Thread: To MacPro or not to MacPro???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default To MacPro or not to MacPro???

Im contemplating to buy the Mac Pro 15” and I have been a PC user all my life…

There are definitely pros and cons but to learning a new operating system I think it might be a pain in the butt… what you guys think? PC is just so easy but the MacPro looks sooooo sexy…. I just think the learning curve is a bit steep… I know there are tutorials and stuff online but might take a while….

I basically use it for email, surfing web, syncing iTunes… basically that’s it. Yes I am a money waster.

The specs Im thinking if I get it are:

2.8GHz Intel Core i7
    8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display

What do u guys think?
    IGN: Inching

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

First off, Mac Pro and MacBOOK Pro, two different things.
    I would say definitely go for the macbook pro though, it is a great laptop and you will love it! I have had mine for almost 3 years now, and it is still as fast as the day I opened it. Being a PC user for all my life basically, I find this awesome, not having to really care and manage the operating system. Since the OS X is built on a UNIX kernel, which is very strong (Used in Solarus Systems) and doesn't clog up unlike Microsoft's unstable kernel. AND if you don't like mac os x, you can always return it, OR buy parallels or a copy of your favorite windows operating system and CONGRATS! You just bought yourself a RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE PC LAPTOP! Dare I say, more expensive then alienware? Btw... Macbook pro battery life is great! You will be finding ways to try and run down the battery on purpose, which is how great it is. Unlike on most PC laptops, your going to have to search for an outlet ever 2 hours or so.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I was comparing the Mac Book vs Mac Book Pro, and the only difference seemed to be the memory and the looks. Correct me if I'm wrong, must have been something I missed.

I've also been wanting to actually switch to a mac from a PC. From what I've heard its virus free and such?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

that is true... I emant MacBook Pro

15" or 17"? the price difference is like nothing but the portability of the 17" is not very good.

Do you game on the laptop, is it any good? Will it fry the CPU?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Inching View Post
    that is true... I emant MacBook Pro

15" or 17"? the price difference is like nothing but the portability of the 17" is not very good.

Do you game on the laptop, is it any good? Will it fry the CPU?
    The GPU will be more then enough to handle all the games you want, including the ever so graphic intensive "Crysis" game. It will get warm but never too hot to touch. It is very good at expelling heat. I'd say get the 15 inch matte high resolution display if you can. If you are buying a mac... Might as well go all out one time... because those babies will last you a good 5 years. I'd say no to glossy due to the display being glass, you will get more reflections of yourself then you would staring at a mirror.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Ya I been debating this same thing Inching. Also macbook is 13 inch screen and pro has multiple larger sizes.
    Currently playing Acabero in PL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

if i get it I am maxing it out.... like up grade everything possible to the max EXCEPT the solid state drive... that thing cost almost as much as the laptop itself~!!!

also, I'm concerned about:

1) I will need to buy a new MS Office for Mac and learn how to use it

2) Syncing my iphone / touch / ipad to the new Pro will wipe out all my stuff on it? what about the apps and and info I have on my phone, will that get wipped out also? I heard that if I sync my phone to a new iTunes it will clear out everything and since its the first time syncing, there is nothing to restore, that would be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

if i get it I am maxing it out.... like up grade everything possible to the max EXCEPT the solid state drive... that thing cost almost as much as the laptop itself~!!!

also, I'm concerned about:

1) I will need to buy a new MS Office for Mac and learn how to use it

2) Syncing my iphone / touch / ipad to the new Pro will wipe out all my stuff on it? what about the apps and and info I have on my phone, will that get wipped out also? I heard that if I sync my phone to a new iTunes it will clear out everything and since its the first time syncing, there is nothing to restore, that would be a deal breaker for me.

The people at the genius bar will prevent that from happening if you ask them too. Just bring your old computer's harddrive with you incase. MS office, is easy enough to use for mac. Only took me like a day to learn how to use it. BTW if you get it before the video contest! ENTER IT! My video was done only through the imovie app that apple provides you with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by rangepwnsmeel View Post
    The people at the genius bar will prevent that from happening if you ask them too. Just bring your old computer's harddrive with you incase. MS office, is easy enough to use for mac. Only took me like a day to learn how to use it. BTW if you get it before the video contest! ENTER IT! My video was done only through the imovie app that apple provides you with.
    FFFFFF awsome.... let me ask the so called genius poeple

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

FFFFFF awsome.... let me ask the so called genius poeple
    Sshh I don't think of them as "genius's" That's just their name, some of them are mildly (insert word of your choice here), BUT if you are nice to them, it pays off with all sorts of good tips. I once walked out with a free ipod on my out of warranty one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

I need my parthenon! Gimme back my it guy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by rangepwnsmeel View Post
    Sshh I don't think of them as "genius's" That's just their name, some of them are mildly (insert word of your choice here), BUT if you are nice to them, it pays off with all sorts of good tips. I once walked out with a free ipod on my out of warranty one.
    in Hong Kong (where I am) there are no officially Apple Stores.. just authorized dealers of Apple but close enough. In HK there are also no genius ppl here and just that store's support so if the genius ppl are crap, the HK guys would be S.

But given I am worse then they are, I will need to suck it up and ask them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nONE BOTH CRAP.
    IGN Swag Killer lvl 20 Twink Dex Bear
    MissMage lvl 55 Enchant Pure Int
    MrHunter lvl 51 Bird Pure Dex
    MrAxe lvl 50 Bear Dual Spec More Str

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First of all, Apple RAM prices are insane. Do not buy the upgraded RAM from Apple. They are easy to upgrade yourself. In the US, I buy my RAM from crucial.com (not related to them in any way, just a satisfied customer). Just keep the memory that came with the computer in case you ever need to send it in for repair.

Next, when you open iTunes for the first time, do not connect your iPod or iPhone. Go to iTunes preferences and turn off automatic syncing. That way your idevice doesn't get its contents wiped when you do finally connect it to the computer. I always click on manual management of music and videos.

I have the 15 inch MacBook pro. The 17 inch is pretty much a portable desktop replacement system and is cumbersome to carry around. If you're into editing movies or photos, though, the real estate could be nice. Otherwise, get the 15 inch and just connect an external monitor to it. You can either mirror your desktop or extend it. Also great for class presentations. I've done a lot of video and photo editing on my MBP (and the PowerBook before it). Works like a charm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chrononh View Post
    First of all, Apple RAM prices are insane. Do not buy the upgraded RAM from Apple. They are easy to upgrade yourself. In the US, I buy my RAM from crucial.com (not related to them in any way, just a satisfied customer). Just keep the memory that came with the computer in case you ever need to send it in for repair.

Next, when you open iTunes for the first time, do not connect your iPod or iPhone. Go to iTunes preferences and turn off automatic syncing. That way your idevice doesn't get its contents wiped when you do finally connect it to the computer. I always click on manual management of music and videos.

I have the 15 inch MacBook pro. The 17 inch is pretty much a portable desktop replacement system and is cumbersome to carry around. If you're into editing movies or photos, though, the real estate could be nice. Otherwise, get the 15 inch and just connect an external monitor to it. You can either mirror your desktop or extend it. Also great for class presentations. I've done a lot of video and photo editing on my MBP (and the PowerBook before it). Works like a charm.
    thanks for this.. really helpful