Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Booting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

On the “half,” are you rounding up or down? This makes a bit of a difference, since it includes the bootee.

Can you be more specific about the minimum level? Limiting AO3 games to 45-50 doesn't actually solve the problem for me. What annoys me most is when a game is filled with 47-49 power levelers who all leave before the boss. I feel like I just wasted my time doing the map at all. If I'm after the boss, I only want to do these runs with level 50s.

Yes, this is really annoying to lower level players trying to open maps. Sorry, but there's a social problem in this game that needs to be solved better. One way might be to introduce serious incentives to get people to finish maps. A suggestion I had a while back was to make certain things (kills? prizes?) only accrue to the players when the map is finished.

For the lower level dungeons, I would also really like a maximum level option.
    Last edited by mycroftxxx; 01-23-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Let me elaborate on this a bit. Take AO3.2 as an example. Broadly speaking, you have 5 goal-oriented reasons people play this map:

* they want to kill Mynas for prizes
    * they want to kill the Keeper for prizes
    * they need to find the cyber ghost
    * they want to just kill easy stuff in hallways to level
    * they want to clear the map to open AO3.3

The problem is, because players are often selfish, these things are very incompatible. Various things happen (respective to above items):

* players refuse to go into the Mynas tomb
    * players leave before the Keeper
    * players refuse to go into the Mynas tomb
    * players kill easy stuff and leave
    * all of the above

All of these things are highly frustrating as a player. Yes, I can ask people before a map starts, but then you have people who never answer, who lie, or who just leave because it's taking too long to get started.

I feel pretty strongly that the only solution for this is to make it so people actively want to clear maps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes.
    Wont say much since I did it a few time myself before i got bored after a few runs. Some aliens along with the mummies could solve this, as long as it is considered a problem. But Ppl will just look for another place to xp.

Changed my Mind about the booting requirement: I guess it would be nice to have a 'friendly' default reason when ppl boot others
    '.' is as friendly a reason as the whole concept of booting. So a reason of at least, say, 5 characters could help, just for the sake of 'friendliness'.

If it's easy enough to implement of course.
    But maybe it'll just result in '.....' reasons instead of the 'sorry', 'sry full' I'm thinking of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Mycroft, your points support my suggestion, that some sort of tagging system exist on games so that people know what sort of game the person who created the instance wants to play. That would eliminate 90% of the booting right there, since most of the boot-abusers are using it to create a group of players who are going for the same goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Tagging won't do it. Selfish people will just lie to get more action.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Good job devs, you are one stop close to bring me back to the world of Pocket Legends. How many more too go you ask?
    Well let's just say I'll come visit when it comes to Mac.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok,

First off, I do support a form of booting, but only where game prerquisites cannot solve the problem.

i.e.
    If you don't want lowbies tagging along, set the min level.
    If you want a game with friends, lets have a 'friends list' or 'invite' only option

You get my drift.

My issue with the game initiator being able to boot is simple, getting kicked out of a level as you approach the boss because their friend is ready now really 'annoys'

If a level is open to join ( you meet the stats ) and there is a spot free, then I feel it is
    valid to allow a person to join and stay joined if they are not abusive.

This is an open MMO, the whole essence of an MMO is meeting people and playing together in a world, plans don't always work out because an unexpected person turns up etc.

If you give even the slightest hint of a feature that an idiot can abuse to annoy people, they will do so. ( I am on my 5th MMO here )

Before you flame me :
    I am not saying you should not be able to create a nice custom instance, perhaps even allowing you to set class based spots.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Just wondering what happened to this? Along with a lot of others, I've been joining sewers games thru the quest menu, so there's no host. I've been seeing leeches, as low as lvl 9. I typically just leave but the group vote would have come in handy.
    Kujen 56 Bird / Rahki 55 Bear / Silvanya 55 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

First and foremost, I am totally for the minimum level option, and that locked games should be limited to purely invite only, no friends joining uninvited.

IMHO, I think there is really no need for a voting system as it only distracts players, and with the minimum level option, there won't be any leeches around to boot anyway. It'll mainly be used for abusive players, and whoever the host wants to boot, which he should have the right to since he hosted the game, be it for whatever reason. (Anyway, I wouldn't care to remain in a game where the leader boots people for no reason.) But I agree that hosting role be transferred automatically to the next player who was with the group longest, if the original host leaves,dc.

I agree with mycroftxxx on the part where people leave before completing the map level. It's frustrating when you're there to kill certain bosses but then finds that the group either skips them or leaves before killing them. Perhaps further rewards can be given for completing each level? For eg, doubling/tripling the gold received by each player in that level after completion? To accrue money and items after completion is not really feasible as some players leave due to dc, and it's not fair in that case for them to end up with nothing. Another solution is to have a time interval (maybe a few mins?) between hosting/joining of games to encourage people to finish the map instead of spending those mins waiting - this suggestion is only for those who leave before completion. Not sure if it's workable, and I'm sure some players will not like it.

Also, instead of tagging the game, perhaps you can allow hosts to type a short title stating their goal for the game or something. I've seen that in other games.

Just my two cents worth.

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal.. Love leaves a memory no one can steal..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When will voting be released?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Reguarding the ao3.2 post.

I agree alot of people don't finish the level. If I join a random game I ask we do bosses. You can normally tell that most people will just want exp if the instantly pot up.

Also if u want to do bosses host your own game. Lower level people want to do the entire map.
    (Yes I killed a dev)
    Don't screw with the pew! (not literally) lol
    Active Toons: MoarPewPew,Enrages,PewPewJr
    I award Pew Points.(Keep Track!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Okay I think we need this now. I was in Balefort Sewers with 50+ party members except one level 23 who refused to leave, and died by fire trap and laid there dead. We spent way longer fighting Bandit King and Queen without another party member to help. Wasn't even reviving on the way there, just stood back and let everyone else do all the hard work. I was the only archer in the party and I was trying to compensate by buying some elixirs, but ran out of hp pots mid-battle.

This was on a no-host game, which many people are doing. Please bring this vote booting to light. Or restrict people from entering dungeons where it is not their minimum survival level.
    Last edited by Junside; 02-15-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah I was fighting king and queen the other day, and there was a lvl 48, also a lvl 28 Mage. 48 I can maybe accept, but 28 I said "28 is too low". Couldn't boot them so we tried to go ahead anyway. Only the queen was left when the 28 joined. When i said they were too low, they replied "but I'm a good healer". I said "we need dps". We had two mages already, and I knew with this setup we would never do enough damage to her, without pots. So the 28, I'll give some credit for not just lying there dead..but they did die over and over and over everytime I rezzed. There was nothing they could do to contribute because they couldnt even survive. We didn't put a dent in the queens Hp bar until the 28 gave up and left, and was replaced by an appropriate lvl bear.
    Kujen 56 Bird / Rahki 55 Bear / Silvanya 55 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have an other idea: if a new player comes in he has to wait 10 secs til he can take a pot. if he has taken it he cant be booted for 3 mins... cuz some players boot even if weaker r o pots and that cost gold and u dont get it back. the 10 freeze of the pots is for assuring u r not on pot when u r booted at the beginning

would be nice if u could take care of that

ty

Dog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What they need to do is not allow players to purchase lvls until they have met the min requirement. Perhaps a message that says you are not allowed to.purchase this map until min requirement is met. That would solve many low level.problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We need A feature that remebers to turn on minimum lvl. I hate presssing that button everytiem when i host a map

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Minimum level should be default.

The pot problem is a good one, it is unfair to boot people who have potted up, not sure how that can be answered : devs?

Also, could we have a 'description' So when we create a map, we can put a description, like 'Farming mobs'. 'Boss run'
    Could we also have a clear indicator of how much of the map is cleared. To stop the constant drop-ins

Whilst I can see how cool it would be to penalise people for abandoning maps, I have conversely been stuck with people who don't play a team game, and it ends in a shambles.
    Is it right to punish for somebody bailing then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmao View Post
    i have an other idea: if a new player comes in he has to wait 10 secs til he can take a pot. if he has taken it he cant be booted for 3 mins... cuz some players boot even if weaker r o pots and that cost gold and u dont get it back. the 10 freeze of the pots is for assuring u r not on pot when u r booted at the beginning

would be nice if u could take care of that

ty

Dog
    No. Sometimes you're in the middle of something and can't go and boot someone right away. This will just open up the possibility for low levels to stay in the game and leech.

Getting booted while having a pot happens less often than you think. If you don't want to get booted, create your own game. People who host games have the right to boot whomever they wish because it is their game. Maybe they're holding the spot for a friend or want a particular class to fill the spot.
    Last edited by Ayrilana; 02-20-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I leave a lot before bosses due to noobs who just want fast xp.. so tired of it
    Hello peeps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb

IMO the first two proposals are fine but this one is the one causing problems :

3) If you're in a game with no host, the boot button will initiate a 10 second vote. If at least half of the number of players that are in the game also vote to boot the player, the player will be ousted.
    Instead pass on the Host-role to the player who has been in the game the longest. Also put some kind of marker next to the host, so if a low-level is the host on a high-level map, high-levels have the option of quitting the map.