Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merchanting, a guide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default Merchanting, a guide.

Oh hey there, I didn't see you. I'm Pohdoh and I am here to give insight onto your potential careers involving merchanting. I am obviously not going to state items to merch as prices change rapidly and if more people know about items, the chances are the items will loose worth.

Before you start this depressing, but sometimes rewarding career you will need to know a few things:

• Do not state yourself a mercher

Telling people you are a mercher usually creates suspicion. This would cause them to think you are trying to get the lowest price as possible and lowballing them. So don't walk around with Filthy rich or merchant title and wear best gear in the game or people will become very doubtful of your dealings.

• Do not tell anyone what items are good to merch and what items are bad to merch

As said in introduction. If more people know about items are going to be merched, more people will buy those items which will result in a dozen people hording and you all will sell and you will be undercutted alot.

Another important aspect of merchanting is knowing what types of items fall into which category. In my opinion there are two main categories.

• Items which are discontinued
    • Items in which is gear people will use in each season

Items which are discontinued are items not lootable or buyable anymore. The reason why these items have most value is because many people quit with these items meaning less are in the community eventually increasing item worth overall.

Items which are top of the season are good to merch because some factors increase/decrease items value in a short amount of time.
    Such as the breeze egg which wasnt very hard to farm and prices started low but because many people found out about its op aa and passive, price was soon to rise.

The next thing you need to know is factors which increase or decrease items values.

- Time is the main factor.
    - Buff - Increases price of items because more people buy, less are on auction.
    - Nerf - Prices decrease because people are selling therefore prices are undercut.
    - Large amount of items - Decrease price same reason as nerf.
    - Small amount of items - Increase price same reason as buff.

As a merchant you can influence and manipulate these prices.

For example:

If you read on the forums before the server is about to go into maitenence or you read on forum they are buffing an item. You can hop in game and buy the items because price will increase and you are making there be a small amount of items increasing the price.

If STS say that a vanity will be discontinued after a update you will need to buy before people read this and use time factor to wait till price increase because more quit.

If STS mistakenly nerf an item you can buy it while its low and when they rebuff you can sell it for maximum profits.

Learning the market is another important aspect. You may be thinking 'THATS IMPOSSIBLE, THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF ITEMS ON THE MARKET'. Yes this is true but we are not merching each item because A. Not every item has worth and B. You may not be able to afford most items.

What I like to do is to find an item which is in my price range but most importantly is not all my cash because i need some if i fail and for daily activities such as feeding pets ETC.

When I find my item lets say Slag's Egg. I login everymorning and screenshot the minimal price. At the end of the week i put all my screenshots in a folder album and scroll through writing down price decrease/increase daily and weekly. This way I will know and have proof that a item is increasing or decreasing in value.

Here is a bit of advice and I know this may be repeated from merching guide to merching guide, you need to keep some of the profit you make, lets say (5-10%) in stash in case you screw up and loose all your cash that way you will have the building bricks to work your way up to the top again.

Another technique used by merchers is buying out the auction. You need alot of money for this technique as you are manipulating a items price. First of all buy all of a specific item in the market then change the price to whatever . This earns alot of money but their is high risk for undercuts. People also sometimes make a merching clan where you do the same thing but you make less money and their is less risk for loosing your cash.

To be the best mercher, you need to have speaking skills; specifically in the negotiating area. Here are some examples of what to say in different situations.

Wrong thing to do:

Seller: SELLING HAMMERJAW PM OFFER!
    Buyer: 3m?
    Seller: Deal.

The reason why this is bad is because the seller may have got a 2.5m offer and he could of been looking for around 2.8m but you just gave him alot of extra cash.

Right thing to do:

Seller: Selling HAMMERJAW PM OFFER!
    Buyer: What is your highest offer so far?
    Seller: 2.5m
    Buyer: 2.8m?
    Seller: Deal.

You see the difference here, don't just go all out making prices and especially do not lowball otherwise people will add you to ignore and it will hurt your future selling.

When selling an item don't just sit in town spamming it. People will ignore you and again it will hurt future trades.

- Use the forum, post a thread in what item you are selling and then put your IGN - More audience
    - Ask your friend to ask in their guild - Gives you a bigger audience
    - Ask your guild if anyone knows a buyer or a seller.

This is now the end of the guide, this guide uses my own words and are not copied from any other guide(s).

Sorry if it is hard to understand what i write, I am 100% british speaking fluent but I find it hard, as many other people do to integrate my speaking into text.
    I hope this guide helps any aspiring merchers, I wish you all well and god bless our economy.
    Last edited by Pohdoh; 12-30-2014 at 07:23 AM.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Pohdoh For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    465 Posts

Nice one. Good job

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dex Scene View Post
    Nice one. Good job
    Thank's for feedback, Hope it helped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

Ohh this is totally PERFECT! Good job +1

[Gamer 🎮] [Public Loudspeaker 📢] [Forum adept 🔧] [Economist 💰] [Positive user 💡] [Verified Profile ✔️]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
    Ohh this is totally PERFECT! Good job +1
    Makes me feel good to help man, Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

Thanks.

The problem is i've tried merching, but haven't been successful. I'll buy an item in CS for what I deem as a good price, then I can't resell it. I hold onto it, and keep trying to sell it, until the price has dropped to where I lose out.
    "Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare." - Japanese Proverb
    IGN: Pureloot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Azemen View Post
    Thanks.

The problem is i've tried merching, but haven't been successful. I'll buy an item in CS for what I deem as a good price, then I can't resell it. I hold onto it, and keep trying to sell it, until the price has dropped to where I lose out.
    Thats why I say you have to watch market.. Its not searching an item and if its 100k below buy it.. because that may be proper price then people will undercut that. You need to figure out the price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

I know, I mean i'll buy an underpriced item, but am unsuccessful in re-listing it for the right price.
    "Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare." - Japanese Proverb
    IGN: Pureloot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Nice guide, now 50%(and more) from our community gonna be a merchant with this wonderful guide .

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hozukreti View Post
    Nice guide, now 50%(and more) from our community gonna be a merchant with this wonderful guide .

Thanks.
    Ty man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

U forgot about ppl demand factor... xD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

+ Added influencing the market yourself
    + Added Negotiating
    + Added tips when selling or buying an item

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hozukreti View Post

Thanks.
    Lol, most of the people in game are merchants.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raselph View Post
    Lol, most of the people in game are merchants.
    Everyone has merchanting qualities and ideas (Buying low selling high) but not everyone takes advantage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts

Its really hard to merch when you start. Listing fee is too crazy high. You need atleast 50-100k to be safe. The best items are always DC items but people dont usually want to wait til they become DC and worth alot, fast cash is what everyone wants.
    Bored? Check out my How to Catch Series(Click one):

Brave Bear, Sneakie Birdie, Majestic Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NotYoCookiez View Post
    Its really hard to merch when you start. Listing fee is too crazy high. You need atleast 50-100k to be safe. The best items are always DC items but people dont usually want to wait til they become DC and worth alot, fast cash is what everyone wants.
    This guide isn't aimed towards people who just started game. Anyway you don't need to always list in auction. That's why I made part of the guide based around selling out of auction and negotiating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Fantastic guide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Psychologist View Post
    Fantastic guide.
    Thank's Myst, Some of these tips were from you believe it or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by justhell View Post
    U forgot about ppl demand factor... xD
    Yer.. Soz will add l8r

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Pohdoh For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts