Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GUIDE: How to Tank Properly and Shed the Noob Bear Status!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Doesn't this deserve a sticky?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great post Baked-Potato! Very useful information!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Great guide. Thanks a lot helped me tank better. People dont die as much around me as they used to :P I'm 39 lvl with all Iceberg(hatchet) and Snowcap of legend. All teams I have played with, the bears mostly beckon and stomp for crowd and it looks effective(Play mostly AO). I had read the guide earlier or rather misread it and used to taunt the mob and then go to some corner. Mostly never helped so I came back to the beckon and stomp approach. Now rereading it, I will try running to the corner and then Taunt and see what happens. Also is there some clan or something where people play properly I could learn a lot practising with them in battle. Nick - Lupiv

Could someone please come out with a guide on equipments and which best to use at what levels or something for bears real big ask as there are many but I'm sure many would appreciate it( Havent seen one, If its there then my apologies and the link please). Real confused as to what items to use all the stats just confuse me more lol. People say something about armour breaking. I tried comparing D'Jinn of legend and the Iceberg hatchet stats wise 2nd is better also on fighting and comparing I found it to be better. Armour breaking thing wasnt there or am I missing something.(Apologies if I put this up in the wrong thread)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

maybe you made some kind error, but this is what you posted:

"The Corner
    This technique allows you in bunching together a great number of enemies and allowing AoE skills to inflict the most damage on the most amount of possible enemies. To start, have a corner in mind that you would like to run to. Run to it and cast Taunt to gain aggro so enemies don't attack your party. This also allows the further enemies from the corner to follow you allowing you to grab the highest amount of enemies. Next, when you reach the corner, cast Beckon to draw all the enemies around you in the corner. If done correctly, you should have most of the enemies in the area around you bundled together.
    As Beckon cools down and become available, along with taunt, USE THEM! Doing this ensures all enemies stay in the corner and don't go off attacking your party.

If the boss/enemies move out of the corner, cast Beckon if they are in range to gather them back around you. If they are further away, you could follow them a tad bit, cast Beckon and then Stomp (only use Stomp if all/most of the enemies are between you and the corner, otherwise they will be spreaded throughout the room).

IMPORTANT Do not, I repeat do not use Stomp!! If you do, you will only make the enemies go flying around the room!
    "

I recommend that you DO use Stomp.
    Just like your part about the boss, as long you use beckon and the mobs are between you and the wall... USE IT. And run to the next wall, even if the mobs are not death (let the others finish it) so you can already move the next group of mobs to a save wall/corner. This will result in a happy party!!.
    Last edited by Ursanblessing; 02-24-2011 at 09:41 AM.
    Level 54 -- Level 07 -- Level 50
    Ursanblessing - Icannotres - Birdinpink
    Warrior --- Mage --- Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This guide had help me alot! Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Does the crushed combo still work?? I have tried a bunch and can't get it to register.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A new combo, recently released in 1.6/1.7
    forgot what it is called, but it is beckon + stomp.

and yes, I still have to change my profile pic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Lol freaking Jedi pull... If I remember any of Royce's saying or teachings, it will be that.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I just wanna say thanks for this guide. I hard just started a bear to build as a tank before the server went down. So reading this I have a better understanding what to do when PL comes back up. Thanks again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This is useful but I prefer:

Hybrid STR/DEX: 173 STR rest DEX to Tank with...

I would love to post my Skill layout and how I spend my skill points but I can't remember how I used them -.-'
    Hello peeps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah I read up on the other guide for that build and decided to go with that. Good stuff.
    Owner of the darkavenger franchise.

Check all my characters out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tank bears def need to read this thread! It drives me crazy when playing sewers and 2 bears are flinging mobs across the room.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Angrybird View Post
    Tank bears def need to read this thread! It drives me crazy when playing sewers and 2 bears are flinging mobs across the room.
    In addition to Baked-Potato/Xenile's excellent guide, I suggest any tanks-in-training should watch Ellyidol's video on how to properly taunt, beckon and stomp (TBS). Key thing is to beckon into an available wall.

Further, two or more bears can play very successfully. The most important thing is to remember who is taking point and let that bear take aggro and beckon. The second bear can help with a backup stomp, however, if there's still a lot of life left in the mob, the second bear can then back up the first bear with another TBS. It's a matter of coordination, being aware of what the point bear is doing and being a useful backup. Often point and backup roles swap throughout the run for one reason or another. In those instances, have respect for the other bear to take over/give up point as necessary.

While I don't see him online to comment, this is the sort of "back and forth" Jackychiu's bear (Talon/Shield set) and I (Customized set) will do. The same goes whenever I have the pleasure to run with Mr. Wallace. Together, we'll leave nice small tight mob packages for the accompanying archers and mages to wallop. That makes for a very fast, safe and successful run.
    Last edited by neko; 05-11-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    AL : Blewe | Corrvus | Urrsus
    PL : Anichelith | Corrvus | Urrsus | Rrhino
    Member of Average Joes and C.O.T.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to admit, this was the go to guide for me when I started off. I learned quickly that other players appreciate a good tank so thank you for putting this guide together!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I rate this...10/10! It must've taken you a while to make this guide...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

thanks man for the guide.... too many people look at bears as if they are inferior to other classes. I personally love the bear
    Currahee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank-you potato, as a New bear this is much appreciated!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks so much for this guide Baked-Potato, I too had no idea how to play a bear as a tank. After reading this guide, respec-ing, and watching higher lvl tanks and their tactics, this really helped me to appreciate the role of my bear as a pure Tank. BTW, the Walls tactic is amazing! I just did a run with a high lvl tank and in nearly every mob he used this strategy and I now know when and where to apply it correctly. Great stuff in this guide here! Kudos and hats off to you!
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=55865&dateline=131140  7718
    IGN:kaijustorm(lvl 30 pure Avian archer) Satchemow(lvl 17 Ursan Tank) Jimmychips(lvl 14 DexMage)