Thread: STR Sets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sheugokin View Post
    Ew....2000 lines.......

You like it???
    Its interesting and its fun making games but a simple game consisting of just addition, multiplication, subtraction and division is nearly 1000 lines of code, not including details like animations, transitions etc.

Now imagine finding a small thing wrong in thousands if not ten thousands of lines, then making it work so theres not stupid error(Which happens often ex: not spacing something)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

There's a Find button I think. Don't really have to go through all ten thousand lines. Just find the part where there's something wrong. Also there's a debug button. I think it finds mistakes in code or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

First off all, you're getting spawned by Staffmasters so you shouldn't be complaining. Also, you're level 73 so that might explain it. If you're having trouble fighting STR Players of your own level then you're not playing correctly. If you are not already full dex, go full dex. First thing to do when getting spawned is repulse. Opponent will miss at least 2 or 3 skills if it works. Then do your buffs, blind, break, root, shatter, blast, thorn wall (If you have). When stunned or frozen use avian scream. Make sure its at 4 or 5 (Idk which one makes u free). Use bow set, I usually prefer bow instead of talon, u can kill quickly. The STR Mage or Bear should be at low health / dead by now. One more break and combo should do it. If the pally uses MS, he/she has lost. First thing take away all mana. Repulse does a lot of damage followed by blind. This should bring it pretty low. Shattering to make it zero mana and blast shot to get rid of mana shield. From there use blind, break root, combo. Should be dead by now. Also buff whenever it comes up. Theres no need for meditation / heal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    When do you think I quit playing? I was around when the "nerf" was put in place. It took a little getting use to, but was not impossible. And you just admitted to staying alive for "a minute" before they finally landed a "Smash" combo, which means they missed/you dodged just as much as they did. If I were a bird and a fight lasted that long, I would retreat to gather myself.
    Me surviving a full minute of bear landing constanly beckon stomp and HS is very rare. And if it happens, I win.

Lets think it this way
    How long it takes from bird to kill full buffed bear: 1minute
    How long it takes from bear to kill full buffed bird: 0.5 seconds

Bear is tank class and Bird is damage class. Their damage seems to be equal tho, bird is just much weaker.

I am half STR currently too to compensate these 2 hit kills from mages and bears. Still, smash combo kills me and mages ice fire drain is insta kill too.
    Sometimes, when im lucky, I can kite bear or pally for that full minute but all that STR and str armors take my damage from talon to 290dmg. Which means basically I should keep nuking them for another 30 seconds before they die. With bow my regens armor and dodge are significantly lower which means basically 2 hit death almost every time. However it gives me total 385damage which is good in 2v2 scenario where one of these str gear frontline juggernauts are tanking for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bazinga! View Post
    First off all, you're getting spawned by Staffmasters so you shouldn't be complaining. Also, you're level 73 so that might explain it. If you're having trouble fighting STR Players of your own level then you're not playing correctly. If you are not already full dex, go full dex. First thing to do when getting spawned is repulse. Opponent will miss at least 2 or 3 skills if it works. Then do your buffs, blind, break, root, shatter, blast, thorn wall (If you have). When stunned or frozen use avian scream. Make sure its at 4 or 5 (Idk which one makes u free). Use bow set, I usually prefer bow instead of talon, u can kill quickly. The STR Mage or Bear should be at low health / dead by now. One more break and combo should do it. If the pally uses MS, he/she has lost. First thing take away all mana. Repulse does a lot of damage followed by blind. This should bring it pretty low. Shattering to make it zero mana and blast shot to get rid of mana shield. From there use blind, break root, combo. Should be dead by now. Also buff whenever it comes up. Theres no need for meditation / heal.
    Heal gives me isntantly 110 health at level 6 i think. When im using talon, If im fast I can survive full crit smash combo by using heal right after beckon. I will survive with like 40 health from that. I recommend at least 6 heal for any bird with at least 250 armor and 550 health (swift talon set) because it is suprisingly effective in some cases like pallys constant low dps because they miss most because of blind.

Back to STR gear nerf topic now ->

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Itoopeo View Post
    I am half STR currently too
    There is your main problem.

The other seems to be your switching between bow and talon. Both weapons have different ranges, different strengths/weaknesses, and require different combo's for EVERY class. You need to pick one, and stick with it, in order to get truly "good" at it.

Also, get rid of all but 1 point in heal. You are neglecting the other, more important skills.
    Last edited by CrimsonTider; 11-09-2014 at 11:09 AM.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

There is your main problem.

The other seems to be your switching between now and talon. Both weapons have different ranges, different strengths/weaknesses, and require different combo's for EVERY class. You need to pick one, and stick with it, in order to get truly "good" at it.

Also, get rid of all but 1 point in heal. You are neglecting the other, more important skills.
    Wouldn't say so, thorn wall is a cc skill and it just needs it's max range which isn't at max and the remaining points should be used to heal.

Toope, going dual spec only harms u. U lose significant amount of ur dmg potential and gain just a bit more of survivability which doesn't matter as str bears and pallies are able to dish way more dmg than u can. The only advantage u get from going dual spec is that u get slight advantage over pure dex birds, while being at disadvantage against any other class and spec.

And using a talon? Using talon is only good against birds and under average skilled pallies. Against str bears talons damage is so minimal it'll take that whole minute for u to even scratch them. And under average skilled pallies will find themselves mana hungry which may result in their death. Sure, talons DPS is awesome in paper, but the armor ratings are so high u r essentially doing like 50 dmg against str targets with ur auto attack. Talon also hampers ur skill dmg compared to bow. Not to mention ur dual spec str dex hybrid is very Dodge reliant build, which is ironic how this whole thread is almost raging about Dodge. Not good choices overall and I can see why u are getting frustrated.

I run with pure dex max dmg build, meaning I only use bows to maximize my overall dmg. Sure, u're squishy, but birds only purpose is to dish damage. Sure I get killed lotsa times vs str opponents, but that doesn't mean I'm not useful in ctf. I can blind and break armor tanks, break mana shields from mages, etc. Bird has come more and more about it's utilities than raw DPS. It's just something we will have to get used to. I try to be beneficial to my team by utilizing my skills as well as I can and after that objective is done, I focus on pewpewing ppl to death.
    Last edited by dudetus; 11-09-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dudetus View Post
    Wouldn't say so, thorn wall is a cc skill and it just needs it's max range which isn't at max and the remaining points should be used to heal.

Toope, going dual spec only harms u. U lose significant amount of ur dmg potential and gain just a bit more of survivability which doesn't matter as str bears and pallies are able to dish way more dmg than u can. The only advantage u get from going dual spec is that u get slight advantage over pure dex birds, while being at disadvantage against any other class and spec.

And using a talon? Using talon is only good against birds and under average skilled pallies. Against str bears talons damage is so minimal it'll take that whole minute for u to even scratch them. And under average skilled pallies will find themselves mana hungry which may result in their death. Sure, talons DPS is awesome in paper, but the armor ratings are so high u r essentially doing like 50 dmg against str targets with ur auto attack. Talon also hampers ur skill dmg compared to bow. Not to mention ur dual spec str dex hybrid is very Dodge reliant build, which is ironic how this whole thread is almost raging about Dodge. Not good choices overall and I can see why u are getting frustrated.

I run with pure dex max dmg build, meaning I only use bows to maximize my overall dmg. Sure, u're squishy, but birds only purpose is to dish damage. Sure I get killed lotsa times vs str opponents, but that doesn't mean I'm not useful in ctf. I can blind and break armor tanks, break mana shields from mages, etc. Bird has come more and more about it's utilities than raw DPS. It's just something we will have to get used to. I try to be beneficial to my team by utilizing my skills as well as I can and after that objective is done, I focus on pewpewing ppl to death.
    I know I haven't played in a while, but isn't the difference between having 1 heal and 5-6 heal approximately 30 points. In PvP, damage is way too high for that to matter. At least that's how it use to be. I am just going off of memory, and we all know, "geezer's" don't have much of it.
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts

I have played all types of bird since 2011.
    L71 Crusher set warbird (before nerf)
    L71 Recurve flying bird pure (before nerf)
    L71 Molten - fbow bird pure (before nerf)
    L71 Flying talon bird pure (after nerf)
    Now I am pretty much stuck with this kinda tanky build with decent damage.
    I know combos and differences betwen bow and talon sets.

Buffed talon:
    Name:  nimetön.png
Views: 95
Size:  172.5 KB
    (autoattacks deal 37 crits to bears)

Buffed bow:
    Name:  nimetön2.png
Views: 96
Size:  142.3 KB

Im not crying about dodge at all. This thread is about the damage of these str sets compared to dex sets.
    What im getting here with bow and half dex armors is 380damage. And I cant buff it up.
    Beastly and savage gives 365-370 base damage, and bears buff it up a lot, much higher than 400 damage.

To nerf str sets, their damage should be reduced to something like 290. So bears can buff up to that 365 with rage.
    That would also nerf pallys by a ton. No damage and bad sustain -> they all go for int. Int armors however are totally fine. No nerf needed.

Thorn wall is actually kinda important in build. It stops bears massive health regens and roots them in place.
    In CTF its AoE root is just great! See 2 mages and 1 bird somewhere without buffs -> Thorn wall+nuke they all die. They might kill you in trade but delayed thorn wall kills them with 150crit

Also when fighting pallys, their good reactions will cost them a good chunk health. Bird uses both roots - Normal root hits instantly and fast pally of course heals its fast off. BUT delayed thorn wall hits right after heal and she is rooted. Now just DPS and hope for dodges
    Last edited by Itoopeo; 11-09-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

I know I haven't played in a while, but isn't the difference between having 1 heal and 5-6 heal approximately 30 points. In PvP, damage is way too high for that to matter. At least that's how it use to be. I am just going off of memory, and we all know, "geezer's" don't have much of it.
    I'm running with Kanital's build. Has been working out with me, I only use thorn wall as an utility skill to root and mitigate some HP recovery from str sets. The delay time of thorn wall doesn't make it viable IMO for any aoe comboing, u're usually dead if u even try to do the regular bird combo. It's only useful sometimes in 1v1 situations, u might get lucky and heal just enough of HP to withstand 1 autoattack. And the small health recovery boost is nice utility in pve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dudetus View Post
    I'm running with Kanital's build. Has been working out with me, I only use thorn wall as an utility skill to root and mitigate some HP recovery from str sets. The delay time of thorn wall doesn't make it viable IMO for any aoe comboing, u're usually dead if u even try to do the regular bird combo. It's only useful sometimes in 1v1 situations, u might get lucky and heal just enough of HP to withstand 1 autoattack. And the small health recovery boost is nice utility in pve.
    Now that you mention it, I always played PvP with a PvE build. I took a combination of Paahud's build and used Physiologic's approach and tried to morph the two. But, I see you point.

@Itoopeo - As stated above, you are mixed which greatly decreases all of a bird's best attributes. You are also a 73 and are going to have a difficult time against 77-76's as they have 3-4 more skill points and 15-20 more attribute points than you, which is much more important than the stats of a set, IMO.

I understand you are arguing damage, but another major point you are missing is strength sets have always been meant for bears. When STS began developing these sets, it was with the specific class, and their attributes, in mind. Meaning, the game was/is meant to be played as a "pure". Taking this into consideration, the strength sets have to have a good deal of damage because, when playing as a pure bear, you cannot hit the ocean with any skill due to the low hit%. The corrective measure, which again has been discussed more times than it needs to be, is to raise the base stats on the strength sets to make them less advantageous for the "hybrid" classes and cause the game to be played more like it was always intended to be.

However, if you don't want to believe me, then look at dudetus's post above. He, and other veteran birds, will agree with me on how your build, and set selection, is more of the reason as to where you are seeing problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts

I have played all types of bird since 2011.
    L71 Crusher set warbird (before nerf)
    L71 Recurve flying bird pure (before nerf)
    L71 Molten - fbow bird pure (before nerf)
    L71 Flying talon bird pure (after nerf)
    Now I am pretty much stuck with this kinda tanky build with decent damage.
    I know combos and differences betwen bow and talon sets.

Buffed talon:
    Name:  nimetön.png
Views: 95
Size:  172.5 KB
    (autoattacks deal 37 crits to bears)

Buffed bow:
    Name:  nimetön2.png
Views: 96
Size:  142.3 KB

Im not crying about dodge at all. This thread is about the damage of these str sets compared to dex sets.
    What im getting here with bow and half dex armors is 380damage. And I cant buff it up.
    Beastly and savage gives 365-370 base damage, and bears buff it up a lot, much higher than 400 damage.

To nerf str sets, their damage should be reduced to something like 290. So bears can buff up to that 365 with rage.
    That would also nerf pallys by a ton. No damage and bad sustain -> they all go for int. Int armors however are totally fine. No nerf needed.

Thorn wall is actually kinda important in build. It stops bears massive health regens and roots them in place.
    In CTF its AoE root is just great! See 2 mages and 1 bird somewhere without buffs -> Thorn wall+nuke they all die. They might kill you in trade but delayed thorn wall kills them with 150crit

Also when fighting pallys, their good reactions will cost them a good chunk health. Bird uses both roots - Normal root hits instantly and fast pally of course heals its fast off. BUT delayed thorn wall hits right after heal and she is rooted. Now just DPS and hope for dodges
    I don't see why you stated that you played since 2011. Whenver someone says that, I TOTALLY disregard it. Please, I have been playing since 2011 too, and I suck compared to the pros. Bro, if you are STILL struggling after the nerf for a good year now, please re-evaluate your own build/sets/level/combos before making a rage thread about bears.

Maybe you should re-title this thread to "How do I defeat STR characters," and we would gladly help you.

Currently, you are acting stubborn by defending your point of view, which by the way I am not against, but at least take other people's perspectives into consideration. Now that NativeX is up and running, get like 20 plat and start playing around with your build. I will guarantee you that you will find a build that will defeat STR sets.

And level up please. You'll see a HUGE difference using Elite Bow set/Lustrous set for 77 against bears. Jesus, in CTF those lustrous birds can instantly kill you.

That reminds me, does anyone remember IAlvinI/IIAlvinII/IIIAlvinIII/Alvindarthx?

If you do Itoopeo, please try to contact him because he can beat bears ANYDAY.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Birds have tiny range advantage over bear
    Technically a bear out ranges bird. With their stun and beckon hitting us from 12m 80% of the time, the bird can't kite. If we are stunned by HS bears can just walk up to us, and if beckon hits then there is no use for bird range.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

These lust and savage sets are so damn op on mage and bear.

Lets compare - scenario 4pc armor bird versus bear (swift talon vs savage scytche) Bird has to throw combo two or three times before bear dies. All bear has to do is press two skills. - 700 damage.

The bird damage and dodge nerf made us very weak against str set classes.
    STR set beastly is basically same as flying talon set but it has more damage, dodge and armor. Nothing difference basically.

Birds should get the damage back but dodge can be same (still im hitting 64 dodge with talon and 56 with bow)
    Its just not acceptable that tank and support class both deal more damage than the actual damage class.

There is like no way dex bird could somehow compare to str set bear or mage.

Attachment 108683
    Note: pally holding bird in spawn room and bear doing flags

And its totally legal!
    9 Rage, 9 Beckon, 9 Stomp = Holy.