Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: When you were new..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts

Default When you were new..

When I was L16 and I thought Astrocat was a girl. Sad.
    Credits to Iady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

I have So many stories lol..

Took me a few week to figure out the auction houses in different towns sold the same items.

I tried to charge pet aa.

Blight was my best pet until season 4.

I think I used dex as main stat for more critical.

I thought I was the best Mage ever when I looted Ac-Dc staff in watchers tomb.

I just found out what "afk" means last season (I thought it meant something else, can't say it here )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Lol when i first started pvping i only ised my 4 skills...didnt even use pet aa bc i didnt know there was one....i pvpd for about 3 weeks before i actually found out how to use pet!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts

I distributed 4 str 2 dex and 1 int.
    My build was skyward smash, windmill, vengeful blood and juggernaut all maxed until lvl 36.
    I managed to kill rutger and bloodhammer with a fellow newbie rogue on duo.
    I took care of ny kdr until i met inan elite.
    Everytime i met a rogue, i always thought that rogue must be a girl in real life -.-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

I emailed support because gold kept disappearing from my character whenever I was in a map..... I didn't know pets ate gold. Support saved me further embarassment by not replying. I don't blame them for it, although I'm sure someone got a good chuckle.

Edit: Just for the record (and to not discourage new players) I personally don't think any of the things in this thread are dumb, merely part of the learning process that can be giggled about fondly a year and a half later.
    Last edited by Serancha; 08-02-2014 at 08:45 PM.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Serancha For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I started playing when the event last winter. I was not really enjoying it and the event was over. First up in the outpost traveler saw many ppl wearing ice armor. i wonder how to get ice armor. very cool. Explore town, then I try to figure it out in pvp in low level. yeah I got ganged up to over 20 times to death. at that time I only wear 'rare' gear and pet 'precious and barney'. then reaching level 10 I went to tarlok event. enter the portal and then got my chest and open the chest that got wintermancer versaility (epic). WOW .. finally I can use the clothes of ice .amazing btw I put glacial gem. (Noob).. ps: ( sold 10K in auc 2 month ago).. . then I met the person who gave me the "arcane deary" and taught me to buy the AUC. yeah .. I am very happy that only has pet "Precious and Barney". I have to say many thanks but he never online since lvl20 . About stats on point, once I input into int dex 30% and 10% when I was a warrior. haha ​​..
    About Luck, when it did not know about the loot re-rool and Lepre . Hoard in outpost occasionally ask, "what is it Lepre? but no answer. while it also did not know about the locked crate grand watch. How to get it? I try to open it . it turns out to be using plat..sigh. because I do not have platinum .. haha. btw nice thread I'm feelin Nub.

-----Sorry for my English-----

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serancha View Post
    Edit: Just for the record (and to not discourage new players) I personally don't think any of the things in this thread are dumb, merely part of the learning process that can be giggled about fondly a year and a half later.
    I agree, just shows that most players go through the same hiccups along the way. I've enjoyed reading all of these, I've smiled countless times while shaking my head in agreement. I've made a ton of these "mistakes" it's been a crazy fun journey so far!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

<------ forever a noob
    and also....i gave away 10 lockeds i looted in s3.... it was worth 150k in total.........just cus i couldnt open it and didnt know how to check prices
    From mortal hope springs immortal power
    toons: goebejake rogue, saltspear mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    242 Posts

It took me about two weeks to find out how to make the my comments green.

I was in the guild for a week by then. Until then I thought, everybody reads/writes global, so I assumed the green color has hirarchy reasons. This obvious didn't make any sense, since it was impossible that all the german speaking guys are the bosses in AL *facepalm* ((HvH is a german guild FIY and so of course was the guild chat)).

Since that day, when a new member doesn't speak up for the first 2 minutes I explain /g is for guild chat
    Last edited by Frohnatur; 08-02-2014 at 09:41 PM.

>->->-> Oldest & Finest German Guild in AL -- A Legend itself <-<-<-<
    Tipps, Tricks, Guides und mehr ---> heldenvonheute.forumatic.com

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frohnatur For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    275 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serancha View Post
    I emailed support because gold kept disappearing from my character whenever I was in a map..... I didn't know pets ate gold. Support saved me further embarassment by not replying. I don't blame them for it, although I'm sure someone got a good chuckle.

The Contrast between you, Who are one of the smartest players in game, and that,no offense,quite stupid mistake made me lol
    Buuuut,i'm still a noob do i should'nt really talk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Nothing too funny, but here are mine:

Tried to charge pet skills
    Was really happy when I looted Deary and I leveled it a lot
    Didn't know that you don't gain xp at brackenridge when you're a higher level
    Didn't know the difference between twink and newbie
    Liquidated all of my legendaries after getting new ones
    Last edited by aquascaper; 08-02-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

3 weeks before i had my biggest fail in al history i play since season 1 but i only know since 3 weeks that items in auction have numbers i always counted the items lol

Goodfella: Lvl 41 Warrior
    Nicone: Lvl 36 Mage
    Goodfellapvp Lvl 21 Rogue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

I did not know twink had a different meaning in this game when I first started.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ravager For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ravager View Post
    I did not know twink had a different meaning in this game when I first started.
    Same lol ._.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ninjasmurf For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    769 Posts

I used to think Mythic > Arcane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts

Back in the day I had my Flap Jack pet, it was worth 60k

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts

Back in S2 I thought Arcane/Mythic items were so rare that nobody I had seen up til that point even had 1. Then in s3 when they added Myth/Arcane gear I was like Wut 0.o
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

When i was lvl 10, someone sell to me villainous watch armor lvl 10 for 500 gold only. And only me use that armor at that time (before nordr expansion). So people always ask me to sell it. And some people always going to catch and pm me to get the armor. I feel like artist with cool armor. XD

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

When I first started in S2....

I put 2 stat points into int str and dex for every level until a random town warrior told me I shuld just focus on one: namely strength. With the 7 plat I started out with I respeced, got myself 6 str points for every level, made it to l20, got into elite brackenridge forest and started the timer and instantly got 1 hit by the very first mob and I ragequit...I used to think I was such a damn strong mage (strength = musclemage right?) until that run

When I got my first guild invite, the GM told me to go full int. I cussed him out saying he was a dumb noob and that str was for pro mages like me and unlike him (he was a mage too)! Luckily he didn't get pissed, he convinced me that I'd be more "clever" if I put points in int - brain > brawn right?

When I first got into watcher's tomb I immediately got lost and got downright creeped out by the message I got from wt4 (I hadn't unlocked the previous tombs). Finally, I got into WT1, started the timer and took about 10 minutes using no pots to clear it. Was I proud!

When I finally reached kraag, I was like "OMG 3 auctions!!" - I knew of them from a travelers outpost rogue who told me I could buy stuff and make myself "cleverer" from them, LOL! I immediately checked all 3 auctions and spent all my gold on cinder from one (6k), then went to the next one and did a happy jig because the cinder there was 7k! I actually pm'd the lister saying I got a better deal from another cs...good thing he didn't respond

When I hit 20 I was like "HOLY CRAP SO MUCH XP TO GET TO 21!!"...which was when double xp showed up so I ground wt4 hard with 10 mins a run till I finally capped.

Then I decided to retry elites and ran rooks nest...run was more than 10 minutes but I looted a Malison!!!!! It was about 500k IG if I remember rightly. I was so proud of it I opened it.

Next expansion I slowly capped and was super excited when PvP came out. Thus, I entered it rocking my Malison and epic gear...and immediately got 1 hit (by blakadder, coincidentally. Lol!). I then decided it was capture the flag so I would DEFEND THE DAMN FLAG! So me and a like-minded rogue stood at the entrance of the spawn ready with our defense build...her traps and my clock!!

At l26 or l31 cap (not sure) I entered AF and had a damn good time in there! By the time it disbanded, I was much wiser than the nooby mage I was. Then Epitome of Excellence came along.

A guildie convinced me to drop my fire clock gale curse build and get fire, light, shield, heal. I refused saying "shield sucks!" Finally the co-GM Asterox convinced me to get that build...and I did. This was by S4. Thus began my journey into proness. I did, however, start my early pvping days as a horrible noob; convinced I was going to get on the APs leaderboard, I went PvP regularly to try and get my 100 kills APs. The time I had in there was horrible; I did however manage to meet my goal and get 100 PvP kills...and 1k PvP deaths. Which is why to this day my kdr is still positive by a miniscule margin.

When EOE merged with SK in the end of S4, my days of hardcore PvP really began. I began to actually enjoy PvP as a non mythic mage and managed to amass about 5k kills by the end of S5. This is how I became who I am today

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alhuntrazeck For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

I guess I'm lucky as I did not go through any of these learning experiences in AL having played PL for almost a year prior to playing AL, and since both use the same game interface and mostly the same ideas, I pretty much understood everything.

However, when I started playing PL, here are some of the things I did that are laughable now:

1) I did not realize you could teleport from the world map, so I would run everywhere map by map. If I needed to get to the third dungeon in a campaign to do a quest, I would fight my way through the first two. Only later on did I realize you could just join the third dungeon directly from the world map. In PL all the towns are interconnected (without having to pass through dungeons to get from one town to the next), so I guess running everywhere just seemed like that is how it should be, and many RPGs are like this.

2) I did not understand the color rarity differences, and I'm sure I liquidated many pinks if they weren't useful to me or they were lower level. It wasn't until I was level 40+ (maybe after 2+ months of playing) that I realized what color rarity meant and realized I could sell the pink items I looted. I remember the first pink I looted after I knew they were good was a level 45 Zuraz Shock Lance, which I used for about 2 months until I leveled up to 55 and got some gemstone gear. It was only later on when I was told how rare the Zuraz was (rare like looting an arcane item from an elite golden chest, something that rarely happens). I remember finally selling the Zuraz for 95k, and this was a level 45 weapon that was NOT discontinued (it still dropped from bosses), and I was selling it during the level 66 cap. So that just tells you how rare it was.

3) Having never played an MMO before (I was an old pre-internet RPG player though), I did not know what guilds were, and kept turning down invitations to join them as I did not realize there was such a thing as guild chat, and so the idea of a guild seemed like it would be no more useful than just keeping your friends on your friends list. It was only later after playing for a few months that someone explained this to me and I finally joined a guild.

4) I did not know about this forum and did not join the forum until I had been playing the game for 4-5 months! That was my biggest noob mistake of all!
    Last edited by Energizeric; 08-02-2014 at 11:59 PM.