Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Language filter in PL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Default Language filter in PL

One of the words the language filter responds to is "kunt". It doesn't just get ****'d, but players actually get temporarily muted for it.

I can see how this is similar to an offensive word in English, but in Dutch it just means can. As in "you can". Therefor it's very very hard to avoid. I run into Dutch people quite a lot and i keep getting muted. It's not like i'm the only Dutch player still active in PL. Could the devs please consider just ****'ing the word "kunt" instead of muting players who use it? I know i should try to avoid using it, but it's such a common word that it keeps slipping through.
    NachtElfje - mage / engi ~ BloedElfje - op / vampire

www.infiniteunion.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

It's very frustrating to Dutch people and it would probably be very easy for them to change, so why not? I'm not asking to remove the word from the filter, just change from a temporary mute to ***'ing it. It probably also applies to the other STS games.
    Last edited by pizzaman; 10-28-2014 at 06:43 PM.

www.infiniteunion.net

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
    It's very frustrating to Dutch people and it would probably be very easy for them to change, so why not? I'm not asking to remove the word from the filter, just change from a temporary mute to ***'ing it. It probably also applies to the other STS games.
    I can see your frustration, however, you have to understand that by allowing this word to slip through the filter, it would allow for those who thrive on using the derogatory meaning of the word (which could be argued outnumber those who use it for Dutch translation) to begin spamming the word in all aspects of the game.

I have also known quite a few Dutch players in my 4 years of being a part of the PL community and have never known this to be an issue. Most Europeans speak better "English" than Americans do and besides, "can" is easier to spell.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Onepropally View Post
    Do you think the devs really care? Lmao
    Well they gave us a halloween update.

Worst sig EU, got bored

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    I can see your frustration, however, you have to understand that by allowing this word to slip through the filter, it would allow for those who thrive on using the derogatory meaning of the word (which could be argued outnumber those who use it for Dutch translation) to begin spamming the word in all aspects of the game.

I have also known quite a few Dutch players in my 4 years of being a part of the PL community and have never known this to be an issue. Most Europeans speak better "English" than Americans do and besides, "can" is easier to spell.
    I'm not asking to disable the filter and let it slip through. Just change it from auto-mute a player to hiding it with **** so a dutch conversation doesn't get interrupted all the time.

It's only an issue when speaking Dutch, so it wouldn't come up when you're talking with Dutch people, in which case they'll be speaking english, and in which case they wouldn't use the word kunt.
    Last edited by pizzaman; 10-29-2014 at 04:51 AM.

www.infiniteunion.net

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

This thread is about fixing a rly minor inconvenience for a rly small majority which would allow high amount of flamers to flame more fluently. Just cough it up or talk English.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I'm presuming you mean a major inconvenience for a minority?

While it's perhaps not polite to speak other languages in the middle of a town, it's odd to ask people to speak English even in runs with only people from another country or in pm's. I doubt you'd speak French with an English person in private if you were in France if English is your mother tongue.

I do understand that flamers are a big concern, but again, i'm not asking to remove the word from the filter, just change it from auto-muting to filtering the word, which would still take the sting out of that, wouldn't it?
    Last edited by pizzaman; 10-29-2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typo

www.infiniteunion.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

Thumbs down

Yes this muting system is very annoying for people who talk several languages with many people. Just add a filter or remove these words like game removes åäö letters in nordic languages
    päivää -> piv hötkyillä -> htkyill

I remember getting banned for a week by mistyping "green shirt" in SL. (didnt hit "r")
    Last edited by Itoopeo; 10-29-2014 at 07:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Itoopeo View Post
    Yes this muting system is very annoying for people who talk several languages with many people. Just add a filter or remove these words like game removes åäö letters in nordic languages
    päivää -> piv hötkyillä -> htkyill

I remember getting banned for a week by mistyping "green shirt" in SL. (didnt hit "r")
    That made me burst out laughing because same thing happen to me when I said : no I don't sell my green shirt , same thing happen missed the R

10.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #10
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Hey guys,

I'll review the filter with our Customer Support Team and see if there are refinements that make sense. No guarantees of changes, but I can say that we hear you and will give it another look.

Best regards,
    Samhayne
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Awesome that you're willing to give it a look. Thanks! Just knowing that alone already makes it less frustrating to be muted for using a common dutch word :-)
    Last edited by pizzaman; 10-29-2014 at 03:29 PM.

www.infiniteunion.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman:1888089
    I'm presuming you mean a major inconvenience for a minority?

While it's perhaps not polite to speak other languages in the middle of a town, it's odd to ask people to speak English even in runs with only people from another country or in pm's. I doubt you'd speak French with an English person in private if you were in France if Egnlish is your mother tongue.

I do understand that flamers are a big concern, but again, i'm not asking to remove the word from the filter, just change it from auto-muting to filtering the word, which would still take the sting out of that, wouldn't it?
    The thing is, even if it shows up as "****", it still creates a negative experience for the player (presumably if the player is English).

If the game did not have a system that banned abusers from chatting and only had a language filter, the asterisks still imply the same meaning of verbal harassment. Even if there is a language filter, you shouldn't abuse the chat rules. Yes, there is a mute button, but if a player has to mute another player, the abusing player has already created a negative experience for him.

I understand that you speak Dutch, and you just want the word filtered, but you have to understand that we speak English in this game. Therefore, we have to have filters, and yes, temporary bans from chatting. Otherwise, we would have all the trash talking and asterisks in the chat.
    ya YEET

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laar View Post
    The thing is, even if it shows up as "****", it still creates a negative experience for the player (presumably if the player is English).

If the game did not have a system that banned abusers from chatting and only had a language filter, the asterisks still imply the same meaning of verbal harassment. Even if there is a language filter, you shouldn't abuse the chat rules. Yes, there is a mute button, but if a player has to mute another player, the abusing player has already created a negative experience for him.

I understand that you speak Dutch, and you just want the word filtered, but you have to understand that we speak English in this game. Therefore, we have to have filters, and yes, temporary bans from chatting. Otherwise, we would have all the trash talking and asterisks in the chat.
    I think that blocking the words reduces the negative experience significantly. But i do also think that Itoopeo has a very clever idea: in stead of ***'s, don't show the word at all. That way there's really no negative experience left. The offending player wouldn't really be punished other than that, but i think it's frustrating enough when the word just disappears. Still, that would take a little more programming, and while STS games probably share a language filter, i wouldn't as STS to do that if it requires significant programming per game.

www.infiniteunion.net

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    Hey guys,

I'll review the filter with our Customer Support Team and see if there are refinements that make sense. No guarantees of changes, but I can say that we hear you and will give it another look.

Best regards,
    Samhayne
    lol

15. The Following User Says Thank You to iamthesurvivor For This Useful Post:

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Hey guys,

Best regards,
    Samhayne

and then nothing happens except the original poster stops posting on this thread and sts no longer has a problem on their hands

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

Hey guys,
    we hear you
    Samhayne
    mhm

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Hey guys,
    No guarantees of changes, but just take it as a no and be on your way
    Best regards,
    Samhayne
    Shortened version

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts

Uhm isn't that *** something you can switch on an off as you like?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

Just remove the support for those words.
    Or make them show up as spacebars or like in Clash of clans, Hearts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I guess it's a major inconvenience for you guys, but STS are based in America, so they'll have thought of words that would have been offensive to them and not really consider what it would be like in other languages.

Just consider the majority here and how offensive the word can be in English, but I think they'll find a way to get around it.
    "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
    Matthew 11:28