Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh boy, return of the Myna's Gens.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Default Oh boy, return of the Myna's Gens.

Well... If you look on the first page of general discussion, you will notice three power leveling threads. This is what I call an Apocalypse. Myna's gens are gonna be sprouting out everywhere. *hides in box*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

I hate mynas gens with a passion....
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    I hate mynas gens with a passion....
    Before my time, I don't even know who they are lol Please enlighten me.
    Currently playing Acabero in PL

Guardian of Alterra DawnInfinity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cabero View Post
    When AO2 came out, people flocked to lvl 3 (Mynas level) to be power leveled. Those new players didn't learn how to actually play PL and have no strategy / knowledge whatsoever. They are the players who don't heal / rev, tank when necessary, and don't use their skills correctly in general.. Thus, the Mynas generation.
    *Follow my blog, and I'll love you forever *
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    She's not hot, she's sexy. Sexy steph
    Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    does it matter? we all praise and adore your presence, may your light fall upon our eyes...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Probably one of the reasons why I refuse to do VL runs now or do the cyber quests for my other characters. Everything is so disorganized and people have absolutely no idea what they're doing including what their role is in the party. There's still people who think the green orbs at Gurg stack and have to circle the room, bears who spam stomp and kick the boss out of the room to the point he runs back and resets, and even people who prefer to do their own thing instead of working as a team.

Level 50 players who have the experience (and skill) of a level 10 player.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Me too.... I think its time we called in our superhero to save the day!

*talks to RedRyder about sketching a superhero who's one and only goal is to rid the game of myna's gens*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

It is a sad war that can never be won. They are the bane of PL civilization. When AO3 came out and was super hard, they were terrible.
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Powerleveling aka leeching is a plague in MMOs that just spawns more lv 50s that absolutely have no idea how to utilize their character. I honestly don't see anything good that comes out of leeching. Because a player has not nurtured and actually "played" their leeched character, they tend to not care for their character as much as one who actually devoted their time and effort to get to lv 50. As a result, a majority of MMO leechers do end up quitting earlier than non-leechers (this is true to any MMO). Devs should realize that leeching actually hurts long-term player base, as most leechers do quit for good. Their mentality? "Oh, I just powerleveled 3 lv 50s in a day, no biggie if I quit now."

I brought this up in another thread but I'll bring this up here - in which situation would you treasure your possession more? A $20,000 car that your parents bought you, or a $20,000 car that you saved up months and months of hard work, money, sacrifice, time, and effort for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    Powerleveling aka leeching is a plague in MMOs that just spawns more lv 50s that absolutely have no idea how to utilize their character. I honestly don't see anything good that comes out of leeching. Because a player has not nurtured and actually "played" their leeched character, they tend to not care for their character as much as one who actually devoted their time and effort to get to lv 50. As a result, a majority of MMO leechers do end up quitting earlier than non-leechers (this is true to any MMO). Devs should realize that leeching actually hurts long-term player base, as most leechers do quit for good. Their mentality? "Oh, I just powerleveled 3 lv 50s in a day, no biggie if I quit now."

I brought this up in another thread but I'll bring this up here - in which situation would you treasure your possession more? A $20,000 car that your parents bought you, or a $20,000 car that you saved up months and months of hard work, money, sacrifice, time, and effort for?
    That will change soon the devs are going to put the option in so that when you make a game you can set level restrictions on it. I think it was listed in the 1.7 update
    Currently playing Acabero in PL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

That will change soon the devs are going to put the option in so that when you make a game you can set level restrictions on it. I think it was listed in the 1.7 update
    It won't change anything. Most of the leeching is occurring because people are power-leveling low levels. There's no way to prevent this other than to enforce level restrictions entirely. Unfortunately, the devs have said they won't do so on content that players have purchased.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I consider leeching the term to use when they are unwelcomed. For example, when I was in ao3 and this annoying lvl 20ish refused to leave, and we had no host that could boot him. That is a leech. A powerleveler has a lvl 50 agreeing to do it for them. Both can result in a player not knowing or interested in knowing how to properly play and being too dependent on others to do everything for them. Unless say, the person being powerleveled is somebody's alt and they're just asking their friend to help them (in a private map, otherwise they're a leech to others). That's the only time I think it's ok, but it can still take the fun out.
    Last edited by Kujen; 01-30-2011 at 04:20 PM.
    Kujen 56 Bird / Rahki 55 Bear / Silvanya 55 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only one thing left to do... Go powerlvling!!!

I am Militaryman. No "if"s, "and"s, or "butt"s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kossi View Post
    thats like hitler killing that moustache look
    Quote Originally Posted by asommers View Post
    My future career will be a professional snowboarder.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I always wondered what that term meant too. I joined after ao3 lol. Kind of an outdated term, maybe these are actually keeper gens?

I too am tired of the powerlevelers though. Anytime I get a friend request and see they have like 1k kills at level 50 I groan. Got all three of my mains to 50 without begging people to do it for me, and you know what..I thought it was a lot of fun to go back into those earlier levels after doing nothing but victory lap runs. It is fun to play in a group of people your own level, that's how it was designed.

There's a bit too many who are interested in powerleveling others for profit now though. When my mage was still a few levels under 50, tired of getting booted by 50s, I made my own keeper map.. and once some 50 came in and demanded that I give him all my greens or he would leave. Lol! Okaaay..cya. (That was back when they had a huge gold drop rates, then nerfed it, and increased green loot drops.)
    And now I get people soliciting me their power level services when I'm on my PVP twinks (if they aren't trying to rip me off with overpriced gear because they assume I'm a noob).
    Last edited by Kujen; 01-30-2011 at 04:09 PM.
    Kujen 56 Bird / Rahki 55 Bear / Silvanya 55 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe the devs should make it so that when a player lower than 10 levels below the suggested level for a map is in that game, all enemies automatically switch aggro to them, and can't be switched back.

I am Militaryman. No "if"s, "and"s, or "butt"s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kossi View Post
    thats like hitler killing that moustache look
    Quote Originally Posted by asommers View Post
    My future career will be a professional snowboarder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

There's easy solutions to this. Each campaign has a level range intended for users to normally play through. Simply prevent anyone from gaining experience if they are not within the intended level range (i.e. lv 20 gets no experience at Alien Oasis 3, intended for 45-50).

the REAL jersey shore not that crap from the tv
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a $20k car is a subaru legacy. if i'm saving up for a car it's going to be much better than that. i bought a 350z new off the lot without a downpayment and beat the balls off it blowing the transmission at JUST under 30k miles. i didn't care for it at all, but if i had saved up a good 30k for a downpayment on a GT-R then i probably would have taken better care of it, but what's a 350z? 40k? that's really not that much. as for powerlevelling, i've earned some characters in games and powerlevelled some characters in games. all in all, the cost of time and effort in a character doesn't bring a 1:1 ratio of care to skill building. people play their characters the way they want to and most of those level 50s who just wanted to see end game are only going to be playing for a few weeks or months and only be in your hair for a short time.

in the end, people play their characters or their cars the way they want to, but comparing a $20k car to a $50.00 toon is not even close to on the same page. we're talking about comparing the title page to the appendix.
    Orlox (51) Archer - Zombified (56) Enchantress - Murdalyzer (55) Warrior Frightmare(20) Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by last350 View Post
    a $20k car is a subaru legacy. if i'm saving up for a car it's going to be much better than that. i bought a 350z new off the lot without a downpayment and beat the balls off it blowing the transmission at JUST under 30k miles. i didn't care for it at all, but if i had saved up a good 30k for a downpayment on a GT-R then i probably would have taken better care of it, but what's a 350z? 40k? that's really not that much. as for powerlevelling, i've earned some characters in games and powerlevelled some characters in games. all in all, the cost of time and effort in a character doesn't bring a 1:1 ratio of care to skill building. people play their characters the way they want to and most of those level 50s who just wanted to see end game are only going to be playing for a few weeks or months and only be in your hair for a short time.

in the end, people play their characters or their cars the way they want to, but comparing a $20k car to a $50.00 toon is not even close to on the same page. we're talking about comparing the title page to the appendix.
    I never intended to compare a car to a toon. It's simple application of economics to a microscale. I was talking more along the lines of mirroring behavior, influenced by dedication, work, time, and effort. Obviously a car is worth more than a toon.

I don't care about what car you think is better, you read only half of my argument, which was treasuring a car that you bought versus treasuring a car that your parents bought you (and a car in which you did not work for at all).

the REAL jersey shore not that crap from the tv
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and btw, leeching is when you are sucking off other players. if i pay someone 10,000 gold to run through something like AO2:5 and kill 200 mobs for me while i follow and use a pot for the xp and 3 other people join up because they're on his friends list and they are just tagging along stealing drops and mob cash but not paying them for a service they are being hired for, they are leechers.

it's like standing in line at mcdonalds and when the person in front of you gets an order of fries, you just take a few out of their container. you're like wtf? get off my fries! i just paid for them and they're mine and the thief is like um no, the cashier is my friend i can have all the free fries i want.
    Orlox (51) Archer - Zombified (56) Enchantress - Murdalyzer (55) Warrior Frightmare(20) Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by last350 View Post
    and btw, leeching is when you are sucking off other players. if i pay someone 10,000 gold to run through something like AO2:5 and kill 200 mobs for me while i follow and use a pot for the xp and 3 other people join up because they're on his friends list and they are just tagging along stealing drops and mob cash but not paying them for a service they are being hired for, they are leechers.

it's like standing in line at mcdonalds and when the person in front of you gets an order of fries, you just take a few out of their container. you're like wtf? get off my fries! i just paid for them and they're mine and the thief is like um no, the cashier is my friend i can have all the free fries i want.
    Actually, it's paying for leech versus free leeching. Powerleveling is a term that leechers use to make themselves feel less of a "leech". In the end, you're "leeching" experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been running vl lately out of boredom and gotta say... I feel bad for good players trying to do high level quests right now. In a month I've noticed a huge increase in ridiculous behavior on these runs. In an obviously underpowered, under-armored team and see mages solo rushing rooms with multiple snipers. End up forced to pot spam to survive and do res after res. These antics end up taking twice as long to run the level. Apparently "pull" and "save orbs for mages" are foreign terms.... can't wait for the new content and some better players to come back on....