Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I'm Liking My Bird Less and Less

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why I'm Liking My Bird Less and Less

I don't even like to play PvE that much on my bird anymore due to the amount of potions I use. My gear has little to no regen on it, and I'm constantly restocking my pots. At first I didn't mind, but now its starting to wear on me. Then I get on my mage and I use practically no potions because I have over 20 M/S and H/S. Now I'm thinking to myself, why play the bird in PvE at all? I save so much more money playing my mage.

Also, in PvP, if I kill 3-4 people in a row with my bird then I'm completely oom (out of mana); and even if I have full hp from regen or heals, I'm a sitting duck with no mana.
    With my mage this wouldn't be a problem because of his great health AND mana regen.
    From my experience, mages can kill just as well as birds (mages seem much harder to kill now than pre 1.7 but maybe that's just me), but they also have muuch more longevity through regen.

Haven't played my bear in a while so I'm not sure how they play into all
    this.

Thoughts? Comments?
    Anejeden - 55 bird
    Turkster - 53 mage
    Turksterr - 43 bear
    Anejedenx - 15 twink mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Turkster View Post
    I don't even like to play PvE that much on my bird anymore due to the amount of potions I use. My gear has little to no regen on it, and I'm constantly restocking my pots. At first I didn't mind, but now its starting to wear on me. Then I get on my mage and I use practically no potions because I have over 20 M/S and H/S. Now I'm thinking to myself, why play the bird in PvE at all? I save so much more money playing my mage.

Also, in PvP, if I kill 3-4 people in a row with my bird then I'm completely oom (out of mana); and even if I have full hp from regen or heals, I'm a sitting duck with no mana.
    With my mage this wouldn't be a problem because of his great health AND mana regen.
    From my experience, mages can kill just as well as birds (mages seem much harder to kill now than pre 1.7 but maybe that's just me), but they also have muuch more longevity through regen.

Haven't played my bear in a while so I'm not sure how they play into all
    this.

Thoughts? Comments?

Bears play great, very little pot consumption because most of their skills are stuns, so you are basically just tanking the boss. Not to mention its FUN to play a bear because you get the feeling that you are keeping your entire team alive.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yep mana is a problem for birds. But if you are OOM and you have killed 3 or 4 players then you are doing really good. As for mages been harder now? they haven't received any buff only bears with their combo and a few other things.

Devs could help this with cutting down the amount of mana it takes to cast skills on pvp.
    Sig by KLEMEN
    IGN: E͡ℭ͟ӈҿͥ͜lͣoͫղg level 56 Mega Mage/Sewer mage ~ EchelongX lvl 55 Dex Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Do you use meditation? It's pretty significant mana regen. Restore is terrible, but I really don't see how birds should ever be complaining about gear without mana regen.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

If you play your bird PvE with a Sentinel Talon set, especially if you add the right ring, your pot/defense concerns are vastly minimized. That is why you see a lot of birds in the Sewers with Sentinel Talons/Wings. Still decent DPS, great armor, good regen. Even a mix of the cheaper Henchman's set and Sentinel gear provides for solid defense and some regen and excellent damage if you prefer a bow.

EDIT: As Royce mentioned, Meditation should be maxed to lvl 6 if it is not.
    Last edited by Moogerfooger; 02-17-2011 at 02:07 PM.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah I never put a single point in meditation but I'm definitely considering it now. I'm constantly spamming health and mana pots in the sewers and I hate that. My bird feels squishier than my int mage..I'll often switch to talon/shield but I wish I could use my bow more...there's never a taunting bear when you need one.
    Kujen 56 Bird / Rahki 55 Bear / Silvanya 55 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I think meditation needs to do more. I use it and also run out of mana fast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a guide that says to not waste time on med/restore, to which I say B.S. Max meditate and have a few in restore at least. I've got the push attack at 1, and I'm thinking if I respec I'll drop the other attack that isn't the range one to 2 or 3.

For the record, I'm really really wanting to respec to a dual-spec STR bird so I can wear some of that ridiculous h/regen gear, and load out to cyber (or sentinel when I finally complete it) at bosses. A lot of it is cheap in the CS too.
    Foofatooty, 56/Elf - Munobroby, 56/Bear - Tengotengo, 56/Avian - Famlytrucksta, 20something Dog - Oldgerum, 20something Rhino

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Is Meditation really worth it? I can't imagine dropping one of my other skills to get Meditation. Granted I haven't tried any PvP yet. I've been loving the PvE content that PvPs gotten placed on the backburner. But seeing as all the new sewers gear lacks mama regen, I might have to respec and try out maxed meditation.
    Kindread - Lvl 56 Pink-Magnet ("Pink Taco!")
    Grendel - Level 25 Operative, Vicar - Noob Engineer, Emissary - Noob Commando

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No I don't use meditation or restore because I like to maximize my offensive skills for PvP. Maybe if they had a dual spec system I'd use med and restore in PvE...but they don't and I'm not gonna spend plat to switch between PvE and PvP skill setups.

And as for wearing lvl 50 gear, that waters down your dps soo much. I don't like seeing lvl 55 birds in lvl 50 gear because they're dps is a good ~60 or more points below mine. That's significant.
    Last edited by Turkster; 02-17-2011 at 02:46 PM.
    Anejeden - 55 bird
    Turkster - 53 mage
    Turksterr - 43 bear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Do you use meditation? It's pretty significant mana regen. Restore is terrible, but I really don't see how birds should ever be complaining about gear without mana regen.
    Like I said in the post above, meditation is not a skill you waste
    points on for PvP
    Anejeden - 55 bird
    Turkster - 53 mage
    Turksterr - 43 bear

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Ok. I already did all the math before but I never published it, so here it is. Meditation is useless.

Meditation (unlocked at lv 10)
    Explanation: Increases your inherent mana regeneration rate for 3 seconds.

Lv 1: 10 mana, 45.5 sec. cool-down, self-target
    3 sec. buff, +12 mana regen rate
    Lv 2: 10 mana, 45.5 sec. cool-down, self-target
    3 sec. buff, +16 mana regen rate
    Lv 3: 10 mana, 45.5 sec. cool-down, self-target
    3 sec. buff, +20 mana regen rate
    Lv 4: 10 mana, 45.5 sec. cool-down, self-target
    3 sec. buff, +24 mana regen rate
    Lv 5: 10 mana, 45.5 sec. cool-down, self-target
    3 sec. buff, +28 mana regen rate
    Lv 6: 10 mana, 45.5 sec. cool-down, self-target
    3 sec. buff, +32 mana regen rate
    I never got level 6 meditation so I'm guessing that's the level 6 stats. If it's wrong I'll be more than happy to redo the math.

Ok, so in PvE lv 53-56 runs at some sewer map takes ~5 minutes to complete. If you have max meditation (a total of 96 mana restored in 3 seconds with 45.5 second cool-down) you are able to cast it 6.59 times (6 times rounded down because you can't case it 6.59 times exactly). 6 casts of 96 mana restoration is 576 mana restored in an average 5 minute run in the sewers.

Ellie the Enchantress sells the cheapest potions in bulk, 100 potions for 1500 gold; that's 1 potion for 15 gold. 1 mana potion heals roughly 30% of my archer's mana (500 mana max) which is 150 mana. 576 mana restored from 1 5 minute sewer run is 3.84 potions saved. 3.84 potions saved x 15 gold is 57.6 gold saved per run using max meditation.

Again, you save 57.6 gold per run when you use the most amount of maxed level Meditation you can possible use in a 5-minute sewer run. If you ran sewers for, let's say, 500 times you save a measly 28,800 gold.

Are you seriously going to max meditation - again, a USELESS skill in PvE - for 57.6 gold per run? Or are you going to put those points into something more useful, let's say, something that'll help your entire party out via damage/debuffs?

edit: Oh and don't get me started on how much gold you "save" if you were to waste points on Restore. It's not as bad as Meditation, but it's still pretty bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Lol....I knew you would have a through analysis. It has nothing to do with gold, just find it more useful than putting points into thorn wall or restore, for PvE.

I have all offensive skills except Avian Scream (blah) and blinding shot (lvl 5) maxed...yet still have meditation at 6 along with dodge, thorn root, focus, evasion. 0 in thorn wall (I found it useless) and restore (likewise, as I rarely PvP).

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Thorn Wall deals roughly 250-300 damage per enemy with good equips (the description is completely wrong, it doesn't do "16 target damage per second") AND stops enemies in their tracks. It's the best AoE (aside from Cruel Shot combo) that a bird has, plus with an enchantress it does double her lightning attack w/ Nature Strike combo (plus debuffs, which I forgot exactly).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    Lol....I knew you would have a through analysis. It has nothing to do with gold, just find it more useful than putting points into thorn wall or restore, for PvE.

I have all offensive skills except Avian Scream (blah) and blinding shot (lvl 5) maxed...yet still have meditation at 6 along with dodge, thorn root, focus, evasion. 0 in thorn wall (I found it useless) and restore (likewise, as I rarely PvP).
    Thorn wall is one of the better skills. You sure you are not referring to thorn root?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    Thorn Wall deals roughly 250-300 damage per enemy with good equips (the description is completely wrong, it doesn't do "16 target damage per second") AND stops enemies in their tracks. It's the best AoE (aside from Cruel Shot combo) that a bird has, plus with an enchantress it does double her lightning attack w/ Nature Strike combo (plus debuffs, which I forgot exactly).
    I thought the Nature Strike was with Thorn Root, not wall (oops, shoulda paid more attention)....but I didn't know that in regards to the 'misleading' description.

Looks like time for a skills respec

May a rabid beserker squirrel visit your underwear. While you are wearing them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    Thorn wall is one of the better skills. You sure you are not referring to thorn root?
    Well thorn root is a must as well, to pull off the archer combo. Guess I need both and have been blissfully ignorant of an added attack I could be using.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WOW. its sad that some birds are such noobs. But I guess you'll find that in any game you play.
    Anejeden - 55 bird
    Turkster - 53 mage
    Turksterr - 43 bear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

WOW. its sad that some birds are such noobs. But I guess you'll find that in any game you play.
    Ok... Well why not explain all there is to know about birds?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Wow, it's sad that trolls are on the forum. I come here to learn what I could be missing and have learned a ton as I was a casual player for a long time, now run along and go back to your cave.

By the way, the Sentinel 50 sets have excellent crit that makes up for the lack of DPS compared to the 55 gear. Not to mention the Sentinel Talon/Wing set does 250+ DPS, has 120 + armor with the right ring, and excellent regen as a bonus. One could say that the added crit from some of the Sentinel gear makes up for the lower DPS. Just another way to look at it.
    Last edited by Moogerfooger; 02-17-2011 at 03:22 PM.