Thread: Properties abbreviations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Properties abbreviations

Hey,
    I've been trying to find a list of explanations of what the various abbreviations refer to, the ones like "M/s", "Crit" (as opposed to "DMG"), "dps", etc.. These may be standard MMO terms, but PL is the first MMO I've played, so an intro to the real basics would be helpful..

I've met a few lost souls wandering around asking the same question to the general populace, so I'm not alone in my ignorance

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

M/s is mana regen (mana per second). Crit is your critical hit percentage, or how frequently you do about double damage. DPS is damage per second, a simple calculation based on damage and weapon speed, which does not account for damage mitigated by target armor.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i agree, if someone could put something together to explain these terms it would really be helpful to those of us who are newer to the mmo scene.. Maybe also explain how the numbers associated with these attributes play a role in deciding on weapon/armor choices. thanks!

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

To add on Royce's post

STR, DEX, and INT all increase your other attributes but I listed what they increase the most.

STR: Increases Dodge, Health, Health Regen (H/s); increases skill damage for warriors.
    DEX: Increases Hit%, Crit; increases skill damage for archers.
    INT: Increases Mana, Mana Regen (M/s); increases skill damage for mages.
    Hit%: Percent chance you will hit an enemy. For example, a hit% of 40 means you have a 40% to hit an enemy (excluding their innate Dodge capabilities). Do note that there is a probable cap on hit%, meaning that a hit% over 100 doesn't mean you are guaranteed to hit an enemy 100% of the time.
    Crit: Percent chance of you critically hitting an enemy. Both your normal attacks and skills can cause critical damage, and like Hit%, the higher the number the more likely you'll crit an enemy. Critically hitting an enemy will cause you to do double your intended damage.
    Dodge: Percent chance that you will dodge an enemy attack. In my opinion this is just as important as Armor in terms of defending yourself from enemies, since if you successfully dodge an enemy attack you get no damage.
    Health: Your standard pool of health.
    Regen (Health Regen aka H/s): The amount of health automatically healed per second.
    Mana: Your standard pool of mana.
    Regen (Mana Regen aka M/s): The amount of mana automatically regenerated per second.
    Damage: Damage range of your normal attack, influenced by your main stat (STR, DEX, INT) as well as equips. Note that you will not be doing the exact damage range shown in this window because enemies have armor as well that decreases your damage. Therefore your effective damage, or damage seen when you hit an enemy, is [effective damage = damage - enemy armor].
    DPS: Amount of damage dealt per second. This is a function of damage and weapon speed (shown in weapon description) but does not take into account enemy armor.
    Armor: Your defense against enemy attack. Every one armor point is equivalent to one less damage an enemy will do to you. Note that enemy's have a "minimum amount of damage" they are able to do to you regardless of how much armor you have. This armor value is different for all enemies across all campaigns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you for replying so quickly
    Royce - I kind of guessed what the letters stood for, but wanted to be sure & get a bit more info. Thks !

Physiologic - what can I say... That's perfect. Now I can make informed choices instead of just pulling the trigger! I'll refer other clooless noobs to this thread, for reference.

Thanks again!

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Askterbro View Post
    Thank you for replying so quickly
    Royce - I kind of guessed what the letters stood for, but wanted to be sure & get a bit more info. Thks !

Physiologic - what can I say... That's perfect. Now I can make informed choices instead of just pulling the trigger! I'll refer other clooless noobs to this thread, for reference.

Thanks again!
    Those are good, but for further reference there is a big thread of these in New Players:
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...BRB-mean!-lt-3

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Most of the abbreviations can be found using a search engine since they're used by tons of games. The only exception is those very few that are only from the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks so much Royce and Physiologic for the great info.

as a bear trying to decide on what weapon/armor to equip...I pick the helm/armor/shield that has the highest armor and the one handed weapon that has the highest dps. i basically want to do as much damage as possible and have as much defense as possible.

my question is this...am i simplifying this too much? could i do 'better' by picking equipment that maybe does not have the highest armor or dps or lieu of something that boosts some of the other stats that you've mentioned (hit%, crit, dodge, etc.)

i made it to lvl55 yesterday and I'm using a lvl 55 helm/armor/shield (all orange) because the armor is better than my old lvl 50 pink equipment. but for a weapon i'm still using my lvl50 limbchopper of destiny because it gives me the best dps for a one handed weapon.

what are the main things that people take into consideration when they are choosing which weapon/armor to equip?

thanks!