Thread: K:D Ratios are awful, I suggest something better

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default K:D Ratios are awful, I suggest something better

[Disclaimer]: I'm writing this post quickly so excuse me if it seems hard to follow. I think the concepts are simple enough, but I'm happy to elaborate on any of it.

TLDR: K/D is a poor way to either display skill or deter players from dying, but it is the only system we have to accomplish these things. I propose a new and better system in it's place, and to completely remove both PvP and PvE K/D ratios. (Seriously give me one good reason not to)

Kills v Deaths is a pointless statistic. It prioritizes the wrong things, is easily manipulated, and tells you little to nothing about how good a player actually is. It's not only useless, it's also damaging in that it causes players to lose sight of what is actually important. You're incentivizing players to do stupid, meaningless things like leeching and boosting just by displaying the ratio. You can't honestly tell me that you think it's a good indicator of any type of skill whatsoever.

In my opinion, you should remove K/D for both PvP and PvE and come up with a better way to penalize deaths and reward effective playing.

I think that K/D is meant to do two things:

1. Act as a deterrent to dying, because other than this pointless stat, there is no deterrent.

2. Gives players something to show off and acts (very poorly) as an indicator of skill. (Or is at least perceived by some to be an indicator of skill)

If we are to properly substitute a new system, we should do so while maintaining these two facets of PL gameplay.

PvE:
    I suggest that for PvE, players should suffer gold loss upon death. Requirement 1 is satisfied as this will deter players from dying repeatedly. I would argue that gold loss actually accomplishes this better than K/D, because it reduces some of the stress or fear of dying and of having a permanent mark on your 'record' per death. Players will be more willing to do their jobs and risk dying, rather than playing it safe and letting the rest of the team die instead. Yet, no one will want to die repeatedly because they won't want to go broke. The amount of gold lost should be substantial, but not too severe.

I don't think that there is a stat that will fulfill Requirement 2 in PvE. You just can't make a rating that displays anything like skill at fighting computer controlled monsters. I think players accomplish this instead by collecting rare and powerful gear. As it stands, there isn't a whole lot of equipment in this game for players to show off. Shadow Caves may have been a good step in the right direction, but the terribly botched release of the dungeon, giving every player and their grandma a full set on patch day, greatly reduced the worth of those items. But my point is that the whole desire to show off one's epeen, which persists so strongly in MMOs, is best accomplished by attaining this sort of gear, not by showing how many deaths you managed to avoid, and how many lvl 1 mobs you wasted hours of your life killing.

PvP:
    You might think that a K/D ratio for PvP makes more sense and that it would actually be a good stat to have here, but i fully disagree. Not all classes were made with the same capacity to kill, and some are designed to support others as well as killing. Futhermore, ranged classes and classes with more AOE abilities are better geared to getting last hits. Giving kills to only the player who gets the killing blow drastically skews the credibility of this stat, because then the goal is not to outplay opponents, but merely to snipe the last hit from your teammates. PvP in this game is largely a team effort.

PvP is a little trickier to solve than PvE, because the current PvP system is pretty primitive, and lacks the infrastructure for a real, ratable PvP experience. The objective in arena fights should be to win. Now, I know you're going to say "Wooooaah Kiberian, that already is the point of arena PvP! Dude lol you win after 10 kills man." But no. Winning isn't the objective, padding your ratio is. Winning or losing is just something that happens after 10 kills, but it has no real effect on the game. People need to have incentives, and without incentives, you're just putting in empty, meaningless content.

I suggest that you try to orient the focus of PvP back toward your team actually winning the game. This is difficult to do because of how unstable the current PvP infrastructure is (Allowing people to join games midway, allowing games to begin before both teams have enough players, allowing players that join to see both the players and score on both sides and to actually CHOOSE (are you serious?) which side they want to play on.) Assuming some other changes to make PvP actually feel legitimate, and not like some side thing you just sort of threw in there, a ratio of wins v losses seems more informative.

It's hard for me to talk too much about PvP, because as I have said, I think the whole PvP system needs a rehaul. However, i think counting team W/L accomplishes both Requirements 1 and 2, incentivizing players not to die in order to win the game, and they still have their snazzy stat to show off.

So there. I think other incentives could be put in place which would be of much greater value than a K/D ratio, but these are just some that seem simple and obvious to me. Please ask questions or give suggestions, let's start a dialogue.
    Last edited by Kiberian; 01-17-2011 at 12:34 AM.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I kind of agree about the PVP KDR. If there was no KDR people wouldn't bother boosting, there would be a lot less quitters too. They at least should remove it from CTF and any future objective games, because then people would go for the flags without worrying about their ratio.

I don't agree with the idea of a PVE death penalty though. Any kind of death penalty would make people hold back more, beyond just being cautious....bears won't taunt because they might get aggro and die, etc. Also I couldn't care less about how many PVE deaths I have, but I do care about my gold lol. I think a lot of people feel the same regarding PVE ratios, I don't hold back out of fear of getting a death on my stats.
    Last edited by Kujen; 01-17-2011 at 01:19 AM.
    Kujen 56 Bird / Rahki 55 Bear / Silvanya 55 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

remove arena k/d i agree .. that would really anoy every booster id love that
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11145&dateline=130178  8828

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

I don't play PvP but I agree with the fact that ratios do promote unwarranted and unfair competition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just because your kd is.... Ok ill stop there.
    Like this hasnt been suggested... Well...Arena kills and deaths can be off and on?
    IGN: Skellerkrunch(50), Hawkrobin(50), Magiclegends(50), Oktal(45), Bladesword(45), mamccroc(35) Plothozz(30), Lechomp(20), Oktal (20), Monseiurlebow(20), Tharef(20), Smackolantern(19),

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my KD ratio is messed up since i reached A03.
    Had only 37 deaths when reaching AO3. Currently (after shadow update, Vyxnaar hunting) im at 300+
    Level 54 -- Level 07 -- Level 50
    Ursanblessing - Icannotres - Birdinpink
    Warrior --- Mage --- Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

K/D is in alot of games, i think its a good way to see personally how good ur build is doing, if u need to change things up or if your improveing. I do aggree some characters can kill faster then others.. so yeaaa pvp "skill" shouldnt be based on kills alone. Maybe with a FPS but not with a MMORPG. Hopefully when a guild system comes out they can have a whole pvp system with it :P
    Characters- GreekMuscle LvL 50 Pure Int Mage (Shadow) GreekMusclez LvL 50 Pure Dex Bird (Void/Shadow/Sunblessed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ursanblessing View Post
    my KD ratio is messed up since i reached A03.
    Had only 37 deaths when reaching AO3. Currently (after shadow update, Vyxnaar hunting) im at 300+
    My tank had 3.5K kills, 10 deaths when I entered ao3 (ik, mynas gen kills) now he has 5K kills, 600 deaths. That's when I was doing ol runs in ao2 gear. Deleted him though, he's a scrap character now. Waste of space. Wish I could get something out of my 2.8K pvp kills though >.>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally like my k/d ratio, and feel that it shouldn't be taken out because of boosters being boosters. I think there is an easy way to deter them, death on disconnect, and locked games do not count. Granted, locked games are sometimes for people who want to just have fun with friends, but unfortunately that's the price that is payed for removal of said boosters. A k/d ratio to me says how good you are, as long as you don't boost, and without this I don't think I would pvp anymore. What's the point to killing someone if you don't get jack and end up wasting your time not getting any rewards or kills/deaths?

Also, I hate death penalties. They scare the whole team until somebody takes aggro. Try not dieing once in victory lap and you will get my point. And noobs have a hard time in the dark forest! Who wants to lose gold because your new? I have a hard time when I play on my questing char, because after the zombies in forest haven, you have almost no potion drops and have to have tremendous kiting skills and quick wits, not to mention knowing all the controls to the game! This would discourage a ton of newbies from joining and promoting the greatest game ever.

Thanks for looking and happy pl!

/end rant
    Blasterbird- lvl 20 twink
    Intbird- Main acc
    Soloed- new acc, soloing to 50.

Need a twink build? Ask here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bladesword View Post
    Just because your kd is.... Ok ill stop there.
    Like this hasnt been suggested... Well...Arena kills and deaths can be off and on?
    My K/D is relatively high, and probably well above average. Thanks for the mature response though. Did you even read my post?

Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBird View Post
    I personally like my k/d ratio, and feel that it shouldn't be taken out because of boosters being boosters.
    Yeah, why would we remove a system that is easily abused? You also fail to tell me what is redeeming about the current system. Just that you "like" it. Which to me implies that you have no idea why you like it, and people like this are part of the problem. Sometimes you have to ignore what players think they want, and give them what is actually functional.

I think there is an easy way to deter them, death on disconnect, and locked games do not count. Granted, locked games are sometimes for people who want to just have fun with friends, but unfortunately that's the price that is payed for removal of said boosters.

A k/d ratio to me says how good you are, as long as you don't boost, and without this I don't think I would pvp anymore.
    That's just fundamentally wrong. I could go on about why, but I'll just give you a few reasons and hopefully you can connect the dots.

-It doesn't track skill over time or account for improvement. If a player begins poorly, those deaths are permanent. If they improve, their ratio will climb (extremely) slowly, but will not accurately display how good they currently are.

-It doesn't tell you what someone is killing or dying to. This is obvious.

-It shifts the focus of the game toward killing a mass amount of things, rather than killing the right things. It also prioritizes saving your own *** instead of doing your job.

What's the point to killing someone if you don't get jack and end up wasting your time not getting any rewards or kills/deaths?
    You're obviously missing the point of my post. You do still receive a reward, in fact that is what about HALF of the thread was about.

Also, I hate death penalties. They scare the whole team until somebody takes aggro. Try not dieing once in victory lap and you will get my point. And noobs have a hard time in the dark forest! Who wants to lose gold because your new? I have a hard time when I play on my questing char, because after the zombies in forest haven, you have almost no potion drops and have to have tremendous kiting skills and quick wits, not to mention knowing all the controls to the game! This would discourage a ton of newbies from joining and promoting the greatest game ever.
    If that's not circular logic I don't know what is. A mark on your record is permanent, so each death matters. This is a death penalty, and in my opinion, more severe than some small gold loss, because you can just make the gold back. I'm not talking about a huge gold loss, just the cost of living. Other games do this successfully, and if you need an example, just look at WoW.