by at least 100DMG.

Might be just me, but I somehow prefer Kershal when PvEing probably because the last time I used a gun for PvE mainly was when the Runic Flare still ruled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Although I only tested it for an hour or so, the gun is great for PvE too.

I actually sold my Arcane lollipop because I liked the gun that much more. Skill damage is a nice amount higher for the gun and the shield proc kind of makes up for the loss in HP. Armor reduction is great, especially for boss fights, and auto-aim + range are a blessing compared to the staff.

I might be biased though, cause I generally always preferred a gun over a staff.

All in all, I think it's a great weapon and probably my personal favorite, in terms of 'fun to use', so far!

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JaytB For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts

Only thing I prefrer about a staff is the hitting of multiple targets w auto in pve. It's pewpew w gun which just isnt the same as charging 4 or 5 baddies at the same time with a staff. The new gun is however an amazing weapon w great procs that I've yet to try in pvp. Thx for the post Al. After our contest imma spec heal back and lolpvp again here and there. Make some new frenemies heh
    CO-GM <THE COLLECTIVE>

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gorecaster For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Although I only tested it for an hour or so, the gun is great for PvE too.

I actually sold my Arcane lollipop because I liked the gun that much more. Skill damage is a nice amount higher for the gun and the shield proc kind of makes up for the loss in HP. Armor reduction is great, especially for boss fights, and auto-aim + range are a blessing compared to the staff.

I might be biased though, cause I generally always preferred a gun over a staff.

All in all, I think it's a great weapon and probably my personal favorite, in terms of 'fun to use', so far!
    ^ He covered it

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

Depends on your preferences and perspective. After using both, I prefer the gun. That being said, the staff is still amazing because of its bling - everyone notices you, know what I'm saying? You get that circle round you and Tinkerbell flying about. What's not to love! xD

If I can get my hands on a (hopefully non-perfected) arcane staff, I'll do a comparison between the two in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorecaster View Post
    Only thing I prefrer about a staff is the hitting of multiple targets w auto in pve. It's pewpew w gun which just isnt the same as charging 4 or 5 baddies at the same time with a staff. The new gun is however an amazing weapon w great procs that I've yet to try in pvp. Thx for the post Al. After our contest imma spec heal back and lolpvp again here and there. Make some new frenemies heh
    Yeah - multiple targets means the staff is great in clashes as well as PvE (lolpve). Gun I like because you can maintain your distance while dealing more damage than the staff - and also staying alive, because every attack of the gun procs a shield!

P.S: Lolpvp with me and kei!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,016 Posts

I just keep going back to the lollipop for pve mobs and swapping out to rifle on boss. However, y'all know I don't PvP but the few times I have with the rifle it's freaking awesome.... So if you have any intent of doing PvP get the rifle. It's seriously good weap for mage.

Nice review Al. (:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    769 Posts

Makes me want to get one of those...how do i make 16m quick?

on topic,
    Nice review, Alhuntrazeck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

I agree with all that has been said. I find I wipe out the mobs much quicker with the Kershal, but at bosses and in PvP, the rifle is much much better. Not only do you cause more damage, but you can keep your distance and have extra armor, which combined means you die much less often.

If you have to choose 1, I'd say take the rifle unless you spend most of your time in the tombs farming crates, then perhaps the kershal would be better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

The gun is better on elite mobs, you risk one hit ko when you try to hit the serpents and comodo lizards from close range, rooting them is an awesome thing also, i say kershal only better in tomb mobs.

Also, the kershals pushback is really annoying, i am glad that the gun has no such thing.
    Last edited by Haligali; 07-28-2014 at 04:25 AM.