Thread: This idea = sts makes $$$ + makes customers happy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Default This idea = sts makes $$$ + makes customers happy

Quote Originally Posted by jinathedemo View Post
    How about this one:
    Nobody would want to go online on a server Where nothing they do counts in the actual game.
    Atleast not if it Costs something...
    Also, you forget that a major part of the playerbase is kids.
    I'm enjoying the test server for the exact reason you said nobody would go on it. The auction is screwed up, arcane rings are 15m, and where I have 1m gold in the real game, I made 200m in about 15 min.

It was awesome. Having more fun doing random runs and doing the new arena than I've ever had. Just because I could sell all my secondary gear, all my collectible vanities, and suit myself up in an arcane/mythic equip. None of the decisions I made with my money mattered, I gave 50m to random players begging for some because everything is temporary.

The sense of being able to do anything and not feel the consequences in the long run is at the heart of what makes the "test" server fun.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Those who say it cannot be done should not stop those who are doing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    322 Posts

Jina has a point, regarding charging for the test server but for those who wish to pay to use it for a few days, sure why not

Renting items would be cool (need to clarify your views about pets cause thats more abuseable than items) but is it good for STS? will people open less crates cause they can rent?

Or will they open more crates cause they rented, saw how awesome arcane ring is and now must have it, only by trial you can know this, impossible to tell the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    275 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor View Post
    Yes they would, it's called having fun.

Is this in your opinion? Because I haven't seen anything that says the majority of AL playbase are kids.
    Maybe not the majority, but a big part, and there is also another big part that don't want to pay for a game...
    Also, I dont quite see the fun in getting Items for free just to test.
    Maybe it is just me, but the joy you feel after upgrading your mythic helm, wich took you hours, is not quite compareable to getting free stuff and running around with stuff you have not really deserved by farming.
    If people want this server, fine, but i really think it removes the fun a bit...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts

How about this one:
    Nobody would want to go online on a server Where nothing they do counts in the actual game.
    Atleast not if it Costs something...
    Also, you forget that a major part of the playerbase is kids.
    Most of the base is adults, trust me XD

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluidShot View Post
    I'm enjoying the test server for the exact reason you said nobody would go on it. The auction is screwed up, arcane rings are 15m, and where I have 1m gold in the real game, I made 200m in about 15 min.

It was awesome. Having more fun doing random runs and doing the new arena than I've ever had. Just because I could sell all my secondary gear, all my collectible vanities, and suit myself up in an arcane/mythic equip. None of the decisions I made with my money mattered, I gave 50m to random players begging for some because everything is temporary.

The sense of being able to do anything and not feel the consequences in the long run is at the heart of what makes the "test" server fun.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    What you are describing is vacation. The main game requires work to get what you want but here you get all the fun without any of the stress. But it is only rewarding because it is temporary. Everyone wants to spend a week in Hawaii but luckily not everyone wants to live there.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FluffNStuff For This Useful Post:

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

It's not a bad idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    935 Posts

Just to clarify, the downloads records record how many times the game was downloaded, and the counter doesn't diminish as users uninstall the app. In actuality, i would generously say there are ~500,000-1,500,000 active players around today

IGN: Łʊƈɨƒɛʀ
    Join the Discord Community!
    Arcane Legends Discord

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjasmurf View Post
    1 example:

I could make an alt and buy a Samael egg then rent it to my main every 3 days until I decide to sell it without using any gold. So it's like a free arcane pet.

Also with renting items it would actually lower the amount if crates being opened because friends can share their arcanes without worrying about getting scammed. (Which is a good thing, but there would be no point in spending gold on arcanes when you can just share them with a friend)
    This is an old argument that has been used over and over for many years, and has been proven wrong. If you study advertising and marketing, you learn how wrong this assumption is.

A few examples:

When television was invented, movie producers objected to movies being shown on television since they assumed nobody would ever go to the movies if they could just sit home and watch movies. Instead, the opposite happened and movie attendance increased.

When baseball games started being broadcast on the radio (and later on television), many team owners assumed nobody would come to games anymore. Instead attendance went way up as the broadcasts exposed many more people to baseball and served to increase the fan base.

Music sales have only increased since music has been available to stream for free on the internet.

You could argue that by giving out free samples of food at the supermarket, nobody needs to actually buy the product as they could just keep coming back for free samples. But people like convenience, and the free sample just works as an advertisement for buying the actual product.

First of all, there will be a fee for renting which would serve as a gold sink. I think we all agree that nobody is going to rent cheap gear. So let's make the minimum listing fee for renting an item 10k + 30% of the fee being charged. Let's make this a good gold sink.

Also, let's make it so that you must rent from the rental shop. You cannot do a private trade and avoid the listing fee like you can when you sell gear to someone.

So if you want to rent that arcane egg to your alt, you are going to have to list it in the rental shop and you are going to have to pay at least 10k listing fee each time. Also remember that each time you hatch it on your alt, it is going to begin back at level 1, so you will have to level the pet up again and again. I think over time you will learn it is not so convenient, but only a good way to test it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zylx View Post
    Just to clarify, the downloads records record how many times the game was downloaded, and the counter doesn't diminish as users uninstall the app. In actuality, i would generously say there are ~500,000-1,500,000 active players around today
    Lol no way! There's definately under 100k people that actually play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    935 Posts

Lol no way! There's definately under 100k people that actually play.
    generously

IGN: Łʊƈɨƒɛʀ
    Join the Discord Community!
    Arcane Legends Discord

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    This is an old argument that has been used over and over for many years, and has been proven wrong. If you study advertising and marketing, you learn how wrong this assumption is.

A few examples:

When television was invented, movie producers objected to movies being shown on television since they assumed nobody would ever go to the movies if they could just sit home and watch movies. Instead, the opposite happened and movie attendance increased.

When baseball games started being broadcast on the radio (and later on television), many team owners assumed nobody would come to games anymore. Instead attendance went way up as the broadcasts exposed many more people to baseball and served to increase the fan base.

Music sales have only increased since music has been available to stream for free on the internet.

You could argue that by giving out free samples of food at the supermarket, nobody needs to actually buy the product as they could just keep coming back for free samples. But people like convenience, and the free sample just works as an advertisement for buying the actual product.

First of all, there will be a fee for renting which would serve as a gold sink. I think we all agree that nobody is going to rent cheap gear. So let's make the minimum listing fee for renting an item 10k + 30% of the fee being charged. Let's make this a good gold sink.

Also, let's make it so that you must rent from the rental shop. You cannot do a private trade and avoid the listing fee like you can when you sell gear to someone.

So if you want to rent that arcane egg to your alt, you are going to have to list it in the rental shop and you are going to have to pay at least 10k listing fee each time. Also remember that each time you hatch it on your alt, it is going to begin back at level 1, so you will have to level the pet up again and again. I think over time you will learn it is not so convenient, but only a good way to test it out.
    Lol. Why would someone buy a lvl 1 pet to test for 12 hours-3 day. You can't actually test it until it's at least lvl 40 (To see passive, aa, etc).

With renting items, do you really think 10k means anything to rich players? We already know about people abusing damage elixr in PvP which cost 10k everytime you die.

I'll explain it again, here's a scenerio.

I have an arcane ring. One of my friends pms me " can I rent your arcane ring for 12 hours?" I reply, "sure just pay me for the listing fee and go into auction". We trade, he gives me the listing fee cost and I put it in auction for 1k. Posting it this low the cost is what, 100g? So whenever my friend wants to use my arcane ring he pays me 1.1k (so I don't have to use gold xD )and gets it without worrying about any scam. Why would he open crates when he can use my ring while I'm offline? Who would pay 100m+ for the ring when they can rent for 1.1k or less from a friend?

Same thing with the arcane egg I could post for 1k on alt and since I'm the only one that knows when it's being posted I can buy it faster than anyone else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

generously
    :-p

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    What you are describing is vacation. The main game requires work to get what you want but here you get all the fun without any of the stress. But it is only rewarding because it is temporary. Everyone wants to spend a week in Hawaii but luckily not everyone wants to live there.
    Exactly. I was responding to a statement which referenced that nobody would want to go on this test server, when the initial idea was that the test server be online once a year or so.
    In your analogy, they were saying they wouldn't even want to take a vacation. I was saying I'm enjoying the vacation because it is temporary. Not that I want the normal servers to be like this all the time, I'm enjoying the change of pace. And let's face it, everyone loves a vacation.
    I appreciate you clarifying my point.

Those who say it cannot be done should not stop those who are doing it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FluidShot For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Why everyone is talking about lending out pets, that's useless since u can't open the egg because u have to return it. This is for lending out cool weapons or other gear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    275 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluidShot View Post
    Exactly. I was responding to a statement which referenced that nobody would want to go on this test server, when the initial idea was that the test server be online once a year or so.
    In your analogy, they were saying they wouldn't even want to take a vacation. I was saying I'm enjoying the vacation because it is temporary. Not that I want the normal servers to be like this all the time, I'm enjoying the change of pace. And let's face it, everyone loves a vacation.
    I appreciate you clarifying my point.
    Not to try and drive this further, but do you understand what i mean when i say that i dont see the point in getting something free instead of working for it, since the happiness you get by getting a item that you have put time into is Worth more for you?
    I love vacations, but the entire AL is a "vacation" from the real world, and why on earth would someone that is on vacation think the vacation is to stressy and go On a double vacation? See my point?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Lol. Why would someone buy a lvl 1 pet to test for 12 hours-3 day. You can't actually test it until it's at least lvl 40 (To see passive, aa, etc).

With renting items, do you really think 10k means anything to rich players? We already know about people abusing damage elixr in PvP which cost 10k everytime you die.

I'll explain it again, here's a scenerio.

I have an arcane ring. One of my friends pms me " can I rent your arcane ring for 12 hours?" I reply, "sure just pay me for the listing fee and go into auction". We trade, he gives me the listing fee cost and I put it in auction for 1k. Posting it this low the cost is what, 100g? So whenever my friend wants to use my arcane ring he pays me 1.1k (so I don't have to use gold xD )and gets it without worrying about any scam. Why would he open crates when he can use my ring while I'm offline? Who would pay 100m+ for the ring when they can rent for 1.1k or less from a friend?

Same thing with the arcane egg I could post for 1k on alt and since I'm the only one that knows when it's being posted I can buy it faster than anyone else.
    Then maybe there should not be a 12 hours or 24 hours option. How about just having a standard 3 day rental period. That would discourage players from renting/lending their items back and forth. Remember that the rented item becomes untradable, so if the original owner asks for it back early, you could not return it to him even if you wanted to.

As for eggs, the purpose or renting a pet would be to try it out, not to actually get good use from it. And yes, I would love to rent a samael egg to try him out. I would spend the first day or two leveling him up to 40, and then I would try him out in PvP. And then if I really liked him, maybe I would be persuaded to actually buy a Samael Egg and hatch it. And that would indeed encourage more crate opening even if I was not the one opening the crates. Remember that the less arcane eggs there are in circulation, the more prices on eggs will go up and the more people will want to open crates to loot them. So anyone who hatches an arcane egg is helping encourage more locked crates to be opened.
    Last edited by Energizeric; 08-16-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

I'm pretty sure that STS made some money from this test server (indirectly of course). Many players, including myself, have never had access to 2k plat. However, some of the players who haven't bought any yet may have decided to buy some after trying out 2k plat and really enjoying the experience of having so much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    Then maybe there should not be a 12 hours or 24 hours option. How about just having a standard 3 day rental period. That would discourage players from renting/lending their items back and forth. Remember that the rented item becomes untradable, so if the original owner asks for it back early, you could not return it to him even if you wanted to.

As for eggs, the purpose or renting a pet would be to try it out, not to actually get good use from it. And yes, I would love to rent a samael egg to try him out. I would spend the first day or two leveling him up to 40, and then I would try him out in PvP. And then if I really liked him, maybe I would be persuaded to actually buy a Samael Egg and hatch it. And that would indeed encourage more crate opening even if I was not the one opening the crates. Remember that the less arcane eggs there are in circulation, the more prices on eggs will go up and the more people will want to open crates to loot them. So anyone who hatches an arcane egg is helping encourage more locked crates to be opened.
    Ok nvm you don't understand my point

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

About rentals...

This will not work for eggs. And maybe the rental fee should be based on rarity for gear.

However, I wouldn't want to see this for player to player anyway. Sts to player may be ok.

Anyway, back on topic.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rare; 08-16-2014 at 03:21 PM.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Not to try and drive this further, but do you understand what i mean when i say that i dont see the point in getting something free instead of working for it, since the happiness you get by getting a item that you have put time into is Worth more for you?
    I love vacations, but the entire AL is a "vacation" from the real world, and why on earth would someone that is on vacation think the vacation is to stressy and go On a double vacation? See my point?
    This server thing isn't going to be on 24/7, 7 days a week. It'll be a sort of an exclusive event, happening maybe once a year or so. And sorry, I don't see your point.