Thread: Regarding how Happiness Bonus affects Pet Damage/Speed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Default Regarding how Happiness Bonus affects Pet Damage/Speed.

I'll keep this short. After a few rounds of tests (100 samples each). Came up with this question:
    -Why do certain types of pets attack faster than others? Wasn't it stated by a dev somewhere that all arcanes have the same attack speed?

It would be awesome if we could get a simple answer here so they're not incorrectly listed as bugs. Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------

Update:
    This appears to be happening because of the deceiving difference between damage and DPS where only the first is listed in pets' descriptions/stable yet the actually important one is the later.
    Last edited by Madnex; 02-27-2015 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Rephrased question after getting different perspective and results (thanks to sery).

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Madnex For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Pets used for comparison:

Singe
    Samael
    Grimm/Slag
    Blinky
    Gyrm
    Ethyl
    Wurmtongue
    Courage
    Dart
    Malison
    Haze
    Shadowlurk
    Dauphin
    Dovabear
    Blight
    Ribbit
    Glacian
    Scortch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Finally someone posts this. If you compare Arcane pets attack speed, it's like Hammerjaw and Glacian are on tranquilizers and Samael is on Meth.

The pet damage stat is a blatant lie. Just change the 'damage' stat to happy faces or golden stars, it means about the same thing.

Really the pet damage stat should read as a DPS stat, not a Damage stat.

This is a HUGE deal that I'm not sure why people don't realize or throw a stink about.
    ORIGINAL ART BY CARLOS ORTEGA ELIZALDE
    46 R/W/M | <E N I G M A T I C> | CARROTS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Exactly! There are so many unmentioned details! For example, the maximum possible targets for each pets passive affects the damage per unit; single or two targets passives from legendary pets deal way more damage than four or six target passives of arcane pets.

The indication is deceiving in so many ways. It leads people to believe the pets have similar damage output which is completely false and actually depends on:

1)Pet attack speed which is unique to each pet and is not mentioned anywhere nor such factor is hinted.
    2)Pet's passive maximum target range, the higher it is the less damage is dealt even if you're facing just one mob.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Madnex For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Fastest attack pets: Samael/Abaddon/Grimm (More like those undead, no legs pets lol)
    and also samael seems to crit way more and higher than other pets. Example level 9 rogue gets max hitted by glacian around 30-45 (crit included), but samael's attack seems to hit around 30 to even 65 (crit included)! And not only that, he attacks 2x faster than glacian

Slowest attack pets: Glacian then scorch, singe (compared to other overall legendary pets)

However glacian is a recolor of slag, slag seems to attack WAY faster than glacian, they should have the same attack speed imo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Correct. Add Blinky to the first group too. It's not all about speed though. Try leveling a spider pet to L41.. double damage. The higher damage pet unit belongs to pets that can only hit 1-2 targets at a time with exceptions like Valkin. Yes, Glacian is ridiculously slow, probably intentionally since the freezing was probably designed to be more potent than what it currently is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madnex View Post
    Correct. Add Blinky to the first group too. It's not all about speed though. Try leveling a spider pet to L41.. double damage. The higher damage pet unit belongs to pets that can only hit 1-2 targets at a time with exceptions like Valkin. Yes, Glacian is ridiculously slow, probably intentionally since the freezing was probably designed to be more potent than what it currently is.
    Glacian also has substantially lower damage per hit than legendary and some epic pets of equal level. I recorded the times each pet takes to kill the first mob in elite reef (using just passive attack), and the results were appalling. Yes, the 40's would be a bit faster once hitting 41, but not enough to make up such a massive difference.

From fastest to slowest:
    Samael (41): 36 seconds
    Abaddon (41): 45 seconds
    Grimm (41): 55 seconds
    Blinky (40): 60 seconds
    Slag (40): 1:08
    Haze (40): 1:34
    Scorch (40): 1:48
    Glacian (40): 2:15

Yes, Glacian takes 1 minute and 15 seconds LONGER to kill a single mob than Blinky does. What's wrong with this picture? Don't even get me started on the 250 plat I paid for the almost-as-useless Scorch.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Serancha For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Wonder if the crit happiness bonus is also present on the pet's passive attack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts

You know, here in the forums there are practically tonnes of diligent members creating guides and their feed back on AL. What I want to see is a Mod/Dev copy and paste the statistics of the pets onto a post and let us read it.

At least that way we an see in foresight what the pet will be like, it's statistical value too so if we see anything wavering from these numbers we can report.

P.S.
    Please Buff Scorch or at least let us have a refund on him, it's not our fault that we can't see how little his shield reduced. Fact is, just add like 10% DMG buff and make his shield protect against 10k DMG+. One and a half pots is not worth 250 plat!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Personally I don't see that speed is related to pet passive attack. After all, Scorch has 15% speed in happiness and is almost as slow as glacian.

Sam and blinky have no speed, but are 2 of the fastest.

Haze has both speed and damage, and its attack is identical speed to malison, who has neither.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serancha View Post
    Personally I don't see that speed is related to pet passive attack.
    If you read the first post carefully, that part of the theory (speed% affecting passive hits' speed) was dropped at the original edit of the first post two days ago - it did seem so, when comparing Abaddon/Slag/Grimm to other pets and arcanes but it turned out not to be the case.

For the rest, I guess we won't be getting an answer. Maybe they just designed their stats and passive effects with their DPS in mind, maybe not. The problem is that with so many hidden variables (speed changing per pet, damage% affecting pet damage, maximum target limit also affecting damage) the damage indication in the stable is currently very inaccurate if not plain useless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Ah i didn't see the edit. Retracted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

Try out dova, also kills very fast, almost as fast as abaddon. Seems like a common theme of a lot of the pets that kill fast is that they lower armor, or some other defensive stat, and cause damage over time with bleed, poison, etc... Is very odd. Wish they could add a little bit of uniformity to the damage of the pets rather than giving a misleading damage stat. I guess not surprising given the multitude of other misleading stats that have plagued the game. Thanks for the info. Was an eye opener when I tested out about 10 of my Lvl41 pets myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drgrimmy View Post
    Try out dova, also kills very fast, almost as fast as abaddon. Seems like a common theme of a lot of the pets that kill fast is that they lower armor, or some other defensive stat, and cause damage over time with bleed, poison, etc... Is very odd. Wish they could add a little bit of uniformity to the damage of the pets rather than giving a misleading damage stat. I guess not surprising given the multitude of other misleading stats that have plagued the game. Thanks for the info. Was an eye opener when I tested out about 10 of my Lvl41 pets myself.
    Dova's damage per hit is in the expected levels but the heavy bleed on passive deals a lot of damage whenever it occurs - also Dova has that awesome little detail that whenever it lands the finishing hit on a mob, the mob explodes as if killed by charged bow skill! I'd suggest you try leveling Wurm or Crawly and you'll be truly shocked (both DoT and ton of damage)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Lol you found the most complicated bugs always, yet, they cannot fix even trivial ones.
    Please stop these threads xd
    It's interesting tho, but we all know this never gona fixed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

I posted this at level 36 cap.

Shadowlurk can do a ton of damage too - I've had at times him doing almost 450 damage per hit with a 150 bonus hit, so 600 damage for '1 swing' at level 40. It makes Hammerjaws 'big' hits seem pathetic in comparison.

I advocate the damage stat still being changed to the gold star or smiley face system used in elementary school. My pet's damage gets 3 gold stars! Meanwhile Glacian would get 1/2 a gold star with a 'please try harder' on his report card.
    ORIGINAL ART BY CARLOS ORTEGA ELIZALDE
    46 R/W/M | <E N I G M A T I C> | CARROTS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts

haha i started a pet guide when sam first came out, i took ss,diffferent mobs,damage buffs etc....... but then i gave up because i saw lot of wierd things that may or not be bugs. my conclusion was ...it is what it is XD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts

ok, regarding speed and why pets trail..I asked carpace the question about speeds..and he gave a small answer in this video.
    http://www.twitch.tv/spacetimestudios/b/595367965
    fast forward 16min in the video where carpace is playing.

also im someplayerz in twitch..that the questions i ask.

long story short...pets trail because they can aggro enemies..and if your are trying to be sneaky in elite..it wont happen.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=54483&dateline=131136  6901
    PL-Ghosts | SL-DL-AL- Ghost | SL-DL-AL-Octavos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jexetta View Post
    Shadowlurk can do a ton of damage too - I've had at times him doing almost 450 damage per hit with a 150 bonus hit, so 600 damage for '1 swing' at level 40. It makes Hammerjaws 'big' hits seem pathetic in comparison.
    Hmm his damage seems in line with the expected results. Perhaps what you saw was the triple damage ignition proc?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexetta View Post
    I advocate the damage stat still being changed to the gold star or smiley face system used in elementary school. My pet's damage gets 3 gold stars! Meanwhile Glacian would get 1/2 a gold star with a 'please try harder' on his report card.
    Yeah, Glacian has it pretty bad. Unsure why his damage is that low when his maximum target limit being three and such a slow attacking speed. My aforementioned take on this is that the "root" effect was overestimated and the low damage is intentional. He's still somewhat useful.. until they fix the darned PvP scalars' issue!

Quote Originally Posted by octavos View Post
    long story short...pets trail because they can aggro enemies..and if your are trying to be sneaky in elite..it wont happen.
    That's perfectly fine and understood ghost, we're discussing the inaccuracy of the pet's damage display here though.

Pets have a radius similar to the size of Singe's AA circle wherein, if their owner is inside, they'll prioritize targeting nearby enemies over picking up loot and then over following. Basically, if the owner walks too far away, they'll ignore mobs/loot and just follow until they're in range again.