Thread: Best PvP mage combo?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Default Best PvP mage combo?

I like my pure-int mage. Mage is my second class, but it's become my main because I like it the most.

One thing that I have been having difficulty with though is the best mage PvP combo. Most of my encounters with birds have not ended well. I can handle bears and most other mages reasonably well, but not birds. I mostly play 5v5, operating as staying near the middle of my team and blasting away with spells when I get the chance.

I was in an Alien Underground game and to my misfortune, ran into Lone. I was dead before I could get half my combo off. I don't imagine that I will be 1v1ing top notch players anytime soon, but I would like to know what's the best combos? It's inevitable that I will find myself in more 1v1 encounters against birds.

For bird, the consensus is (from Physiologic's guide) :
    Focus->Evasion->Thorn Root->Break Armor->Shattering Scream->Blast Shot->Blinding Shot->Repulse Shot

What about for mages?

Current build here.

Right now, probably the biggest challenge is to survive to release all of the spells. If I could get the right combo and the survive long enough to unload it, I'm sure I could probably win most encounters. I've tried pally, but I really can't stand the loss in firepower now that I'm used to pure int, especially in PvE games.

Edit Current Combo:

Blessings before encounter
    Nightmare > Weakness > Lightning > Hot Flash > Drain Life > Frostbite; I often die at hot flash

I'm thinking about removing weakness.

Maybe:

Nightmare > Drain Life > Lightning > Hot Flash > Frostbite ? The weakness (assuming I or the enemy is still alive).
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 02-14-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Against archers and mages I recommend buffing (both blessings, revive (+1-2 armor +2 damage + 1 ms) then mana shield) and then use life lightning life drain, ice storm, frostbite, then fire storm. You don't usually need to use terror or weakness since that nuke alone should wreck them both. Due to them both having Low dodge and armor, and weakness and nightmare costing so much mana and taking more time in the combo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

So you don't think its worth doing the armor debuff?