Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: iPhone 6 Plus Resolution

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Default iPhone 6 Plus Resolution

Hello,

It seems that the entire AL client is not configured to handle the iPhone 6 & 6+ resolution? I'm currently having some gross jagged edges and blurry characters/details on my 6 plus

If a developer could let us know if this is planning on being resolved, that would be great. Thanks!
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Hello,

It seems that the entire AL client is not configured to handle the iPhone 6 & 6+ resolution? I'm currently having some gross jagged edges and blurry characters/details on my 6 plus

If a developer could let us know if this is planning on being resolved, that would be great. Thanks!
    That painfull moment you notice you can't play AL (just imagine a 9gag pic).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Itoopeo,

Applications will support resolutions based on what that certain application has allowed. In iOS, there has never been a resolution like the ones released in iPhone 6 or 6 plus. So, to the AL client, this resolution is foreign to them. Thus, it picks the next best option which in this case is the iPhone 5s resolution. The only thing is...the iPhone 6 Plus has roughly 300% more pixels than the iPhone 5S. So, the game will continue to look blurry until the developers release a client to support the new resolutions on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

This thread serves purpose to remind them to include this within the next client because I am sure I am not the only one who has upgraded his/her phone. Let us not turn this into an Apple vs. Android discussion thread. Both OS have their benefits and disadvantages and all it really comes down to is personal preference. If you like Android, that's cool! It's a great operating system. In fact, I like it too! However, I enjoy iOS just a smidgen more for personal reasons. That is my opinion, however, and it does not make one OS better than the other. Variation exists for a reason - not everyone is going to want to choose the same path.

Hope this helped!

Hmm, how come I have never faced or heard about same problem in android apps, even tho we have so many different resolutions and stuff.
    I got some apps on my Galaxy S that vener never supposed to run on that device. As an example It runs clash of clans because I forced it to run it, even tho stock Galaxy S could not even find it from its Play store, or run it.
    It still runs with great fps and without any visual glitches.

I can also run PL on my old laptop which has 1366x768 pixels screen. Still it runs in full screen and fits the resolution perfectly without any visual glitches again.
    So do you think android has some kind of scaling resolution to fit every screen without glitches? I dont know.

Does any app in app store currently run at 1080p? What about youtube does it allow to use 1080p?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Android and iOS both have effective scaling. The game does not look terrible but for someone as nit picky as me, it is bothersome.

It's very difficult to tell what the visual glitches are unless you know what you're looking for.

Also, the chrome client has ability to run at fixed 1080 by 720 (roughly) or the resolution that you specify. Thus, it does not make it the same as android or iOS. Additionally, a lot of android phones exist so it's rare to find a phone with a new resolution format - which is why you see the applications support a wide range of screen resolutions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

Android ftw!

6.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Pretty much what Goodsyntax said. We will look at it when our 6+ test phone arrives. Thanks for the head's up!
    Last edited by Samhayne; 09-25-2014 at 10:20 AM.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Samhayne For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    lol - you saw that?

Of course, BB code doesn't hide unlike your sneaky tricks! :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    Pretty much what Goodsyntax said. We will look at it when our 6+ test phone arrives. Thanks for the head's up!
    Feel free to go ahead and mail that bad boy to be when you're done testing with it

My wife wants one...do it for her ;-)

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

I don't want to say anything bad to u but... Don't take your iPhone 6+ too much in your pocket, it will melt a bit and will be like in \_ shape. Smth is wrong with the material that Apple is using. Gl in being fixed!

For God's SAKE! lvl 15 armor and helm (rare) for tank
    The guy who scored 4m 20s 420ms in Elite

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrisber For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

I always thought that such flexible scaling as in AL engine is done in the code, not manifest file, at least, in Android it is possible. I believe that all that Objective C stuff also has Display objects and etc, isn't that so? But it will require client update anyway. And again Apple approval... Brr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Itoopeo View Post
    It totally does support 1080p, yes it is already used in many phones. But with regular iPhone 6, Apple sticks with wierd 720p screen with added pixels for some reason (make devs life harder maybe?)
    Why didnt they stick with standard resolutions?
    Just Apple being Apple....

When you control the hardware, the software, and the app markets (via approvals), you can do whatever you want.

It's just weird that they chose to go with an alternative, non-standard resolution. At least the 6+ is a standard resolution (1920x1080), don't know what to say about the 1334x750 resolution on the 6. Apple probably just targeted 325 PPI as where they wanted to be at, so this odd resolution on the 6 got them there. Most likely a cost/manufacturing decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrisber View Post
    I don't want to say anything bad to u but... Don't take your iPhone 6+ too much in your pocket, it will melt a bit and will be like in \_ shape. Smth is wrong with the material that Apple is using. Gl in being fixed!
    Yep, I agree. The thing is...it's too big to fit into my pockets anyways. However, nothing is wrong with the material - it's aluminum. I'm surprised people didn't realize how malleable aluminum is.

@MoloToha
    We never know - it might have something to do with Apple's approval process or it might be simpler to include the resolutions due to there being only a few types of resolutions on iOS.
    Last edited by Zeus; 09-25-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    Just Apple being Apple....

When you control the hardware, the software, and the app markets (via approvals), you can do whatever you want.

It's just weird that they chose to go with an alternative, non-standard resolution. At least the 6+ is a standard resolution (1920x1080), don't know what to say about the 1334x750 resolution on the 6. Apple probably just targeted 325 PPI as where they wanted to be at, so this odd resolution on the 6 got them there. Most likely a cost/manufacturing decision.
    Noooo its not cost thing, Apple already takes 40% extra prize from every sold phone

And this Bending problem shows that Aluminium as phone material is really overrated. It works in corners and like Nokia uses it in Lumia phones but full aluminium is just not strong enough and scratches on it looks awful. Samsung goes for full plastic and the quality is really not bad at all. Actually very good plus its water resistant which is big plus because as example I am swimming a lot as hobby and I like diving on holidays in southern places so it could film all that with very good quality.

BUT I dont have Samsung phone and I dont want it that much because I have this Nokia Lumia and it just works so much better than any of the phones on the market and just looks amazing.
    Last edited by Itoopeo; 09-25-2014 at 12:45 PM.

16.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #14
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts

Hey guys!

I have cleaned up this thread. Let's refrain from Android vs Apple debates and keep things constructive.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

So... the 750p thing bugs me still.... Why didnt Apple fit 1080p screen in that? It would have actually been something for a phone with so high prize.

I asked already before but does other apps like instagram/facebook etc scale to full hd already? Or does everything look blurry?.

And also do you see still some black bars in some apps that were made for iphones below 4S?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arpluvial View Post
    Hey guys!

I have cleaned up this thread. Let's refrain from Android vs Apple debates and keep things constructive.
    Not sure why you deleted my first post....it was a technical explanation as to why the 6/6+ isn't scaling as intended. I didn't think it had anything incendiary in there (after Sam cleaned up my white-on-white jab).