Thread: The woes of a casual player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The woes of a casual player

I think the developers did a great job with t1.7. I can also see the seeds of future growth interwoven within. But as a casual but dedicated player- (read: lack of time- I play for 1-3 hour/day) I am having some issues, I’m board and overwhelmed.

I’ll admit I want to have the best equipment ((high lvl is good,too). It took me to yesterday to finally hit lvl 51. Which is fine, but I can’t get my mind around the incredible number of people above that (esp 55’s). If they are just playing more, more dedicated, I’m good. Problem is they typically have what they are doing. -I’m probably not talking about the board members. They just did XP runs. I think the fun of the game is the challenge of learning the maps and how to kill the bosses. I don’t want to re-do keeper just for points or pot and rmk prior to boss. I can not believe how many upper lvl people will actually try against a boss, have no idea what they are doing, die, then leave. of course that leaves a mass exodus, and me alone. (if i has more consecutive time I might be able to fine a good group, but I usually play in 30-45min spots).
    So far the answer would be (and probably still is) let them play there game, you play yours. Unfortunately I’m loosing motivation to play. Going through a map get you so little in gold, equipment or even straight XP (my least desirable) it hardly seems worth it. The bosses hare so hard to do with people bailing and bad groups. then when I finally get one I either end up with nothing or a measly yellow. I’ve don’t a lot of the quest, hoping to get materials, ect for later, but still get stuck on the boss thing.

(rant off)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, that sucks. I considered myself quite the casual player but I've realised that grinding 53-55 in an evening isn't really casual. Just do some quests. When you feel like it, do a few keeper runs just to get a bit gold and exp. It isn't really that funny but if you eventually get a good group you can chat a bit and just have a pretty good time.

I never play when I'm not doing anything else. This morning I was watching Bones and taking a walk on the staircase machine (or wtf it's called). Ofc, I was playing PL as well. I think the game will pretty much stabilize quite soon. The drops will be a bit more consistent and ppl will be done panic lvling to 55.

I hope you find something to do in the mean time, because it's a great game. Just that it gets quite boring if you play it for long, consecutive periods of time.
    There is no "I" in team. There is a "me" however, if you jumble it up a bit.

Guardian of Alterra DawnInfinity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

I feel similarly to you. I can only play a little bit due to school, and I'm still level 50. Constantly running Keeper for exp is too repetitive and not worth it, imho. I like playing the Sewers casually, and I gradually gain exp, which I don't mind.
    *Follow my blog, and I'll love you forever *
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    She's not hot, she's sexy. Sexy steph
    Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    does it matter? we all praise and adore your presence, may your light fall upon our eyes...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

i dont really want to play yet, not am i able to, but if i take too long to get back in soon there will be 55 only games... and that is when chaos starts
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I dunno, I was really excited at first but now not so much.
    Maybe it's the lack of any sort of drops besides a couple of oranges from the whole dungeon?
    And since everyone's saying the lvl 55 pinks are worse than the lvl 50 sets, there's no fire under me to get in there and farm.

I still think it's a great campaign, but I'm just not getting that "omg omg I gotta play" feeling I got when ao3 just came out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I was starting to get a little bit frustrated too, when I hadn't even seen a pink drop in the first few days. Then yesterday I saw pinks drop on consecutive farming runs of Roach Motel. Unfortunately, wasn't me. But it did give me a little boost. So I'm not giving up yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

ya not movitated to move up, checked the stats of new 55 eq, seems to go backward. I feel all my caves sets are better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

See the way I see it casual playing is the only way to go, cause a lot of people rush through things get everything done quick than just sit complain that there is nothing to do, I just play like an hour a day, do a quest, get some exp, chill a bit in a city and I will have plenty to do till the next major update.
    And the way some casual player disappoint them self in the game is they log in from time to time and all they got on their mind is " I gotta get me a pink" so they finish playing for the night and they didn't receive a pink, so now they are unhappy with the game because it did not give them what they wanted.

Just log in each time to have some fun and I promise you, you won't be logging out disappointed.

Birdman out!!
    IAMBIRDMAN LVL50 SNIPER
    IAMTHEBEAR LVL45 TANK
    IAMABOOMSTICK LV45 NUKER/HEALER
    I put reality into words.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iambirdman View Post
    See the way I see it casual playing is the only way to go, cause a lot of people rush through things get everything done quick than just sit complain that there is nothing to do, I just play like an hour a day, do a quest, get some exp, chill a bit in a city and I will have plenty to do till the next major update.
    And the way some casual player disappoint them self in the game is they log in from time to time and all they got on their mind is " I gotta get me a pink" so they finish playing for the night and they didn't receive a pink, so now they are unhappy with the game because it did not give them what they wanted.

Just log in each time to have some fun and I promise you, you won't be logging out disappointed.

Birdman out!!
    Oh I completely agree -- for this campaign, at least, casual is the way to go.
    But I think I'm going from casual to not playing at all...
    Could also be all the RL stuff on my mind, tho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    I dunno, I was really excited at first but now not so much.
    Maybe it's the lack of any sort of drops besides a couple of oranges from the whole dungeon?
    And since everyone's saying the lvl 55 pinks are worse than the lvl 50 sets, there's no fire under me to get in there and farm.

I still think it's a great campaign, but I'm just not getting that "omg omg I gotta play" feeling I got when ao3 just came out.
    I think that's it. No bank for the buck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just playing, and realize a lot of the draw is advancing to better equipment/stats. lvls are just an ends to the means. with the new changes, equipment is too hard to get, an not that much (or not at all better).

an example- in the last hour or so, I was playing mostly Bandit boy hideout to get blanky for a quest. He after around 8-9 runs I finally got him. during these runs, most groups actually tried to get gold finger (or whatever his name is.) I consider him one of the easier bosses in BS. only three groups succeeded. (I was in one group with 2 lvl 55, on 54, a 51 and me.). even after telling them about the green chest, no one listen, after they a few dies, reved, they left. ). Of the 3 wins, drops were 1-3 yellows (lowest) each time, of which, despite leading, I got none.
    so what did that get me? I'm not sure where my XP was to begin with but I have 1384/5726. (probably started around 8-900.
    (alright, I'll stop my bitching now.....I think)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

You've probably got months to level and gear up. As a casual player, why rush? Just play as you like, and eventually levels and drops will come (took me until I was 54.9 to get a BS pink drop ). I think the new XP system and the BS drop rate is excellent. A cap usually gets old pretty fast, even the casual players are capped and geared in no time, then wait months for something new.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ya, at my current daily exp rate it would take 4 months to hit 56. If there's an update a quarter, I'll never get the vanity level. It's really ok. If they made it so casual players could make it in a month, the harcores would cap it in a couple of days, and we'll never beat them in a whine-off to the devs because nm, gtg...

Jk. The whole point of PL for me is that it's fun for five minutes and also fun for an hour. If I had some sort of RL change to where I was free to play something 8 hours a day every day, I probably couldn't afford internet access & it probably wouldn't be an iPhone game, but to each their own I guess.

I do wonder how they do keep it up though, especially the sleep depravation day after day. It would be pretty funny if the whole thing was a set up to out account sharing cheaters and the first character to crow "56" gets banned cause the logs show four devices using it in four time zones every day... Or FSM help us, a PL glider!
    Xymorg --- Xymian --- Xymli

A E O
    Proud owner of 20 charm points! /arcane