Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remember when...you were a noob - kind mentors or funny stories...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Wink Remember when...you were a noob - kind mentors or funny stories...

Hey all - just starting to post though I use the forums quite frequently as they are a treasure trove of information, but thought I would share this story & say thanks to the friendly & experienced players that kept me hitting that PL neeedle.

I started playing in Oct '10, managed to get to about lvl 28 by creating games (this is my first MMO) when I got discouraged because I kept on getting booted immediately from AO3. Well, I finally just created a game and tried to solo it, managed to kill about 8 aliens when Shahsyed joined, (laughed at my ridiculous attempt - but nicely) and recruited some lvl 50 friends. Dumbfounded and elated at their generosity, I thanked them and have never forgotten that random act of kindness. It allowed me to see a glimpse of what I had in store and have been hooked ever since.

So forgive my long-winded story (no fart jokes, please :P) but here's my shout-out to Shahsyed and all the experienced players that had the patience to put up with, not only a PL newb but a MMO newb as well!

p.s. I have since learned what MMORPG stands for and how fun they really are!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Great story. I had mentors, too. I still look to Royce as a mentor, in fact, but there were others. Like you, once I got some great help (in my case it was scads of information from the guy), I decided to never lose my appreciation for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

ive tried to help out individuals every so often... im usually disappointed in how they turn out tho guess my standards are too high lol

wish i had a mentor. during the mynas disaster nobody wanted anything to do with new people.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i remember when i was about level 5 i think and i was in forest haven when i saw a guy with a mega blaster equipped. my mind was. BLOWN. it was the coolest thing i had ever seen in my life. you have no idea. i vowed to get that gun one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firepants View Post
    who needs a real girlfriend when you can go into forest haven and get 5 online dating mages at one time?
    BALLS TO YOU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

When I was starting out with my main character... I didn't really wanna talk to a lot of people but this one guy kept on annoying me about what he knows about the game and his life... I mean we always "accidentally" bump into each other...

But in the end, I added him as a friend and was actually fun to play with! Haha! He was my first friend in Pocket Legends! Anyone ever heard of Zhendra?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Biglocloc..

Long story, I'll type it later, if I feel like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

haah I got booted from ao2 and ao3 so many times from 40-49. I tried to make my own games and solo them, but I never got very far. I just ended up chugging potions and dying about every 10 seconds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

I made games in Ao2 and Ao3 and every time people joined... How'd that happen?

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Brandonbowls/Bowlingord was my mentor and first close friend in the game. We met when we were like level 14 in Dark Forest, but he was more into the game than me at first and leveled much faster. I would join him as a level 35ish in Ao2 plasma pyramid runs full of 45s, and he would always immediately say something like, "Hi Kalielle!!!!!!!!" and nobody would dare boot me after such an enthusiastic greeting. (I wasn't trying to leech btw, I just didn't realize at the time what a difference an extra 10 levels can make). He also shared so much gear with me - and this was back when I didn't know how to farm or trade so without him I would have been wearing the worst gear imaginable.

This is a great thread - keep the stories coming! And thanks for reminding us that we were all new once.
    Kalielle - level 56 mage | Kaley - level 55 roundup bear | Clusterstorm - level 55 rush paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    Clusterstorm? Pshh, he merely leads the fastest games ever.
    Pocket Legends Video Tutorial

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1) Not figuring out how to join a group on a particular board until about level 15, that was a fun grind by myself.

2) Running into Captive Audience and opening all the containers the first time I went.

3) Just now finding out that Ellie sells 100 potions for what I used to pay for 50.

Being a noob to this day can be priceless.
    Beefymeat - Lvl 55 DexBird
    Deiacev - Lvl 31 Vamp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

When I was lvling, I never bought anything -- just went with what I looted/got from quests. But occasionally I'd get gifted something better than what I had by someone in the group. I just always missed who it was that gave it to me, so don't know any of their names. (I got an ice talon -- the kind that freezes and throws ice shards everywhere -- while in the swamps, and first thought it was a drop lol. Then I realized it must have been a gift.)

Was always a nice surprise. I think the pre-cs days made things like this more fun. Back then I didn't know anything about items I didn't have, so if someone gave me somethig better, even if it was a green or purple, it was exciting. But the cs allows anyone to get just about anything for cheap -- so people are not as likely to just be using the stuff they looted.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I first started playing, I was pretty confused.

I thought going into the portal was finishing a quest, and it took me to level 30ish to understand what the Balefort 19/19 meant(etc).

I also couldn't figure out how mages were equipping Sword, and bows.

I didn't know there was a "Join game" button to find all active games until about level 30.
    I bought a Lucky Elixer with my first 3k thinking it was permanent and was irate when it wore off.

I fought a boss in Forest Haven and figured it would respawn, waited literally an hour while the game was on just watching for a re-spawn. -.-

At level 38 (after leeching Crush the Keeper for several runs without an elixer), I wrote a GIGANTIC 3 page front/back list of around 350 items and they're prices and stood around Balefort for about a week straight trying to sell them before realizing that level 50 greens/whites/purples don't sell. (Metallic caps were 10k each in the cs, I had like 14 of them, I thought I was LOADED)

When I hit level 50, I was SHOCKED that I was considered poor with 200k. xD

I sort of miss being new to this game, it seemed so vast and confusing. I remember the first time I got platinum I joined games and was aw-stuck by the new content I just purchased. This game is so aluring to newer players.
    Last edited by Refriedchicken; 01-28-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Metallic caps were never 10k in the cs. The second the cs opened, all 2nd tier lvl 50 pinks shot down to 1-2k (and then as low as 4-500g). Before the cs, we might have been lucky to get 5k for them.
    The cs spoils everyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyMeat View Post
    Running into Captive Audience and opening all the containers the first time I went.
    I still do this.
    IGN: Tsarra (Enchantress/Pure Mage - Lv. 52) | Eliysium (Bird/Pure Dex - Lv. 30) | BirdLipsMcGee (PvP Noob/Dark Forest Farmer Extraordinaire - Lv. 10) | TiniestTim (Platinum PvP Farmbear - Lv. 1)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadM View Post
    What we need is more cowbell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

What a great idea to rehash ways we've been helped out. I know it's reminded me to be a little more patient in game and I tend to be pretty laid back and patient already

When I was about level 30 I went into AO2 with some horrible staff I had looted and somebody in the party, rather than shouting to boot (because I kept dying) gave me a good wand and eyeball. I don't remember who it was but I always remember that and if I'm playing levels with lower players who seem like they're really trying but have bad gear I'll check out what they're using and if I have something better I'll give it to them. That one random act has turned into many! We never know how just one nice act can keep on spreading.

RRuly also helped me a lot. When I got to fifty I had random amounts of points in dex, strength and intel. I was just spamming skills without understanding just exactly what a buff and debuff are. I had read the guides here but I'm the type of person who needs to actually interact and talk about something to understand it. So he helped me figure out how to arrange my skills, how to use them more effectively and how to do combos. I had no idea what a combo was! He has also felt sorry for me trying to PVP because I suck so bad (I'm so not a competitive person and PVP I think really needs that competitive personality) that he'll let me kill him sometimes. At least I'm pretty sure that's what he's doing. He'll suspiciously just stand there sometimes while I slowly kill him and then pretend that I really did it on my own. haha! Plus, he gave me a full cosmos set! I felt guilty taking it so I saved it in case he ever needed it back

Oh, one thing I didn't understand at all were my skills when I first started. I didn't know what heal was and would just walk around hitting it randomly in town, etc. I've seen a lot of low level mages who don't understand what heal is either! Seems like a no brainer but I don't think I figured it out until I was level 11 and I didn't realize I was supposed to be healing the party until I was level 17, was in a party and someone said, "will you please start healing the group?" Instead of assuming I just didn't want to heal they were really nice and asked in a way that taught me what I was supposed to be doing. I was thankful to not get the boot and actually learn what my job was. That actually lead to me liking to play a lot more because I like to be in a group and either try to keep everyone alive if possible or at least res'd pretty quickly if I'm not able to spam heal quickly enough. It took me a few levels to realize what res did, too. I thought it was to revive ME if I died and when that didn't work I thought it was broken. Finally I got res'd and realized, "aha! it's for my teammates! DUUUHHH"

And I've gotten some really nice things just randomly given to me. My shadows helmet and robes were gifts. I was in the CS one day and someone just gave me a laser wand. Said something like, "here you go! Enjoy!"

I know it has always made me feel good to walk into a game and have people say hi so I always try to greet players.

I'll add more if I think of any.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

After about two weeks of playing, I discovered several things when I started to play a little less and explore game mechanics and buy some platinum stuff more:

The "..." button gave you access to the chat history which went a lot farther than the 3 chat size toggles. I then discovered the actual usefulness of the skill menu collapse/expand button to make it easier to scroll through the history.

The usefulnees of the /who command (especially on a quickchat button) in towne to see the names of everyone around. It even came in handy for the antenna giveaway last night.

"Moonwalking" by clicking in the hallway over the wall in the ? guy's room in AO2.5 to make walking the cleared hallway a lot easier. (I knew about tapping far ahead to move, but not to that extreme.)

Potions for free? It wasn't until a bit later that I discovered the best way to farm them. muahahaha.

Recover item sold button. How come I didn't see that earlier? lol

The concept of mules, thanks to a screenshot on the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

My first mentor and friend was cheshirepoet. Shed give me items all the time and farm them for me when I wasn't on.
    She taught me the art of giving lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamoni View Post

Oh, one thing I didn't understand at all were my skills when I first started. I didn't know what heal was and would just walk around hitting it randomly in town, etc. I've seen a lot of low level mages who don't understand what heal is either! Seems like a no brainer but I don't think I figured it out until I was level 11 and I didn't realize I was supposed to be healing the party until I was level 17, was in a party and someone said, "will you please start healing the group?" Instead of assuming I just didn't want to heal they were really nice and asked in a way that taught me what I was supposed to be doing. I was thankful to not get the boot and actually learn what my job was. That actually lead to me liking to play a lot more because I like to be in a group and either try to keep everyone alive if possible or at least res'd pretty quickly if I'm not able to spam heal quickly enough. It took me a few levels to realize what res did, too. I thought it was to revive ME if I died and when that didn't work I thought it was broken. Finally I got res'd and realized, "aha! it's for my teammates! DUUUHHH".
    I remember when I first started I kept spamming rev because I thought it was either making me stronger or hurting the enemies.

I've done a good bit of mentoring in PVP ever since Mrsbanana taught me to be a paladin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylove View Post
    I remember when I first started I kept spamming rev because I thought it was either making me stronger or hurting the enemies.

I've done a good bit of mentoring in PVP ever since Mrsbanana taught me to be a paladin
    haha i think every new mage has this problem. i used to hit rev whenever i died and be like wtf??? and when someone died id get yelled it for not reving them and screamed back saying "im hitting it man!!!" i didnt realize that i had to be close to the deceased for it to actually work haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
    haha i think every new mage has this problem. i used to hit rev whenever i died and be like wtf??? and when someone died id get yelled it for not reving them and screamed back saying "im hitting it man!!!" i didnt realize that i had to be close to the deceased for it to actually work haha
    Hahahah I did that too. I'd try to rev somone at the end of the map from the beginning of the map