Thread: Yes I'm going to suggest the DD item system again but hear me out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default Yes I'm going to suggest the DD item system again but hear me out!

I just saw someone on Facebook showing off their itty bitty bird in low level equipment, that quite frankly, anyone can get.
    It makes it almost laughable that anyone would even show off their characters/equipment in this game. At any level. Since with the right amount of money, even the rarest items can be acquired (besides, of course, things like PL shields and other nontradable items).

Conversely, it's quite fun on the DD forum to show and compare weapons/equipment you've looted and/or upgraded.
    It gives you much more pride in the items you've farmed. In fact, you're more likely to farm your own than take from others, because no one is going to give up their best equipment. So you are your best bet at getting a really nice piece. (People still give away the items they no longer need, which is nice for people who haven't found that perfect piece yet).

I know G mentioned crafting in passing. But are you guys planning anything that would give players this pride in their equipment? If the crafting still allows everyone to craft the same stuff, it won't change much. What's really needed is something that allows people to have something truly unique that they can be proud of spending the time to farm it. I know my PL addiction would likely return with something like that (now I just have forum addiction )

Edit: I guess I should mention that the reason the items are so unique is because they all start with different stats, even if they look the same or have the same names. People say they've seen duplicates, but it's very uncommon. I've never seen a copy of any of my best pieces.
    There's just too much to go into without posting photos and explaining every little thing. But if that's what it'll take to get the devs to implement something like this, I'll do it!
    Last edited by Lesrider; 01-14-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Forums are addicting sometimes more than the game and tbh on dungeon defenders I got to level 8 and quit I found it the most boring overrated game in the world :/ don't no if its just me but I got sick of it I liked it the gameplay and graphics but just didn't appeal In anyway shape or form -.-?... Hmm oh well lol
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11145&dateline=130178  8828

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by icantgetkills View Post
    Forums are addicting sometimes more than the game and tbh on dungeon defenders I got to level 8 and quit I found it the most boring overrated game in the world :/ don't no if its just me but I got sick of it I liked it the gameplay and graphics but just didn't appeal In anyway shape or form -.-?... Hmm oh well lol
    Thanks for the input but I would really like to keep this about the item system and the item system alone. Not a thread about who likes or doesn't like DD for whatever reason. I'm just suggesting the item system here, not that PL gets turned into DD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh yer rofl whoops and yes I really like the idea so we can have unique items with different looks and colours
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11145&dateline=130178  8828

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think what works so well with the crafting aspect in DD is the fact no items are the same to begin with, and crafting makes them even more unique. Something like this would be great for PL, so people can actually have a unique build, rather than a bunch of clones running around like we do now. Heck, even randomize the item drop stats and forget the crafting!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Id prefer showing off diff looking gear, maybe differet colors with same stats. example: PINK void gear that would look awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the DD item system a lot. This would obliterate the existing in-game economy (which isn't all that hot right now, tbh), but it would make for more interesting gearing runs and the like. From a coding perspective, I think it would require a LOT of work, though. A total rework of the existing item system and all new art would be essential to making this work. It sounds very promising, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by superglut2 View Post
    Id prefer showing off diff looking gear, maybe differet colors with same stats. example: PINK void gear that would look awesome.
    Being able to color and dye eq would be AWESOME.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I like the idea of colors. A dye system like in GW would rock.

As for items with random stats, I have to say nay on that one. I like consistency. Right now we have some variance in stats on non set pieces and it annoys the crap out of me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

waaait for iiit....

(new page is mine!)
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarra View Post
    I like the DD item system a lot. This would obliterate the existing in-game economy (which isn't all that hot right now, tbh), but it would make for more interesting gearing runs and the like. From a coding perspective, I think it would require a LOT of work, though. A total rework of the existing item system and all new art would be essential to making this work. It sounds very promising, though.
    obliterate the economy? not at all! there would be two kinds of markets: looks, and power. you get a rare black and green power armor, it sells for millions. you find a sword that has almost no dps since it is so slow, but is a huge one hit wonder, you are in for those who are interested in quick pvp kills. im telling you, the economy would become HUGE as even lowly newbs could find something new and cool.

how to implement? add more pallets. the most common scimitar pallet would be gold and red. there could be a very uncommon (1/5 scimitar?) white and blue crystal one tho! and maybe even an unannounced black and green crystal one, where one in 100 scimitar drops is it... you can add lots of 1/5 pallets.

same for stats too. pallets for what the item concentrates on. have a basic "hit" stat allocation item, damage allocation stat item, or even regen allocation stat item.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like it. It almost seems like a socketing/embedding setup would be easier to implement from a build-side perspective, though (less coding of new items). Like I said, I love the DD item system. It's really open, and one of the things that actually worried me about sustainability in PL was the fact that there were a handful of "Best EQs" in the game, and things could get boring after you have them all. A crafting/socketing/customization system fixes this issue 100%...because no one can ever have the best equipment. I'm in favor of whatever accomplishes this within the game. So I agree with this perspective if it gets the job done. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I'm not saying it has to be done the same exact way as DD. I have no idea what that would involve this late in the game. I'm just wondering if they have any plans to do something similar or another way to make it possible to have variety between items to give us that sense of pride in our loot. Right now, there's no difference between someone who farmed their equipment and someone who bought it. But with DD's system, it's highly unlikely someone's going to sell their best stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't imagine they wouldn't; any smallish coding changes the devs can make that improve sustainability and longevity are a win-win.

For the record, I play PL a lot more than I play DD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tsarra View Post
    I can't imagine they wouldn't; any smallish coding changes the devs can make that improve sustainability and longevity are a win-win.

For the record, I play PL a lot more than I play DD.

Hope you're right!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

that would be cool