Thread: Taunt..?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Taunt..?!

Ok, first off i have a level 43 full tank spec bear with a touch of dex (50) to get my hit% up a lil. I have the taunt and beckon spells fully maxed out and half the time for the life of me im spamming the life outa my taunt spell to no effect. What good is this spell if i cant pull aggro off a level 40 dex bird or caster, this spell needs to be modified immediately. Ive tanked in several games throughought the years and if theres one thing ive learned.. u can take away all our damage spells but please, please make our taunts work correctly its what were there for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Taunt works but often only briefly. Birds and mages need to allow the tank to establish aggro first but often don't. The best thing you can do for your team regardless of aggro, is to beckon and stomp into a surface then keep mobs stunned with hellscream and beckoning back to the wall when they start to move. The stun effects will still keep your squishy teamates from taking as much damage, even if they are pulling aggro from you. I agree the effect of taunt could be made a bit stronger, but if they made it too strong there would be no point in team strategy any more. Bears could just keep taunting and no one else would ever have to worry about anything but AOE damage. Perhaps they could make it stronger but also lengthen the cooldown.
    Last edited by Royce; 02-15-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Typos
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I also have a small question on taunt. It works, definitely, but thats my experience from being a lone bear.

It shows especially on Gold Fever. If there are 2 or more bears, taunt seems to not work anymore. I'd understand if the aggro goes from bear to the next, but the aggro goes to a bird/mage instead.

I don't know if 2 taunts put the mob to a "neutral" state instead with no aggro, but it seems that way when there are 2 or more bears. =/

None of your business, creeper... Geez...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    I also have a small question on taunt. It works, definitely, but thats my experience from being a lone bear.

It shows especially on Gold Fever. If there are 2 or more bears, taunt seems to not work anymore. I'd understand if the aggro goes from bear to the next, but the aggro goes to a bird/mage instead.

I don't know if 2 taunts put the mob to a "neutral" state instead with no aggro, but it seems that way when there are 2 or more bears. =/
    With this in mind, assuming it DOES neutralize aggro, I'd Taunt to reset immediately following with beckon to 1. Bring the mobs to you 2. keep the mobs off the squishy one of the team and 3. Bring the aggro to you with beckon's damage.
    Expert pvp builder and tester, horrible execution XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    I was trying to be optimistic. Thanks for eating my fries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HerWolf View Post
    With this in mind, assuming it DOES neutralize aggro, I'd Taunt to reset immediately following with beckon to 1. Bring the mobs to you 2. keep the mobs off the squishy one of the team and 3. Bring the aggro to you with beckon's damage.
    Yup, when this happens I try my best to keep him beckoned in a corner. Then again with another bear (there are really bad ones out there) who beckon in a corner and send it flying around, its kinda hard to just keep it stuck even with no taunt.

Weird thing is, it attacks me or any bear, but when it bombs (which is what kills) it bombs the other members. 0.0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree that there has to be a nice balance between damage, taunting, and aggro but if im in a pre buffed battle which i establish first aggro with a boss or even a lesser djinn for that matter, and a quarter of the way through the battle i cant pull the aggro off one of my damage dealers even with me spamming my taunt to the point of no mana theres a problem. If im not the primary damage dealer, nor can i heal and ressurect noone, shouldnt i at least be able to hold reasonable aggro from the tougher enemies or in times of fast paced grinding?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I've gone back and forth on this and I think the end result is what Royce said, taunt works, but not all the time, and if it did what worry would the mages/birdies have? I would like to see it slightly a bit stronger, but not much.

Also, I swear everytime I taunt near a grate it explodes, anybody else have this experience?

BTW Elly, you do a great job of keeping the bad guy(s) off the squishy members of the party!

Kraz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

Beckon really helps. As does stomp when you need to move mobs off your buddies. I use taunt+beckon to get mobs initially so birds/mages can get their inital damages and roots in. And of course, always try to get into a corner. If that's not available, walls are next best.

Basically the more you can get yourself between the attackers and the rest of your group, the better things work out. If there's another bear doing taunt/beckon, I try not to interfere, unless I see a mage/bird in trouble. Sometimes though tossing mobs between the bears is quite fun: Bear 1 groups, everyone blasts; bear 2 groups the remainder, everyone blasts.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Idk maybe its just me but in my opinion mages and bitds should NOT have anything to worry about when there in a dungeon with a bear i mean isnt that the while reason for a tank..? As i said we suck at damage, debuffing, group buffs, healing, ressurecting or any type of decent aoe at the very very least we should be able to hold complete aggro if thats all were meant to do. This 2 second aggro is bs specially in long boss battles if i cant hold aggro and im doin wack damage and i cant heal, and i cant do nothin but an occasional beckon only to have the same mob run right back and start owning my mages. There is no reason during a boss battle i shouldnt be able to EASILY hold aggro. So yea in my opinion in the definition of a tank, mages and birds should have nothing to worry about thats what a TANK is for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Kraz,

Yeah I think taunt sets off grates. Only stomp and hell scream seem to work okay.

Only learned from the same tank school as you remember, Kraz!