Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gale Force - Underrated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Default Gale Force - Underrated

So I did a bit of testing and fiddling with skills here and there during this free respec weekend... And found that Gale is an underrated skill. It's OP!

Armor bonus is much more significant than you think. In TDM, it is very difficult for a rogue to one shot (or one combo) you with your extra armor bonus.

As far as damage, it's not the weakest skill. All this time I thought Gale was the weakest skill, therefore, most ineffective, but if you read the statistics given on stat page, Gale has the same damage output as Fireball.

Gale is multi purposeful. If you really think about it, it can be used in ANY situation in PvP, and that includes flagging. It's literally a Fireball without extra range, but with increased armor and speed (speed helps). Don't say Gale doesn't have range, because it's AoE distance is quite large.

It is very effective if used correctly. You can literally gale through a group of 5 enemies and not die. After you do so, it's easy to target the pesky rogues and mages kiting behind warriors.

Most importantly, Gale is a perfect troll skill. You literally need 1 skill (Gale) in TDM and be invincible against a warrior or two. They can never catch you even if they use axe.

Have fun with it.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Instanthumor For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor View Post
    So I did a bit of testing and fiddling with skills here and there during this free respec weekend... And found that Gale is an underrated skill. It's OP!

Armor bonus is much more significant than you think. In TDM, it is very difficult for a rogue to one shot (or one combo) you with your extra armor bonus.

As far as damage, it's not the weakest skill. All this time I thought Gale was the weakest skill, therefore, most ineffective, but if you read the statistics given on stat page, Gale has the same damage output as Fireball.

Gale is multi purposeful. If you really think about it, it can be used in ANY situation in PvP, and that includes flagging. It's literally a Fireball without extra range, but with increased armor and speed (speed helps). Don't say Gale doesn't have range, because it's AoE distance is quite large.

It is very effective if used correctly. You can literally gale through a group of 5 enemies and not die. After you do so, it's easy to target the pesky rogues and mages kiting behind warriors.

Most importantly, Gale is a perfect troll skill. You literally need 1 skill (Gale) in TDM and be invincible against a warrior or two. They can never catch you even if they use axe.

Have fun with it.
    You had me sold at Troll Skill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SacredKnight View Post
    You had me sold at Troll Skill
    It's also super effective vs warriors. I've found new build (Gale, Lightning, Heal, Shield), and can KILL arcane ring/maul/samael warrior 1v1 multiple times as a non-arcane ring mage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Did gale have stun like the fireball??
    After 3 years of playing AL I'm still a beggar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ethertech View Post
    Did gale have stun like the fireball??
    It's called a knockback, same thing - stuns opponents.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Instanthumor For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Have fun with it.
    I have a sorc in endgame and want to pvp when I upgraded my helm and armor tp 36
    any build suggestions w/ gale in
    pvp ?? thanks in advance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sterniz View Post
    I have a sorc in endgame and want to pvp when I upgraded my helm and armor tp 36
    any build suggestions w/ gale in
    pvp ?? thanks in advance
    This is what I use, feel free to try it out for yourself.

4/5 Shield - without knockback
    4/5 Lightning - without AoE upgrade
    5/5 Gale
    3/5 Heal - with HP regen and mana upgrade

Int, str, dex, crit passives 5/5
    Durable passive 4/5

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Instanthumor For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

This is what I use, feel free to try it out for yourself.

4/5 Shield - without knockback
    4/5 Lightning - without AoE upgrade
    5/5 Gale
    3/5 Heal - with HP regen and mana upgrade

Int, str, dex, crit passives 5/5
    Durable passive 4/5
    To add on to this, I personally add in 3/5 Frost (Shiver and Jagged Ice upgrades) to add a bit of diversity to my build. With Frost, I can now vs rogues (Gale, Frost, Lightning, Shield), one combo non-shielded mages, stunlock/kill warriors, etc. If you were to add in Frost, you would have to take out 3 points in your Durable passive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts

Do you have any tips for what a level 26 Mage PvP should use ( Build and gear wise )?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Shhhh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts

Today, instanab 2v1 me and a tank and won, using gale, i still dont know what hit me but gotta say..hez a pru

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Do you charge your Gale always?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

How'd it be for elites? I mean, ok you will have more survivability but you gotta time your fireball+gale and/or make sure mobs are under Time Shift's effect. Worth getting it instead other skills? Because if you play gale instead of light you lose dps, if you play it instead of shield.. Well it could maybe work because shield gives you survivability and with gale you have dmg+survivability.
    Cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Fire/ice/clock/gale works for elites just take out the speed. But you also need to know what you're doing or else you'll just scatter the mobs around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Gale wins the award for skill most likely to be misused.

Yes, it can be beneficial in certain situations when wielded by a skilled and experienced mage. However, 98% of the gale-using mages I have seen over the last (almost) 2 years have been absolutely terrible with it. Groups of mobs that are nicely trapped by rogues and aggroed by warriors get blown to the far reaches of the map and almost always fireball-stunned in place to boot. The party then has to chase them down and kill them one by one. Then it happens again on the next group of mobs.

This is not a skill for any but experienced mages who have a purpose for it.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Yup thats why I say you gotta time your Gale right after your charged Fireball or you're gonna have bad time. But yeah, imo Fire Ice Time Shield/Light would be better than Gale for elites at least, but still it is great to see a mage with 1,7k+ armor almost the whole run (4s armor buff, 5.5s CD time).
    For pvp its different story because you dont have to watch what you hit so much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Gale is great for flagging, farming Jarl, running back to the boss after dying in elite, and rushing past spawn-gangers in pvp. The armor bonus is nice too. One of my favorite skills!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts

I love using Gale for tombs, the knockdown + armor rly helps me not die \o/

I see so many nubs use shield and crap in tombs but honestly with ice/fire/Gale and time shift you don't need a shield lol
    "proof, peasant?" Partybro

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    117 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serancha View Post
    Gale wins the award for skill most likely to be misused.

Yes, it can be beneficial in certain situations when wielded by a skilled and experienced mage. However, 98% of the gale-using mages I have seen over the last (almost) 2 years have been absolutely terrible with it. Groups of mobs that are nicely trapped by rogues and aggroed by warriors get blown to the far reaches of the map and almost always fireball-stunned in place to boot. The party then has to chase them down and kill them one by one. Then it happens again on the next group of mobs.

This is not a skill for any but experienced mages who have a purpose for it.
    Amen brother, I have had the same problem with mages that think its fun to play "monkey in the middle" with frostir in arena and knock back my stunned mobs >.< PLS KNOW HOW TO USE THE RED BUTTON BEFORE PRESSING THE RED BUTTON.
    I was crazy before it was fashionable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

P. S. Durable passive does not stack with Gale Force's 50% armor buff... So if you wanna use Gale Force, dont spend points on Durable passive because only Gale's buff is applied which means waste of points.