Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dex or Str Bear and weapon Choice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dex or Str Bear and weapon Choice

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to ask too many noob questions (first time playing), just wondering does STR or DEX give Bears more hit(Damage)? Also i am currently using a melee weapon, however i have been reading up on the forums that some bears uses bows, is that more effective? And lastly is it better for a bear to tank or deal damage in terms of a party environment and soloing content?

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Welcome!

Str adds more of the tank stats: Dodge (I think it gives more than dex, not sure), Armor, Health, and one some exact points, H/S.

Dex gives more of the offensive stats : Crit, Hit, and damage (base/DPS, have to check again if it can compare to str).

Yes bow bears can be quite good, but I prefer them as what they were really meant for, Str. Its more effective in dealing damage, definitely, but survivability is sacrificed.

Also for the party environment, assuming you have at least 1 bird and 1 mage, the bear is always best to tank. For solo-ing, your probably gonna want a balance of both. Tank enough to live alone, but enough damage to actually kill and not just take damage.

Hope it helps!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for your help :P, just realized that your can re organise your stats so that will help , sorry just one more question to you or anyone, is it effective to go a balance of dex and str (For example enough str to use your required equipment and rest on dex?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Very effective if your looking to balance your tank/damage abilities.

There's also the option to dual spec (check my guide in my signature), but thats only up to level 50, haven't had enough time to test out for 55/56 yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for all your help, i will try having a balance with a melee weapon and see how it goes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find that a full dex bear with dual swords deals alot of damage about half armor of full str bear but it kills quick if you use it right and survive while soloing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfendragon View Post
    I find that a full dex bear with dual swords deals alot of damage about half armor of full str bear but it kills quick if you use it right and survive while soloing
    They'd only deal high damage with a full and complete group.

Dual Swords have low base damage which means you need to armor debuff the target to actually get high DPS. Furthermore, the bears are the only classes that don't have an armour debuff. =/

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post

Dual Swords have low base damage which means you need to armor debuff the target to actually get high DPS. Furthermore, the bears are the only classes that don't have an armour debuff. =/
    Ellyidiol,

What do you recommend an up-and-coming bear who is destined to swap between a Shotgun and a Mynas Scimitar when he reaches Level 50? While he's currently at Level 23, he might as well pick up all the premium pink gear that has the needed stat boosts to swap between one and two handed weapons?

Based on your guide, I need to pick up the Conqueror's Ursan Helmet. What do you recommend for the other three? Conqueror's Board and Nail, etc? Thanks in advance!
    AL : Blewe | Corrvus | Urrsus
    PL : Anichelith | Corrvus | Urrsus | Rrhino
    Member of Average Joes and C.O.T.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is interesting. For leveling I've been using a 2h sword setup. I just adjusted my stats and balanced them out a little bit more between strength and dexterity. It looks like my hit rating has greatly improved so I can't wait to try it out later. I don't really tank much at my current level but that is my goal in the end. Thanks for the discussion!
    Xiaou - 45 Warrior, Phusion - 28 Enchantress, Eiaou - 8 Archer

Current Expansions: ALL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have to disagree. A pure Dex based bear, dual wielding, gets 159 - 177 base damage when using a full death set. And that's without the use of Rage.
    Last edited by Anthony_; 02-25-2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Typo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neko View Post
    Ellyidiol,

What do you recommend an up-and-coming bear who is destined to swap between a Shotgun and a Mynas Scimitar when he reaches Level 50? While he's currently at Level 23, he might as well pick up all the premium pink gear that has the needed stat boosts to swap between one and two handed weapons?

Based on your guide, I need to pick up the Conqueror's Ursan Helmet. What do you recommend for the other three? Conqueror's Board and Nail, etc? Thanks in advance!
    If you can pick them up, so much the better. But I don't think they're THAT expensive now.

I don't have any special recommendations, since they all work the same

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_ View Post
    I have to disagree. A pure Dex based bear, dual wielding, gets 161 - 179 base damage when using a full death set. And that's without the use of Rage.
    Yeah, but replace that dual sword with a good bow, and you'd be dealing even more damage.

I don't see the point of going dual swords with dex since you want to be ranged in the first place, hence going dex.

IMO, bears also get their huge chunk of damage from their 3 slashes, and not normal attacks, so a higher base damage for these skills would be good. Though I'm not familiar with how the allocation of skill damage from dual swords is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you can pick them up, so much the better. But I don't think they're THAT expensive now.

I don't have any special recommendations, since they all work the same

Yeah, but replace that dual sword with a good bow, and you'd be dealing even more damage.

I don't see the point of going dual swords with dex since you want to be ranged in the first place, hence going dex.

IMO, bears also get their huge chunk of damage from their 3 slashes, and not normal attacks, so a higher base damage for these skills would be good. Though I'm not familiar with how the allocation of skill damage from dual swords is.
    Going Dex purely for the sake of range? That's a stupid statement, it's really all a matter of interest.

I think what people find so attractive about dual daggers is the moderately high damage, accompanied by it's 0.6 speed.

But anyway, I didn't come here to discuss any of that. You said dual daggers only deal high damage in a full party which supplies debuffs, since they apparently have a low base damage. Which they in fact don't.

Edit: My apologizes if this came off as rude. I just don't enjoy getting involved in "what is better then what" debates. I'm more of a "which one looks cooler" kind of guy.
    Last edited by Anthony_; 02-25-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_ View Post
    Going Dex purely for the sake of range? That's a stupid statement, it's really all a matter of interest.

I think what people find so attractive about dual daggers is the moderately high damage, accompanied by it's 0.6 speed.

But anyway, I didn't come here to discuss any of that. You said dual daggers only deal high damage in a full party which supplies debuffs, since they apparently have a low base damage. Which they in fact don't.
    By dex I mean a gun/bow.

Yeah they have good DPS, then again so does a talon, but it doesn't make it a good damage dealer.

It becomes really good the better your group is though, much like how a dagger becomes really good when you have a couple of birds and a mage in your group.

And for a 2H, it does have quite low base damage. I just bought a 50 Pink Str dual sword, and the gurgox hammer doubles the base damage for just 10 or so DPS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

They have rage and iron blood for high armor buff and high attack buff!
    When there is too much

Don't forget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

By dex I mean a gun/bow.

Yeah they have good DPS, then again so does a talon, but it doesn't make it a good damage dealer.

It becomes really good the better your group is though, much like how a dagger becomes really good when you have a couple of birds and a mage in your group.

And for a 2H, it does have quite low base damage. I just bought a 50 Pink Str dual sword, and the gurgox hammer doubles the base damage for just 10 or so DPS.
    I was just simply correcting you on dual dagger base damage. Don't know why you're jumping from one thing to another.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Yeah, thanks, but it is low.

How am I jumping from one thing to another? I'm still talking about damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, thanks, but it is low.

How am I jumping from one thing to another? I'm still talking about damage.
    159 - 177 base damage doesn't really seem that low.

You start talking about bows, and str dual swords. I wasn't trying to start any sort of debate about weapon usage based on damage. Frankly, I don't care.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

It is for a 2H.

You are talking about dual swords aren't you? Because if your talking about a Dex dual sword, that's what I meant when I dont see the point why when your Dex is for being able to use a gun/bow. If you wanted melee it could be better to use Str gear.

Yeah your input was useful, thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Elly is one of the best bears in the game, and well-respected. Being a too-cool-for-school keyboard warrior and being snotty isn't going to make you cooler.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It is for a 2H.

You are talking about dual swords aren't you? Because if your talking about a Dex dual sword, that's what I meant when I dont see the point why when your Dex is for being able to use a gun/bow. If you wanted melee it could be better to use Str gear.

Yeah your input was useful, thanks.
    I understand, but like I said, I wasn't trying to get into a "which is a better choice" debate, lol. Just wanted to throw it out there that dual dagger base damage isn't low. That's it.