Thread: What is your Opinion on Power leveling

Guardian of Alterra King Richie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default What is your Opinion on Power leveling

This is a new forum for pocket legends news

Ok so guys give me your opinions on power leveling ?

Give me your pros and cons and if you disagree or agree with it what should be done to hinder or make it better ?

*begin rants*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

I've lvled up two characters to 50 and one to lvl 30 el natural. I don't feel bad abot power lvlig my new twink up to lvl 20.
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

It's gotten out of hand.
    People, at the very least, should only ask their friends for this favor -- not an entire forum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

I agree with lesrider, its not the experienced players lvling up new chars that are doing harm, it's the other people (noobs) who see us powerlvling and want to do it to. Irritant help with forum people make threads that say "free power leveling!" *cough* Ice *cough*
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Powerleveling is just cheating yourself out of enjoying the majority of the available content for the purpose of reaching the cap. The destination however pales in comparison to the journey. It doesn't take long at any cap for most capped players to get bored and start making twinks or new characters. I have a ton of characters and I may have done 20 levels combined on all of them powerleveling. I just have way more fun actually playing the game (that's why we're all here right, playing the game?). That said I have no problem with players who want to powerlevel their alts when they already have capped characters. I still think you are depriving yourself, but the main negative impact of powerleveling on the community is capped players who don't know how to play, which degrades the PL experience for everyone. The Mynas Gen was bad, but that was fixed by simply fixing a map, the situation is more complicated now. With the Mynas Gen, most capped players were opposed to the practice, now thanks to PL economy/CS/greed the Powerleveling problem is basically run and facilitated by high level players looking to make some easy gold at the expense of the community.
    Last edited by Royce; 02-06-2011 at 11:15 AM.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

I say it's good but bad
    Pros
    -you get to level up faster
    -should be used for alts
    -only ask friends
    Cons
    -shouldn't be used for first mains
    -creates the mynas gens(people who didn't level properly for there first char and become boneheads)
    -it creates spam threads for leveling
    -more beggars
    When there is too much

Don't forget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    It's gotten out of hand.
    People, at the very least, should only ask their friends for this favor -- not an entire forum.
    +1

Everyday there are more and more threads about people asking to be power leveled or about power leveling services.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

I'm going to nuke them with my LOGIC NUKE OF RESPONSIBLITYTUDE!!!!!!!
    When there is too much

Don't forget

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I don't have a problem with it so long as the person being powerleveled knows how to play their class when they've reached lvl cap. Of course the pitfall is if it's your first character, it's going to be hard to learn the game if you go from lvl 1 to lvl 50 in two or three days. It's just impossible, really, because not only are you missing out on hours of playing, but you're missing out on working on a team. If all you do is follow someone around while they do all the work, you can't learn skills or teamwork, and you won't have a friends list of people to play with by the end.

And I know people make exceptions for alts, but I'm finding that playing a different class requires time to learn. I know the game, so my learning curve isn't as steep with my bear and bird, but I still find each class different enough that I don't want to powerlevel them until I know how to use them well. And I've got to say, I'm enjoying the heck out of leveling my bear and bird.

I do have issues with so many powerleveling threads. At a glance, so many threads give the impression that powerleveling is no big deal and just part of the game culture. The more people create threads, the more any advice from older players is diluted, the more powerleveling is misunderstood... and so on. If I could make one change here on the forums, I would sticky one powerleveling thead and lock any new threads, just to keep it all in one place. I realize I'm looking at this as a player and not a forum mod and this will never happen, but I think it would help contain the powerleveling fever, at least here.

I've come to the conclusion that the real issue with demanding, entitled, horrible players isn't powerleveling per se, it's a system that rewards lazy players just as much as good players. I don't know how it can be fixed, but it just boggles me that someone can leap level after level without doing a thing. If the game allows lazy people to reach their goal without working for it, they're going to remain lazy and demanding. Fix the system so that there's no way to progress without learning how to play, and we'll see a lot of bad behaviour die off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No problems with it as long as the people learn the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really don't care one way or the other. I like joining pick up groups and I see good and bad players all the time. My silver lining take is that it adds a little variety to the experience. I've worked with really good groups where bears tank, mages heal and birds debuff and deal damage. In one group of mostly 40s (I think I was the only 50), we took down the Keeper with the shield going up just once.

I've also worked with really bad groups where the mage's idea of revving is to cast lightning and, when the dead toon remained dead, said, "Well, I tried." (One instance I was really happy I had health pots.) Then there was the bear who kept hiding behind a rock in ao3:1 while the birds and the Mage killed the boss.

You can avoid bad players by sticking with your friends or not joining pick up groups altogether.

You can also choose to just ignore power leveling threads. But I would argue those threads have a utility in that we know who are powerleveled and can avoid them. Or offer to mentor them, if you are feeling particularly altruistic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1.7 comes out what? tomorrow?
    I thought for sure I read that there's going to be minimum level requirements for dungeons when it's released...
    Last edited by powerandintent; 02-06-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by powerandintent View Post
    1.7 comes out what? tomorrow?
    I thought for sure I read that there's going to be minimum level requirements for dungeons when it's released...
    Not exactly. There will be a way to restrict games you create to players with at least the minimum level of the campaign. This will help avoid the parades of underlevel players that always try to join less than full higher level games if the host wants, but will really not change powerleveling since it is a host option.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

I have a few friends whose alts I've helped PLVL. These are people I play with regularly and who are good on their mains, who understand how to play the game, have read the guides for other classes and who will be awesome when they reach fifty with their new plvl'd alt. I see it as a benefit if I've helped PLVL a mage friend's bird so if we are doing runs and no good birds are on they can go bring their bird. If I'm PLVL'ing someone and a really low person comes in and starts leeching I'll usually boot because I don't know if they know how to play and don't want to help a crap player level. If there are 40's in there who are contributing and playing as part of the team I let them stay so they can help us lvl faster.

All in all it's something I can see some benefit to if it's my friend but with my alts I like to level naturally (well, I did have a friend jump me from 13 to 15 with my mage one night because I wanted to try out a new wand before I fell asleep and I was fading fastly. BUT my main is a mage and I believe I play her pretty well so I didn't feel bad about this).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Well first let me say this is my first post after lurking for a while. I have one of each character at 50. I did it the old fashion way of playing through the PvE game and have to say that nothing quite prepares you to know the role and abilities of your character like leveling the way the game was designed.

I get frustrated sometimes when I play through a map in AO3 and have level 50 players that simply don't understand the dynamics of a party or the way the characters play off of one another. The only explanation seems to be that these players powerleveled to the cap without learning to really play the game.

I mean the game is suppose to be fun and challenging. It is only challenging if you play through the boards at the right level. I can run through the Dark Forest farming (don't ask me why in the world these low level items are worth so much) without even thinking about what I am doing. What is the fun in that? If your goal is to simply max out your character, why are you playing the game? Where is the challenge?

Now if you are leveling an alt, no big deal. That happens all the time and I don't have a problem with it. But if it is your first time through with a character, bear, bird, or elf, why cheat yourself of the fun and challenge of playing through the levels.

Just my two cents. Maybe I am just tired of the people that have no idea how to play as a party. It is cooperative play for a reason. It isn't suppose to be 5 players randomly hacking their way through a board. It is suppose to be a party playing as a group, each doing their roll, so that the boards can be fun and rewarding for everyone.

So personally, I think powerleveling your main characters hurts player development and cheats the person out of the experience and fun of the game.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Power leveling you main is ridiculous. I have a number of characters I have leveled the normal way, including a pair of 50's. But I do power level my twinks. There are times I want a specific level character for a certain task or for PVP. In that case, I see no issue power leveling them, but some may disagree. What I usually do with them is power level them to the minimum of the area I want them for and then get the rest in the level. So for my swamp guy, I PL'd him to 30, and got from 30-35 in the swamps, and then froze him.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

I think it wrecks the game, and only leads to clueless noobs. Ill type more when in not on droid >.<

Also can I get a shout out for pitching the idea? XD

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

The issue with power-leveling is not power-leveling itself, but the extent in which power-leveling has spread that created a generation of lazy, uneducated players who can't control their character at all and beg for leech.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

That is exactly the problem. The other problem is what i have also been preaching
    Lots good 50s that boot inexperienced players b4 they explain what the inexperienced player is doing wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am abit tired of seeing alot of level 10+ and 20+ coming into the keeper map saying "please dont boot me". And I saw alot of level 50 having much lesser kills than my level 35 bird. Alot of unexperienced level 50 around due to power leveling.
    Brotherhood Rocks!

Palyna Level 66 full int mage
    Palyne Level 30 Bear